• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train Driver talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanC87

Last I heard the DFT wanted us to give them our Sundays are part of the pay negotiation. Aslef see it as a separate negotiation as Sundays outside is a term and condition we can sell anytime, historically Sundays have been worth a £4-5k increase when sold so should be a separate pay talk. See what happens but I was given to understand that was the stand point

How much is working a Sunday worth. Is it a different amount depending on the toc.

I would have thought if its paid overtime it would be hard to get as so many would want it.

When ot is offered where I am now in the police everyone is fighting over it

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kae

Yes it does vary depending on the TOC but it is being negotiated at a national rate by the TU though it is a separate commodity in terms of salary and so forth. From my understanding we should have a better understanding in the near future but its not something you new starters should worry or focus on at the minute.

Nonuts

How much is working a Sunday worth. Is it a different amount depending on the toc.

I would have thought if its paid overtime it would be hard to get as so many would want it.

When ot is offered where I am now in the police everyone is fighting over it
Atm we have booked/rostered Sundays (roughly 2 a month) which we can make ourselves unavailable for, if someone has put in for Sunday overtime, if no one has then you've to work them. It's an enhanced rate at GWR currently. Far as I'm aware for tocs with Sundays inside the week it's standard rate of pay.

Stigy

Established Member
Atm we have booked/rostered Sundays (roughly 2 a month) which we can make ourselves unavailable for, if someone has put in for Sunday overtime, if no one has then you've to work them. It's an enhanced rate at GWR currently. Far as I'm aware for tocs with Sundays inside the week it's standard rate of pay.
Well, we apparently have to work them, but it's a grey area...

Supanosh

Hello everyone. I have been a silent reader on this forum since I came on the railway in 2019.
I thought I'd share my experience as I passed my medical yesterday, I was a bit nervous as when I did my Guard medical with SWR in 2019, as I was told to be careful with my earing so I've been paranoid about it since then.

Timelines:
Mar 2020 - I applied and did online assessments,
July 2021 - Initial Zoom interview
Mar 2022 - MMI
May 2022 - I had to resit all written and computer-based assessments with Southeastern (My application here was withdrawn as they now
want you to live 20mins from the depot) because my competencies had lapsed having taken them for a previous application with
Freightliner in 2019.
July 2022 - DMI
Aug 2022 - Verbal conditional offer on a TTD course starting December 2022 for Paddington, email followed shortly after
Sep 2022- Medical and uniform order.

It's been a long journey and I'm ecstatic I'm finally getting there!!!

RupturedDuck

Hello everyone. I have been a silent reader on this forum since I came on the railway in 2019.
I thought I'd share my experience as I passed my medical yesterday, I was a bit nervous as when I did my Guard medical with SWR in 2019, as I was told to be careful with my earing so I've been paranoid about it since then.

Timelines:
Mar 2022 - MMI
May 2022 - I had to resit all written and computer-based assessments with Southeastern (My application here was withdrawn as they now
want you to live 20mins from the depot) because my competencies had lapsed having taken them for a previous application with
Freightliner in 2019.
July 2022 - DMI
Aug 2022 - Verbal conditional offer on a TTD course starting December 2022 for Paddington, email followed shortly after

It's been a long journey and I'm ecstatic I'm finally getting

Last edited:

WombleGuard

Timelines:
Mar 2022 - MMI
Freightliner in 2019.
July 2022 - DMI

Many congratulations

Oldnewbie

Timelines:
Mar 2022 - MMI
Freightliner in 2019.
July 2022 - DMI

Massive congratulations! :D:D I've sent you a message when you get a chance to read it!

Timelines:
Mar 2022 - MMI
Freightliner in 2019.
July 2022 - DMI

Well done and good luck! See you at Pad sometime - keep an eye out for the grey polo shirts!

Oldnewbie

Can anyone tell me what to expect from a GWR driver medical, please. I've got one coming up. TIA

Nonuts

Can anyone tell me what to expect from a GWR driver medical, please. I've got one coming up. TIA
Sight and hearing tests. Colour blindness test, ECG, height and weight for BMI. Drug and alcohol pee test. Proctological exam..... possibly not the last

Oldnewbie

Sight and hearing tests. Colour blindness test, ECG, height and weight for BMI. Drug and alcohol pee test. Proctological exam..... possibly not the last
Cheers Nonuts.....knowing my luck they will do the last one and the doctor will have hands like shovels.....:oo_O:oo_O

snakeydave24

Don't turn up in a 3 piece suit, because you'll have to take the top half off for the ECG, I would say smart casual, It's an eyesight test, colour blindness test, they check your BP, height and weight, ECG, hearing test, pee in a cup for drug and alcohol test, you'll be asked about your medical history, how you are feeling in general, get your cert and then go off to order uniform, so know your sizes, you get to try the jacket and polo top on for size but I'd say they are pretty much spot on what I size them as.

Oldnewbie

Don't turn up in a 3 piece suit, because you'll have to take the top half off for the ECG, I would say smart casual, It's an eyesight test, colour blindness test, they check your BP, height and weight, ECG, hearing test, pee in a cup for drug and alcohol test, you'll be asked about your medical history, how you are feeling in general, get your cert and then go off to order uniform, so know your sizes, you get to try the jacket and polo top on for size but I'd say they are pretty much spot on what I d

Don't turn up in a 3 piece suit, because you'll have to take the top half off for the ECG, I would say smart casual, It's an eyesight test, colour blindness test, they check your BP, height and weight, ECG, hearing test, pee in a cup for drug and alcohol test, you'll be asked about your medical history, how you are feeling in general, get your cert and then go off to order uniform, so know your sizes, you get to try the jacket and polo top on for size but I'd say they are pretty much spot on what I size them as.
Much appreciated ;)

This... well most of it!

If you wear glasses then bring them and the prescription is useful too (as I found out) It's all fairly relaxed so it's nothing to worry about

Oldnewbie

This... well most of it!

If you wear glasses then bring them and the prescription is useful too (as I found out) It's all fairly relaxed so it's nothing to worry about
Thanks. I'm getting worked up over the thought of it...hopefully unnecessarily o_O

DWR

Had the call this week.

Apologies in advance for asking for information which I'm sure is on here somewhere, but I've searched and cannot find it. It might also be outdated anyway...

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of an overview of first 8mths of training, so I can see what to expect and when?

Stigy

Established Member
Had the call this week.

Apologies in advance for asking for information which I'm sure is on here somewhere, but I've searched and cannot find it. It might also be outdated anyway...

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of an overview of first 8mths of training, so I can see what to expect and when?
Hi, congratulations! Which depot is it for? I can’t supply definitive information for you, but it’ll be something like;

• (if external) Corporate induction/customer service training (GEMs) - 2 days

• PTS - 2 days

• Intro to rules - 1 week

• Rules - 6 weeks (in between there will be some weeks of front end turns/leave so realistically probably 10 weeks)

• Traction - 4 weeks

May have changed now, as this relates to about 3 years ago. Also, that’s going off the top of my head so I may be mistaken.

Smith3712

Had the call this week.

Congratulations! Interested to know what depot you're going to be at if you don't mind sharing?

When are you starting? Bet you can't wait now though!

Had the call this week.

Congratulations! Based on my course earlier this year, it will be something similar to this

Week 1 - GEMs (Corporate Intro)
Week 2 - Introduction/PTS/Misc
Week 3 - Front End Turns
Week 4/5 - Intro to Operations
Week 6-8 Core Rules
Week 9 - Front End Turns
Week 10-12 Core Rules
Week 13/14 Base Foundation Traction
Week 15-18 Primary Traction

There will probably be some annual leave in there too - usually a week. There are lots of assessments scattered about over the weeks too

Once you've done all the above you'll be doing Intro to handling for a week (driving a train to see if you can take instruction). If that's all OK then you will be given a DI to start learning your routes. The timing of getting a DI will be determined by the availability of DIs. Some depots are much better endowed that way than others!

You will get a full training plan from the academy closer to your start date but hopefully all the above will give you a idea of what to expect

DWR

Thanks for the quick responses...and level of detail. Am I correct in thinking it's office hours until Intro to Handling module?

PLY. Medical Dec, course Jan...but after 3.5yrs of waiting, I'm not counting my chickens just yet!

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for the quick responses...and level of detail. Am I correct in thinking it's office hours until Intro to Handling module?

PLY. Medical Dec, course Jan...but after 3.5yrs of waiting, I'm not counting my chickens just yet!
It’s generally office hours (though shorter usually…). Front end turns you’ll go with whoever you’re out with and follow their shift usually.

Smith3712

I applied April 19 so similar times and in the same pool. Hopefully the courses are picking up again now and more of us might get the call.

Congrats again and all the best with training!

Status
Not open for further replies.