• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Apprentice Driver - Newcastle (09/02/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

arkleycd

I did, there was myself and one other person from lner taking the tests.
Did you get much notice for them? Assuming you found out on the same day you passed? Is the assesment day 8-4, just wondering as I will probably have to stop over the night before.
Sorry for all the questions

Defty27

Did you get much notice for them? Assuming you found out on the same day you passed? Is the assesment day 8-4, just wondering as I will probably have to stop over the night before.
Sorry for all the questions
No problem it's what the thread is for! I stayed overnight just so that a traffic jam or something else out of my control couldn't ruin all of the work I had put in so far. Also wanted to be well rested and not stressed out first thing in the morning! I got about a weeks notice for when it would be. Assessment started at 09:00 and I was out by 14:00 but there was only two of is and I did the final interview first.

Last edited:

arkleycd

No problem it's what the thread is for! I stayed overnight just so that a traffic jam or something else out of my control ruined all of the work I had put in so far. Also wanted to be well rested and not stressed out first thing in the morning! I got about a weeks notice for when it would be. Assessment started at 09:00 and I was out by 14:00 but there was only two of is and I did the final interview first.
Many thanks, appreciate it, found out I passed the DMI beginning of April so hopefully not much longer to wait for them

Rachymoz

If you want to practice the psychometric tests, I'd recommend the how2become.com software - it was harder than some tests, so it was good practice.

Good luck with your future application!
Hi MawCo, can I ask which package you went with on the how2become website? There are so many to choose from!

Shunted

Hi MawCo, can I ask which package you went with on the how2become website? There are so many to choose from!
I would definitely use the software from this company instead, it’s a lot closer to the actual tests you will do on the day.
I was very disappointed with how2become software

Rachymoz

I would definitely use the software from this company instead, it’s a lot closer to the actual tests you will do on the day.
I was very disappointed with how2become software
Thank you shunted. Just not sure which one to get, submitted GCSE evidence and wanted to practise for the psychometrics in the hope that I get invited soon but the software listed on there appears to be for some of the tests I have already done at an earlier stage?

Shunted

Wh
Thank you shunted. Just not sure which one to get, submitted GCSE evidence and wanted to practise for the psychometrics in the hope that I get invited soon but the software listed on there appears to be for some of the tests I have already done at an earlier stage?
Which ones have you already done?

Wh

Which ones have you already done?
If I had to recommend any, it would be the package for the vigilance, traffic perception and 2 hand coordination!
For me, these were the hardest tests especially the traffic perception

Last edited:

TreacleMiller

Gb test is a sticky on this forum.

Theres a tone test on this forum.

There are vigilance test on YouTube identical the real test.

There are real ATAVT examples online, some images used in the real test too.

Two hand coordination requires the specific hardware, the real practice materials you will have got as practice material is the most you're going to get.

If you've passed why do you want the material?

Shunted

Gb test is a sticky on this forum.

Theres a tone test on this forum.

There are vigilance test on YouTube identical the real test.

There are real ATAVT examples online, some images used in the real test too.

Two hand coordination requires the specific hardware, the real practice materials you will have got as practice material is the most you're going to get.

If you've passed why do you want the material?
I don’t, was just intrigued by this ‘superior’ free training aids you can get and from your description it does sound useful but definitely not superior!

Tones test doesn’t really require practice if you have good hearing

Vigilance allows you to practice concentrating for the full half hour staring at the flashing box

Traffic perception has many test examples which you can set to appear for 1 second and select what you saw just like the real test

2 hand coordination allows you to move round various tracks using up/down and left/right and even has the exact shape of track you will do on the day!

Glad you found your own way of doing things but I was replying to the person wanting advice on available software and the ‘how2become’ sadly is not good at all

MawCo

Hi,

I went with the full package - I did try some of the free resources but they were not up to scratch. I found this software to be very useful and actually over prepped me for the tests.

I think it’s down to individual preference, but this worked for me.

B Boy 82

Good morning can anyone give a rough idea of how many images we see in the ATAVT test and roughly how long the image is up for ?

Long shot question

TreacleMiller

Search for the test on YouTube, a demo of it is available there. Timings are exactly as per that video.

If you want to practice, get a friend to use Google Street view to get images from various traffic junctions in Vienna and have them show you them on a print / screen for 1 or 2 seconds.

On the day Its 15/16ish images plus a practice. Two of my images were in the software manufacturers YouTube video

B Boy 82

Search for the test on YouTube, a demo of it is available there. Timings are exactly as per that video.

If you want to practice, get a friend to use Google Street view to get images from various traffic junctions in Vienna and have them show you them on a print / screen for 1 or 2 seconds.

On the day Its 15/16ish images plus a practice. Two of my images were in the software manufacturers YouTube video
Many thanks

Snitch123

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had any further updates with their application? I still haven’t heard anything since an email in March time explaining they are working through applications.

Congratulations to all who have got to the psychometric stage and have passed.

MawCo

Hi,

I’ve received an offer and start this month. There’s a lot of different stages still so I think they’re looking at it based on notice period and what not also. However, I’ve heard they’re taking a lot on so if you haven’t heard anything yet don’t worry too much about it they’re just trying to work thru everyone.

Snitch123

Hi,

I’ve received an offer and start this month. There’s a lot of different stages still so I think they’re looking at it based on notice period and what not also. However, I’ve heard they’re taking a lot on so if you haven’t heard anything yet don’t worry too much about it they’re just trying to work thru everyone.
Hi MawCo,

Congratulations on the start date! You looking forward to starting? I’m sure you’ll smash it!

I do have a notice period of 2 months so maybe that is a factor. I imagine there very busy so will just have to wait it out.

All the best in the job role!

Defty27

Hi,

That's great news congratulations!

Yfg132

Hi,

Congratulations! Amazing oppurtunity.. What line of work are you leaving behind if you don't mind me asking? Is Train driving something you have wanted to do for a long time or quite a spontaneous dicision?

MawCo

Hi MawCo,

Congratulations on the start date! You looking forward to starting? I’m sure you’ll smash it!

I do have a notice period of 2 months so maybe that is a factor. I imagine there very busy so will just have to wait it out.

All the best in the job role!
Hey,

Can’t wait to start, wanted to be a driver for a long time. Wasn’t expecting to get it on my first time applying but I’m not complaining!

Fingers crossed you hear something soon

Congratulations! Amazing oppurtunity.. What line of work are you leaving behind if you don't mind me asking? Is Train driving something you have wanted to do for a long time or quite a spontaneous dicision?
I was self-employed as a researcher but was also a sparky so bit of a mixed background. I’ve always wanted to do it as I’m now a third generation so it’s kind of the family business in a sense so very happy to be continuing the tradition

StuM

Congratulations to everyone who have progressed so far.

Has anyone else recently received an email placing you in the talent pool for 6 months due to fulfilling the Newcastle allocation? I haven't progressed any further that the 6 x video questions so a little frustrating to be 4 months on but I guess my name is still there for now and anything can still happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.