• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester - Liverpool Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
I liked "punnet of cherrypickers".

Surprising that they seem to be preparing to raise the height of some of the redundant half-piers at Carr Mill with new concrete, rather than just attaching new steelwork on top of the brick.

LDECRexile

Established Member
They look fine. Great pics.
Nice to see the old sawn-off masts in the cess. Makes the view a lot tidier.
I see there's a TTC on the southern platform at St Helens Jn (east end).
I wonder why they dug a big hole on the northern platform and didn't use it!

Thank you for your kind remarks.

Not only did they dig a geat big 'ole, they also put a thundering great base in it.

The Orangemen I talked to didn't know why they were on Plan B, only that they were.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I liked "punnet of cherrypickers".

Surprising that they seem to be preparing to raise the height of some of the redundant half-piers at Carr Mill with new concrete, rather than just attaching new steelwork on top of the brick.

I'm glad you liked the little play on words.

Once again, the Orangemen I talked to didn't question it, they were just getting on with it. My guess (stress guess) is that designers trust the exisiting half piers for vertical stress, that was what they were built for, but don't for twisting stress, so they play safe. 18 cu m of reinforced concrete will take some twisting.

Last edited:

Dixie

In photo 1553 you can see clearly what I was wittering on about in post 2971, that there are what appear to be new registration arms and fittings on all the old masts on the left hand most electrified line. They are quite a different colour from the originals on the right. However, they are more akin in style to the old mark 1 fittings rather than what is currently being fitted.

Class 170101

Established Member
6. Sankey Viaduct: I was told that the team working on Carr Mill have been stood down from Sankey Viaduct because the Chat Moss line cannot be closed overnight for two weeks to allow rolling stock to be exchanged between the western and eastern sides of the country over several nights.

It may be Saturday before I get chance to update photos and spreadsheet.

Rolling stock being transferred? Any idea what this is all about?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Rolling stock being transferred? Any idea what this is all about?

Especially when they can use the CLC route.
Maybe it's about the W10 clearance for container trains, as they have no alternative route.
On the other hand they survived the 9-day Huyton blockade in the summer.

tomneedham85

Foundation works to Sankey will be carried out tonight using RRV's. They will then have to wait until next Saturday when possessions resume on the DSE lines .

LDECRexile

Established Member
The sun was out, my wife is visiting her daughter, so today I took a trip from Lime St along the Wigan Branch and out to Earlestown and back.

1. Wiring in the Old/New interleaving at Wavertree is still as confusing from the train as from the two overbridges. I couldn't see anything at all to suggest Tuebrook Sidings are to be electrified.

2. I counted 22 masts and 9 mastless bases between the limit of wiring east of Broad Green (which is some distance west of Roby Junction) and Bridge Road bridge, Roby. Four of the mastless bases are the very large, cast in shuttering type described and photographed before. I counted each portal complete with crossbar as 2 masts.

3. I counted 15 masts and 10 mastless bases between Bridge Road bridge and the west end of Huyton Station (inclusive.) I may have missed some on the north side as the guard checked my ticket with admirable promptness after leaving Huyton. Two of the mastless bases were of the whopping cast type.

4. I counted 7 masts and 8 mastless bases (all cyliindrical) from Huyton station to Huyton Junction.

5. I couldn't see any gaps or scrapes, so I reckon there's a fighting chance all bases are in place between Broad Green and Huyton Junction inclusive. Allowing for errors in the above it looks like we're past the half way mark in the Roby Junction to Huyton Junction stretch, in terms of metalwork; no wires in sight yet, of course.

6. I could only see four mastless bases between Huyton Junction and Prescot, two on the east side of the tracks between Huyton Junction and the M57 and two on the bridge itself.

7. For some time a full set of wires have been up from a distance south of Prescot to north of Eccleston Park, with a goodly but incomplete number through the canyon to the juction for Ravenhead sidings. I reckon this latter incomplete set is now complete, including the canyon and Scholes Tunnel.

8. There are no wires on the east side of the tracks from the Ravenhead siding to the northern end of Carr Mill Viaduct. There are no wires on the west side of the tracks from the a few hundred yards north of the Ravenhead siding to the northern end of Carr Mill Viaduct. This has been so for months, but the heartening difference is that I could only see one mastless base over that whole stretch. This offender is on the east side about two thirds of the way between Gerards Bridge Junction and Laffak Road. It has metalwork lying next to it ready to erect, so maybe soon.... St Helens Central appears to have a full set of masts with arms, but no dangly bits. The unusual square base tucked in on the west side by the bridge just south of the station has a mast, as do the other stragglers north of the station, except for the one recalcitrant stated above.

9. The shuttering on top of Pier 1 at Carr Mill Viaduct looks as impressive from above as it does from below.

10. The one-on-each-side wiring over the M6 bridge described and photographed recently extends south to the northern limit of full wiring from Carr Mill, which has been a short distance north of Garswood for some time. This means there is at least one wire in the air on both sides of the tracks from Carr Mill Viaduct to Ince Moss Junction.

11. I am well flummoxed by the M6 bridge, however, as the western portal appeared to have been removed. I hope someone is going to tell me I've been seeing things (or not seeing things, more like.)

12. All masts on the branch north of Carr Mill are in place (except for my M6 brainstorm) but there are four mastless bases on the west of the WCML immediately north of Springs Branch Junction, which I surmise must be to do with 'our' electrification. More puzzling is the complete lack of the sort of convoluted interleaving we see at Wavertree and Earlestown east. Either the join at Springs Branch is a lot easier than those two or there's a lot to do.

13. All work on Bryn station seems to be complete. There was no evidence of Orangemen or their clobber at all. I am a bit surprised that with all the rebuilding that took place the ramps weren't made wheelchair/pushchair friendly. To my lay eyes there seems to be plenty of room on both sides to wind paths gently down, as at Huyton.

14. In all, a lot of consolidation and gap plugging has gone on on the Wigan Branch.

15. On Chat Moss east of Huyton Junction the only changes I could see was more metalwork up at Earlestown, including a portal immediately east of Junction Lane bridge and, I hardly dare say it, the lone mastless base at Huyton Quarry appears to have had a mast plonked on top, but then I've said that before....

16. A couple of weeks ago I reported that I thought all eight 'bites' had been taken out of Sankey Viaduct's parapets. I was wrong, the most easterly pair (Column 10) haven't been bitten off yet, maybe they will be tonight.....

I took a few photos. I'll add some and the updated spreadsheet this evening.

Last edited:

Billyblue

Thanks for another great set of photos, LDECRexile.

In answer to your query on photo 1580 Huyton re the car park.

Your photo shows the car park used by the contactors working at Huyton and Roby. It's just at the entrance to TJ (?) Mays Haulage yard, and garage, which runs parallel to platform 1 from its western end.
The station car park is immediately next to the western end of the station building.(and, as you probably know, is very small).

Just a comment on the recently completed work around the entrance to Huyton Station. As you come down the steps to exit the station (by the telephone box) the slope (at the bottom of the steps) has been surfaced part in stone sets and part in tarmac. I think it looks quite odd!

childwallblues

Established Member
Perhaps the rolling stock transfers involve Newton Heath, which doesn't have easy access to the CLC? Speculation: are they reshuffling units from Allerton so that depot can concentrate more on electrics?

There has been no indication at present that the 28 x Class 156 will move from Allerton on the arrival of the 319s.
I will try to find out more.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There has been no indication at present that the 28 x Class 156 will move from Allerton on the arrival of the 319s.
I will try to find out more.

Reading between the lines, I think it is just that some of the remaining electrification work requires longer possessions than the usual night shift.
So NR has to negotiate one or more extended possessions with the TOCs.
Probably nothing to do with stock movements.

8A Rail

Established Member
Perhaps the rolling stock transfers involve Newton Heath, which doesn't have easy access to the CLC? Speculation: are they reshuffling units from Allerton so that depot can concentrate more on electrics?
Allerton TMD will become the main base for the Class 319's that is for sure but when it actually takes place, really depends on when the "electrification" is fully completed and operating. Also long with receiving the necessary Class 319 units and driver / guard training too. However, the depot will still be dealing with Class 156 units in the meantime and will do afterwards due to the nearby CLC route but obviously not to the same extent as present.

AE

I've just been for a walk to the footbridge near the M6 and I can confirm that there is only one portal erected on the M6 bridge. The metal work for the western portal appears to be lying by the tracks on the western side of the M6.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Thanks for another great set of photos, LDECRexile.

In answer to your query on photo 1580 Huyton re the car park.

Your photo shows the car park used by the contactors working at Huyton and Roby. It's just at the entrance to TJ (?) Mays Haulage yard, and garage, which runs parallel to platform 1 from its western end.
The station car park is immediately next to the western end of the station building.(and, as you probably know, is very small).

Just a comment on the recently completed work around the entrance to Huyton Station. As you come down the steps to exit the station (by the telephone box) the slope (at the bottom of the steps) has been surfaced part in stone sets and part in tarmac. I think it looks quite odd!

Thank you for your kind comment and interesting info.

I've only ever been to Huyton Station by car twice and parked by the Bingo, I had just assumed that's what people do. I'm still flummoxed, therefore, what the gate leads to off Platform 1 and what the "footpath which probably isn't" is between that gate and the western end of Platform 1.

I'll keep an eye out for the setts and tarmac, I hadn't noticed them, unless you mean the decorative blocks in photos 1418, 1092 and 1090? Aesthetics aren't my strong suit, but I certainly take my hat off to the chap who laid them. I doubt he decided to put them there.
I've just been for a walk to the footbridge near the M6 and I can confirm that there is only one portal erected on the M6 bridge. The metal work for the western portal appears to be lying by the tracks on the western side of the M6.

1. Thank you, I may be losing my marbles, but not on this count.

2. Photos 1478, 1477, 1474, 1468 and 1466 show two pairs very clearly, you can even see and nearly read the HG nn nn attachment. I wonder what on earth has happened.

I realise I missed something off yesterday's summary: Lea Green station is undergoing a paint job.

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member

Billyblue

Thank you for your kind comment and interesting info.

I've only ever been to Huyton Station by car twice and parked by the Bingo, I had just assumed that's what people do. I'm still flummoxed, therefore, what the gate leads to off Platform 1 and what the "footpath which probably isn't" is between that gate and the western end of Platform 1.

I'll keep an eye out for the setts and tarmac, I hadn't noticed them, unless you mean the decorative blocks in photos 1418, 1092 and 1090? Aesthetics aren't my strong suit, but I certainly take my hat off to the chap who laid them. I doubt he decided to put them there.

1. Thank you, I may be losing my marbles, but not on this count.

2. Photos 1478, 1477, 1474, 1468 and 1466 show two pairs very clearly, you can even see and nearly read the HG nn nn attachment. I wonder what on earth has happened.

I realise I missed something off yesterday's summary: Lea Green station is undergoing a paint job.

Yes, that's them in photo 1418. I think it makes it look as if they ran out of stone sets. The entrance to the station car park is between the pub and the station and is alongside platform one. It only holds about 10 cars, at a push. There's a locked gate to the platform but car drivers enter the station like everyone else. The car park shown in your photo is accessed between the other side of the pub and the hairdressers. This car park is private and was created for the orangemen etc. It's before my time but I suspect it was the old coal yard. Just behing the pub is a small office building which used to belong to the NCB. Most station uses appear to walk or get dropped off.

Geeves

Established Member
Another quick one from me. The OHLE sighting issues on the western approaches to Vic look to have been solved. Instead of the usual metal portals infront of the signals there are now headspan wires.

Another problem fixed!

LDECRexile

Established Member
Another quick one from me. The OHLE sighting issues on the western approaches to Vic look to have been solved. Instead of the usual metal portals infront of the signals there are now headspan wires.

Another problem fixed!

Fab! I wonder if that will reduce the delayed start?

I watched and photographed an Orange Platoon pump concrete into the base on Carr Mill Viaduct's Pier 1 this afternoon. Impressive teamwork, skills and kit were on show.

Am out this evening so photos will follow late or tomorrow.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Attachments went up last night on the roof supports over platform 3 and 4 at Manchester Vic.
Puts to bed the thoughts that the roof would have to be altered to fit the wires!
Another quick one from me. The OHLE sighting issues on the western approaches to Vic look to have been solved.
Instead of the usual metal portals infront of the signals there are now headspan wires.

Yes, I noticed all that today. Headspan wiring is on one, possibly two mast pairs.
I was quite wrong last week to think that registration arms had appeared at the NE corner of Victoria.
There is nothing there at all, must have been a trick of the light.

I watched and photographed an Orange Platoon pump concrete into the base on Carr Mill Viaduct's Pier 1 this afternoon. Impressive teamwork, skills and kit were on show.

Yes, you could see them at work from the train today.
The western portal over the M6 is definitely missing, with the return wires sagging over the empty mast site. Very odd.
There might be another case of a missing mast at Roby station.
I'm sure I saw two on the island platform last week, but today there's only one - the one nearest the bridge.
Apart from that the mast situation seems unchanged between Roby Jn and Huyton Jn at about 16 still to do.
Still lots of steelwork to go up there.

Orangemen were welding the fence panels back alongside the Bold Colliery site, where they had to remove them to install the masts.
They were also finishing off the brickwork round the masts on St Helens Central P2.
Still 7 gaps in the Sankey Viaduct, not the one at the NW corner (unless it has been done and put back).
More steelwork (portals) up either side of Earlestown, but nothing yet on the main platforms.
The Rainhill platform masts are still devoid of fittings.
A very short stretch of return wiring is up just south of Gerards Bridge Jn (west side) - about 3 mast lengths.
Otherwise, I didn't notice any new wiring.

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
The western portal over the M6 is definitely missing, with the return wires sagging over the empty mast site. Very odd.

There might be another case of a missing mast at Roby station.
I'm sure I saw two on the island platform last week, but today there's only one - the one nearest the bridge.

Still 7 gaps in the Sankey Viaduct, not the one at the NW corner (unless it has been done and put back).

A very short stretch of return wiring is up just south of Gerards Bridge Jn (west side) - about 3 mast lengths.

M6 bridge's western portal is decidedly rum.

Ditto Roby, Photos 1585, 4 & 3 confirm that you aren't going batty, the mid-platform mast was there last week.

Anyone in the know know what's what?

The short stretch south of Gerards Bridge Junction is welcome news. I've noticed several times over the project that a short stretch - typically three or four masts-worth - is sometimes sidewired then left for a while, another current example is on the Wigan Branch between Huyton Junction and the M57 bridge. Another one, recently joined up in both directions, was just west of the footbridge just west of the M6 bridge. Does anyone know why this is done?

The Tooth Fairy has not visited Sankey Viaduct yet, the eight tooth hasn't been extracted.
I've added 15 photos from yesterday here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/sets/72157648494725811/

I'll add the larger set from Carr Mill Viaduct later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.