• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 165/166 Turbo Diagrams

cactustwirly

Established Member
Been out the loop, do any GWR 165s or 166s make it to Paddington now?

Yes, the unit on the Greenford branch works an early morning Reading to Paddington service and comes off the branch at 9pm to work back to Reading via Paddington.

That's the only booked turbo into Paddington AFAIK

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yes, the unit in the Greenford branch works an early morning Reading to Paddington service and comes off the branch at 9pm to work back to Reading via Paddington.

That's the only booked turbo into Paddington AFAIK

That's a 165. All the 166s are now allocated to Bristol although 166201 is currently
helping out at Reading.

cactustwirly

Established Member
That's a 165. All the 166s are now allocated to Bristol although 166201 is currently
helping out at Reading.

The OP was asking about both 165s and 166s.
It's quite obvious that it would be a 165, as only 2 car units can operate to Greenford.

JN114

Established Member
COVID alterations aside, on a typical weekday you should have 3 sets of arrival/departures:-

2P07 0354 Reading to Paddington
works
2G02 0541 Paddington to Greenford

2G65 2155 Greenford to Paddington
joins
5D45 21+19 Maidenhead to Paddington
and both work
1D46 2315 Paddington to Oxford

1P47 2305 Oxford to Paddington
works
1D48 0030 Paddington to Oxford

Weekends were a bit more of a mixed bag, depending on engineering work and crew availability they could often be seen deputising (either booked or ad-hoc) on Bedwyn, Oxford or Worcester duties; although the latter is quite rare these days.

FGW_DID

Established Member
I'm learning now. Didn't know re 2 Car Sets only able to work to Greenford.

2 car only: Greenford, the Marlow Donkey and the all shacks stopper on the Cotswolds due to the short platforms at Combe & Finstock.

Parallel

Established Member
Been out the loop, do any GWR 165s or 166s make it to Paddington now?
I understand not frequently. The early morning first Greenford train and the evening return is a 165 I believe. The first Paddington to Banbury may have been one too but I can’t remember for sure.

RE The Cotswold all shacks - When I was in Oxford once, a 5 coach 800 did the honours for this service!

Last edited:
On Saturdays good bets for a turbo are 1K03 0606 Bedwyn - Paddington / 1K26 1907 Paddington - Bedwyn & 2P77 2130 Reading - Paddington / 1R45 2250 Paddington - Reading. Obviously engineering work can alter this, as mentioned above.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I understand not frequently. The early morning first Greenford train and the evening return is a 165 I believe. The first Paddington to Banbury may have been one too but I can’t remember for sure.

RE The Cotswold all shacks - When I was in Oxford once, a 5 coach 800 did the honours for this service!

80Xs can call due to SDO

I'm learning now. Didn't know re 2 Car Sets only able to work to Greenford.

Whilst Greenford itself can accommodate a 3 car 16x in the bay, Castle Bar Park, Drayton Green and South Greenford only have 50m or so platform lengths.

jimm

Established Member

Until the December 2019 timetable change, the afternoon halts calls were provided by the 16.22 from Paddington to Great Malvern (a 180 for several years, then switching to IET operation), but the GWR timetable overhaul saw the 16.20 off Paddington terminating at Oxford and Turbo operation of the halts train resumed, with the service starting at Didcot and terminating at Moreton-in-Marsh. It's not a very efficient use of a train and crew, as it sits in a siding at Moreton for an hour, before returning to Oxford at 19.10, roughly mid-way between two IETs to London, and was rather light on passengers as a result even before the start of the first lockdown.

REVUpminster

So far I have seen at various days and times 166202/203/204/211 at Paignton. I don't know if any are yet based at Exeter or just rotated down from Bristol.

When Exeter depot is fully up and running with it's three car lifting road I expect they will be permanently at Exeter. GWR have not said the depot buildings have been officially opened or I have missed it.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
So far I have seen at various days and times 166202/203/204/211 at Paignton. I don't know if any are yet based at Exeter or just rotated down from Bristol.

When Exeter depot is fully up and running with it's three car lifting road I expect they will be permanently at Exeter. GWR have not said the depot buildings have been officially opened or I have missed it.

They will not be based at Exeter but will cycle via Exeter from Bristol where they will remain based. Things could change in the future but where units are based and where most of their work actually takes place are not always related as long as diagrams cycle to enable them to visit their Home Depot.

Last edited:

REVUpminster

They will not be based at Exeter but will cycle via Exeter from Bristol where they will remain based. Things could change in the future but where units are based and where most of their work actually takes place are not always related as long as diagrams cycle to enable them to visit their Home Depot.
166s are set to replace 150s at Exeter otherwise why spend a fortune on Exeter depot unless they can service them. I've put the plan of the 3 car lifting road and the bogie turntables The whole depot is being configured for 3 car 158s and 166s. The fuel store is being moved across Station Road outside the depot.exeter depot lifting road..JPG

JonathanH

Veteran Member
166s are set to replace 150s at Exeter otherwise why spend a fortune on Exeter depot unless they can service them. I've put the plan of the 3 car lifting road and the bogie turntables The whole depot is being configured for 3 car 158s and 166s. The fuel store is being moved across Station Road outside the depot.
Isn't it more that 165 / 166s are to work alongside 150s so they need to be able to cope with both fleets?

warwickshire

On Moderation
166s are set to replace 150s at Exeter otherwise why spend a fortune on Exeter depot unless they can service them. I've put the plan of the 3 car lifting road and the bogie turntables The whole depot is being configured for 3 car 158s and 166s. The fuel store is being moved across Station Road outside the depot.View attachment 91306
Out off interest keeping it brief for this thread when are 150s due to be replaced at Exeter by ?. Please

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Isn't it more that 165 / 166s are to work alongside 150s so they need to be able to cope with both fleets?

Nothing much can happen until there are enough Turbos to operate in the Exeter area and these depend on 769s being available to release them from Reading and work some Branches and the North Downs Line. Their progress is moving at a pace slower than a snail.
They can still be based at Bristol and undergo some maintenance at Exeter

RPI

Established Member
I doubt the 150's will be going anywhere now (hopefully not as a 4 car 150 is the most practical train on the Devon Metro in my opinion) until such time as a carbon reducing alternative comes along, it was always the ambition for the Exmouth Paignton services to be four car 150's in the previous direct award that saw the cascades that took the 150/1's, 153's and 143's away, although I accept that it will all now be in the air for a while. The ability to service three car trains at Exeter is probably more to do with the three car 158's that were always planned to go there.

class ep-09

Somehow off topic but I wanted to add:

1W33 Padd - Great Malvern , down afternoon train was stopping everywhere on North Cots line , and booked to be 9 cars 8xx ( for a while ).

Stopping at Ascot under Wychwood required to stop with front cab exactly on the level crossing ( window to window with signal box).
People waiting in their cars looked quite unimpressed.
That crossing had to be closed several minutes before arrival of 1W33 due to an up train going through non stop earlier in opposite direction .

During stock shortages 2017-2019 , it was an HST quite often as well .
Looking for 2+7 , 2+8 stop boards waaaay beyond the platforms at some shacks , was an experience especially at nights .

REVUpminster

4 car 150s are inefficient with four driving cabs when a 166 can hold nearly as many passengers. The guard also checks and issues tickets on these trains and three is easier than four.
Summer Saturdays at Paignton a ticket inspector would often be in one unit (especially when 143/150s) as far as Dawlish and the guard checking tickets and issuing tickets in the other.
The depot costing £40m is going to do more than clean trains. Also all the train staff are being moved to new accommodation in the office block to allow alterations to the station. Maybe extend platform 1 to take a 5 car 802. It can only take 4 cars at the moment.
From Rail Insider
In preparation for the depot receiving its first trains, Hochtief and Sheffield-based Mechan have worked together to design, build and install two 10-tonne powered turntables on roads leading to the depot’s bogie workshop and stores, to be used to transfer bogies between roads or to turn wheelsets around.

They have also installed a set of twelve 15-tonne lifting jacks, which can lift more than one vehicle type, to provide access to the underside of a train, without decoupling, saving valuable servicing time.

FGW_DID

Established Member
4 car 150s are inefficient with four driving cabs when a 166 can hold nearly as many passengers. The guard also checks and issues tickets on these trains and three is easier than four.
Summer Saturdays at Paignton a ticket inspector would often be in one unit (especially when 143/150s) as far as Dawlish and the guard checking tickets and issuing tickets in the other.
The depot costing £40m is going to do more than clean trains. Also all the train staff are being moved to new accommodation in the office block to allow alterations to the station. Maybe extend platform 1 to take a 5 car 802. It can only take 4 cars at the moment.
From Rail Insider
In preparation for the depot receiving its first trains, Hochtief and Sheffield-based Mechan have worked together to design, build and install two 10-tonne powered turntables on roads leading to the depot’s bogie workshop and stores, to be used to transfer bogies between roads or to turn wheelsets around.

They have also installed a set of twelve 15-tonne lifting jacks, which can lift more than one vehicle type, to provide access to the underside of a train, without decoupling, saving valuable servicing time.

Just because the depot is capable of servicing units and Turbos may stable there overnight doesn’t necessarily mean the units will be allocated there.

REVUpminster

I think you mean platform 2
Sorry I did.

Again why spend so much money at Exeter (£40m) if they are not going to have 166s maintained along with the 158s? They had a great record of keeping 143s on the road.

GWR has 20 150/2s, 21 166s and 36 165s some of which will be made up to five cars and posters here don't believe the 150s days are numbered.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Sorry I did.

Again why spend so much money at Exeter (£40m) if they are not going to have 166s maintained along with the 158s? They had a great record of keeping 143s on the road.

GWR has 20 150/2s, 21 166s and 36 165s some of which will be made up to five cars and posters here don't believe the 150s days are numbered.

You will have to stop believing that units always only work in the areas in which they are allocated. Any Turbos working at Exeter are only a very small fragment of the total number used by GWR and as Post #895 has explained, the facility for carrying out heavy Maintenance is available at Exeter. Diagrams are constructed in such a way that they can cycle round and provide the opportunity to visit their Home Depot and other points such as Exeter. Although I may going to the extreme the allocated Depot may be in name only.

RPI

Established Member
From Rail Insider

I'm one of the said ticket inspectors you mention, we, nor ticket examiners have ever had diagrams or instructions to work Paignton to Dawlish? Quite a few Ticket Examiner diagrams are one or two Exeter-Exmouth-Paignton-Exmouth-Exeter or the same starting from Exeter to Paignton.
The RPI'S (such as myself) mostly have free roam on branches/mainline/gatelines/Station blocks. As far as conductors are concerned pair's of 150's are much easier to work as they have two sets of door controls in each coach with the extra cabs being useful for making additional announcements, Turbo's only have door controls in the cabs and the end sets of passenger doors nearest the cabs.

Jim

Established Member
From Rail Insider

What is this utter rubbish? A 4 car 150 is far easier to check tickets on than a 3 car 166 ever will be.

On a 4 car 150, you have 8 positions you can control the doors from (which are handy when collecting revenue on a route with frequent stops), a 3 car 166 you have three, and two of those are right next to each other!