• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
What on earth are these snide anti-Hamilton remarks.
I'm sorry if I offended you...

However, it could be seen as offensive that since I've posted that I support RB and have done since they entered the sport, you assumed any comment I made about Lewis is anti-Hamilton or negative.

D365

Veteran Member
I'm sorry if I offended you...

However, it could be seen as offensive that since I've posted that I support RB and have done since they entered the sport, you assumed any comment I made about Lewis is anti-Hamilton or negative.
"a very difficult problem child". Tell me how that's not a negative comment.

I'm not offended, just saddened that some feel these slights to be necessary.

Howardh

Established Member
Been too busy to follow the F1 this weekend but watching later today. Found out that Max is something like 15th due to engine failure, so can he thread his way through and will Perez allow an easy pass if it gets to that?? But...I think...Max will have to deal with LeClerc first (grid penalty?) and his engine troubles too on the way.

Often wondered if the racing would be more exciting if, at certain circuits, the grid was done on a random draw? Feels a bit like that today.

Established Member
"a very difficult problem child". Tell me how that's not a negative comment.

I'm not offended, just saddened that some feel these slights to be necessary.
Have you ever looked at all the stuff that's happened in his life? I'd call it reality...

A shame for Fernando. It must be so frustrating to have another penalty announced so long after the end of the race, for something that appended so long ago too, and for something he had no control over (engineer on the rear jack touching the car while serving a penalty).

An interesting race though. I enjoyed watching that (from P3 onwards)

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Have you ever looked at all the stuff that's happened in his life? I'd call it reality...

A shame for Fernando. It must be so frustrating to have another penalty announced so long after the end of the race, for something that appended so long ago too, and for something he had no control over (engineer on the rear jack touching the car while serving a penalty).

An interesting race though. I enjoyed watching that (from P3 onwards)
A very good battle at the back!

Think penalties should be taken on neutral ground in the pit, might be better for the teams and drivers as with a crowd around the car, mistakes can happen and mistakes can appear to have happened even if they didn't.

Established Member
A very good battle at the back!

Think penalties should be taken on neutral ground in the pit, might be better for the teams and drivers as with a crowd around the car, mistakes can happen and mistakes can appear to have happened even if they didn't.
I agree

Perhaps next to the weighing scales there can be a box, a 5 second will become a stop-start, a 10 second can become a 5 second stop in the box etc. With pit lights it can also be timed so there are less disputes and less complications.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Does anyone find Sky's coverage irritating? They speak to the team principals, then do a load of analysis then interviews with the drivers. C4 go straight to driver interviews after the podium.

Established Member
Does anyone find Sky's coverage irritating? They speak to the team principals, then do a load of analysis then interviews with the drivers. C4 go straight to driver interviews after the podium.
Both myself and my wife do.

There are many things about their coverage that irritate me.

I watch their coverage via the "international stream", same voices but doesn't have the on-screen sky graphics

I think it's inappropriate for an international stream to be so biased towards one team and mainly one driver.

Their other coverage made me try F1TV, and to be honest it's a bit more amateur sometimes but the coverage is still pretty good.

I watch via F1MV/F1TV Pro but I think they have their pre and post race shows live on YouTube

Howardh

Established Member
I agree

Perhaps next to the weighing scales there can be a box, a 5 second will become a stop-start, a 10 second can become a 5 second stop in the box etc. With pit lights it can also be timed so there are less disputes and less complications.
Didn't they used to have a drive-through the pits, which they couldn't stop, and would cost them 10-15 seconds? Does that still happen?

Established Member
Didn't they used to have a drive-through the pits, which they couldn't stop, and would cost them 10-15 seconds? Does that still happen?
I'd forgotten about that! Not seen it in so long that I guess it's not a done thing anymore

66701GBRF

Drive through penalties are still an option, as are stop/go penalties, but obviously they are much harsher than a 5 second time penalty that is used for more minor infractions. A penalty box is an interesting idea but not sure how you'd cope with multiple drivers. Personally I have no issue with the penalty being observed at the pit stop but perhaps is should be overseen by an official from the FIA.

Established Member
not sure how you'd cope with multiple drivers
I thought of that too but decided it adds an interesting strategy element :) The driver needs to make the choice as he enters the pits and sees another driver taking a penalty, do they wait behind, or do they continue without stopping and commit themselves to a further stop later in the race...

Established Member
The difference in reaction between Max's father and Checo's father when the other driver wins a race is an absolute embarrassment. I watched it live and cringed too.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1679294700194.jpg
    FB_IMG_1679294700194.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 45

DarloRich

Veteran Member
My only surprise from the weekend was Verstappen didn't win. I expected him to. I wonder if he had an issue as he was faster than Perez at all times other than when behind him. I also expected RB to tell Perez to get out of the way so nice he wasn't put in that position. I see that, childishly, Verstappen had to nab fastest lap just to stay on top of the standings. There was no need really and just shows the immature pettiness of his nature imo. i know fans will say he is competitive and focused on winning but sometimes it isn't worth it. Just chill out and cruise to the title. Don't stress the little things.

BTW that Red Bull needs half a ton of pig iron welding on the back axle because they are going to win both titles by Easter at this rate!
Whereas Verstappen is a fully rounded, mature and thoughtful guy who never whines on like a spoiled man child when things go against him! That will be his undoing when things go bad. He needs to learn to chill out and not be petty ( the issue with Perez and Monaco a case in point)
I don't have sky. I listen to radio 5 who I find very good. C4 is ok action wise but the welsh guy presenting really grinds my gears so I mute him and/or fast forward the talkie bits and get on with the race.

I have zero interest in driver or team manager interviews. They tell you nothing.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
C4 don’t have to wait for the podium ceremony to start: the joy of being a highlights package.

I think it's inappropriate for an international stream to be so biased towards one team and mainly one driver.

They’re not biased at all. What they don’t do is blow a load of smoke up Verstappen’s bumhole, which Mad Max fans perceive as bias and an unfair slight.
Whereas Verstappen is a fully rounded, mature and thoughtful guy who never whines on like a spoiled man child when things go against him!

Course he is, just like his father (who gave someone a fractured skull after an argument about a go kart) and his mother (who made some pretty wild allegations about Perez on Twitter after Brazil).

I get that people don’t like Hamilton, especially those who like a fizzy drink made from cow bile, but seriously.

I support Williams, like I always have, so no skin in this game. I blame Netflix for a lot of this ridiculousness.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I support Williams, like I always have, so no skin in this game.
i dont really support any team tbh. Just enjoy watching the racing. Verstappen is a fantastic driver, perhaps the best in the present circus. I just think he needs to chill out a bit because when it goes bad performance wise ( and it will ) you need everyone pulling for you. Look at Alonso in the past. Fantastic driver. Not, perhaps, the best team man.

Last edited:

yoyothehobo

In a sport where normally the guy with the fastest car wins, it was unsuprising to see red bull win again. That car is an absolute monster and whatever they are paying Adrian Newey still isnt enough, he is the master of car design and ground effect.

The Red Bull is over a second quicker in race pace than any other car on the grid, thats a bigger difference than in the previous Mercedes domination era and Seb Vettel Red Bull era. It is ominous for the season and yesterdays race was very poor.

Still major questions being asked of the FIA and there race management, the safety car for a car the GPS said was on the track but all visual evidence said was not on track, concerning and the whole kerfuffle around the Alonso penalty at the end is just rank amateur.

I am no fan of Max Verstappen, but his desire to win at all costs is why he is up there and he doesnt like coming second, he is clear he isnt here to make friends, so i dont care about his attitude there. Some of his driving has left a lot to be desired, in the way it has been to be over aggressive and force the opponent to make contact or back out. You do it once you are inside their head, Senna was the same.

I watch the racing to try and see a race and i feel that we are going to get very little of that this year.

Established Member
Whereas Verstappen is a fully rounded, mature and thoughtful guy who never whines on like a spoiled man child when things go against him! That will be his undoing when things go bad. He needs to learn to chill out and not be petty ( the issue with Perez and Monaco a case in point)
Interesting that you turned it into a Lewis/Max debate. For the record I think max is an asshole at times and his father is the reason Max turned out the way he did.

Lewis had a supportive father who wasn't abusive, but had many other uphill struggles in his life.
They’re not biased at all. What they don’t do is blow a load of smoke up Verstappen’s bumhole, which Mad Max fans perceive as bias and an unfair slight.
Nobody is asking for smoke up anyone's bumhole, whatever you do in the privacy of your own home is your own concern. I simply stated my opinion based on years of watching Sky coverage. You're welcome to disagree with me, as you have done, but please do it respectfully next time.
My only surprise from the weekend was Verstappen didn't win
The second surprise was Red Bull not telling Checo to let him past. And I'm glad they didn't.
The fastest lap communication needs looking at though, from a team POV.
I get that people don’t like Hamilton, especially those who like a fizzy drink made from cow bile, but seriously
Thanks again. You've assumed I don't like Hamilton because I'm a red bull fan, or because I said some of his outfits look almost as silly as the person saying "fizzy drink made from cow bile"?

Geezertronic

Established Member
All is not well in the Red Bull camp between the drivers if Max's reactions after the race are anything to go by. He didn't park on the grid to take up the 2nd place spot, he didn't initially congratulate Perez and only appeared to speak to him when Alonso was doing his interview with Coulthard, he purposely (in my opinion) sat in Perez's seat in the cool-down room before the podium ceremony (it was obvious because the screen behind showed 11 not 1), and he sprayed his champagne over Alonso not Perez during the podium celebration. Let's not forget that Max is also the reason Red Bull did not get a 1-2 in the drivers championship last year too as he could have helped but didn't at Brazil because of the suspected Monaco qualifying issue...

Broucek

and the whole kerfuffle around the Alonso penalty at the end is just rank amateur.
One of the motor racing sites published the rule earlier. It was not remotely clear... Given how competitive this sport is and how clever the protagonists are, you'd think the FIA would recognise the need to stress test the wording with a) a decent lawyer and b) someone with recent on-the-ground team experience...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
My only surprise from the weekend was Verstappen didn't win. I expected him to. I wonder if he had an issue as he was faster than Perez at all times other than when behind him.
The subtitles on channel 4 from the driver radio communications did have him complaining about a possible recurrence of his driveshaft issue around the middle of the race, so he quite likely did have some kind of problem for at least a while.

SteveM70

Established Member
I see that, childishly, Verstappen had to nab fastest lap just to stay on top of the standings.

Not sure that’s really “childish”. Surely it’s being professional and maximising his points? Yes, Red Bull may well win everything at a canter but after two races nobody can know that for sure.

Established Member
. I see that, childishly, Verstappen had to nab fastest lap just to stay on top of the standings.
A sportsperson trying to get the maximum amount of points that they can?! That's shocking! Call the papers!!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Not sure that’s really “childish”. Surely it’s being professional and maximising his points? Yes, Red Bull may well win everything at a canter but after two races nobody can know that for sure.

A sportsperson trying to get the maximum amount of points that they can?! That's shocking! Call the papers!!
He doesn't need to risk getting no points to get one extra point, which I suspect was simply to prevent Perez leading the standings for one race. Bigger picture and all that ( why stress a car that seems to have damage for little reward?)

We all know he will win the championship by miles!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
He doesn't need to risk getting no points to get one extra point, which I suspect was simply to prevent Perez leading the standings for one race.
Verstappen’s always been that dim though. It’s why he crashed into Ocon in Brazil because he couldn’t tolerate being unlapped, and it’s why he put himself in the wall at Silverstone. If he’d slotted in behind Hamilton at Silverstone in 21 like a grown up sensible boy he’d not have needed Michael Masi to give him a hand.

I have to say that if Verstappen is going to dominate then I’ll probably end up switching off F1, just like I did in the Schumacher years. There’s just something about the man that I cannot stand. Hamilton can be a bit of a whopper but Verstappen is just nasty; the casual racism on the radio being a great example. He’s a fantastic driver but, like with Schumacher, I’m not going to waste my Sundays watching someone with his attitude win.