• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Drogba11CFC

Southern Premier League South Division

Harrow Borough 1...Winchester City 1 (Moore 12; Obeng 17)

Winchester City's first away game at Step 3 was fortunately free from ASLEF interference, so it was the 1044 from Alton to Waterloo before the Bakerloo line to Marylebone, where I met my mates from Winchester City and had a couple of drinks at the station bar and another at the sports bar before catching the 1353 to Aylesbury as far as Northolt Park. It was a somewhat depleted City side, with Bentley, Mlambo and Hill all injured, but they started the match very much on top only to fall behind to the hosts' first real attempt on goal. However, five minutes later a Jamie Barron free kick was met by Silvano Obeng, who fired the ball into the roof of the net. City then began to dominate, with Claudio Herbert and Alex MacAllister both forcing saves either side of Obeng sending a half volley just wide; Obeng did have the ball in the net again with ten minutes left, but the flag was already up for offside, before Charlie Philpott saved a free kick on the stroke of half time. Almost immediately into the second half, Danny King cleared off the line before Max Smith had a shot saved. Late in the match substitute Henry Brooks saw a shot saved before teeing up Josh Bertie, whose overhead kick went just over. In stoppage time, Archive Willcox saw a header saved.

Other results:

Beaconsfield Town 3...Plymouth Parkway 1

Chesham United 1...Hartley Wintney 0

Hayes & Yeading United 1...Salisbury 0

Merthyr Town 1...Bracknell Town 3

North Leigh 0...Metropolitan Police 2

Poole Town 2...Tiverton Town 4

Swindon Supermarine 4...Hendon 1

Truro City 4...Dorchester Town 0

Weston-Super-Mare 3...Gosport Borough 0

Yate Town 2...Hanwell Town 3

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Southport 1 v Darlo 0

Same old Darlo. Cant play against limited but well organised and physical sides. We need a nasty b'stard in midfield. We never get owt at Southport

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Top of the league with a game in hand. Someone get that open top bus booked... :p
They say it is "Sod's Law" to make such a posting above, as the result of the match on Wednesday night must have been infuriating for you.

*******************************************************************************************************************************

Northern Premier League...Premier Division

Gainsborough Trinity 1 ... Hyde United 1

Hyde must have wondered if a difficult mid-week match was due as Gainsborough had won 3-0 away in their first match of the season at the weekend and Hyde did well to come away with a draw. The league "shake-up" sees a number of new fixtures for Hyde.

Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Established Member
In the good old days, each successful team had such a player in midfield. Norman Hunter at Leeds United was a prime example of such a player.

Vinnie Jones was another textbook example. I'd say that a midfield hardman is absolutely essential in football, because they can dictate the game.

As the years go by, there seems little difference now between League 2 and the National League, as clubs relegated from League 2 usually find out.

In fairness, it's been like that for a long time. It's a bit different now that the playoffs have been expanded, but back in the 1990s and 2000s, the sheer difficulty of getting out of the then-Conference meant that promoted teams normally were capable enough of finishing mid-table at least.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In fairness, it's been like that for a long time. It's a bit different now that the playoffs have been expanded, but back in the 1990s and 2000s, the sheer difficulty of getting out of the then-Conference meant that promoted teams normally were capable enough of finishing mid-table at least.
I still remember many years ago when it was only a demise of clubs that saw admittance for replacement in the Football League. The new club in question being admitted was Peterborough United and their home and away matches against Oldham Athletic in the Fourth Division were said to have been of a far higher standard than normally seen in that division, both being drawn matches.

I was pleased to see Scottish Division 2 finally bite the bullet some years ago and new blood entered into the Scottish league system. I still remember Third Lanark playing in the Scottish League many years ago.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I still remember many years ago when it was only a demise of clubs that saw admittance for replacement in the Football League. The new club in question being admitted was Peterborough United and their home and away matches against Oldham Athletic in the Fourth Division were said to have been of a far higher standard than normally seen in that division, both being drawn matches.

I was pleased to see Scottish Division 2 finally bite the bullet some years ago and new blood entered into the Scottish league system. I still remember Third Lanark playing in the Scottish League many years ago.
Didn’t the bottom club in the fourth division have to “apply for re-election”, but in practice nobody ever failed to stay in, unless as you say they completely failed financially?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

Didn’t the bottom club in the fourth division have to “apply for re-election”, but in practice nobody ever failed to stay in, unless as you say they completely failed financially?

There have sporadic attempts to resurrect Third Lanark over the years, although I am unsure how it would be successful being as their former home ground Cathkin Park is not that far away from Queens Park (the very first football team in Scotland, which the very first England v Scotland match was actually against Queens Park). I think Third Lanark may be similar to Accrington Stanley in that when Stanley folded, they never actually resigned membership of the English FA and Stanley were reborn later.

Regarding the basement division (Tier 4), I can remember that there was no promotion or relegation to and from the fifth tier (Nationwide Conference) in 1994, 95, and 96. This was due to the Conference winners Kidderminster Harriers, Macclesfield Town, and Stevenage Borough all having grounds that had wooden stands at the time (Aggborough, Moss Rose, and Broadhall Way respectively) which had been banned from the top four tiers as a result of the Valley Parade (home of Bradford City) back in 1985.

Cloud Strife

Established Member

Likewise, the new pyramid in Scotland has been a great breath of fresh air. You can see this with the attendance figures in League 2 too. The Scottish league system really suffered from being a closed shop, and even in the 1990s, the best Junior and Highland League teams were easily better than the then-Division 3 teams.

There have sporadic attempts to resurrect Third Lanark over the years, although I am unsure how it would be successful being as their former home ground Cathkin Park is not that far away from Queens Park (the very first football team in Scotland, which the very first England v Scotland match was actually against Queens Park).

Yes, I'm not sure that there's any real demand for yet another team in that area. It's been over 50 years since their demise, although it's worth pointing out that most League 2 teams in Scotland struggle to get more than 700-800 to a game. There's also Pollok nearby, who get over 700 on average to a game.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Peterborough United replaced third bottom Gateshead in 1960. The latter continued for a few years after that and unsuccessfully applied for re-election in 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966 and 1971 before folding in 1973. Many still believe that the 'Heed were only voted out because Southern-based club chairmen baulked at the lengthy annual trip up North to fulfil league fixtures.

Oxford United replaced Accrington Stanley, who had resigned in mid-season in 1962, Cambridge United replaced Bradford Park Avenue in 1970, Hereford United replaced Barrow in 1972 and Wigan Athletic replaced Southport in 1978.

Automatic relegation/promotion commenced 1987, Scarborough replacing Lincoln City.

So, arguably, none of these replacements was caused by the demise of a club, even the previous version of Accrington Stanley limped along in the Lancashire Combination until 1966, although being voted out of the Football League wasn't usually particularly ideal for a club's long term survival prospects.

THC

Oxford United replaced Accrington Stanley, who had resigned in mid-season in 1962
And in one of those weird and wonderful coincidences, when Oxford United were relegated to the Conference back in 2006 they were replaced in the Football League by none other than... Accrington Stanley.

THC

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
And in one of those weird and wonderful coincidences, when Oxford United were relegated to the Conference back in 2006 they were replaced in the Football League by none other than... Accrington Stanley.
What goes around, comes around, as the saying goes!

Between 1958 (creation of the old Fourth Division) and 1986 (last season before introduction of automatic relegation/promotion) it was effectively the bottom four teams that collectively faced re-election at the Football League's AGM.

And no club between 1958 and 1986 needed replacement for having "completely failed financially" although this fate did eventually befall a number of clubs a few years after having been voted out, such as Gateshead, Accrington Stanley, Bradford Park Avenue (and possibly also Barrow in the late 1990s).

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Regarding the basement division (Tier 4), I can remember that there was no promotion or relegation to and from the fifth tier (Nationwide Conference) in 1994, 95, and 96. This was due to the Conference winners Kidderminster Harriers, Macclesfield Town, and Stevenage Borough all having grounds that had wooden stands at the time (Aggborough, Moss Rose, and Broadhall Way respectively) which had been banned from the top four tiers as a result of the Valley Parade (home of Bradford City) back in 1985.

I think the issue was a lack of sufficient seated capacity at all, rather than existing seating being in wooden stands

Runningaround

Vinnie Jones was another textbook example. I'd say that a midfield hardman is absolutely essential in football, because they can dictate the game.
As long as they can play football too, the most awful Wales side coincided with Bobby Gould and Vinny Jones becoming Welsh.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think the issue was a lack of sufficient seated capacity at all, rather than existing seating being in wooden stands
The weird thing about that period of teams being denied promotion is that Macclesfield Town's ground had been used as a temporary home for Chester City while their Deva Stadium was under construction. Chester at the time were in the Football League.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Every team to have lost its place in the Football League since the war is still in existence in either its original or phoenix form. The one exception is New Brighton who resigned from the West Cheshire League a few years back as they no longer had enough volunteers to run the club.

The game between two such clubs, Scarborough Athletic and Bradford (Park Avenue) produced a goal which would have had commentators in raptures if scored by Pele, Beckham or Gazza.

Incidentally had automatic promotion and relegation existed between D4 and the top tier of non-league football in the 1960s, Bradford City would have gone out the league before Bradford (Park Avenue) and who knows what might have happened thereafter.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Every team to have lost its place in the Football League since the war is still in existence in either its original or phoenix form. The one exception is New Brighton who resigned from the West Cheshire League a few years back as they no longer had enough volunteers to run the club.
When New Brighton AFC got voted out of the Football League in 1951 (they were replaced by Workington) the "Rakers" unsuccessfully applied for re-election in both 1952 and 1953 and didn't receive a single vote!

The club with a similar name that resigned from the West Cheshire League in 2012 was, however, a phoenix club, founded in 1993 after a 10 year gap.

(The original New Brighton AFC having folded in 1983).

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Tottenham Hotspur won D3S in 1950/51 and invited all the D3 reps to a celebratory dinner after the FL AGM. The miserable so-and-so's turned away the New Brighton delegation at the door saying they weren't entitled to come as they were no longer members of the FL!

The photos below were taken at Harrison Drive in 2001

Attachments

• new brighton 01.JPG
    new brighton 01.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 7
  • new brighton 02.JPG
    new brighton 02.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Meole

Speaking of Barrow I see they have an apology for the referee disallowing an equaliser against Sutton when the referee ruled that an indirect free kick which went in off the Sutton keeper fumble could not stand as there was no ball contact with a Barrow player, suppose he'll end up in the Premier League soon ! The ref that awarded a defensive free kick for a penalty that went in but an offensive player intruded rather than having the penalty retaken was swiftly promoted from the championship.

Loppylugs

Wimbledon replaced Workington in Div. 4 in 1977. I believe Hartlepool hold the record for most applications for re-elections to the FL with a total of 14 times!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think they were. They were relegated automatically when they went down (and came straight back up)
Lincoln City were also relegated more recently, and since regained promotion. They're among a few teams that dropped out of the Football League after being beaten in a play-off by Huddersfield Town- the others being Bristol Rovers and Mansfield Town. Brentford on the other hand have gone on to the Premier League, having broken the curse set in 1995 by beating the Terriers in 2002 (both semi-finals).

It does appear that the curse is acting upon us now, however!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Lincoln City have lost their Football League status a record five times - in 1908, 1911, 1920, 1987 and 2011. Barnet, Doncaster and Grimsby have been out three times each.

The first team to drop out of the league was Stoke in 1890, and not Accrington as many people believe.

For a full list of membership dates and grounds played at, see the spreadsheet which can be downloaded by clicking on the link at the bottom of the homepage at