• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Private Baxter

Established Member
Strode college Street.
I should have known that, as a former student there!
Back in those days single decks were used (B10BLEs and latterly B7RLEs) and could generally cope as an hourly service, although I do remember some full and standing at peak times.
For years a Wells bus was outstationed at Yeovil to run a morning special to Strode (and afternoon return).
Now the 77A, I wonder how that will work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I should have known that, as a former student there!
Back in those days single decks were used (B10BLEs and latterly B7RLEs) and could generally cope as an hourly service, although I do remember some full and standing at peak times.
For years a Wells bus was outstationed at Yeovil to run a morning special to Strode (and afternoon return).
Now the 77A, I wonder how that will work.
Aah...but do you remember the 376 in the early 1990s?

Only hourly between Bristol and Street, continuing to Yeovil every two hours. There were also shorts between Wells and Street plus the Bridgwater service (163) to make it half hourly Wells to Street. Operated by Lynxes and REs with the occasional Optare StarRider!

Wells is seemingly getting back the services that it lost c.2015?

Private Baxter

Established Member
Aah...but do you remember the 376 in the early 1990s?

Only hourly between Bristol and Street, continuing to Yeovil every two hours. There were also shorts between Wells and Street plus the Bridgwater service (163) to make it half hourly Wells to Street. Operated by Lynxes and REs with the occasional Optare StarRider!

Wells is seemingly getting back the services that it lost c.2015?
Ha, almost, but not quite! I first started using it regularly in the late 1990s, by which point the 376 was hourly all the way to Yeovil, with the hourly 163 to Bridgwater, maintaing the half hourly Wells to Street coridoor, plus occasional extras to Taunton on the 29.
The 376 was split in 2000, the southern section becoming the 377, though in reality nothing changed as it was a through service.

Wells is looking healthier now, and I like to think the 126 will complete the line-up, although I dont think it will, so I guess the 29 is the tradeoff. I can't now remember when the 375/377 moved to BoS - can it really have been that long ago?!

Snow1964

Established Member
The Cymru Enviro 200 MMCs are getting transferred over to Bath today.
Edit: 67091-67100 and 67104-67106 have transferred over.

Seems they have decided to retain the Cymru branding on the sides for time being, I had assumed it was vinyl wrap and would be removed within days of their transfer in October, but clearly not.

Still seems odd here in Wiltshire having buses plastered with Wales (in Welsh), hopefully no one reads it as a destination.

LeylandLynx

Why did First change their app to show a vague 20+ available seats until it drops below 20? There's a difference between simplifying things and being nebulous. I got my hands on an older version of the app that stills always shows the number of available seats.

Citistar

Seems they have decided to retain the Cymru branding on the sides for time being, I had assumed it was vinyl wrap and would be removed within days of their transfer in October, but clearly not.

Still seems odd here in Wiltshire having buses plastered with Wales (in Welsh), hopefully no one reads it as a destination.

I did notice on Monday that somebody has attempted to remove the "Cymru" from the front of at least one of the E200MMCs, except that it appeared to be attached to the C of Cymru, resulting in the new brand for Wiltshire being "lipper".

Volvodart

Established Member
Why did First change their app to show a vague 20+ available seats until it drops below 20? There's a difference between simplifying things and being nebulous. I got my hands on an older version of the app that stills always shows the number of available seats.
I downloaded the version which still has the actual seats on the map, as in Aberdeen not all buses are shown on the bus stops feature making it impossible to see quieter buses. This version is dated start of 2023, as the summer 2023 ones only show the 20+ on the map with the autumn versions showing the 20+ at stops too.

LeylandLynx

I downloaded the version which still has the actual seats on the map, as in Aberdeen not all buses are shown on the bus stops feature making it impossible to see quieter buses. This version is dated start of 2023, as the summer 2023 ones only show the 20+ on the map with the autumn versions showing the 20+ at stops too.
The version I got is 5.2.0, which I believe was the last version until they changed it. You can actually see how many people board the bus at a stop.

Private Baxter

Established Member
It was May 2016 - took some hunting down
Well done! Still, well over seven years ago!
I remember now, Taunton did it all as part of one big triangular interworking, in which it did 55 to Wells, 77 to Yeovil, and 54 back to Taunton. The 55 was eventually replaced with the 29, making the whole operation much longer, and so it was split.

Callum15632

I don't know if this is the correct page to talk about this but if my birthday was in August and the birthday bus pass scheme ends on 1st August could I apply for it in July and still be able to use it in August?

Snow1964

Established Member
I did notice on Monday that somebody has attempted to remove the "Cymru" from the front of at least one of the E200MMCs, except that it appeared to be attached to the C of Cymru, resulting in the new brand for Wiltshire being "lipper".
I have spotted that, and now I've also seen some where it has been done on the sides too.

It's a mystery why instructions should have been given to remove Cymru and the overlapping C then leave the word lipper in situ
I admit I had to check a dictionary for lipper, which means a slightly rough or rippled sea. It makes it even more farcical leaving the word as could imply the buses offer a rough (not smooth) or uneven service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have spotted that, and now I've also seen some where it has been done on the sides too.

It's a mystery why instructions should have been given to remove Cymru and the overlapping C then leave the word lipper in situ
I admit I had to check a dictionary for lipper, which means a slightly rough or rippled sea. It makes it even more farcical leaving the word as could imply the buses offer a rough (not smooth) or uneven service.

There have been photos circulating on Facebook where some have now been 'adapted' into Bath City - I'm not going to say rebranded as it looks like the base livery has been retained and the vinyl lettering removed and replaced.

From the photos it looked a rather rush job as you could still see the outlines of the previous lettering

Citistar

It looks like something of a rushed job, presumably being carried out on Friday as the D1 was solid B7s (all in Bath City livery) for most of the day. From the photos i've seen thus far, i cannot help but concur with the view of it looking like something of a slapdash job - the panels along the windows needed properly cleaning off before the new lettering went on.

Callum15632

It started in August 2023 and runs for 12 months; you should have got it last August.
I was busy last August and only found out on 14th August that it was up and running. I thought it had been cancelled as it was supposed to be introduced in July. There was a bus advertised for it but it got repainted. Is 69501 a permanent transfer to LH or is it temporary? If permanent, what routes are they gonna be for? Also are there more that are gonna come if 69501 is a permanent transfer to LH?

Last edited:

Marcus Fryer

I noticed today that First West of England are operating a ‘closed door’ timetabled service 7 days a week between Tyndall’s Park and Newport for University of Bristol students. Seems to have started 17 September. Today it’s in the hands of 47444 and 69501, but in the early days it was a double-deck operation, and double deckers still are used on some journeys.

freetoview33

Established Member
I noticed today that First West of England are operating a ‘closed door’ timetabled service 7 days a week between Tyndall’s Park and Newport for University of Bristol students. Seems to have started 17 September. Today it’s in the hands of 47444 and 69501, but in the early days it was a double-deck operation, and double deckers still are used on some journeys.
That is correct I've seen it quite a few times outside the hippodrome

stait.john

Why can't deckers be used? Is there some sort of problem that prevents them from being used?
Loadings don’t justify it and with overcrowding on 36 and 72, it makes sense to use saloons, but it’s proven that Streetlites werent up to the job so two spare Volvo B7RLEs have been brought in instead.

Callum15632

Loadings don’t justify it and with overcrowding on 36 and 72, it makes sense to use saloons, but it’s proven that Streetlites werent up to the job so two spare Volvo B7RLEs have been brought in instead.
What are happening to 69437/43/44/45/46/47/57 69505/7/9/10/11?

henairs

Seeing according to BusTimes five Bath B7RLEs were out on service today Sunday I would say some are staying in Bath at least for the time being.
Some would be useful on 77 Yeovil - Wells turns (3required) when WOE take over this route from Monday 27th November. Just a thought but these (59 plates) have been used on this route before.
As Wells depot comes under Bath could be a possibility but only a thought so have to wait until next week to gain an idea.
Interestingly Bath’s 69511 has been used on route learning for the last few weeks.

Martin2012

The 36 seems to be largely in the hands of Streetlites at the moment with the occasional appearance of a double decker. This seems to have been the case since about mid October. The route does still seem to mainly get deckers on a Sunday though.

Have noticed Streetdecks appearing on the 72 on a few occasion but I thought the 72 deliberately had single deckers due to the fact that at Temple Meads, it stops under the canopy.

Callum15632

The 36 seems to be largely in the hands of Streetlites at the moment with the occasional appearance of a double decker. This seems to have been the case since about mid October. The route does still seem to mainly get deckers on a Sunday though.

Have noticed Streetdecks appearing on the 72 on a few occasion but I thought the 72 deliberately had single deckers due to the fact that at Temple Meads, it stops under the canopy.
The 72 is now double deckers.

WelshBluebird

Established Member