• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

JN114

Established Member
Are any IEPs expected to be testing in Scotland?

Testing, no.

The test sites are Devon banks, Swindon - Reading, Darlington - Doncaster and Peterborough - Grantham.

There may be some route proving once units are handed over to VTEC

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spark001uk

Established Member

leomartin125

Saw 5X29 go through Reading, not long after the NR test train left p4. Was the "Azuma" one. I guess the test down to Newton was intended to compare performance results with the 5 car among other things?

The Azuma has been doing the Plymouth and Exeter Test Runs for a while now, and yes it is to compare performance of the two 800 models, 800/0 and 800/1. As the Azuma is currently the only nine car IEP to have been released from Newton Aycliffe, GBRf are using it for testing on both the ECML and GWML.

Envoy

Established Member
I still can’t understand why no 800’s have been sent at least once down all the routes they are going to be used on - if nothing more than to check clearances.

JN114

Established Member
I still can’t understand why no 800’s have been sent at least once down all the routes they are going to be used on - if nothing more than to check clearances.

That's called route proving and is done by the train operator.

Hitachi is still doing preliminary testing on the units - making sure they do what they say they would before handing them over to the operator.

Spod

Part of the Intercity Express Programme included clearance, OHLE and power supply upgrades to allow these trains to run. The surveys have already been done to ensure they aren't going to hit anything on their routes (or that any obstructions will be dealt with by the time the trains need to run past them). Okay, so nothing beats a real life test, but the risk of a route clearance issue being discovered that will take months to fix is pretty low.

leomartin125

Hitachi is still doing preliminary testing on the units - making sure they do what they say they would before handing them over to the operator.

If GWR are going to be doing this in house, once the units are delivered, I guess it would make sense to do it with the driver training at the same time. For example, if a set was scheduled to dop a Worcester Foregate Street run for driver training, the set could also be route proving at the same time. Especially since no IEP has ever touched Oxford let alone the Cotswolds yet, considering the plan is to put the sets on this route as one of the first and initial routes later this year.

Mintona

Established Member
If GWR are going to be doing this in house, once the units are delivered, I guess it would make sense to do it with the driver training at the same time. For example, if a set was scheduled to dop a Worcester Foregate Street run for driver training, the set could also be route proving at the same time. Especially since no IEP has ever touched Oxford let alone the Cotswolds yet, considering the plan is to put the sets on this route as one of the first and initial routes later this year.

That's not the plan. I'd be amazed if an IET makes it to Oxford this year.

II

That's not the plan. I'd be amazed if an IET makes it to Oxford this year.

The plan as of a few days ago when I spoke to a senior GWR manager is to run 5-car IET's on three of the 180 diagrams from December when the 180s head off to Grand Central. That will mean quite extensive use to Oxford and the Cotswold Line.

The plan may change, as it's changed many times before, but that is the current ambition. :D

JN114

Established Member
The plan as of a few days ago when I spoke to a senior GWR manager is to run 5-car IET's on three of the 180 diagrams from December when the 180s head off to Grand Central. That will mean quite extensive use to Oxford and the Cotswold Line.

The plan may change, as it's changed many times before, but that is the current ambition. :D

They may reach Worcester diagrams come December, but Worcester first is not the plan. If they do they won't be replacing 180s, as they're meant to be entering service with GC by the December TT change.

JN114

Established Member

Driver training involves classroom, simulator work, and then a dozen hours or so driving them on the mainline.

The paths for it are already LTP in the system - there are some Class 3 Paddington to Bristol Parkway / Gloucester and returns as Q paths set up. I haven't looked but I'm sure they will be on RTT or similar if you wanted to know more specifics.

Route Proving isn't suitable for Driver Handling training, that's all about confirming train/station compatibility, and is usually done once or twice at night with long, very accurate stops at stations. You want an experienced driver at the controls. When it was done for the 387s to Hayes, a couple of Senior Paddington drivers - who'd been away at GTR for a few months traction training with them - did the honours.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
The Azuma has been doing the Plymouth and Exeter Test Runs for a while now, and yes it is to compare performance of the two 800 models, 800/0 and 800/1. As the Azuma is currently the only nine car IEP to have been released from Newton Aycliffe, GBRf are using it for testing on both the ECML and GWML.
Will they be doing the same at all with the GWR IEPs on the ECML to compare performance?

Clarence Yard

Established Member

That is correct but the potential move of the Didcot start up to 02/01/18 and the need now to get HST sets away on time to Scotland is complicating matters. As is the potential Xmas engineering work. GWR have the 180 units to 31/12/17 at the very latest, although GC would like them earlier, so there is a mix and match diagram exercise going on now from the 11/12/17 nominal change date to about the middle of January 2018 when the cascade plan should revert to normal.

II

Thanks for confirming that, Clarence Yard. I feel sorry for those who are trying to determine a plan with many interdependencies and ever shifting goalposts!

spark001uk

Established Member
Sorry if it has already been posted.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K97210/2017/03/20/advanced

Is this a Class 800 test? If so, which one?

Thanks. :)

I would have thought if it was it'd be pathed as a diesel multiple unit rather than hst. In fact, there's this working leaving there before it at 0310 which is pathed as such, going to Acton ML. Followed immediately by this, which could possibly be the Azuma going back up north?

Also for Monday, more curiously, there's this and this, which are pathed as a 165/166, although these are now showing as cancelled. Not sure what they were about. Not even sure turbos are cleared to go up there?

Last edited:

leomartin125

I have noticed this is running today, and is a daylight run, so may pop down to my local station to see it - photograph it too. No idea which units this will be but one hopes an 800004 + 800006 combo!

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K97282/2017/03/19/advanced

Yeah, just as I imagined, my worse nightmare. Went down to Maidenhead today, weather was crap, and saw 800001 and 800002. In July 2016 I saw the same two at the same spot, same station, same order, same time, same weather. I'm bored of the lack of variation, so I'm going to call it quits. Knew GBRf would defeat me in the end.

Last edited:

ajay1071

800 002 just arrived in Swansea. Now at the new Maliphant IEP Depot.

Last edited:

superkev

Established Member
Forgive me if this has been covered but don't some of the 80x run with 2 pantographs raised and is such operation now ok for the older electrifications like. The ecml?
K

deltic08

On Moderation
380s, 700s now 800s. Can't remember other stock having so much trouble with commissioning.

Class 87s and 90s had a quick spin with half a dozen coaches in tow and they were into traffic the next day. Is this the result of buying 'foreign' or just over complicated electronically?

deltic08

On Moderation
Also for Monday, more curiously, there's this and this, which are pathed as a 165/166, although these are now showing as cancelled. Not sure what they were about. Not even sure turbos are cleared to go up there?

Could be that cascaded Turbos are standing in for HSTs after they have left for Scotrail and before 800s are fit to run to Bristol.

deltic08

On Moderation
I have noticed this is running today, and is a daylight run, so may pop down to my local station to see it - photograph it too. No idea which units this will be but one hopes an 800004 + 800006 combo!

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K97282/2017/03/19/advanced

Yeah, just as I imagined, my worse nightmare. Went down to Maidenhead today, weather was crap, and saw 800001 and 800002. In July 2016 I saw the same two at the same spot, same station, same order, same time, same weather. I'm bored of the lack of variation, so I'm going to call it quits. Knew GBRf would defeat me in the end.

Is this significant that Airport Jnc to Reading was completed in 10 minutes less than schedule or was it an easy schedule?

leomartin125

Is this significant that Airport Jnc to Reading was completed in 10 minutes less than schedule or was it an easy schedule?

I presume it gave way for other services in front, there were two HST's directly in front of it, but it looks like it made good progress, was running late at Maidenhead but was early at Reading.

jayah

On Moderation

Preliminary?

The first set arrived over two years ago last week.

Someone is paying a bomb for all this testing. The stuff has been built, so money has changed hands in the supply chain, but the trains still aren't earning.

gsnedders

Established Member
Preliminary?

The first set arrived over two years ago last week.

Someone is paying a bomb for all this testing. The stuff has been built, so money has changed hands in the supply chain, but the trains still aren't earning.

Hitachi thinks it is worthwhile to spend a lot of time testing the trains prior to entering service because the penalties for any failures in service are so draconian. One can conclude that they believe it's cheaper to pay for years of testing than it is having one train occasionally fail in service in the first year of operation with teething problems.

If the contract agreed by the DfT had reduced penalties for train failures in the first year of operation we might not be seeing such drawn out testing.

Domh245

Established Member
Forgive me if this has been covered but don't some of the 80x run with 2 pantographs raised and is such operation now ok for the older electrifications like. The ecml?
K

Will be running with 2 pantographs in the case of 2x 5 car units coupled together. VTEC will have 22 5 car trains across both 800 and 801 fleets so I suspect that there won't be many cases of multiple operation. I imagine that they'll be passed for 125mph operation in multiple (failing that - 110mph), but I suspect that they won't be cleared for 140mph in multiple without upgrades to the wires (which is what Series 1 was designed with in mind)

Status
Not open for further replies.