• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Pete_uk

Established Member
The FA Cup will mostly move to TNT Sports when the current contract ends.

A few matched plus the final will be FTA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Dundee Harp 35 Aberdeen Rovers 0 also played Saturday 12th September 1885. Apparently the referee at East Dock Street (Dundee) had made a note of 37 goals having been scored, but the Dundee Harp club secretary was fairly sure it was only 35, and so that was the score that was wired to the Scottish FA.

Then came the news that Arbroath had won their game by 36-0.

dangie

Established Member
The fact that after 24 of the 38 league matches this season that Manchester United have a goal difference of exactly zero shows that not all is well at Old Trafford.
A darn sight better than at Stoke where we have a goal difference of -15. Oh how we’d love a goal difference of zero :frown:

Stoke City 0-1 Coventry City

After an unexpected win in the last game, normal service resumed. Five defeats in six games.

Stoke have had 10 managers in the last six years. Soon be time for No.11

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Northern Premier League...Premier Division

Hyde United 1 ... Stafford Rangers 1

An attendance of 742 despite the poor weather saw next-to-bottom Stafford Rangers display much better form than the league position would suggest. Half-time came with the score 0-0 and in the 52nd minute, Stafford scored and it was not until the 72nd minute that Hyde equalized. Other results (such as the one below) however saw Hyde move up to second place in the league.

FC United of Manchester v Warrington Rylands

The match went ahead with an attendance of 1,634 in heavy North Manchester rain at Broadhurst Park and half-time was reached with the score 0-0, but after 61minutes, the pitch surface water was so bad that the referee took the decision to abandon the match.

SteveM70

Established Member
FC Halifax Town 2-1 Woking

Three wins in a row, thanks to a combination of some dodgy goalkeeping, a goal scored - deliberately - directly from a corner, and some last ditch defending

Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers - a Joao Gomes double gave Gary O’Neil’s side another magnificent away win, which is our 3rd consecutive League win on the road - all in London since December 27th and our first League Double over the North Londoners since 2009/2010.

Howardh

Established Member
Where to start?

Isle of Man v Bury today. 6pm KO.

8.30 am all is well, players on flight from Manchester to IOM.

Can't land, fog, return to Manchester.

Morning waiting, flight cancelled, Loganair promise taxis to Heysham for 2.15 ferry, that don't materialise (why couldn't Bury book themselves and get airline to pay?)

3.30 possibly of putting most of squad on flight for 8.30pm KO. But at that time players, rightly after spending hours in airport, sent home.

Now will attempt to fly tomorrow before dawn to play midday so trip isn't wasted for nearly 1000 fans already there.

Meanwhile Isle of Man sinking at an alarming rate due to all the alcohol drunk..

Snow1964

Established Member
For those who haven't noticed (and presumably readers of this thread have interest in both football and rail), the Football Supporters Association has opened survey on rail travel

The FSA has partnered with key rail industry stakeholders the Rail Delivery Group (RDG) to help them understand the issues that matchgoers face when travelling by rail throughout the season.
While the survey has an away fan focus we are also encouraging “home” matchgoers who travel longer distances by rail to complete the survey, as they face many of the same issues as away supporters.

This survey is part of their work to better understand the motivations of fans travelling by rail, the issues they face, and the improvements they would like to see made to ticketing and the rail network more generally on matchdays.
The responses are anonymous and the survey only takes around five minutes to complete, and the data will be be useful to the train operating companies who are looking at various ways of improving rail travel for football fans.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Now will attempt to fly tomorrow before dawn to play midday so trip isn't wasted for nearly 1000 fans already there.
Understand that Isle of Man v Bury is now an 11:00 a.m. K.O. today (Sunday) and that the Bury contingent have set off again, albeit this time from Liverpool Airport.

Let's see whether the fixture does actually take place; at present, it's quite literally all up in the air. ;)

Howardh

Established Member
Understand that Isle of Man v Bury is now an 11:00 a.m. K.O. today (Sunday) and that the Bury contingent have set off again, albeit this time from Liverpool Airport.

Let's see whether the fixture does actually take place; at present, it's quite literally all up in the air. ;)
Landed and good to go! Free stream of the game too for those of us sat at home!

Lewisham2221

Established Member
A darn sight better than at Stoke where we have a goal difference of -15. Oh how we’d love a goal difference of zero :frown:

Stoke City 0-1 Coventry City

After an unexpected win in the last game, normal service resumed. Five defeats in six games.

Stoke have had 10 managers in the last six years. Soon be time for No.11
At this point the situation at Stoke is so bizarre I don't know whether to blame the manager, the players, or something else.

I know injuries and things happen, but six changes to the starting lineup, following a win 3 days before???

The players don't have the confidence to shoot unless they're in the 6yd, even if they're in a perfect shooting position they just look for a pass. They make good runs forward, but then stop dead when they reach the final third. Others stand on the halfway line waiting for a sideways pass, despite having acres of clear space to run into down the wing. Yesterday also saw a load of that tippy tappy, playing out from the back nonsense, that gets teams up and down the country into trouble week in, week out.

Now this is a thread I like the sound of and am surprised took me so long to find!

I am a happy chappy though with Forest beating West Ham 2-0. I were at the game and, as always at the City Ground, brilliant atmosphere.

I do think that penalty on Williams near the end should have been given, especially after rewatching it, but VAR hasn’t exactly been our friend very much at all since promotion tbh.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
I do think that penalty on Williams near the end should have been given, especially after rewatching it, but VAR hasn’t exactly been our friend very much at all since promotion tbh.
Having just watched it on MOTD, I have absolutely no idea how that wasn't given, either by the ref or the VAR. I was equally surprised that it didn't appear to be mentioned at all in the studio. At least it didn't impact on the result.

SteveM70

Established Member
Having just watched it on MOTD, I have absolutely no idea how that wasn't given, either by the ref or the VAR. I was equally surprised that it didn't appear to be mentioned at all in the studio.

On Soccer Saturday on Sky, Mike Dean said he wouldn't have given it if he'd been ref because it was just a coming together with no intent

Part of me despairs that a recent top level ref could have such a basic misunderstanding of the laws, but then another part of me thinks "ah, its just Mike Dean being Mike Dean and trying to make it all about him"

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Match has just finished, Bury won 2-0 to go top of the North West Counties League - Premier Division on goal difference.

Having just watched it on MOTD, I have absolutely no idea how that wasn't given, either by the ref or the VAR. I was equally surprised that it didn't appear to be mentioned at all in the studio. At least it didn't impact on the result.
Shocking really but like you say there we got the result in the end. I must say though just before we scored, and after the ‘penalty’ I think, I thought they were going score and that really would have caused a stir.

On Soccer Saturday on Sky, Mike Dean said he wouldn't have given it if he'd been ref because it was just a coming together with no intent

Part of me despairs that a recent top level ref could have such a basic misunderstanding of the laws, but then another part of me thinks "ah, its just Mike Dean being Mike Dean and trying to make it all about him"
Mike Dean’s a you know exactly what though. Can’t stand him. Whether there were intent or not he has still fouled Williams in the box and by the looks of it given him a small push on the shoulder too, without touching the ball at any point.

Like I say though Mike Dean is a something I can’t say on this forum.

SteveM70

Established Member
Mike Dean’s a you know exactly what though. Can’t stand him. Whether there were intent or not he has still fouled Williams in the box and by the looks of it given him a small push on the shoulder too, without touching the ball at any point.

Like I say though Mike Dean is a something I can’t say on this forum

Yes, he is, a point I made, but he was also recently a top flight referee, and to say that something isn't a foul because it was unintentional is frankly terrifying

JD2168

In today’s matches Sheffield United lost 5-0 at home to Brighton after Mason Holgate was sent off for Sheffield United after a horrific tackle on Kairo Mitoma. Manchester United have won 2-1 away at Luton Town, after a strong United start with Hojlund scoring after just 36 seconds & also putting United 2-0 up after 7 minutes Luton came back into the game & made for an interesting match.

Harry Kane & Bayern Munich’s bad week got worse after they lost 3-2 at VfL Bochum with Dayot Upamecano sent off in a second game in a week. Bayern now trail Bayer Leverkusen by 8 points after Leverkusen won at Heidenheim.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
North of the Border, that lot from Ibrox have gone top of the Scottish Premiership today after a 3-0 away win at St. Johnstone. Not sure what @THC will make of that. :(

THC

North of the Border, that lot from Ibrox have gone top of the Scottish Premiership today after a 3-0 away win at St. Johnstone. Not sure what @THC will make of that. :(
We seem to have late-Leicester Rodgers in charge rather than the Celtic mk. 1 model we all hoped would return. The football is painful. Rangers are good value for their lead, much as it pains me to say it.

THC