• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomneedham85

As the work is coming to an end I would like to thank you all for your comments and pictures. I would also like to say what a pleasure it has been working in the area. On a whole the public have been great (apart from the shotgun incident that happened) I only have a few more weeks on the project then I'm off to phase 4 in Bolton. Hopefully there will be a thread as good as this one. Thanks. Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8A Rail

Established Member
That was kept quiet, in my opinion.
No mention of this on Northern's website.
Why this needs to be mentioned on their website (or advertise to the public) - the train was for the press/media etc, so they will do the publicity for them. For other members if you are curious, 2Z01 and 2Z02 were in the system before the weekend gone, so the train was forward planned and not a last minute arrangement - needs to be so press/media people can make arrangements to be there etc.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Can I just add my 2p-worth from my temporary home Down Under. I'll be back to check "height and stagger" next month!
It's been a real pleasure reading the detailed and informative posts made under this thread by a committed set of rail-watchers in the 3 years it has been running, and has become a daily must-read.
The best thing is learning how things work from the experts and professionals who post on here.
Dave's photo library is a valuable resource and shows how it all happened - warts and all. His perseverance and eye for detail is exceptional.
I just find it very odd that the higher-profile GW project has not had anything like the same level of reportage.
Anyway, we're not done yet, even on Phase 2 (Wigan, Man Vic etc).
But if passenger services do begin next Monday, Network Rail can at least give itself a pat on the back for belatedly rescuing the project from a big delay.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Thank you to the people who have said so many kind things in the last 24 hours, I really appreciate it.

Paul and I did the midnight shift at Earlestown last night and had the pleasure and privilege of seeing the first ever electric train through Platform 3 - the bi-directional West-South curve. We also saw a run past (fly past!) along the Chat Moss lines.

The trains definitely have a different look and feel, but especially a different sound in these parts. I remember the sound from travelling through London for work 2008-9, but it's new up here.

My photos are a big disappointment, but Paul has come up trumps with his very first go at video in his life - what a star. I'll load 'em up after finishing this.

We're both really looking forward to having a go on Monday.

Thanks once again

Dave

ALX400

We all need to morph over to the Blackpool / Manchester thread and make that a must read just like this thread has been, keeping a watchful eye on this one for any changes that may happen of course lol

LDECRexile

Established Member

Llama

Established Member
Your dedication is much appreciated, thanks for all the info over a long time now.

LDECRexile

Established Member
As the work is coming to an end I would like to thank you all for your comments and pictures. I would also like to say what a pleasure it has been working in the area. On a whole the public have been great (apart from the shotgun incident that happened) I only have a few more weeks on the project then I'm off to phase 4 in Bolton. Hopefully there will be a thread as good as this one. Thanks. Tom

It's been such a pleasure having you and your like around.

Please don't forget to send the final version of your super Sankey Viaduct document.

Kind regards

Dave

deltic08

On Moderation
Can I just add my 2p-worth from my temporary home Down Under. I'll be back to check "height and stagger" next month!
It's been a real pleasure reading the detailed and informative posts made under this thread by a committed set of rail-watchers in the 3 years it has been running, and has become a daily must-read.
The best thing is learning how things work from the experts and professionals who post on here.
Dave's photo library is a valuable resource and shows how it all happened - warts and all. His perseverance and eye for detail is exceptional.
I just find it very odd that the higher-profile GW project has not had anything like the same level of reportage.
Anyway, we're not done yet, even on Phase 2 (Wigan, Man Vic etc).
But if passenger services do begin next Monday, Network Rail can at least give itself a pat on the back for belatedly rescuing the project from a big delay.

Can I please add my name to this thank you. It has been a daily must-read.

Last edited by a moderator:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Warm thanks to people who have written kind things since Post #4116.

Now back to business:

1. I drove up and down the M57 yesterday to and from Grandadding and could see that the crews I noticed on Sunday working on and near the Wigan Branch bridge had indeed done their stuff. The temporary fixings have been replaced with permanent ones. Another box ticked.

2. On a still-to-be-snagged note I've been told that what I termed Passes 5 & 6 in last night's test runs (please see the Photos in Series 3306) exposed some work still to be done with signal LL1577, which is the one 'in the wrong direction' at Huyton. The planned shunt move didn't go smoothly, and the signal had to be passed at danger, as the signaller couldn't clear it.

Dave

Billyblue

Now back to business:

1. I drove up and down the M57 yesterday to and from Grandadding and could see that the crews I noticed on Sunday working on and near the Wigan Branch bridge had indeed done their stuff. The temporary fixings have been replaced with permanent ones. Another box ticked.

2. On a still-to-be-snagged note I've been told that what I termed Passes 5 & 6 in last night's test runs (please see the Photos in Series 3306) exposed some work still to be done with signal LL1577, which is the one 'in the wrong direction' at Huyton. The planned shunt move didn't go smoothly, and the signal had to be passed at danger, as the signaller couldn't clear it.

Dave
Dave,
I have a short video of a 319 going through Huyton Station. I've emailed it to friends and put it on Facebook but can't get it on here.
Any advice would be welcome.
Bill

8A Rail

Established Member
Not sure it's been posted already, but 'Mentor' was also out this week having a 'testing time' on the NW Electrification, swiftly followed by the Northern 319s.
I assume you got permission from Image Owner to paste the link image on to this forum? If not, you need to remove the link. He has complained and I have consequently removed the link from my earlier message (4055).

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Dave,
I have a short video of a 319 going through Huyton Station. I've emailed it to friends and put it on Facebook but can't get it on here.
Any advice would be welcome.
Bill

I've sent you a 'Private Message' with contact details, but the public part is that I would warmly welcome it and any other material you or others have for the Combined Volume.

Thank you for getting in touch

Dave

Wavertreelad

Now back to business:

Dave

Dave - Many thanks for your huge effort in documenting this project, I've been completely hooked for the last two years. Well done.

Wavertreelad.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Is that a reference to missing UK beer? :D

No, I'm more interested in the wine. ;)

That and trying to figure out how railways in Victoria and SA manage to run busy dual gauge networks.
There are extensive broad (Irish) gauge networks around Melbourne and Adelaide (mostly 750V DC OHLE), and standard gauge freight/long distance interstate lines.
The impressive Melbourne broad gauge system uses 3/6-car EMUs running DOO, with a city centre loop much like Merseyrail's Wirral line (only bigger).
Some decent modern stock too (Bombardier).
Makes the 319s seem old hat.

Billyblue

I've sent you a 'Private Message' with contact details, but the public part is that I would warmly welcome it and any other material you or others have for the Combined Volume.

Thank you for getting in touch

Dave
Dave,
Replied with another private message but it didn't seem to work. Emailed the video about 45 mins ago.
Regards,
Bill

deltic08

On Moderation
The impressive Melbourne broad gauge system uses 3/6-car EMUs running DOO, with a city centre loop much like Merseyrail's Wirral line (only bigger).

That is exactly what they are, Old.

mcnw35282

No, I'm more interested in the wine. ;)

That and trying to figure out how railways in Victoria and SA manage to run busy dual gauge networks.
There are extensive broad (Irish) gauge networks around Melbourne and Adelaide (mostly 750V DC OHLE), and standard gauge freight/long distance interstate lines.
Flinders Street is something else isn't it! (My sister lives in Melbourne, I'm flying out there next week for 4 weeks!)

LDECRexile

Established Member
I have received two very welcome approaches this evening.

1. 'AMT', a regular contributor to the forum, has renewed his offer of editing facilities and skills on the growing film collection. I have taken him up on it. With Paul's ready permission AMT has tweaked Paul's fine film of 319 363 at Earlestown last night, removing Paul's toes near the end. I have added the edited version to Paul's album and replaced the original with the new version in the Combined Volume.

AMT is now working on Monday's films of a 319 at Liverpool South Parkway. Paul lost his toes, I look set to lose some particularly nice close-ups of ballast.

Thank you AMT.

2. I'm delighted that billyblue, another regular, has sent a film of 317 363 hurrying through Huyton on its way to Paul and me at Earlestown just after Midnight last night.

I have created an album for this and possible future material from billyblue here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648707438634/

I have also added it to the Combined Volume as 3304m Huyton, in correct sequence just before last night's 3306 Series. The Combined Volume is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Thank you billyblue.

DavidL

Again, excellent work from all those who have documented this project (and of course the members who have been working on the infrastructure!)

Very happy to report that as of this morning, the lonely errant "wire tie" dropper just a few yards west of Garswood station footbridge has now been replaced with something more suited to the job. Given the rapid progress elsewhere on the branch in the past fortnight, does this mean we might get an exciting late night/early morning 319 test on the Wigan branch soon? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.