• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

greatvoyager

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Brilliant race from Hamilton today, the Mercedes was the better car at this track but Hamilton was still magnificent, still the best driver on the grid.

Verstappen needs to sort out his problems with track limits, but I think the championship battle could certainly last.

Bottas was unlucky but also poor at the same time, needs to up his game but I don't think he has anything else to give.

Perez had an alright race, his stint on mediums was brilliant, but he needs to improve his pace, still a step in the right direction for red bull.

Norris is flying this season.

And Mazepin, has surely got to be up there for worst F1 driver in history, he is laughably bad.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Brilliant race from Hamilton today, the Mercedes was the better car at this track but Hamilton was still magnificent, still the best driver on the grid.

Verstappen needs to sort out his problems with track limits, but I think the championship battle could certainly last.

Bottas was unlucky but also poor at the same time, needs to up his game but I don't think he has anything else to give.

Perez had an alright race, his stint on mediums was brilliant, but he needs to improve his pace, still a step in the right direction for red bull.

Norris is flying this season.

And Mazepin, has surely got to be up there for worst F1 driver in history, he is laughably bad.

Track limits is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring. Let them race. If they keep all 4 wheels pointing the same way it is fine by me. It will be closer this season but the Mercedes grinding winning machine will deliver. Bottas is a number 2 and Russell would be better imo. Marzipan is bad but he is sitting on a massive pile of money so will be in the seat for 2 years. I am always very impressed how Perez can eke out his tire life. Why cant most of the others?

Norris is doing very well. Putting his more experienced team mate in his place. Will have to see how long it continues. Was also pleased to Vettel improve his qualifying show.

najaB

Veteran Member
Spike strips to enforce track limits would be fun :lol:
That's kinda the point - back in the day the track limits were enforced by a hay bales, a wall or a ditch.

Those have been removed in the name of safety, so time penalties have replaced flaming death as the consequence of going off the tarmac.

GB

Established Member
A 1m wide patch of dirt just beyond the curbs with the run off areas beyond that would do the trick.

najaB

Veteran Member
A 1m wide patch of dirt just beyond the curbs with the run off areas beyond that would do the trick.
You saw what happened in Imola when Russel got a wheel onto the dirt/grass in the wet...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That's kinda the point - back in the day the track limits were enforced by a hay bales, a wall or a ditch.

Those have been removed in the name of safety, so time penalties have replaced flaming death as the consequence of going off the tarmac.

Then make the "run off" area outside the corner harsher so that use has a penalty other than death. Make it more abrasive or put in rumble strips , anything to create a slight penalty for running wide. At present it just seems like part of the track so may as we be used. It is just dull deleting lap times for inching over a white line. It is F1 VAR killing the joy and excitement.

However, until they put me in charge of F1 and I can sort the sport out, the drivers need to pay attention and stop whining. You are supposed to be the best drivers in the world. Keep it inside the lines.

najaB

Veteran Member
Then make the "run off" area outside the corner harsher so that use has a penalty other than death. Make it more abrasive or put in rumble strips , anything to create a slight penalty for running wide. At present it just seems like part of the track so may as we be used.
They do use different methods on different tracks, which do include different surfaces, curbs, etc. But at the end of the day the best drivers in the world should be capable of keeping all four wheels inside the clearly marked white lines.

greatvoyager

Established Member
It would be nice if all rules were enforced consistently. Perhaps they should cover the corner in a substance that will mark the tyres as it runs over, then it would surely be easier to know who did and didn’t gain.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
They do use different methods on different tracks, which do include different surfaces, curbs, etc. But at the end of the day the best drivers in the world should be capable of keeping all four wheels inside the clearly marked white lines.

I agree - I just added that! I don't like how the rule is applied but a rule it is therefore stop whining and get on with it.

JohnMcL7

Martin Brundle has some good comments about track limits especially pointing out that these track designs need to work for a variety of vehicles:

greatvoyager

Established Member
Martin Brundle has some good comments about track limits especially pointing out that these track designs need to work for a variety of vehicles:

He does make some good points.

PG

Established Member
So given the weekend's events in Spain, with Toto publicly confirming Valtteri in the seat at Mercedes for the rest of the season but Valterri ignoring the radio message not to impede Lewis because he was 'running his own race', can we conclude that a new occupant will be in the seat next year if Lewis carries on for another year?

najaB

Veteran Member
Can we conclude that a new occupant will be in the seat next year if Lewis carries on for another year?
I think that was pretty much a given anyway - I doubt that Russell is going to be happy in a Williams forever and a year as the second driver alongside Hamilton will (hopefully) set him up well for his future career.

PG

Established Member
I think that was pretty much a given anyway - I doubt that Russell is going to be happy in a Williams forever and a year as the second driver alongside Hamilton will (hopefully) set him up well for his future career.
Yep seems a likely outcome. Will Valtteri leave F1 or would another team want him? - maybe Red Bull given that he's no slouch and Sergio hasn't exactly been much of a match for Max...

najaB

Veteran Member
Yep seems a likely outcome. Will Valtteri leave F1 or would another team want him? - maybe Red Bull given that he's no slouch and Sergio hasn't exactly been much of a match for Max...
I think pretty much any team would take him.

As you say he's no slouch and the Max and Valtteri combo actually could be quite explosive.

najaB

Veteran Member
Can't see Ferarri being interested or McLaren for that matter as they've both got good driver pairings right now.
Assuming that everyone stays where they are, yes. But if there's an opening in either team he would be on the shortlist to fill it.

najaB

Veteran Member
With the exception of Dani Ric I think their drivers are pretty nailed-on for the foreseeable.
All things being equal, yes I expect that both McLaren and Ferrari have their drivers for 2022 but F1 is anything but predictable. Sainz is only a on a two-year contract so he might be tempted to break it if a longer drive came up somewhere else.

JohnMcL7

I believe so, yes.
I thought they only had to supply engines if another team were unable to and they were supplying the fewest teams? Hence Renault would have had to supply engines to Red Bull if they hadn't sorted out their own engine and given Renault only supply their own team whereas Red Bull will be supplying two, that would surely leave Renault having to supply engines?