• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Strike Timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow1964

Established Member
GWR are taking an interesting approach on their website

Passengers are advised to find alternative ways to travel on these days. Only travel by train if absolutely necessary. The majority of train services will not operate and there will be no services on many routes. Other train operators are also affected by this industrial action which could impact onward journeys.
not do not travel, but find a non-rail alternative.

Quite rare to recommend the opposition, as usually seen as opposite of trying to build passenger numbers

TSSA are striking on GWR on 6th October too, which is the reason they are quoting
Per GWR strike page

6 October​

• Strike Action: TSSA managers and office staff only
which seems a poor reason to shut down whole North Downs Line, unless they expect staff to skive when managers aren’t around

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LordCreed

which seems a poor reason to shut down whole North Downs Line, unless they expect staff to skive when managers aren’t around

TSSA include control staff, so running a full service would make it impossible for crews to get through to control.

BRM

I was looking at a journey Abergavenny to Oxford on 7th and return on 9th. I know there will be disruption but the GWR website says the strikes days are 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th. Is this an attempt to reduce travellers as the 6th & 7th aren't strike days.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I was looking at a journey Abergavenny to Oxford on 7th and return on 9th. I know there will be disruption but the GWR website says the strikes days are 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th. Is this an attempt to reduce travellers as the 6th & 7th aren't strike days.

6th and 7th are strike days however…

JN114

Established Member
There will be very, very few control office staff in on those dates due to TSSA strikes

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Yes as the days immediately after strike days are more likely to have disruption and GWR don't want pesky customers passengers to clog up whatever is running

No, the 6th and 7th are strike days. TSSA which includes Control staff are on strike.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

infobleep

Veteran Member
TSSA are striking on GWR on 6th October too, which is the reason they are quoting
On the strike late it says this for the 6 and 7 October
TSSA managers and office staff only
Does this cover control staff and is that why the services can't run?

I might be is misremembering but I thought it wasn't possible to run the fast Reading to Garwick Airport services following RMT strikes on GWR, yet this Sunday they are running.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
The GWR Web site says:
On Saturday 19 and Monday 21 train services operating through the Thames Valley between London Paddington and Bristol will be disrupted. All other areas of the GWR network will continue to operate as normal. Please check your journey.
https://www.gwr.com/strike

However further down when listing services that are running, they don't mention Reading to Gatwick Airport and they are not running tomorrow.

Clearly all other services are not operating normally tomorrow.

Bill Badger

The GWR Web site says:

However further down when listing services that are running, they don't mention Reading to Gatwick Airport and they are not running tomorrow.

Clearly all other services are not operating normally tomorrow.
Reading to Gatwick appears to be operating normally until late afternoon tomorrow, but in the evening it's just east of Guilford. Presumably linked to the dispute when getting to the GWR Main Line.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Can't they start trains to Gatwick Airport later?

Part of the reduction in service might well just be to do with the lack of planning resources to do another iteration of plans, do get the timetable delivered in time it could well just need to be kept simple.

The railway planning fraternity has been somewhat over stretched in recent years at times it nears total collapse.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Part of the reduction in service might well just be to do with the lack of planning resources to do another iteration of plans, do get the timetable delivered in time it could well just need to be kept simple.

The railway planning fraternity has been somewhat over stretched in recent years at times it nears total collapse.
That makes sense. I take it some of the signals are controlled by NRE signallers in the Thames Valley area.

opentrainsmaps shows the boundary between TVSC(T) and Wokingham(WM) and so there is no access to any platforms at Reading from the Earley direction without TVSC control.

There used to be a cross over, just east of Earley, that was used by freight to access the Earley oil terminal, but that disappeared decades ago and so SWR have to turn round at Wokingham when TVSC is shut.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
This is an isolated TVSC (Thames Valley Signalling Centre) dispute compared to national RMT action, hence why some will terminate short of the TVSC controlled action and run 'effectively normally' outside those areas. Most of the last trains from Paddington remain the same as the previous ones though.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Not sure if this is related but the North Downs line appears to have no Gatwick trains tomorrow - is this strike-related? There is no mention of the issue on NRE, or on GWR's web site. EDIT - sorry, just spotted the earlier posts. There are no Reading to Gatwick trains all day tomorrow, Saturday 19th November. I only found this out by looking at RTT - it's appalling that 'normal' passengers are left in the dark/misled by 'official' sources.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Not sure if this is related but the North Downs line appears to have no Gatwick trains tomorrow - is this strike-related? There is no mention of the issue on NRE, or on GWR's web site. EDIT - sorry, just spotted the earlier posts. There are no Reading to Gatwick trains all day tomorrow, Saturday 19th November. I only found this out by looking at RTT - it's appalling that 'normal' passengers are left in the dark/misled by 'official' sources.
Yes, this is industrial action. Monday as well.

Updates on Industrial Action

Travel update

Industrial action will affect rail services on Saturday 19, Monday 21 and Saturday 26 November.

On these strike days train services on many parts of the GWR network will be disrupted. Trains on the days following the industrial action may also be disrupted.

On Saturday 19 and Monday 21 train services operating through the Thames Valley between London Paddington and Bristol will be disrupted. All other areas of the GWR network will continue to operate as normal. Please check your journey.

Where train services are affected, a reduced service will operate between 07:30 and 18:30, and the last trains will be earlier than usual.

In the affected areas, where we are able to run services, they are expected to be extremely busy. Online journey planners are being updated with the latest timetable information as soon as is possible (please see the table below for details).

Customers who have already purchased tickets for strike days can claim a full refund or amend their ticket; those who travel and are delayed may be entitled to delay repay compensation if they are delayed by 15 minutes or more. Season ticket holders can apply for compensation through the Delay Repay scheme.

To help customers, tickets will be valid for travel on alternative days on GWR services as follows:

Tickets for travel on Saturday 19 November are valid for travel on 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23 November

Tickets for travel on Sunday 20 November are valid for travel on 20, 21, 22 and 23 November

Tickets for travel on Monday 21 November are valid for travel on 20, 21, 22 and 23 November

Tickets for travel on Saturday 26 November are valid for travel on 25, 26, 27 and 28 November

GWR will operate as many trains as possible. The following travel advice is in place:

Saturday 19 November

A limited service will operate on parts of the GWR network. In the affected area services will start at 07:30 and all journeys must be completed before 18:30.

A reduced service will run only on the following routes between:

London Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads

London Paddington and Swansea: after 18:30 trains run between Cardiff and Swansea only

London and Bristol Parkway/Cardiff
London Paddington and Hereford/Worcester

London and Plymouth: after 18:30 trains run between Westbury and Plymouth

Cardiff and Portsmouth Harbour: after 18:30 trains run between Westbury and Portsmouth Harbour

Cardiff to Taunton/Plymouth: after 18:30 trains run between Weston-super-Mare and Taunton/Plymouth
Westbury to Swindon via Melksham
Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester/Worcester/Great Malvern: after 18:30 trains will only operate north of Gloucester towards Worcester
St Austell and Penzance (due to planned engineering work)
St Ives; Falmouth; Paignton; Barnstaple and Okehampton to operate as normal
Westbury and Weymouth

London Paddington and Oxford/Didcot

Twyford and Henley

Slough and Windsor

Maidenhead and Marlow

Reading and Basingstoke

Reading and Redhill

Trains that are operating will be extremely busy. If you are intending to travel on these routes, please check your journey before travelling.

Basically hourly between Reading and Redhill between 0730 and 1830. Shuttles Redhill to Guildford outside these times. Early finish.

Affects SWR as well
https://www.southwesternrailway.com/plan-my-journey/industrial-action
Due to industrial action by signallers at the Thames Valley Signalling Centre, customers travelling to and from Reading, Earley, Winnersh, and Winnersh Triangle should check before they travel and expect disruption on Saturday 19 and Monday 21 November.

There will be a limited service to and from these stations from 0730 to 1830 only on Saturday 19 and Monday 21 November. There will be no service to or from these stations before 0730 or after 1830, with trains terminating at Wokingham.

Please do not travel to the England v New Zealand rugby match at Twickenham Stadium on Saturday 19 November via rail from Reading, Earley, Winnersh, or Winnersh Triangle, as there will be no service available to take you home after the match. Services to the match from other stations on the network will be unaffected.

There will also be some additional services serving stations between Reading and Ascot from 0730 to 1830 and Wokingham and Ascot before 0730 and after 1830 for the November racing at Ascot Racecourse on Saturday 19 November.

Timetables for services to Wokingham and Reading can be downloaded by clicking on the links below.

Saturday 19 November 2022
Monday 21 November 2022

On Sunday 20 and Tuesday 22 November, there will be a late start-up with first trains departing much later than usual. These first trains are likely to be very busy, so please avoid them if you can. After the late start-up, there will be a normal service for the rest of the day.

Last edited:

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Yes it’s been mentioned for some days on GWRs website here, hardly misleading:

And here on NRE

It’ll also appear in all journey planners. There are also posters at stations.

Can I ask how you think this is in the dark and what is misleading?

Deepgreen

Established Member
Yes it’s been mentioned for some days on GWRs website here, hardly misleading:

And here on NRE

It’ll also appear in all journey planners. There are also posters at stations.

Can I ask how you think this is in the dark and what is misleading?
I went to the GWR and NRE web sites - there was nothing on the home pages so I went to 'Plan your journey' - still nothing mentioned. However I think now that I was somehow seeing old pages because it's clearly there on the home pages now. Thanks for the pointers - I may have some computer cache clearing to do!

infobleep

Veteran Member
I went to the GWR and NRE web sites - there was nothing on the home pages so I went to 'Plan your journey' - still nothing mentioned. However I think now that I was somehow seeing old pages because it's clearly there on the home pages now. Thanks for the pointers - I may have some computer cache clearing to do!
If one looks up trains for Monday on NRE, there is no warning notice against trains to Gatwick Airport. So unless you check for disruption, you could think trains are running.

Some GWR trains on the route to Bristol do have a warning message however. I checked from Reading.

Also, I notice the 22:20 is not running to Gatwick Airport this Saturday as it usually does. This means someone amended the service to finish short. Why not just run it as planned? Better than nothing

If you just read the first paragraph on the GWR strike page you might think trains to Gatwick Airport wouldn't be affected as it only says the London Paddington to Bristol route is affected, which isn't the case.

If only the planning staff had time so they could put in a timetable that enabled trains to terminate and start from Wokingham.

I fully appreciate why they don't. I know GWR is very keen for trains to run to Gatwick Airport, as I'm sure there is a reasonable flow that way. So it isn't as if they would want services to be cancelled.

Phil G

My son needed to travel from Chippenham to Bristol on Saturday afternoon and it was a bit odd that the GWR app said no trains but RTT and national rail showed trains until 17:40. He turned up for the 16:40 which ran no problem. Why would GWR not want to sell tickets?

Benjwri

Established Member
My son needed to travel from Chippenham to Bristol on Saturday afternoon and it was a bit odd that the GWR app said no trains but RTT and national rail showed trains until 17:40. He turned up for the 16:40 which ran no problem. Why would GWR not want to sell tickets?
Are you sure the app showed no trains? If it didn’t it was most likely a technical issue rather than intentional, the app should show the strike timetable, as every other journey planner.

I know it was showing Bath - Bristol journeys earlier in the day, so would be highly surprised if it didn’t show Chippenham. It seems to be showing them for Monday too.

Status
Not open for further replies.