• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quin79

I wasn't allowed on mine. Had to stick with my original answers. Luckily it wasn't an issue. Hopefully they will with you.
Surprise yet again your interview seems to be different to everyone else I've spoken to

AJstuart

Hey guys I currently work for GTR and passed all assessments currently awaiting medical, latest report on all tocs in the company email that was sent is that there will be a freeze in recruitment due to covid as there will massive employment shakeup. Hoping if anyone could shed light on what this means for the recruitment drive for trainee drivers as I know members of staff who have been awaiting a course date for literally years

Hey guys I currently work for GTR and passed all assessments currently awaiting medical, latest report on all tocs in the company email that was sent is that there will be a freeze in recruitment due to covid as there will massive employment shakeup. Hoping if anyone could shed light on what this means for the recruitment drive for trainee drivers as I know members of staff who have been awaiting a course date for literally years
Chatting with colleagues, we're under the impression that the freeze in recruitment will be with non safety crit roles. However, judging by the latest vacancy email, that hasn't been implemented yet. From what we gather, we will find out more on the plans for the shakeup in a few weeks.

siraning

This is interesting. I’ve always wondered how they selected candidates for upcoming courses. As you’ve said many have been waiting for years to start, while some of us who applied in December 2020, are starting this August, while others I’ve already started.

CrashBash

This is interesting. I’ve always wondered how they selected candidates for upcoming courses. As you’ve said many have been waiting for years to start, while some of us who applied in December 2020, are starting this August, while others I’ve already started.
I know someone who also applied in Dec' 2020 and has been in training since May. Not sure how this really works. Intrigued!!!

PK96

Hey,
Congratulations, I've got my assesments coming up very shortly. Any advice? Or any revision you recommend me doing? Or anything you could send me?

Thank you

Just had the usual monthly update email saying they have filled all the upcoming assessment dates with candidates randomly chosen. Next update will be early August for the dates in September. The patient wait goes on..

Luckyflames

Hey,
Congratulations, I've got my assesments coming up very shortly. Any advice? Or any revision you recommend me doing? Or anything you could send me?

Thank you
Be prepared for a long day with numerous tests. Be on time. Most of the tests are straight forward. Stay calm focused. And don’t think if you’ve done unwell in one test to give up. Keep going.

PK96

Be prepared for a long day with numerous tests. Be on time. Most of the tests are straight forward. Stay calm focused. And don’t think if you’ve done unwell in one test to give up. Keep going.
I know it will be a all day so I'm aware and ready for that.
Any advice in what I can use to revise? E.g. Website

Thanks in advance

soxiez

Thanks in advance
search the group bourdon tool on the forums here, there are links to software you can download. or, recruitment will send you practise papers before your assessment day which also include it. practise this until your eyes bleed as i think this is the most failed part of the assessment day.

i was surprised at how easy a couple of the tests were - the listening and searching exercise (i think it's called TEA) for example, i dont think would require much practise.

for the 2 hand coordination one, make the most of your practise time. do not move the ball to the end of the track immediately as it ends your practise session, make sure you really get a feel for the controls before you begin. during the actual test, you haven't failed if you come off the track, this is to be expected to some degree, but i think (not 100% on this but it's the impression i got) that you are marked on how quickly you recover from coming off.

search on youtube for the ATVAT test. the one i sat was suspiciously similar, so if you get good at that one, you will absolutely be fine on the day with it.

on the day, make sure you completely understand what you need to do before starting the test. they're more than happy to explain it multiple times. good luck!

Luckyflames

Thanks in advance
You should’ve been sent practice material. Do these until you’re blue in the face.

Thanks in advance
I personally found the Dfft the trickiest. Really concentrate and
Take your time. I think I did 12 and passed. Others did 4/5 and passed. Accuracy counts here. along with the 2 hand co - ordination. I personally wouldn’t practice for a long period. With this one. Do your two practices and go for the test. As long as you improve throughout the test.
you will pass.

Last edited:

PK96

You should’ve been sent practice material. Do these until you’re blue in the face.

I personally found the Dfft the trickiest. Really concentrate and
Take your time. I think I did 12 and passed. Others did 4/5 and passed. Accuracy counts here. along with the 2 hand co - ordination. I personally wouldn’t practice for a long period. With this one. Do your two practices and go for the test. As long as you improve throughout the test.
you will pass.
In the DFFT if I'm not wrong is the fault finding.

I've done a practice online. However, it tells me to click the fault. When I get to the end it's wrong and I should have clicked on the non faults. So now I'm just confused as to what I should be clicking.

Does the DFFT always change per question? Or is it just one right throughout?

Thanks for the help.

soxiez

I wasn't allowed on mine. Had to stick with my original answers. Luckily it wasn't an issue. Hopefully they will with you.
just a thought - did you pass first time? maybe they thought your answers were bang on so were reluctant to let you change them to something that might be less suitable

PK96

Does anyone know if you're able to change more than one of your answers for the MMI? I've come up with much stronger answers (imo) compared to what I wrote down on the assessment day now I've had time to think about them. I'm assuming they'd let you change 1, but is it possible to change a few?
What exactly should I be expecting from the MMI?
Any particular question/s you may recall?

Luckyflames

In the DFFT if I'm not wrong is the fault finding.

I've done a practice online. However, it tells me to click the fault. When I get to the end it's wrong and I should have clicked on the non faults. So now I'm just confused as to what I should be clicking.

Does the DFFT always change per question? Or is it just one right throughout?

Thanks for the help.
It differs for each question.

soxiez

What exactly should I be expecting from the MMI?
Any particular question/s you may recall?
they give you the questions on your assessment day, and you write a short sentence to give them an idea of what you'll say. the actual mmi is on a different day though, after you've passed the assessment day and your dmi with gtr. here are the questions, they are the same for everyone:

Name a time that demonstrates that you can be relied upon to do job in face of difficulties

Name a task you have to do where it’s important you don’t make a mistake

Name a time you followed strict rules and procedures

Name a time you took control of an emergency situation

Name a time you persevered to learn something that was difficult

Name something you have done that is similar to the role of a train driver

PK96

they give you the questions on your assessment day, and you write a short sentence to give them an idea of what you'll say. the actual mmi is on a different day though, after you've passed the assessment day and your dmi with gtr. here are the questions, they are the same for everyone:

Name a time that demonstrates that you can be relied upon to do job in face of difficulties

Name a task you have to do where it’s important you don’t make a mistake

Name a time you followed strict rules and procedures
Name a time you took control of an emergency situation

Name a time you persevered to learn something that was difficult

Name something you have done that is similar to the role of a train driver
Thank you!

I'm going to work on these so when I go I have something to write about right away.

You see the "yellow pages" exam where you have to search the symbol... Do you need to search the symbol & the number at the same time of hearing the tone?
&
The awareness and recognition test.. how long do you get to see the image for?

Thank you

Traffic71

Just had the usual monthly update email saying they have filled all the upcoming assessment dates with candidates randomly chosen. Next update will be early August for the dates in September. The patient wait goes on..
Me too. Frustrating but nothing we can do but wait.

Driver_wife

I have my MMI on Thursday, I passed my DMI on 8th June, so was surprised that they had a date so soon, but I think it may have been a cancellation and I did chase up via email to ask when the next dates would be.. Last stage now before my medical.. Currently working on my prep and practising with anyone who will listen