• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Is there a festive menu for us plebs in scum class? You know, the people who have to pay for food and drink on the train

The point being you guys are moaning about a free butty and a cup of tea and a cake. That costs me about £10 in scum class.

Last edited:

Jan Mayen

Do any TOCs still employ chefs?
Edit: I forgot about Great Western and it's Pullman dining. Are there any others?

Established Member
£2.50 for Nescafe? That's steep!
At Greggs that will buy a big cup of proper coffee and probably a cake or something as well

Taylor’s of Harrogate for the non decaf options. It’s the convenience factor being paid for - also these days less than a similar size cup at Pret would cost (admittedly that will be better coffee).

I don’t think the Greggs muck is proper coffee either.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is there a festive menu for us plebs in scum class? You know, the people who have to pay for food and drink on the train

The point being you guys are moaning about a free butty and a cup of tea and a cake. That costs me about £10 in scum class.

It's sold in M&S Food on the station concourse. Far better than any on train grub.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

But a standard ticket probably costs significantly less than those who get the free butty and cake, so that's surely not unreasonable?

Established Member
But a standard ticket probably costs significantly less than those who get the free butty and cake, so that's surely not unreasonable?

This is very true.

Given that price differential, surely the more legitimate moan is about shoddiness of the product now being offered to 1st class ticket holders.

I haven’t checked but it’s unlikely LNER 1st will be available for less than a £10 premium over standard(?)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
This is very true.

Given that price differential, surely the more legitimate moan is about shoddiness of the product now being offered to 1st class ticket holders.

I haven’t checked but it’s unlikely LNER 1st will be available for less than a £10 premium over standard(?)
Personally, I've always thought the "Christmas menu" brought in by Virgin Trains and LNER was just an excuse to offer crappy packaged sandwiches and fruit cake as an alternative to the standard hot meal fare - although I already think LNER are cheaping out by having "DELI" on so many services.

There's absolutely no way Avanti West Coast could implement this Christmas menu malarkey now that Standard Premium exists. You cannot get away with selling seats at £50+ extra purely for the benefit of a sandwich and cup of tea.

Fuzzytop

LNER always did scale back to sandwiches over Christmas week. But this is all over December! Really poor show.

Established Member
At least it’s on website so it shows people what’s on offer, they don’t have to purchase 1st class tickets. At least they can make an informed choice.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Why couldn't an LNER equivalent of Pullman dining work? I'm sure on the 08:00, 09:00 and 10:00 down departures a full breakfast service would be a hit. Same for the 15:30 and 16:30 up for a dinner service.
By making buffet and first offerings so bad LNER and Avanti are sabotaging themselves.

Sleepy

Established Member
At least it’s on website so it shows people what’s on offer, they don’t have to purchase 1st class tickets. At least they can make an informed choice.
And what about those that have already purchased 1st class tickets and don't find out until they travel ? Expecting a full cooked breakfast & then that menu appears will leave 1st class ticket holders feeling short changed.

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
And what about those that have already purchased 1st class tickets and don't find out until they travel ?
Indeed. I have booked to travel First Class on the 12 35 from York to Edinburgh on 30th November and was looking forward to enjoying the 'Dish' menu.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Indeed. I have booked to travel First Class on the 12 35 from York to Edinburgh on 30th November and was looking forward to enjoying the 'Dish' menu.

One would assume in November it would still be the normal menu!?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
It really doesn’t look Christmassy at all. Just a few sandwiches on a christmas inspired menu.

Surely they could offer something at least slightly festive rather than a cheese savoury roll.

hkstudent

Established Member
Xmas menu only from 30 November to 4 January inclusive. The Deli and Dine menus are unavailable at this time. Both according to LNER website.
If passengers bought the ticket from LNER site directly and been notified to have dish menu.
If the provison is downgraded, it's likely be false advertisement according to consumer protection law.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Why couldn't an LNER equivalent of Pullman dining work? I'm sure on the 08:00, 09:00 and 10:00 down departures a full breakfast service would be a hit. Same for the 15:30 and 16:30 up for a dinner service.
By making buffet and first offerings so bad LNER and Avanti are sabotaging themselves.
I'd have thought offering it southbound (towards London) in a morning and northbound (away from London) in an afternoon would make more sense.