• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just for your info these are the confirmed runs that will be worked by 319s until the May timetable change which will then see further 319's introduced.

0616,0716,0916,1215,1416,1516,1713,1814 Liverpool-Man Air and 0735,0840,1040,1340,1540,1640,1840,1940 Man Air-Liverpool

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marko31161

Heard a rumour that the press shindig for Monday had been cancelled. No further information, don't know what to make of that

mcnw35282

Hope they are running 319's next Monday...I've booked a day off work to get my car serviced and get last few bits for my trip to Australia so would be nice to ride a new(ish) train on our new electric railway before I go!

DJH1971

Established Member
Just for your info these are the confirmed runs that will be worked by 319s until the May timetable change which will then see further 319's introduced.

0616,0716,0916,1215,1416,1516,1713,1814 Liverpool-Man Air and 0735,0840,1040,1340,1540,1640,1840,1940 Man Air-Liverpool

From next Monday maybe?

After all, there is no mention of any further Sunday closures (up to now) after 1st March.

ironstone11

From next Monday maybe?

Rail technogolgy Magazine seems to think so.

Northern Rail has confirmed that pending a successful test of the line tonight and ORR final approval, it is planning run its first electric Class 319 services next week, from Liverpool to Manchester airport.

Planning and programmes director Rob Warnes, speaking to RTM’s Sam McCaffrey at an event today to see the refurbishment of the 319s and take a ride on the upgraded trains, confirmed that the delayed introduction of electric services is soon to begin.

Northern had originally hoped to have services ready for the December 2014 timetable change, but delays to Network Rail’s electrification programme prevented that.

The delay was blamed on “unexpected ground conditions and technical issues with the wiring equipment”, encountered while installing overhead catenary wires on the 184-year-old former Liverpool and Manchester Railway main line.

Last edited:

8A Rail

Established Member
Heard a rumour that the press shindig for Monday had been cancelled. No further information, don't know what to make of that
That is because it was not being held on Monday!! It was today with 2Z01 13.30hrs LSP-Crewe and 2Z01 14.20hrs Crewe-LSP - Northern Rail Press / Publicity train. Both journey's operated and on time too. HTH.

DJH1971

Established Member
That is because it was not being held on Monday!! It was today with 2Z01 13.30hrs LSP-Crewe and 2Z01 14.20hrs Crewe-LSP - Northern Rail Press / Publicity train. Both journey's operated and on time too. HTH.

That was kept quiet, in my opinion.

No mention of this on Northern's website.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Looks like congratulations are needed for the successful test of the new wiring :D. Everyone who has worked on this for the last few years should be proud of what they've achieved :). A significant moment in history for this line.
Maybe those on this forum who have been following every little move should be included too? :lol: I live nowhere near the area of the electrification but have been keeping an eye on the thread and seen how enthusiastic and excited everyone has been :P

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member

That is really helpful, thank you.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looks like congratulations are needed for the successful test of the new wiring :D. Everyone who has worked on this for the last few years should be proud of what they've achieved :). A significant moment in history for this line.
:P

Hear hear.

Hophead

Established Member
And, of course, many thanks and much appreciation to LDECRexile and friends for keeping us all so well informed on progress.

One question, though: what on earth are you going to do with yourself now? How will you fill your days?

DJH1971

Established Member
And, of course, many thanks and much appreciation to LDECRexile and friends for keeping us all so well informed on progress.

One question, though: what on earth are you going to do with yourself now? How will you fill your days?

There is still phases 3 & 4 to come yet!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There is still phases 3 & 4 to come yet!

If we could club together and get you a regular booking in a B&B near Didcot, and you could cover the GW in similar detail, that would be good... :D

Congratulations from me for the interesting photo coverage.

Last edited:

DJH1971

Established Member
As someone who has lived right next to the line my whole life, it has been amazing to watch the work going on for the past few years.

It is nice to see some excellent investment for my local service and it was nice to see a bit of history with the first 319 over the Chat Moss last night.

Seconded :D

LDECRexile

Established Member

Wow, thank you very much. I've never done owt like this before, it has just growed and growed.

I've met some smashing people, some in person, some just on t'internet and had a lot of fun.

I've learned a lot and understood a lot I never gave much thought to before.

I've been very impressed by the skill, endeavour and good humour shown by Orangemen (and three Orangewomen) who I've shot over the past fourteen months.

Lastly, I have been impressed by the whole tone and tenor of this thread, which has been constructive, civil and sharing, with people from all walks of life giving their two 'pennorth like good 'uns. The odd moaner or sarcy sod has strayed our way, but they've gone away when they've gained no traction.

What next, you kindly ask? Manchester to Blackpool looks interesting.....

With kind regards

Dave

PS this missive is written with gracious permission of 46202 who has asked the same question from a rather different perspective.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
This is fantastic news, maybe I will be making a trip to Liverpool in a couple of weeks after all! :D

Congratulations to all involved, it may be late (for good reason!) but it's finally done and we're all grateful for it!

I must admit I haven't followed all of the photos, but those I have seen have been an interesting insight into the wiring up of a busy railway. We've got no such regular input for the wiring of the GWML :(

Billyblue

Wow, thank you very much. I've never done owt like this before, it has just growed and growed.

I've met some smashing people, some in person, some just on t'internet and had a lot of fun.

I've been very impressed by the skill, endeavour and good humour shown by Orangemen (and three Orangewomen) who I've shot over the past fourteen months.

Lastly, I have been impressed by the whole tone and tenor of this thread, which has been constructive, civil and sharing, with people from all walks of life giving their two 'pennorth like good 'uns. The odd moaner or sarcy sod has strayed our way, but they've gone away when they've gained no traction.

With kind regards

Dave

PS this missive is written with gracious permission of 46202 who has asked the same question from a rather different perspective.

Dave,
My thanks to you for the brilliant photos (which you must eventually donate to a local museum) which have kept us all informed, and up to date, on an almost daily basis. Thanks to everyone else on here, particularly DJH1971, who have also made a major contribution and answered some of my seemingly stupid questions.
Although from Liverpool, I have lived near Huyton Station since just after the 3rd and 4th tracks were removed so it's great to see them (nearly for 4) restored,
Also thanks to all the workers who have always been open to discussing what they were doing etc.
I'll miss the drilling and piling during the night and my almost daily walks along the footpath to see what they'd been up to.
Just the 4th track to watch out for now and then I suppose it's back to monitioring the weekly bin collections lol
I hope to be on the first one out of Lime Street which, I understand, looks likely to be early next Monday morning.
Cheers,
Bill

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I must admit I haven't followed all of the photos, but those I have seen have been an interesting insight into the wiring up of a busy railway. We've got no such regular input for the wiring of the GWML :(

It's odd, because there is almost nothing to see from any of the intermediate stations between Reading and Didcot, even though there are a lot of masts and either 'crossbars' or cantilevers in position alongside the line in-between stations, it doesn't seem to change much from week to week.

I sometimes wonder if it's the lull before the storm, but this is really for a different thread.

ALX400

With kind regards

Dave

You've got to cover the Manchester/Blackpool bit now, al be distraught if you don't lol, those photos and updates have been really good and interesting, don't give up now :)

Billyblue

Just back from Huyton Station; just me and an Orangeman there! He was telling me that everything went smoothly, last night, but even though the trains can run there's still a lot of infilling to do. I think we knew that anyway, but after last night there doesn't appear to be any obstacle to the Monday start.
Looks like I'll have to get up early on Monday (and actually pay on the train as it's before 9.30am) !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.