• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

roversfan2001

Established Member
Quoted from the football banning order thread:
Perhaps so in the UK, but in the Continent, a lot of hooligans are hand in hand with the clubs. Wisła Kraków is an excellent example: https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/the-polish-sopranos-the-story-of-how-violent-gangsters-sent

It's by no means an exception. Most Polish clubs are connected to their host cities financially in some way, and very few are genuinely financially independent. It would take an essay to explain it all, but it leads to a very unhealthy situation where the hooligans dominate stadiums and football as a whole. There are some honourable exceptions, but by and far, Polish football is at the mercy of hooligans and politicians.
The Wisła Kraków story is really fascinating reading from an English point of view, it makes even the most complicated ownership issues here look like a walk in the park!

I believe that the clubs very deep connection to the cities they call home stems from the immediate post-WW2 era and the communist rule meaning clubs couldn't be their own private enterprise as they are elsewhere.

I actually went to a game at Wisła earlier this year, and even with a 30% capacity limit, the place was bouncing and felt very intimidating. There was a heavy police and army presence and everyone's ticket was linked to their ID number, which you were required to bring with you. If the reports on Twitter were correct at the time, the fans reacted to their relegation last season by setting fire to the team coach! People like to praise football on the continent for the atmosphere being significantly better than here, but it does come with a very nasty undercurrent.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Quoted from the football banning order thread:

The Wisła Kraków story is really fascinating reading from an English point of view, it makes even the most complicated ownership issues here look like a walk in the park!

I believe that the clubs very deep connection to the cities they call home stems from the immediate post-WW2 era and the communist rule meaning clubs couldn't be their own private enterprise as they are elsewhere.

I actually went to a game at Wisła earlier this year, and even with a 30% capacity limit, the place was bouncing and felt very intimidating. There was a heavy police and army presence and everyone's ticket was linked to their ID number, which you were required to bring with you. If the reports on Twitter were correct at the time, the fans reacted to their relegation last season by setting fire to the team coach! People like to praise football on the continent for the atmosphere being significantly better than here, but it does come with a very nasty undercurrent.
The way that football clubs were run in the Eastern Bloc was very odd, with various clubs in larger cities becoming the fiefdom of various government departments. Fans of a certain musical group from the Wirral peninsula have a fondness for one of the smaller (these days) clubs based in the Czech capital of Prague, but as this club was under control of the Czechslovakian army during the Communist era, walking around Prague wearing a Dukla Praha away kit can get you some very funny looks!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I can recommend The Turning Season: DDR-Oberliga Revisited by Michael Wragg ( it is a book about the final East Germany premier league season)

I can also recommend a couple of episodes of the fantastic podcast "Cold War Conversations" on East German and Romanian football behind the iron curtain. ( it has a wide collection of cold war topics and voices. Give it a go)

Cloud Strife

Established Member

And imagine that the Wisła Kraków story is only one of many ridiculous stories regarding club ownership! You often find here that someone will rock up and buy a club for peanuts, because the previous owner has mismanaged things. The home city will bail the team out so they'll start from scratch, then the same thing will happen again and again. Usually the stadiums aren't owned by the teams, but by the home city, so you end up with a situation where the city needs to keep football in the stadium because otherwise they'll be left with a very expensive white elephant on their hands.

Yes, you're right about the structure of the clubs. Usually there were affiliated to a major employer or enterprise, although in some cases, they simply formalised the existing connection. Lech Poznań for instance were affiliated to PKP, Polish State Railways. But this connection existed before WW2 too, just as Legia Warsaw were formally a military club, but this connection was there from the beginning of Polish independence of 1918.

I'd actually say that this system was better than the current one where the teams are highly dependent (with a handful of exceptions) on politicians.

You're right about the nasty undercurrent as well. There was a case last season where the so-called 'fans' demanded the shirts off the backs of the Śląsk Wrocław players, and this has happened before as well. It's shocking for me that the players meekly submitted, but players getting attacked is nothing unusual here. The end result is that many teams struggle to keep foreign players, because no-one wants to play in such a rubbish and threatening environment. You've also got the case that most 'ultras' couldn't even name the players on the team, and they don't have any real interest in what happens on the pitch. There was even a recent case where so-called fans broke into the team bus of Legia Warsaw and attacked the players, which is just absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think much of the atmosphere at games here. It comes across as thuggish and childish, and you don't have any of the wit found in British stadiums.

The way that football clubs were run in the Eastern Bloc was very odd, with various clubs in larger cities becoming the fiefdom of various government departments. Fans of a certain musical group from the Wirral peninsula have a fondness for one of the smaller (these days) clubs based in the Czech capital of Prague, but as this club was under control of the Czechslovakian army during the Communist era, walking around Prague wearing a Dukla Praha away kit can get you some very funny looks!

Half Man Half Biscuit!

Dukla Praha, incidentally, are named after the Battle of Dukla Pass, which is now in Slovakia. Dukla itself is in Poland, adding to the ridiculousness!

SJL2020

Dukla Praha, incidentally, are named after the Battle of Dukla Pass, which is now in Slovakia. Dukla itself is in Poland, adding to the ridiculousness!
When I visited that area in Slovakia 20+ years ago there was still a surprising amount of old military equipment left lying around.

Someone had gone and set up a group of Russian tanks in a 'heroic' attacking position on a hillside as some sort of memorial, but there was plenty of German equipment just lying around in ditches. I remember a German halftrack lying on its side in a ditch and an antitank gun lying abandoned by the roadside, as well as a small AA gun sitting next to farm outbuildings.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Never knew the etymology, just assumed it was a Czech word and never bothered to look up what it meant. Every day is a school day! :)

I suppose the equivalent in English would be a team called something like "London Agincourt".

Cloud Strife

Established Member
When I visited that area in Slovakia 20+ years ago there was still a surprising amount of old military equipment left lying around.

Someone had gone and set up a group of Russian tanks in a 'heroic' attacking position on a hillside as some sort of memorial, but there was plenty of German equipment just lying around in ditches. I remember a German halftrack lying on its side in a ditch and an antitank gun lying abandoned by the roadside, as well as a small AA gun sitting next to farm outbuildings.

Ah yeah, the Valley of Death outside Svidnik. There's no real rhyme or reason to it, they've just left random military hardware lying around as a kind of memorial.

There's also military equipment just lying around in a park in the centre of Svidnik, which confused me to no end when I stumbled across it. It's actually an exhibit connected to the nearby museum, but it still feels horrendously out of place.

I suppose the equivalent in English would be a team called something like "London Agincourt".

You have to admit, that does sound like a good rugby team!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Oldham Athetic's first match in non-league football after an unbroken 116 year run as a full league side is an away match many miles to the south in Torquay.
Unsurprisingly ended in a 0-0 draw.
All I see next season is Fulham finishing 19th with Mitrovic registering 4 goal contributions.
Well, he started off this new season by scoring two of the four goals you mention above, against Liverpool in a 2-2 draw!!!!!

Last edited:

Jimini

Established Member
Well, he started off this new season by scoring two of the four goals you mention above, against Liverpool in a 2-2 draw!!!!!

Aye, quite happy with that start to the season! Just a shame we couldn't stop them from equalising the second time; it was vintage Fulham defending, that.

I was at Exeter City today. 4-0 against Port Vale is revenge for our 1-0 loss back in May which lost us the title.

Drogba11CFC

Winchester City 0...Poole Town 3 (Fogden 11, Rose 26, Holmes 72) Attendance: 366

Winchester City's life at Step 3 started in defeat against a strong Poole Town side, largely because Poole converted their chances where City couldn't.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Manchester United 1 ... Brighton and Hove Albion 2

The usual suspect in the centre of the Manchester United defence did nothing to enhance his damaged reputation in this home match and someone was heard to comment that one of the "Molly Maguires" could fare no worse if that was possible...:rolleyes:

Manchester United 1 ... Brighton and Hove Albion 2

The usual suspect in the centre of the Manchester United defence did nothing to enhance his damaged reputation in this home match and someone was heard to comment that one of the "Molly Maguires" could fare no worse if that was possible...:rolleyes:
They were.... Terrible.... Nothing new

GS250

Winchester City 0...Poole Town 3 (Fogden 11, Rose 26, Holmes 72) Attendance: 366

Winchester City's life at Step 3 started in defeat against a strong Poole Town side, largely because Poole converted their chances where City couldn't.

Poole Town. Didn't they used to play at the Speedway track in the Town centre?

gg1

Established Member
I went on a coach trip to Prague in 1996 when I was at Uni, one day a few of us made our way to Dukla's stadium and were somewhat disappointed by the complete absence of replica away shirts.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I went on a coach trip to Prague in 1996 when I was at Uni, one day a few of us made our way to Dukla's stadium and were somewhat disappointed by the complete absence of replica away shirts.
Can't comment on what it was like in 1996, but in 2017 the official club shop was on the main road just above the tram-turning circle at Podbaba (the closest stop to the stadium) which is also served by suburban heavy rail.

Cletus

Established Member
Poole Town. Didn't they used to play at the Speedway track in the Town centre?

Not the worst speedway (and greyhound) track to have a football club. I would give that prize to Kingsmead "Stadium", home of Canterbury City. Now demolished.

So... Going into the second half of the Carabao Cup and my local team Exeter is 5-0 up at Cheltenham. How's that happened?

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Not the worst speedway (and greyhound) track to have a football club. I would give that prize to Kingsmead "Stadium", home of Canterbury City. Now demolished.

The worst example I can remember of a football ground being ruined by a speedway track is Holker Street (Barrow) in the 1970's. Somerton Park (Newport), Eastville (Bristol Rovers), White City (QPR), the Shay (Hailifax) and of course Wembley also hosted speedway as did several RL clubs such as Workington, Hull FC, Bradford Northern and Rochdale Hornets. Seedhill, the former home of D3N Nelson FC also hosted speedway until the early 1970s when it was knocked down to build the M65. The Admirals were then franchised off to Odsal mid-season.

Speedway is currently in a bad way with only six tracks left in the top division.

High Dyke

Established Member
Did you not ask for one at Christmas?

Meanwhile, Grantham Town began the new season with a 3-1 home win against Shildon AFC. 8-)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Change of scene for me today:

Kings Lynn Town 2 v Blyth Spartans 0. TBH Blyth could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored. Blyth didn't test Lynn so i cant tell you how good they are. I do know the Kings Lynn manager, Tommy Widdrington, is an angry man!

Cletus

Established Member
Dover Athletic 1-0 Hungerford. 1st time I've seen them win since 22nd February 2020 :smile:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I hear Manchester United lost today!
An even bigger shock (to me at least) was Huddersfield Town not losing! We finally look like a team again after a rough summer and a frankly disgraceful start to the season. Still plenty of work to do, but that first win is so important. I'm still expecting a regression to the mean this season though.