• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight train derailed at Lewisham 24/01

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackTheLad

Well they were announcing at Orpington this evening that Cannon Street trains were calling "additionally" at London Bridge. I asked the platform assistant if that was definite as no Cannon St services are expected to call at London Bridge until 2018, and they said trains to Cannon St can now call at London Bridge (I'm assuming the new platform 6) in times of disruptions... so instead of waiting for the delayed Charing Cross service, I hopped on the fast Cannon St service which was listed to call additionally at London Bridge so I could change there... Low and behold the train went straight through non stop. All the passengers in the carriage were not happy!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carriageline

Established Member
Cannon St trains will definetly not be stopping at London Bridge platform 6!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

talldave

Established Member
Do you have a copy of the webpage stating that acceptance is in place? If you do then I'd demand a refund of the supplement, taking them to the small claims court if they refuse.

Sadly not, and internet archive sites don't seem to grab the edits to the page content. However, if they pay the promised double delay repay I'll end up ok, but I suspect that's a lie they'll fail to honour.

After twitter abuse this morning, they've edited the disruption page at 6am to remove the announced HS acceptance for the rest of the week, but savvy twitter users have screen-shotted the previous version. These muppets really believe it's OK to un-announce something and pretend it never happened by tweaking a web page.

Edit: For reference, the double delay repay was mentioned here.

Last edited:

ScotGG

Established Member
SE have been putting out so many "mis-truths" a lobby campaign to get media coverage would be worth it?

Though many media, even in London, can't tell the difference between Southern and Southeastern!

Deepgreen

Established Member
SE have been putting out so many "mis-truths" a lobby campaign to get media coverage would be worth it?

Though many media, even in London, can't tell the difference between Southern and Southeastern!

Neither can some staff - my Victoria to Tonbridge (via Redhill) train yesterday was announced as being a SE service (quickly corrected by the SE conductor, however).

DJL

They're know as "alternative facts" now :p

Juniper Driver

Established Member

Or that the DOO dispute is not just about "doing the doors".

QueensCurve

Established Member
Yep a fire apparently on a Networker but doesn't look too bad here: http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/1...ooke_station/?action=success#comment_17776551

Just to the left of the pic you can see the start of a tower being built by the station along with thousands of homes. That station is already seeing huge growth and no extra trains - another networker out of action wont help!

Looks like the fire has originated with an overload in the vicinity of the shoegear.

But of course 3rd rail is cheaper and safer than 25kV.;)

Daz28

I really don't understand why New Eltham, Mottingham and Lee have no service at all during this disruption. The lines are open and ECS moves are going through.

Why can't the Cannon Street circulars continue to run via Sidcup to Grove Park? Or Dartford to Orpington? There should be plenty of spare paths due to anything via Lewisham having been cancelled.

Also as Hither Green has got a drastically reduced service, why can't they stop a few of the Hastings fast services there?

Bromley boy

Established Member
I really don't understand why New Eltham, Mottingham and Lee have no service at all during this disruption. The lines are open and ECS moves are going through.

Why can't the Cannon Street circulars continue to run via Sidcup to Grove Park? Or Dartford to Orpington? There should be plenty of spare paths due to anything via Lewisham having been cancelled.

Also as Hither Green has got a drastically reduced service, why can't they stop a few of the Hastings fast services there?

I'm certainly not privy to the why's and wherefores but I suspect a combination of:

- sidcup is the only station on the sidcup line apart from Crayford signalled and equipped with crossovers to run shuttles to and from dartford. Probably an attempt at a least worst option to offer a choice of a shuttle to dartford and a change or else bus services to lewisham/elsewhere on the network.

- a service "up" to Lee and then round the spur going "down" into grove park would cause massive overcrowding at Grove Park which is always busy and still has to cope with its own passengers and a reduced service. It would also impact traffic coming up the mainline which is being squeezed to two lines London end of Hither Green;

- There are also a great deal of mainline and metro ECS movements into and out of Grove Park which would be decimated by using the loop. These cause a great deal of congestion at the best of times and form a significant proportion of the peak time services in/out of London.

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
I'm certainly not privy to the why's and wherefores but I suspect a combination of:

- sidcup is the only station on the sidcup line apart from Crayford signalled and equipped with crossovers to run shuttles to and from dartford. Probably an attempt at a least worst option to offer a choice of a shuttle to dartford and a change or else bus services to lewisham/elsewhere on the network.

- a service "up" to Lee and then round the spur going "down" into grove park would cause massive overcrowding at Grove Park which is always busy and still has to cope with its own passengers and a reduced service. It would also impact traffic coming up the mainline which is being squeezed to two lines London end of Hither Green;

- There are also a great deal of mainline and metro ECS movements into and out of Grove Park which would be decimated by using the loop. These cause a great deal of congestion at the best of times and form a significant proportion of the peak time services in/out of London.

Lots of the signalling equipment is out of action.

SE are struggling to get stock out of Grove Park as it is.

Engineering trains running both ways on the up slow to from Hither Green Sidings and Yard.

QueensCurve

Established Member
A couple of questions on the press release:

1. Picture showing the PW used as a jacking point for the crane, quite surprised by that, surely that would not be usual?

Presumably crane operations require that the operators demonstrate a firm base which can withstand the loads imposed by the train so that there is no risk of the crane toppling.

SF-02

Any news on the fire cause - I havnt missed another thread have I? And how long is the train it out of action?

tsr

Established Member
Looks like the fire has originated with an overload in the vicinity of the shoegear.

But of course 3rd rail is cheaper and safer than 25kV.;)

Plenty of OHLE equipment faults on trains over the last few days, too. Southern 377s in particular have been experiencing quite a few pantograph problems since they've tried resuming regular WLL operations. Also a number of 700s reported to have been causing firework displays of one sort or another on the MML.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Plenty of OHLE equipment faults on trains over the last few days, too. Southern 377s in particular have been experiencing quite a few pantograph problems since they've tried resuming regular WLL operations. Also a number of 700s reported to have been causing firework displays of one sort or another on the MML.

I was mildly surprised to find a 377/7 on my Dorking train today, assuming they would now be on the MKC runs.

gazr

Ventured down to Sidcup via Dartford today at about 1pm. The bottleneck at Dartford caused by the shuttle to Sidcup was noticeable. I have read some people say why not run the shuttle to Grove Park, but looking at Quail, could they not have run to Hither Green P5 and reversed using the # at Lee Spur Junction? Yes, would require pilotman, but surely cheaper/more suitable than fleet of buses?

The work at Lewisham looked like it was progressing quickly, although ballast train blocking view from the fast lines. The diamond crossover was in place but not hooked up to any line from the looks of it. The weekend should take care of that.

DelW

Established Member
Presumably crane operations require that the operators demonstrate a firm base which can withstand the loads imposed by the train so that there is no risk of the crane toppling.

LOLER (Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations) normally require any crane lift to be based on a Lift Plan signed off by an Appointed Person who has responsibility under the Regs for safety. It should include calculation of maximum lift weights and radii, to ensure the crane won't be overloaded, calculation of maximum outrigger load, and an assessment of the ground's allowable bearing pressure to determine what spreader pads are needed.

Most modern cranes have control systems that prevent the driver going out of radius, so the crane accidents that do still occur are mostly either the result of inadequate information about the ground, hidden voids, etc. or of the wind catching the load and taking it out of radius.

ScotGG

Established Member
Another dire night tonight. Patience understandably waning now after 4 days as to why other lines aren't functioning at all, such as London Terminals to Dartford/Medway via Woolwich and the rounders through Woolwich then round to the Eltham line. Is 2 tph from Dartford to Sidcup causing so many problems through Dartford?

Whatever causes it, everythings late, lots of cancellations and Greenwich station has 45 mins gap in the evening peak.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Southeastern's information on this disruption is pathetic. These idiots couldn't organise a **** up in a brewery. Their disruption webpage describes disruption for the rest of the week with HS1 acceptance listed. But the muppets on their Twitter feed are saying no HS1 acceptance tomorrow.

I had to buy an HS1 upgrade today despite their disruption page stating last night that HS1 acceptance would be in place today. Apparently, because they were scheduling and cancelling slow CHX services to Gravesend, that made HS1 acceptance unnecessary. Is there actually anyone competent managing this mess at SE?
If they don't refund you promptly, refer the matter to London Travelwatch or Transport Focus, as appropriate (you may wish to refer to PIDD page 8)

MrB

Yes should be all ok for a full service tomorrow morning, all the damaged track had been replaced by late last night. All that needs to be done is the testing of the signalling which will be done today.

Thanks - that's good to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.