• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kings Cross ‘uncrossed’ Layout/Remodelling - Information and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Any idea what sort of OLE will be placed in the tunnel? Is this going to be a conductor bar or standard contact wire?

Fairly sure it’s standard. Why use conductor bar which is much more expensive?

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Another picture of trackslab! Nice to see inside of the tunnel as well - it looks very clean :)

I'd wonder if they've had the soot scabbler out.

Fairly sure it’s standard. Why use conductor bar which is much more expensive?

I'd expect so - the tunnels are pretty bloody huge (presumably to aid draughting in the days of steam). The existing OLE is on fairly lengthy drop tubes as a result.

InOban

Established Member
During the subsequent closures are they going to install slab track in the other tunnels. May be more difficult since there will be switches inside each.

Mcq

Ta. To be honest I don't know what the specific use case for conductor bar is.
Given the location, traffic density etc - I'd have thought reliability of conductor bar compared with pans bringing wires down was worth consideration

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Given the location, traffic density etc - I'd have thought reliability of conductor bar compared with pans bringing wires down was worth consideration

Rigid overhead conductor is a solution for specific limited clearance and special application areas such as those Bald Rick mentions, where maintenance is a problem (it's used at St Pancras Thameslink for a complicated mix of geometry related wear and maintenance reasons). It's not specifically a magic bullet for "high risk areas" - it's quite a complicated transition from wire to conductor, the whole system is massively heavy, and it only protects against a couple of OLE related failure modes whilst bringing about its own failure modes which would not be quick to fix, unlike a conventional OLE dewirement in the tunnel.

It's also a pretty low risk area - low line speed and pretty much perfect (and consistent/stable) track geometry thanks to the slab track, and there's a significant number of support structures available to mount electrification components onto.

malc-c

That's a bit bit more interesting Bald Rick - can you give a heads up as to what will be happening in the next month - even if our excellent malc-c can't be there with camera in hand!
Malc-c set an incredibly high standard for the Stevenage P5 thread - it would be good if anyone is able to pep this one up a bit, given the enormity and strategic importance of this project.
Your updates on the Stevenage Turnback were second to none, and I'm not sure anyone could match them for content and frequency. I do wonder whether the site at KX is less accessible to unofficial observers, which along with less regular travel into London may have made anyone thinking of trying to document the project decide that they wouldn't be able to provide anything meaningful to post.

:o Thanks guys.... that means a lot to me.

Granted Stevenage had better access or vantage points than Kings-X, but looking on Google maps there are some locations which could be used (assuming they are still in place, like the temporary footbridge in goods way, which would give views if the throat into the platforms). Views from Randell's Road show track bed and construction work taking place, but other than that access would be limited unless you could get permission from any corporate sites off York Road...

We receive London regional news on ITV and BBC and other than a small interview with someone from Network Rail when the project had just been started with the first major possession of the line between Stevenage and London last year, there has been little media interest since. No doubt that mich change when the work is completed

Meerkat

Established Member
We receive London regional news on ITV and BBC and other than a small interview with someone from Network Rail when the project had just been started with the first major possession of the line between Stevenage and London last year, there has been little media interest since. No doubt that mich change when the work is completed
Just guessing but they might not want to publicise the work too much in case all the press coverage is “railway CLOSED!” - the project will cause a lot of disruption. And of course putting it on journalist/public agenda raises the stakes if it becomes “weren’t you supposed to finish that last month??.”
Better to wait til you have (working) shiny new stuff ready to show off.......

malc-c

Just guessing but they might not want to publicise the work too much in case all the press coverage is “railway CLOSED!” - the project will cause a lot of disruption. And of course putting it on journalist/public agenda raises the stakes if it becomes “weren’t you supposed to finish that last month??.”
Better to wait til you have (working) shiny new stuff ready to show off.......

True...

takno

Established Member
:o Thanks guys.... that means a lot to me.

Granted Stevenage had better access or vantage points than Kings-X, but looking on Google maps there are some locations which could be used (assuming they are still in place, like the temporary footbridge in goods way, which would give views if the throat into the platforms). Views from Randell's Road show track bed and construction work taking place, but other than that access would be limited unless you could get permission from any corporate sites off York Road...

You can get pretty good views traveling backwards out of the correct side of a train leaving kings cross. I don't know what's been cleared out of the way but I had a better view of the old farringdon tunnel entrance than I ever remember before, and a good view of the slab track emerging from the north end of the tunnel

jopsuk

Veteran Member
no services at all on the ECML or Hertford Loop south of Potters Bar and Gordon Hill.

59CosG95

Established Member
Post on LinkedIn that the 2 Anchor Portals in Belle Isle (between Gasworks & Copenhagen Tunnels) were installed by KXR's principal contractor, Morgan Sindall, over the weekend just gone.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Feels like slab track in tunnels has almost become standard in the last few years - definitely a good thing if I understand its benefits correctly.

If you think it's a good thing, then you're definitely understanding its benefits correctly.

AY1975

Established Member
Hull Trains' website says they will be running a reduced service of just two trains in each direction on Christmas Eve but it doesn't say what if anything they will be running during the 27th-30th December closure. The Grand Central site says no services between 27th and 30th December. IIRC during some of the previous closures Hull Trains has diverted its services into St Pancras.

Mcq

Given the complete closure of KX this weekend and the almost nightly works in the Moorgate tunnel, has anyone any updates please?
In another thread I believe it was intended that all signalling in the tunnel would be updated by the end of December - does this mean the end of LU tripcocks?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Given the complete closure of KX this weekend and the almost nightly works in the Moorgate tunnel, has anyone any updates please?
In another thread I believe it was intended that all signalling in the tunnel would be updated by the end of December - does this mean the end of LU tripcocks?

The trip cocks will go when the ETCS goes live, but that won’t be next month AIUI.

The weekend closures have been for track work, OLE work and erecting gantries.

59CosG95

Established Member
The trip cocks will go when the ETCS goes live, but that won’t be next month AIUI.

The weekend closures have been for track work, OLE work and erecting gantries.
Yes, in KGX the work has, along with track work, included removing old signalling LOCs (Location Cabinets for those not in the know) and installing foundations (piled and concrete) for new signals and OLE.

Mcq

Yes, in KGX the work has, along with track work, included removing old signalling LOCs (Location Cabinets for those not in the know) and installing foundations (piled and concrete) for new signals and OLE.
Thanks both - every little (piece of information) helps - especially on a project of this scale.

dmncf

Here are some photos of the engineering work underway at Kings Cross Station today. Definitely no trains from Platform 0!

20201227_121927.jpg

20201227_121944.jpg

20201227_122046.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.