• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR - Trainee Train Driver vacancies (07/12/20)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Luckyflames

This thread has gone very quiet. Any updates from anyone ? I understand there are only 104 places for GN & TL & 64 For Southern & Gatwick X. Competition is fierce.

soxiez

Nope. Waiting in the pool
how long have you been in the pool? i always wonder how it works re positions left, what determines how long you're in the pool etc. some people seem to progress to training very quickly, where as others sit in the pool for years.

Quin79

how long have you been in the pool? i always wonder how it works re positions left, what determines how long you're in the pool etc. some people seem to progress to training very quickly, where as others sit in the pool for years.
Not long for me. I think they're pretty up front re highlighting potential time frames in interview. Could be this year, could be next. They look at everything from when you applied, when passed assessment centres, what depots you are looking to work at etc. It'll happen when it happens. For now I'm happy receiving the monthly updates and getting slowly closer to a potential course

Wfc365

This thread has gone very quiet. Any updates from anyone ? I understand there are only 104 places for GN & TL & 64 For Southern & Gatwick X. Competition is fierce.
Hi Lucyflames,
Where did you get that info is that a reliable source?
Wonder how many they have filled already.
I’m still sat waiting for assessment date GN

soxiez

i've just been offered a course! so excited. i know they are still actively assessing so there must still be positions going. where are you up to in the process?

Driver_wife

i've just been offered a course! so excited. i know they are still actively assessing so there must still be positions going. where are you up to in the process?
Well done!! I have a friend on an assessment day today and I have 2 still waiting for an assessment day so there must be I agree..

I am in the pool now waiting for a course for Barnham- anyone else waiting for Barnham?

ungreat

This is correct actually. They told me that they have enrolled me for that starting date. Woohoooo

Thank you!!

Thank you!!
Good luck! From a GTR driver

Hey guys I currently work for GTR and passed all assessments currently awaiting medical, latest report on all tocs in the company email that was sent is that there will be a freeze in recruitment due to covid as there will massive employment shakeup. Hoping if anyone could shed light on what this means for the recruitment drive for trainee drivers as I know members of staff who have been awaiting a course date for literally years
Pretty certain it means for non safety critical roles if I read it correctly. However...anything is possible with the current government in charge of things!

Quin79

no unfortunately my notice period is too long for an august start, but i take it you're starting then? august is only around the corner, are you excited?!
How long have you been in pool for and what depot you going to?

Luckyflames

Yes that’s correct, very excited!
Congrats

Anyone on here have assessments 20/5/21 at Go ahead house. ??

Anyone on here that's on any of the upcoming courses with Southern?
Are you still waiting in the pool ? How long is that now ?

Awaiting my MMI. That’s great news. Well done you. I just don’t want to fail after coming all this way. Take care now.

Last edited:

Shin G

Well done! Where are you hoping to go and what toc?
I was hoping to go to Welling, but due to drivers being on the waiting list (6), I will be heading to Hornsey GN if I pass through now. However I will nominate Welling as soon as I start, if I do at all!

Driver_wife

I was hoping to go to Welling, but due to drivers being on the waiting list (6), I will be heading to Hornsey GN if I pass through now. However I will nominate Welling as soon as I start, if I do at all!
Good luck with the process! I’m currently in the talent pool waiting for Barnham or Horsham (which again will be unlikely) so Barnham is looking more positive!

Driver_wife

Many thanks :)

Was the MMI much different from the DMI?
Personally I found it easier as you know the questions you’re going to be asked in advance - I used this forum to do lots of research and prepared really well.. But I know each part of the process can be more or less difficult for everyone.. just think about the competencies they’re looking for and include them in your examples and I’m sure you will do great :)

Shin G

Personally I found it easier as you know the questions you’re going to be asked in advance - I used this forum to do lots of research and prepared really well.. But I know each part of the process can be more or less difficult for everyone.. just think about the competencies they’re looking for and include them in your examples and I’m sure you will do great :)
Most of my responses are related to being a train driver - I am a tube driver - so hopefully it will be apt.

Thank you, hope to see you on the rails one day :)

Skies2rail

Does anyone know or have a contact for anyone if you wish to withdraw an application?
Tried emailing and on my GTR profile page but still getting the emails about being unsuccessful for assessment day selection...

Quin79

Does anyone know or have a contact for anyone if you wish to withdraw an application?
Tried emailing and on my GTR profile page but still getting the emails about being unsuccessful for assessment day selection...
I thought there was a button on the GTR candidate profile page to withdraw

Skies2rail

I thought there was a button on the GTR candidate profile page to withdraw

My thought also!
Still getting the emails from Southern each month I'm 'unsuccessful'.. just feel like I'm taking someone's chance away by having my name in the 'draw'.. was just asking out of curiosity