• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West Yorkshire & York discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Just a wee reminder about posting photos:
  • If the photo is your own, obviously you're free to do whatever you like with it, but we'd ask you to post something like "my own photo".
  • If the photo is someone else's, they hold the copyright. You need to have the permission of the copyright holder, and the photographer should be credited appropriately ("Credit to photographer" is not sufficient!) A suitable link to the source of the image would also be helpful.
  • If you're not able to obtain permission, we have no objection to posting the link to an external site where the photo is published. With sites such as Flickr, posting the link on a separate line should generate a preview anyway.
  • Any image should be accompanied by a descriptive caption to make your post more accessible. If the image is a graphic which contains text, this should be transcribed.
Some people are fiercely protective over their photos and I've known people who have pulled their whole collections down from the web because they weren't approached for permission in the first instance, and this benefits nobody. Please do be respectful of others' intellectual property.

Many thanks

First two arrived in York today (source: my eyes). Weirdly they’re branded for the 66/66a not 66/67, including the older ‘short’ 66a of East Campus to Merchantgate only

(edit: license plate for one is MF72 WBG, didn’t catch the other)

Last edited:
There’s no slack in the fleet atm. Having a few extra buses is not a bad thing, even if there’s no drivers to drive them

Seehof

Thank you. It always seems to me that the depot is very cramped but I have not seen it properly beyond the front entrance and Waitrose’s car park!
There is always a lot of criticism of First York but I use their services a lot and find them quite reliable at the moment. Off this morning using the 1 and 3 for my Covid jab. It never ceases to amaze me the number of York residents who do not know that the Askham Bar mass vaccination and Health care centre can be reached easily on P&R route 3 and for free in both directions for bus pass holders.

citybus2500

Maybe these were the ones supposedly going to First Scotland East, who probably needed that
No, the ones ordered for FSE are the new ones in Leeds. These were always intended for York. Those for FSE, Ipswich and Potteries were required as lower height, so presumably cheaper to order all the batch with the same spec.

Volvodart

Established Member
If they were for First Scotland East, why are Leeds ones not low height then?

Scotrail88

how many are actually due?

I would have thought EVs for the uni would have been what they went for

citybus2500

how many are actually due?

I would have thought EVs for the uni would have been what they went for

12 for York. The StreetDeck order is . .

79 StreetDecks

15 - Ipswich
12 - Potteries
31 - SPS
9 - Scotland East > Leeds
12 - York

I have now found the original outline sheet that went to builders to bid against and it has them all listed as 4.2m high. Other differences were that the Ipswich buses should be capable of being fitted with guidewheels and that the Somerset Passenger Solutions and 6 of the 9 First Scotland East buses to be fitted with seatbelts. Cab air-con was also listed against the SPS and Ipswich buses.

Obviously the final contract ended up looking a little different, but that its't unusual.

44 EVs are due in early 2024.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Would someone be able to point me in the right direction as to which fleet numbers were due for Scotland East?

citybus2500

And for York, please
Deliveries started at 35901 and so far the order is Leeds, Ipswich then York

15 - Ipswich (35910-24)
12 - Potteries
31 - SPS
9 - Scotland East > Leeds (35901-9)
12 - York (35925-36)

One would assume that Potteries will be next then Somerset Passenger Solutions (SPS). Assuming the Potteries ones aren't getting shipped off elsewhere.

To add, not all 12 of York’s are coming in 66 livery apparently. Can’t confirm it yet, but this is what I’m hearing

LAIRA

Deliveries started at 35901 and so far the order is Leeds, Ipswich then York

15 - Ipswich (35910-24)
12 - Potteries
31 - SPS
9 - Scotland East > Leeds (35901-9)
12 - York (35925-36)

One would assume that Potteries will be next then Somerset Passenger Solutions (SPS). Assuming the Potteries ones aren't getting shipped off elsewhere.
Thanks for the details. Can we assume that as First are currently buying 2nd hand buses a plenty that the current SPS Streetdecks may join another First company?

Seehof

I do not know but I cannot imagine the Uni services need 12 buses. No sign of anything from Waitrose’s car park this morning. But there is a wall and I could only see a double deck P&R bus.
Surely, some buses will be leaving the York fleet?
Will they actually stay on the Uni routes. No effort is seemingly made with the current branded Uni buses.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Thanks for the details. Can we assume that as First are currently buying 2nd hand buses a plenty that the current SPS Streetdecks may join another First company?
The stuff they've been buying has been fairly well used fleet in the main - 2009-2011 ex London stuff though some ex Yellow Buses is a bit newer. The Streetdecks in Somerset are 2019 vintage so a lot fresher.

I do not know but I cannot imagine the Uni services need 12 buses. No sign of anything from Waitrose’s car park this morning. But there is a wall and I could only see a double deck P&R bus.
Surely, some buses will be leaving the York fleet?
Will they actually stay on the Uni routes. No effort is seemingly made with the current branded Uni buses.
I should think the B9s will be heading off elsewhere from York - places like Essex and Eastern Counties still have numbers of elderly Tridents and ALX B7TLs to displace (albeit much reduced) and it looks like the B7 Gemini is also now seriously under threat, so plenty of places that would welcome them.

Seehof

If anybody can give details of the fleet numbers of individual buses being introduced and moving around I, as I am sure many others, would be very very grateful.

Once again, unless anything changes no buses are leaving the York fleet. 8 (current PVR of 66/67) of the new SDs are Uni branded, 4 are supposedly “city” branded - whether this is Urban or the base dark blue of the metrodeckers is yet to be seen. Buses would never have been visible from the waitrose car park, the 2 I saw were visible from James St itself and that’s how I clocked them.

I believe the current uni B9s will be cascaded onto city duties, much like some of them already are due to the reduced timetable (still!) in operation on the 66/67. Realistically the uni students need more buses, I’m seeing 3/4 66/67s in a row all full and standing coming into town and the queue at the Merchantgate stop is awful all day - not just peak times

There is literally 0 slack in the York fleet. Spare buses are not a bad thing.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Once again, unless anything changes no buses are leaving the York fleet. 8 (current PVR of 66/67) of the new SDs are Uni branded, 4 are supposedly “city” branded - whether this is Urban or the base dark blue of the metrodeckers is yet to be seen. Buses would never have been visible from the waitrose car park, the 2 I saw were visible from James St itself and that’s how I clocked them.

I believe the current uni B9s will be cascaded onto city duties, much like some of them already are due to the reduced timetable (still!) in operation on the 66/67. Realistically the uni students need more buses, I’m seeing 3/4 66/67s in a row all full and standing coming into town and the queue at the Merchantgate stop is awful all day - not just peak times

There is literally 0 slack in the York fleet. Spare buses are not a bad thing.
An extra 12 vehicles would seem to be a bit much if new vehicles arrive and nothing departs.

Seehof

Thank you for all this information. I too have seen long queues at Merchantgate as well as the station at certain times. The Uni here in York, especially its location and geography, is like a small town itself.

I’ve been sent a photo of the new “city” livery for York on one of the streetdecks. Been asked not to share it, but it’s uh - interesting…

I’ve been sent a photo of the new “city” livery for York on one of the streetdecks. Been asked not to share it, but it’s uh - interesting…
It's certainly different. I for one welcome new liveries with bold colours. It makes my hobby more enjoyable than seeing everything in 'Olympia' or 'Urban' for example.

The photo you mention is available of flickr for anyone to view (James' Bus Photos'). I don't want to share the link directly.

Andyh82

Established Member
Far too dark a livery, and also I thought the P&R vehicles were supposed to stand out which is why they are in a different livery. They won’t stand out if the whole fleet is very dark blue

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It's certainly different. I for one welcome new liveries with bold colours. It makes my hobby more enjoyable than seeing everything in 'Olympia' or 'Urban' for example.

The photo you mention is available of flickr for anyone to view (James' Bus Photos'). I don't want to share the link directly.
Sharing the link directly is fine, provided the photo is in the public domain already.

Edit - I couldn't resist having a look myself. To save anyone else the bother of searching for it, here's the link:

Last edited: