• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I've just heard from an authoritative source that paperwork isn't all completed and the first 319s in service will be Thursday at the earliest.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That doesn't mean to say that he or she is wrong though, does it?

Never said they were wrong, a journey on a 319/3 today will be the same as one in 4 weeks time, but I still feel I was perfectly justified in detailing the several reasons why we should be excited about the 319s' imminent arrival on passenger services.

8A Rail

Established Member
Clearly you don't have the same passion for the railway some of us have...:roll:

Don't I??? :D:D

Regardless of the 319s running everyday services soon, some of us have been looking forward to the change of the guard, with regards to motive power on Liverpool to Manchester (and soon enough Liverpool to Wigan) services, for some time now. Quite, we were expecting the 319s to begin running out of Liverpool at the December 2014 timetable change originally, then January, then February and now we're finally getting them in March 2015. It's taken ages, but it's finally coming! :D

It's not JUST about the 319s, it's about the eventual arrival of modernisation of the North West's railway network, which I'm sure you must agree is long overdue. Of course, we now need to see such changes in the North East too, another area whose railway is in rather serious need of bringing into the 21st century, but let's not go there. It's also about how the arrival of the 319s will release badly needed 156s for use elsewhere, it's about the launch of services over Todmorden Curve finally beginning soon as a result. The 'sparks effect' will be kicking in now too, with more passengers coming to the railway as a result of more modern trains, which no-one can deny is good news.

Of course, it's also about the enjoyment factor too! I love the 150s and 156s, but I also love the noise 319s make on AC power. Get the motors on a nice and fast stretch (which the Liverpool to Manchester Airport services will certainly provide plenty of) and hear them singing away <D

So yeah, we've got good reason to be excited about the 319s' imminent start on passenger services out of Liverpool!

Well I put it another way, this scheme should of took place over 50 years - yes 50 years ago when the electrification of the LNWR line / WCML took place in the mid 60's!!! Yes better late and never - very much long long overdue!

So yes I look forward to travelling on the trains as there will be plenty of opportuntities to do so - that is my point and nothing do with your comments above which have been written many times over on this thread by other people. By the way, it should not be refurbished Class 319's we will be travelling on, it should be brand new trains, but sadly that is not possible for numerous reasons and that subject has been also covered elsewhere.

As some members on here already are aware, I've watching progress on this scheme for the last 4 years and it has been duly recorded too, so if you think I "don't have the same passion of the railway some of us have" then I can happily live with that - it seems to bother you more than me and others! :lol:

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fair, you've got your views and I have mine. Just remember, they may not be new trains but they'll be long enough for the route, unlike trains operating on one of my local routes!

Regardless of anything else, it's all improvements so we can be grateful things are finally catching up!

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Clearly you don't have the same passion for the railway some of us have...:roll:

Of course, it's also about the enjoyment factor too! I love the 150s and 156s, but I also love the noise 319s make on AC power. Get the motors on a nice and fast stretch (which the Liverpool to Manchester Airport services will certainly provide plenty of) and hear them singing away <D

So yeah, we've got good reason to be excited about the 319s' imminent start on passenger services out of Liverpool!

So are you suggesting you couldn't have a waited another week or two or indeed even four weeks to hear a class 319 on a revenue earning service in the North West? Is that how much it matters to you?

Class377/5

Established Member
Oh dear, more poor project planning / management in evidence?

Neither. You have no idea of the sheet amount of paperwork that it involves. Considering that only a week ago there still hadn't been a test train and now people are jumping up and down throwing words around like above without taking any time to realise it's actually its to be expected. The railway is a industry where safety comes first. That means proving the systems in place are safe and is not something that happens overnight.

With the delay, it simply means the correct steps are being taken to ensure the continued safe transport of people on our railways. A worthwhile goal that's far more important than a few less days of electric trains running.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Neither. You have no idea of the sheet amount of paperwork that it involves. Considering that only a week ago there still hadn't been a test train and now people are jumping up and down throwing words around like above without taking any time to realise it's actually its to be expected. The railway is a industry where safety comes first. That means proving the systems in place are safe and is not something that happens overnight.

With the delay, it simply means the correct steps are being taken to ensure the continued safe transport of people on our railways. A worthwhile goal that's far more important than a few less days of electric trains running.

I agree.

ianhr

Thanks for the explanation. It would be interesting to hear some elaboration of the 'paper work' involved as we have got used to very detailed and professional reports on the engineering problems!

snowball

Established Member
According to somebody on SSC, the wiring under one bridge was not signed off after the test runs.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I did a Southport-Wigan-Bolton-Man Vic out and back today.

I will report on Wigan-Salford Central on the Blackpool-Manchester thread.

Man Vic was well worth the trip in its own right.

Throughout the recent works on the tram side the public have been corralled behind barriers between the train side and Balloon Street. That has now been opened up, the effect is simply stunning, jaw-dropping and fab.

Even with much finish still to apply the transformation is remarkable.

On the Liverpool-Manchester electrification front there is significant progress, too:

1. Most of the 'downpipes' attached by bespoke fittings to the 'latticework' between Platforms 3 and 4 now bear the sort of fittings seen under bridges, such as Rainhill's Skew bridge and Bridge Road bridge, Roby.
2. Each of the three hitherto completely bare masts between the eastern end of the platforms and the road bridge now bear two of the Austrian-built sprung tensioner units seen elsewhere on Phase 2, eg filmed and photographed at Huyton.
3. The fittings on the portal near the eastern end of Platforms 3 and 4 now also bear extra fittings underneath the autotransformer insulators. Not so on the portal which reaches from Platform 5 to 6, I imagine that is to come.
4. Over the track leading to Platform 6 the first mast west of the station now has an arm in place and the second mast appears to have an extra wire attached by webbing straps.
5. I engaged a bona-fide Network Rail Orangeman (walking briskly carrying a clipboard) in brief conversation. He gave a target date for wiring to be up and running of 'Easter'.

Photos later.

Dave

deltic08

On Moderation

Very rational

CdBrux

I don't disagree with any of that, and I am sure you have much more knowledge than I. However if this is the case then to plan to have these in service on Monday morning seems to be far too ambitious, this is what I meant. That should have been known.

snowball

Established Member
A claim on SSC that the start will be on Wednesday!

Edit: looking again I see it's by Tony H1, who's known on here as Geeves.

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
My apologies in advance if it doesn't happen, subject to all the usual disclaimers :lol::lol::lol:

Ill post anything that comes through today up on here for official confirmation.

po8crg

I'll be doing Manchester-Liverpool on Friday 13th, so it would be nice if I could do that on a 319.

Am I right that all the evening services are still diesel-hauled?

Billyblue

Just a reminder for anyone intending to take the first train that Merseytravel passes don't start until 09.30am so you'll (me too) will have to pay.
The standard return is £20.30 but a slightly cheaper way is to get a Lime Street - St Helens Junction return for £5.70 and a St Helens Junction -MIA return for £13.30. Total £19. Not much of a saving but every little helps (as they say).
Same trains just two sets of tickets!

DJH1971

Established Member
Just a reminder for anyone intending to take the first train that Merseytravel passes don't start until 09.30am so you'll (me too) will have to pay.
The standard return is £20.30 but a slightly cheaper way is to get a Lime Street - St Helens Junction return for £5.70 and a St Helens Junction -MIA return for £13.30. Total £19. Not much of a saving but every little helps (as they say).
Same trains just two sets of tickets!

Unless you go on Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holidays!

Savaways etc are valid for journeys starting before 6:31am so you could get the first train out at 6:16am. This would only get you as far as NleW and you wouldn't be able to come back for a while!

Last edited:

Established Member
Does anybody have an update on which 319s are with Northern? Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.