• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Actually I think they're occupied with the transformer as the pantograph are in the driving vehicles. Which also means, I suspect, that they won't be all that much lighter.

IIRC all the intermediate cars, whether powered or unpowered, have the high floor that physically allows an engine underneath, but the driving cars cannot have a high floor because in addition to carrying the transformers they also have a low ceiling under the pantograph well?

ExTankieAaron

IIRC all the intermediate cars, whether powered or unpowered, have the high floor that physically allows an engine underneath, but the driving cars cannot have a high floor because in addition to carrying the transformers they also have a low ceiling under the pantograph well?

Yes that's correct. You leave the DPT then go up through the vestibule to the next coach, then drop back down into the next DPT. It's quite steep.

Established Member
Yes that's correct. You leave the DPT then go up through the vestibule to the next coach, then drop back down into the next DPT. It's quite steep.

I wouldn't say quite steep! I've walked through full length of a 5 car set, and difference in height is hardly noticeable.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
I wouldn't say quite steep! I've walked through full length of a 5 car set, and difference in height is hardly noticeable.

I didn't notice it at all the first time I was in a set. It's not steep by any stretch of the imagination.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

Additionally it has the result that a formation of 2 units can have pans up at the extreme ends of the train, which I recall reading was seen as an advantage in getting clearance to operate multiple pans over 110mph.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Is there a on line comparison kind of like for like with a 180 Adelante?

What are you wanting to compare exactly? Wikipedia has several of the characteristics for both classes (and you can find the original references if you follow the links)

FGW_DID

Established Member
There were a whole set of test runs on the Reading to Didcot section last night. I saw one go past Pangbourne at 7:30. There were two silver 5 car units, pantographs up and apparently running from the wires.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...3/05/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt

Saw them over the flyover at Reading this morning.

5Z27 Wantage Rd - Reading, definitely 800002 & most probably 800001.

Returning to North Pole as 5X25, currently sat in P10 at Reading Stn as I type this.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There were a whole set of test runs on the Reading to Didcot section last night. I saw one go past Pangbourne at 7:30. There were two silver 5 car units, pantographs up and apparently running from the wires.

Apparently under possession with no other trains running.
When you say "2 units", do you mean separate runs with single units, or were they double sets with both pantographs up?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Came across a 800 running from Newcastle to Doncaster IEP depot at Darlington a few days ago which was using the wires with service trains running around it so it definitely appears to be an issue with the GWML wires rather than something wider. Though hopefully the runs reported above mean that those issues are soon to be resolved!

D1009

Established Member
Saw them over the flyover at Reading this morning.

5Z27 Wantage Rd - Reading, definitely 800002 & most probably 800001.

Returning to North Pole as 5X25, currently sat in P10 at Reading Stn as I type this.
Is there any significance in those tests having 5Zxx train numbers rather than 5Xxx which have been used for almost all other tests so far?

leomartin125

Is there any significance in those tests having 5Zxx train numbers rather than 5Xxx which have been used for almost all other tests so far?

I believe in detail a lot of the test runs on Route Section 1 have been given the 'Z' headcode as these are test runs on a short section of track, which can be routed automatically. The 'X' headcode comes into use a lot with the longer ECS runs and tests down to Exeter, where the RA of the unit means it needs to be routed manually to avoid ending up somewhere it isn't cleared to operate in case something (like a train failure, traction motor failure (etc) occured). As the tests recently were on a small section of track with nowhere else to really go between the two points, these could be routed automatically hence the 'Z' headcode.

I don't believe it's anything to do with speed or unit capability being doubled up.

To clarify - Test trains between North Pole and Exeter would use the 'X' headcode to ensure the signaller routes it via Bristol, where it is cleared to operate. If it had a 'Z' headcode it would almost certainly be sent down the Berks & Hants line, where the IEP isn't cleared to go at present as the routing would be automatic.

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
Are we sure that that is an 800 and not an 802? I was under the impression that all of the 800s were being done in white, not to mention that the 800s are supposed to be fitted out at Newton Aycliffe, whilst that photos show slightly more than the bodyshells that you might expect to be delivered to the UK for the IEP batch.

FGW_DID

Established Member

From the Network Rail WTT (my bold)

FOUR-CHARACTER TRAIN IDENTIFICATION SYSTEM
The number inserted in each column above the train title is the description allocated under the four character train identification system and provides the following information:-
1. The first figure indicates the classification of the train.
2. The second character indicates the destination area or Zone (see also below).
3. The third and fourth figures represent the individual number of the train.
X In the second character indicates trains conveying out-of-gauge or other exceptional load.
Z In the second character indicates excursion, military, Royal or other special train.

Perhaps in this case it is because between Reading & Wantage Rd it was running as a 'special' train I.e under test conditions but once it finishes these runs and moves back to NP, it changes to a X to signify to the signaller that it is not to deviate off its booked route.

D1009

Established Member

The number inserted in each column above the train title is the description allocated under the four character train identification system and provides the following information:-
2. The second character indicates the destination area or Zone (see also below).
X In the second character indicates trains conveying out-of-gauge or other exceptional load.
Z In the second character indicates excursion, military, Royal or other special train.

Perhaps in this case it is because between Reading & Wantage Rd it was running as a 'special' train I.e under test conditions but once it finishes these runs and moves back to NP, it changes to a X to signify to the signaller that it is not to deviate off its booked route.
Sounds good to me, so the only significance is that there are officially no gauging issues between Reading and Wantage Road.

JN114

Established Member
Sounds good to me, so the only significance is that there are officially no gauging issues between Reading and Wantage Road.

Or at least no gauging issues on the only lines open to traffic, negating any risk posed if routed off planned path as it can't get off planned path...

Typhoon_93

My guess on the one seen being moved by road in Japan is the first shells for the 8003xx Batch for GWR as the shell seen is fitted out the same as the ones being delivered to Aycliffe.

ExTankieAaron

Are we sure that that is an 800 and not an 802? I was under the impression that all of the 800s were being done in white, not to mention that the 800s are supposed to be fitted out at Newton Aycliffe, whilst that photos show slightly more than the bodyshells that you might expect to be delivered to the UK for the IEP batch.

They are being built in Kasado and the Hitachi plant in Italy too.
We just had T71 and T72 arrive over past few weeks at Doncaster. Both built in Kasado.

One of the first body shells for Italy. Thus 802.
It is a regular occurrence for the body shells to be moved by road from the factory to the dock for shipment. Only this move was during day light hours and subject to some local Hitachi PR. Hence the crowds.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member

So why were the GWR HSTs from Penzance to Paddington running as 1Zxx on Sunday?
They werent running as excursion, military, Royal or other special trains so why the Z headcode?
The answer is because they were running via Bristol instead of the B&H.

Why did XC run a 1Z60 yesterday (Monday)?
Answer because the usual 1V60 was terminated at Edinburger with a 1Z60 restarting from Newcastle in the original path.

Z is a catch all and is used whenever there is something/anything different.

Typhoon_93

I don't know for sure but looking at the shell it looks a lot more complete than the one recently pictured at the factory in Italy and having compared it to the shell of one delivered into Aycliffe recently it looks to completed to the same level so I would suggest it's part of a 8003xx 9car set.

800008 broke cover this morning at Aycliffe.

Established Member
One of the first body shells for Italy. Thus 802.
It is a regular occurrence for the body shells to be moved by road from the factory to the dock for shipment. Only this move was during day light hours and subject to some local Hitachi PR. Hence the crowds.

These are shells for 800306, 307 and 308. Bound for the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.