• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Bombardier Aventras (Class 720): Technical discussion and introduction

robert west

so what's the current fleet status? How many used in service, how close to all drivers being trained?
720545 and 546 arrived from wembley on 5q30 test train to witham this morning (arrived1038)
then forms 1040 test 5q32 to thorpe le soken

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
It appears that these units have now made it to Harwich, operating the "boat trains" over the weekend

StephenHunter

Established Member
The Stadler's invasion of Essex continues apace. Clacton awaits its Pullman only 745/2s. Unless they're thinking of fitting pantos on 442s now. Who knows anything these days? I don't, probably.
Having seen the surviving 309s at the old Electric Railway Museum, I can see why they were popular.

Rode a couple last week on a trip to the Crouch Valley Line. Very smart looking inside.

Railperf

Established Member
Took a trip to Southend yesterday. The service still mainly run by 321's. I did not check the unit pairing of my train but all doors in the rearmost car were apparently locked out of use due to a mechanical issue. Driver was warning passengers at each station.
Mixed views from drivers at the moment. Some love em. some hate em.

Per other threads various TOCs have today published May 2022 timetable consultations re East Coast recast, including TL/GN. But nothing from GA. We were told West Anglia would be recast same time as TL/GN as affects Cambridge. But presumably the delays to 720s mean they are going to have to assume 317/379 timings in May 2022?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Per other threads various TOCs have today published May 2022 timetable consultations re East Coast recast, including TL/GN. But nothing from GA. We were told West Anglia would be recast same time as TL/GN as affects Cambridge. But presumably the delays to 720s mean they are going to have to assume 317/379 timings in May 2022?

... or that the service specification isn’t changing.

... or that the service specification isn’t changing.
well perhaps, but for example you can see that the 3 peak Kings Lynn - LivSt and return are going to have to be retimed (if they are re-instated post covid that is)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
well perhaps, but for example you can see that the 3 peak Kings Lynn - LivSt and return are going to have to be retimed (if they are re-instated post covid that is)

Retiming is not something that needs consultation, unless it is outside the spec set in the franchise agreement. If the services are not to return, that needs consultation. But is subject to a different decision, I suspect.

Retiming is not something that needs consultation, unless it is outside the spec set in the franchise agreement. If the services are not to return, that needs consultation. But is subject to a different decision, I suspect.
Noted, but I thought it was impolite to mention the GA Franchise Agreement

Roger B

There seems to have been a slow-down in the acceptance of new units into service - the last one was while ago. I'd have thought that 720 usage, including FFR, would be increasing , but numbers in service seem to have been pretty static - or even dropped a little - over recent weeks. Is it problems with the units and/or with driver training that's the main issue - or my imagination? Anyone in the know?

Last edited:

Shunter_69

I think GE driver training is going pretty well. I’m sure at my depot more people sign 720’s than Stadler’s now. It’s pretty close if not.

I've now had a good few rides on the 720. The acceleration is fantastic, seats are fine for a modern train and the information displays are fantastic however I can't fit through the aisles easily! The thing I'd like to ask though is different - the ride quality is although usually smooth, loud and often shudders from side to side while you feel every jolt. In addition you can hear the body panels creaking as we accelerate and decelerate. This is noticably different from what the common opinion is and I'm wondering whether it's just me.

Fincra5

Established Member
I've now had a good few rides on the 720. The acceleration is fantastic, seats are fine for a modern train and the information displays are fantastic however I can't fit through the aisles easily! The thing I'd like to ask though is different - the ride quality is although usually smooth, loud and often shudders from side to side while you feel every jolt. In addition you can hear the body panels creaking as we accelerate and decelerate. This is noticably different from what the common opinion is and I'm wondering whether it's just me.
Seems to be common with all trains that are lighter! Especially the ride over "Light-Weight" Bogies... The Cally Sleeper, for example, is awful!

Wivenswold

Established Member
The second batch, I've seen them referred to both as 720/0 and 720/1, which is correct? I assume there are currently no actual differences between the batches.

I wonder which unit was the first released as an Alstom Aventra in February 2021, if they're still under construction of course, there's not been an update from GA for some time.

By my calculations,104 x 5 car units still to arrive at Ilford Depot. 123 "Legacy" 4 car units remain in service, including 28 non-PRM Class 321s.

Finally, has anyone heard anything concrete about "Airport 720s"? I can imagine Alstom telling GA where to go if another specification revision is requested.

On Moderation
Finally, has anyone heard anything concrete about "Airport 720s"? I can imagine Alstom telling GA where to go if another specification revision is requested.
Why would Alstom do that? Variation orders are where money is made.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The second batch, I've seen them referred to both as 720/0 and 720/1, which is correct? I assume there are currently no actual differences between the batches.

I wonder which unit was the first released as an Alstom Aventra in February 2021, if they're still under construction of course, there's not been an update from GA for some time.

By my calculations,104 x 5 car units still to arrive at Ilford Depot. 123 "Legacy" 4 car units remain in service, including 28 non-PRM Class 321s.

Airport 720s? That’s a new one… can’t say I’ve heard of that before?

Roger B

I doubt it, but it won't be cheap - changes to spec are usually way more profitable that initial contracts - customer has little choice but to pay if they want their way!

Wivenswold

Established Member
The rumour was that only 5 Stadlers would be kept on the airport runs which would then be shared with 720s. The rest would bolster IC Norwich services and 3 long-distance GA commuter services from and to Ipswich and Clacton. The guys at Crown Point may know more as they'll probably not be signing 720s if this happens.

GA did actually mention back in 2018 that the Aventras would run on the Stansted Express too, but a lot has happened since then. The appearance of a bi-mode Stadler on the Manningtree/Harwich branch may point towards NE Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk seeing fewer Aventra diagrams than originally planned.

If there was a plan.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Aren't they all 720/5s now for GA? The 720/1 was for the 10-car units; an order that has now been converted into more 5-car ones.

Shunter_69

The Stadler on the Harwich’s is more to do with a lack of stock rather than anything else as only Colchester sign the traction and the route and are having to cover the other depots diagrams when one is used.

Alfie1014

Has 560 been noted accepted in traffic yet? It was with another on the 15:15 Liv St to Southend Vic this afternoon.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hiya

As far as I’m aware, these are in passenger service:

720511, 515, 517, 522, 536-540, 542-543, 547, 548, 550, 552-553, 556, 558, 560, 562, 564

Have any more started doing passenger services yet?

Railperf

Established Member
Aren't they all 720/5s now for GA? The 720/1 was for the 10-car units; an order that has now been converted into more 5-car ones.
yes 720/5 on GA.

Still appears to be no more than 6 M-F 720 diagrams. 3 x Ipswich/Colchester Town/ Clacton, and three Southend/Braintree.
Do we know how many units are accepted?

The_Train

Established Member
Has 560 been noted accepted in traffic yet? It was with another on the 15:15 Liv St to Southend Vic this afternoon.

I certainly didn't have it down as having entered service so thanks for sharing this info :)

Wivenswold

Established Member

In theory yes they are all 720/5s because, as far as we know, they are all the same. The different subclass is just admin because they'll be numbered either 001-044 or 101-144 depending on your source. I think 101-144 is favourite.