• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianhr

And me too. Thanks again, its been compulsive reading/viewing.

me too! I have followed the thread almost every day!

It is a pity we don't have similar coverage of GW electrification, although that seems to be mostly bad news!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw-sparks

2. On a still-to-be-snagged note I've been told that what I termed Passes 5 & 6 in last night's test runs (please see the Photos in Series 3306) exposed some work still to be done with signal LL1577, which is the one 'in the wrong direction' at Huyton. The planned shunt move didn't go smoothly, and the signal had to be passed at danger, as the signaller couldn't clear it.

Dave

Aha! I was watching the livesig diagram and noticed that. Purely by coincidence there was a failed train at Huyton on Wednesday morning and they needed the same move, and once again it didn't work.
I did see it working once, some time ago, and long time users of livesig may remember that the berth and signal were missing from the diagram until I'd observed them in use.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I really appreciate the kind remarks people have made, thank you.

Today I called at Roby on my way back from a bonus Grandadding trip, I've added three shots as a result.

I have also replaced the three films I took on Monday which appeared in Series 3302 with a composite of the three, minus rubbish. This shows as 3302i. the credit for this superb editing goes to 'AM9' who so cheerfully gave of his time and skill. Thank you.

As always, the Combined Volume is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

Class 170101

Established Member
Surprised that despite the testing and a nationwide DMU shortage that EMUs won't be used in regular service between Warrington Bank Quay and Liverpool Lime Street. :cry:

Class377/5

Established Member
Surprised that despite the testing and a nationwide DMU shortage that EMUs won't be used in regular service between Warrington Bank Quay and Liverpool Lime Street. :cry:

Initially no, but plan is to use electric units this year.

deltic08

On Moderation

Not enough 319s up here yet to convert over all wired routes as they are energised. That is synchronised forward planning for you at the DfT. Couldn't organise a party in a brewery.

On the other hand we should be thankful that 319s are being refreshed before entering service. Is it one unit being completed every two weeks?

deltic08

On Moderation
Five sets of 319's outside in the sun at Allerton this morning, all in Northern livery.

Welcome to the Forum johnmoly. It can be a bit of a cock fight at times but well worth joining. I hope you have followed the excitement of this week with energisation of the Earlestown-Edge Hill line?

LDECRexile

Established Member
I'm delighted that Bill from Huyton has followed his film of a 319 belting through Huyton the other evening with a load of photos he took at Roby, Huyton and Huyton Quarry from March to July 2014.

I have added 47 of them to Bill's album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648707438634/

I have also added them to the Combined Volume in their correct chronological places. That means you may find them easier to find in Bill's album, where they constitute 47 out of 48 items, rather than hunting for them than spread among the 2000 plus items in the CV. The photos' numbers are the same in both albums.

The Combined Volume is here:

Thank you Bill
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Paul Gaskell and I went for a half day road tour of the Wigan Branch north of St Helens earlier today.

The good news is that wires are now attached to Carr Mill Viaduct's masts by permanent metalwork, with the exception of one wire to the more southerly mast using the sort of purple temporary strap and pulley we have seen so often.

It is impossible to get nearer than telephoto and binoculars range of Springs Branch Junction. But using that equipment plus Mk 1 eyeballs we could see that most if not all wires are up to within a mast or two of the junction, but there are no wires joining the last few yards to the WCML.

Elsewhere, eg near the Haresfinch estate in northern St Helens there is a light sprinkling of purple strapping fixings here and there. Most of the branch seems to be fully wired.

There were a heck of a lot of Orangemen near the Ince Moss Chord, but they appeared to be using the car park as a rendezvous and lunch break area. We spoke to one near Taylors Lane, who said he and his colleagues were 'de-veging'.

We wondered if this meant removing the lettuce from their sandwiches, but decided it meant cutting down trees.

Photos later
I was delighted that Paul and I went on a joint jaunt.

I have put Paul's photos in his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157649792560381/

and both our shots in the Combined Volume here:

Thank you Paul.

Last edited:

Billyblue

I'm delighted that Bill from Huyton has followed his film of a 319 belting through Huyton the other evening with a load of photos he took at Roby, Huyton and Huyton Quarry from March to July 2014.

I have also added them to the Combined Volume in their correct chronological places. That means you may find them easier to find in Bill's album, where they constitute 47 out of 48 items, rather than hunting for them than spread among the 2000 plus items in the CV. The photos' numbers are the same in both albums.

Thank you Bill
Paul Gaskell and I went for a half day road tour of the Wigan Branch north of St Helens earlier today.

The good news is that wires are now attached to Carr Mill Viaduct's masts by permanent metalwork, with the exception of one wire to the more southerly mast using the sort of purple temporary strap and pulley we have seen so often.

It is impossible to get nearer than telephoto and binoculars range of Springs Branch Junction. But using that equipment plus Mk 1 eyeballs we could see that most if not all wires are up to within a mast or two of the junction, but there are no wires joining the last few yards to the WCML.

Elsewhere, eg near the Haresfinch estate in northern St Helens there is a light sprinkling of purple strapping fixings here and there. Most of the branch seems to be fully wired.

There were a heck of a lot of Orangemen near the Ince Moss Chord, but they appeared to be using the car park as a rendezvous and lunch break area. We spoke to one near Taylors Lane, who said he and his colleagues were 'de-veging'.

We wondered if this meant removing the lettuce from their sandwiches, but decided it meant cutting down trees.

Photos later

Thank you Paul.

Dave,
Thanks for the time and effort taken into sorting all those photos into some sort of order.
In answer to your question... " Are you sure?" on 0898e Huyton. Yes!
Regards,
Bill

LDECRexile

Established Member
Dave,
Thanks for the time and effort taken into sorting all those photos into some sort of order.
In answer to your question... " Are you sure?" on 0898e Huyton. Yes!
Regards,
Bill

My text was over-hasty and too cryptic. I've tweaked it now so it might make more sense.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Dave

Billyblue

My text was over-hasty and too cryptic. I've tweaked it now so it might make more sense.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Dave

I've only just realised that "Are you sure?" was meant to convey passenger confusion over Liverpool bound trains using Platform 2, as well as Platform 1.
I read it as asking if I was sure it was the first day after the July blockade.
Sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake, Dave lol :)
Bill

AM9

Veteran Member

Until their

Thank you Bill

Photos later

Thank you Paul.

Great pics Dave. The view in 3322l is interesting. It shows the compact isolator section that was introduced in the '60s. The originals had composite insulator sections of contact wire (the bits between the pairs of vertical sticks). These insulators were alternate beads of PTFE and glass that prevented water running along the surface. I wonder what their construction is now. It seems that they are supported by glass fibre bars.
They were designed to allow use on lines up to 100mph. Previous designs either occupied upwards of 200m with up to 60m dead zone (looking like double wire-end transitions) or there were short sections where several heavy metal framed insulators were used and limited speeds to below 60mph. These slower types are now sometimes used on crossovers.

steverailer

Great pics Dave. The view in 3322l is interesting. It shows the compact isolator section that was introduced in the '60s. The originals had composite insulator sections of contact wire (the bits between the pairs of vertical sticks). These insulators were alternate beads of PTFE and glass that prevented water running along the surface. I wonder what their construction is now. It seems that they are supported by glass fibre bars.
They were designed to allow use on lines up to 100mph. Previous designs either occupied upwards of 200m with up to 60m dead zone (looking like double wire-end transitions) or there were short sections where several heavy metal framed insulators were used and limited speeds to below 60mph. These slower types are now sometimes used on crossovers.

AM9, that is the new type F&F neutral section.

The insulator rods are fibreglass with a PTFE coating, usually 4 joined together for the contact wire, and 2 with a section of earthed catenary inbetween for the catenary wire. The contact is supported from the catenary by sprung tension bars, these are adjusted on instalation to a preset mark on the inner tube. All in all a very simple and easy system to install and alot can be pre assembled prior to track access. The system is very easily changed and adjusted for the different types of catenary. Have installed them into bot AWAC and copper system with the same ease

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member

I would expect NR need a possession and isolation of the WCML as well as a possession of the Wigan to Huyton route to finish off.

Does anyone know if there are any major possessions of the WCML coming up shortly in this area?

steverailer

I would expect NR need a possession and isolation of the WCML as well as a possession of the Wigan to Huyton route to finish off.

Does anyone know if there are any major possessions of the WCML coming up shortly in this area?

Doesn't need any major possesions to connect to the WCML, can and usually be done on a normal Saturday night possession. I would suspect that all that is needed is the actual crossovers wired probably around 200m or so of wiring.

What usually happens is the branch line is under posession first (prob an hour or 2 before the WCML) allowing staff and machines to get into place at the marker boards just before the WCML, then once the WCML is taken and isolated they can get straight on with the work

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Doesn't need any major possesions to connect to the WCML, can and usually be done on a normal Saturday night possession. I would suspect that all that is needed is the actual crossovers wired probably around 200m or so of wiring.

What usually happens is the branch line is under posession first (prob an hour or 2 before the WCML) allowing staff and machines to get into place at the marker boards just before the WCML, then once the WCML is taken and isolated they can get straight on with the work

That seems like a very sensible approach and good common sense. :D

Thomas6187

The 319s will not be out in passenger service Monday, as I believe the ORR haven't signed off on them being used yet. It's looking like it will be later in the week before there are out.

Last edited:

8A Rail

Established Member
Does it matter when they start this week or whatever soon, as they be operating everyday of the year and then you can pick whatever train you wish to travel on, as one Class 319/3 will be the same as the next one! The first journey wont be much different to the second, third and so on journey. Sorry I just don't get the fuss about when they start - Class 319's (albeit ECS) have already operated on the line so it is now history. Sorry members.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Does it matter when they start this week or whatever soon, as they be operating everyday of the year and then you can pick whatever train you wish to travel on, as one Class 319/3 will be the same as the next one! The first journey wont be much different to the second, third and so on journey. Sorry I just don't get the fuss about when they start - Class 319's (albeit ECS) have already operated on the line so it is now history. Sorry members.

Clearly you don't have the same passion for the railway some of us have...:roll:

Regardless of the 319s running everyday services soon, some of us have been looking forward to the change of the guard, with regards to motive power on Liverpool to Manchester (and soon enough Liverpool to Wigan) services, for some time now. Quite, we were expecting the 319s to begin running out of Liverpool at the December 2014 timetable change originally, then January, then February and now we're finally getting them in March 2015. It's taken ages, but it's finally coming! :D

It's not JUST about the 319s, it's about the eventual arrival of modernisation of the North West's railway network, which I'm sure you must agree is long overdue. Of course, we now need to see such changes in the North East too, another area whose railway is in rather serious need of bringing into the 21st century, but let's not go there. It's also about how the arrival of the 319s will release badly needed 156s for use elsewhere, it's about the launch of services over Todmorden Curve finally beginning soon as a result. The 'sparks effect' will be kicking in now too, with more passengers coming to the railway as a result of more modern trains, which no-one can deny is good news.

Of course, it's also about the enjoyment factor too! I love the 150s and 156s, but I also love the noise 319s make on AC power. Get the motors on a nice and fast stretch (which the Liverpool to Manchester Airport services will certainly provide plenty of) and hear them singing away <D

So yeah, we've got good reason to be excited about the 319s' imminent start on passenger services out of Liverpool!

Status
Not open for further replies.