• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is Step Three the leagues below the Alliance/Nationwide [sic] League (the fifth tier)?
Step One of the Non League "pyramid" is now the National League (current league sponsors are 'Vanarama').

It's effectively the fifth tier down if you count the Premier League, the Championship and EFL Leagues One and Two as being the four tiers above.

Step Two of the Non League Pyramid (Tier six) is National League North and National League South.

Steps Three and Four are the Northern Premier League, the Isthmian League and the Southern League.

Steps Five and Six of Non League are various regional leagues, there's quite a few of them, including, for example, the North West Counties League.

In theory, any team can find its own "true" level on playing merit, invariably available financial resources will have a major say in this.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Step One of the Non League "pyramid" is now the National League (current league sponsors are 'Vanarama').

It's effectively the fifth tier down if you count the Premier League, the Championship and EFL Leagues One and Two as being the four tiers above.

Step Two of the Non League Pyramid (Tier six) is National League North and National League South.

Steps Three and Four are the Northern Premier League, the Isthmian League and the Southern League.

Steps Five and Six of Non League are various regional leagues, there's quite a few of them, including, for example, the North West Counties League.

In theory, any team can find its own "true" level on playing merit, invariably available financial resources will have a major say in this.

Many thanks for that.

Things are not going to plan for Rafael Benitez during Everton pre-season...

How could Toffees moan, at the experienced signings that they have brought in?

Andros Townsend’s wonder strike v Manchester City in 2018, was the definition of quality and it’s what they need.

Very much - seeing the reports of a certain player, being the one arrested for those suspected offences, should rightfully shock everyone.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Pre-season friendly

Hyde United FC 4 .... Bradford (Park Avenue) AFC 4

My son and some of the other teachers at their school went to this match. He said it was very entertaining, but felt Bradford P A who play in the National League North, a tier ahead of Hyde United from the Northern Premier League, Premier Division, were the likely winners when they took a 4-2 lead, but the Hyde centre-forward scored two goals to bring the score to 4-4. The attendance was over 200, which was not bad for a pre-season friendly in this Covid-19 pandemic time when relaxations had only just been lifted.

Last edited:

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
A very entertaining game with some excellent finishes. Bradford, sadly, have been bring on large numbers of trialists in the second half of PSFs so Hyde's fightback came as no surprise to me.

When we played Bradford City a couple of weeks earlier, our manager brought on 10 substitutes and we ended up playing the last 15 minutes with 10 men during which time we let in three more goals. The reporter from the local Telegraph & Argus didn't even notice as he waxed lyrical about our near neighbours..

I've just received my unofficial "fan edition" programme for the Italy vs Austria game at Wembley and have to say it's an excellent effort. Unlike the official generic 100-page volume for the earlier London games, the 12-page fan edition produced in the Ukraine actually lists the two competing teams and their results thus far. I'm so impressed, I've just sent off for the fan edition for the final. Again the 100-page official version specially produced for the final didn't even list the players, most of whom don't even get a mention. This will be very disappointing when they come to show it to their grandchildren.

Interestingly the fan edition uses the logos of UEFA and all the sponsors so has it been at least tolerated by the powers that be?

Copies of the fan edition for most Euro 2020 games can be bought on eBay.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
I can't believe Messi has actually left Barcelona. Never thought it would happen. That club is in such a mess financially, there are rumours that they cannot afford to register their new signings Depay, Aguero and Garcia. Its really not looking good for Barcelona.

And even as an Arsenal fan, I'd love it if Messi came to the Premier League, sadly it seems he will be going to PSG.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
You don't often get a season starting off with both Rangers and Celtic suffering early season defeats.

Manchester United gave the new Everton manager something to ponder in the friendly match, with United winning 4-0.

Always worth looking at the Highland League for eye-catching scorelines .... Buckie Thistle 10 ... Keith 0

Lots of FA Cup qualifying games on today, so it will be interesting to see any early FA Cup upsets....and any big scores.
It was a club from the Channel Isles, making their FA Cup debut appearance who were the top scorers in the Saturday matches.....

Jersey Bulls 10 ... Horsham YMCA 1

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member

FT:
Brentford 2-0 Arsenal

Canos 22 ...........................
Norgaard 73 ......................
Football is back, folks.

brad465

Established Member
When you lose so badly that the Rwandan President gets openly critical:

Rwandan President and Arsenal fan Paul Kagame has vented his frustration at the club's shock defeat by a newly promoted club on the opening day of the English Premier League season.
Brentford, after a 74-year absence from top-tier football, beat Arsenal 2-0.
Mr Kagame often comments on the Gunners - a club sponsored by his government.
After Friday's away game, he tweeted: "We just must NOT excuse or Accept mediocrity. A team has to be built with purpose to win win win."

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Pitching In Northern Premier League ... Premier Division

Hyde United 0 ... Atherton Collieries 1

Atherton always seem to win when they play Hyde in recent seasons..whether at home or away... :rolleyes:

********************************************************************************************************

It is always worth having a glance at both the Lowland League and the Highland League for some eye-catching results. Today, the Lowland League had them:-

Vale of Leithen 0 ... Celtic B 10

Rangers B 9 ... Gretna 2008 1

Bonnyrigg Rose 7 ... Edinburgh University 0

Last edited:

Loppylugs

Is this a naff idea by the Scots to get Celtic and Rangers B teams into the league by pitching their professionals against part timers or are they not to be allowed into play-offs against league two sides at end of season?

Darandio

Established Member
Is this a naff idea by the Scots to get Celtic and Rangers B teams into the league by pitching their professionals against part timers or are they not to be allowed into play-offs against league two sides at end of season?

They were invited by the Lowland League and included following a majority vote of clubs for one year only. They cannot be promoted.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
They are undoubtedly playing a long game, but at the moment, the Rangers 'B' and Celtic 'B' teams wouldn't be eligible to participate in any end of season promotion play offs to SPFL League Two, as @Darandio points out.

birchesgreen

Established Member
B teams are quite common in Spain even as high as the second division there, they do have a number of restrictions placed on them though, including they can't be in the same division as their "A team" of course. Wasn't there a case recently where a B team was near the top of the second division but had to be relegated because the A team was relegated to the 2nd?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
First game of the season for Darlington v Telford..................... cancelled at 12:00 on the day due to a COVID outbreak. That then puts the game next Saturday at Brackley at risk. I was going to that :(

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
You can see the advantage of those "B" teams as it gives younger players of top clubs in Scotland the opportunity to play regular competitive matches against more experienced players than they would meet at the normal lower competition level.
That's as may be, but the general opinion in Scotland is that the Rangers 'B' and Celtic 'B' teams have leapfrogged the Scottish pyramid system by coming in at this regional level, having "bribed" Lowland League member clubs to admit them with the promise of a special one-off payment, thereby quite possibly destroying the concept of sporting integrity (i.e. promotion/relegation solely on playing merit) in the process.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
That's as may be, but the general opinion in Scotland is that the Rangers 'B' and Celtic 'B' teams have leapfrogged the Scottish pyramid system by coming in at this regional level, having "bribed" Lowland League member clubs to admit them with the promise of a special one-off payment, thereby quite possibly destroying the concept of sporting integrity (i.e. promotion/relegation solely on playing merit) in the process.
I note what you say, but you must admit that those players in their respective "B" teams need to play against the better players who play in the Lowland League, rather than those of a somewhat lesser playing ability in leagues further down the Scottish pyramid system.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I note what you say, but you must admit that those players in their respective "B" teams need to play against the better players who play in the Lowland League, rather than those of a somewhat lesser playing ability in leagues further down the Scottish pyramid system.
As well that you are raising that point on here, rather than a dedicated Scottish football-related forum, as you'd have probably just started another hundred page long flame war! :rolleyes:

SteveM70

Established Member

What have the Highland League teams had to say about this, given that their champions play the Lowland champions for the right to play the bottom team in Scottish league two?

scotrail158713

Established Member
Some current Lowland League teams really aren't any better than teams lower down the pyramid currently. The B teams would learn just as much by playing teams at the bottom of the pyramid, and also protect "sporting integrity" by doing so.

There is a view that certain clubs in the Lowland League are only there because of they were there before all the ex-junior teams joined the pyramid. These clubs are unlikely to still be there in a few years time, as some of the ex-junior teams are far better and will move up the leagues, relegating current Lowland League teams as they do so. For example, I was actually at the Bonnyrigg v Edinburgh Uni game mentioned previously, and the university team are decent but I can't see them still being in the Lowland League in a few years' time.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What have the Highland League teams had to say about this, given that their champions play the Lowland champions for the right to play the bottom team in Scottish league two?
All I can say in response to this is to ask the question, since teams from below Scottish Divisions 2 (as it is currently known) entered the highest echelon for Scottish football, how many clubs from the Highland League, the Lowland League and any other league have gained access to that level,

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
All I can say in response to this is to ask the question, since teams from below Scottish Divisions 2 (as it is currently known) entered the highest echelon for Scottish football, how many clubs from the Highland League, the Lowland League and any other league have gained access to that level,
At least two (Inverness Caley Thistle and Ross County) have reached the top flight and stayed there for a few years.