• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrocar updates and withdrawals - Tyne & Wear Metro

bramling

Veteran Member
Not been on here for a while.
I was on the Metro last night. It was dirty, noisy, and a real bone shaker.
So does enyone know how many new trains are complete/delivered/in the building stage?
The current fleet are on their last legs/wheels!
If the new fleet are not introduced to service soon I can see Metro having to take a break!!

The service has certainly been a shambles today. This was this morning being blamed on “the system being very busy today”, and more latterly due to “anti social behaviour”. Gaps all over the show, in many cases over 30 minutes when the service is supposed to be every 12, and as always seemingly little attempt to make good.

One can only conject how things will go for the GNR tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not been on here for a while.
I was on the Metro last night. It was dirty, noisy, and a real bone shaker.
So does enyone know how many new trains are complete/delivered/in the building stage?
The current fleet are on their last legs/wheels!
If the new fleet are not introduced to service soon I can see Metro having to take a break!!
There’s a separate thread about the new fleet introduction, it suggests 3 units are in the country and have been doin various testing and gauging checks :

Last edited:

DanNCL

Established Member
List updated with the recent returns to service.

Makes me doubt even more 4001 will be preserved, save money by cleaning it and no doubt apply a new vinyl wrap onto it and just send it for scrap instead.
Its future is secure. Not impossible that there could be a dispute over who pays to put it back in a presentable condition but its future is secure.

At least 7 are complete. 3 have been delivered, 2 are at the Velim test centre, and at least 2 are complete at the Stadler site in St Margrethen, likely more by now.

The service has certainly been a shambles today. This was this morning being blamed on “the system being very busy today”, and more latterly due to “anti social behaviour”. Gaps all over the show, in many cases over 30 minutes when the service is supposed to be every 12, and as always seemingly little attempt to make good.

The response to yesterdays issues was appalling, sadly can't say surprising though.

We're barely a few hours in to the day, there's already been one in service failure on the core, and the rush from South Shields hasn't even started yet.

Maninblack

List updated with the recent returns to service.

Its future is secure. Not impossible that there could be a dispute over who pays to put it back in a presentable condition but its future is secure.

At least 7 are complete. 3 have been delivered, 2 are at the Velim test centre, and at least 2 are complete at the Stadler site in St Margrethen, likely more by now.

The response to yesterdays issues was appalling, sadly can't say surprising though.

We're barely a few hours in to the day, there's already been one in service failure on the core, and the rush from South Shields hasn't even started yet.
Only 7 complete???!!!! Metro is on course to fail completely by what I read on here! I thought at least 25 would have been complete by now!
If Metro have only 56 available cars to cover the service I fear there will be a big crisis!

DanNCL

Established Member
Unsurprisingly the Great North Run service has gone tits up, with South Shields to Bede now closed. The queue at South Shields is not taking any new passengers.
Nexus are incredibly lucky there’s been a heavy downpour, simply as it may have saved them the embarrassment of the fleet making the service fall apart.

Only 7 complete???!!!! Metro is on course to fail completely by what I read on here! I thought at least 25 would have been complete by now!
If Metro have only 56 available cars to cover the service I fear there will be a big crisis!
Only 6 have been reported to have been seen, we know a 7th is complete as it was mentioned in a Joint Transport Committee meeting a few months ago. There could be (and by now likely are) more complete. It was nearly 6 months ago now that the last reported sighting
Unlike some other new fleets in the UK, and unlike the old fleet, it seems that the new Metro fleet is being built in numerical order.

Megafuss

Well, they've stopped posting the fun tweets of everybody having a good time...

bramling

Veteran Member
Unsurprisingly the Great North Run service has gone tits up, with South Shields to Bede now closed. The queue at South Shields is not taking any new passengers.
Nexus are incredibly lucky there’s been a heavy downpour, simply as it may have saved them the embarrassment of the fleet making the service fall apart.

Oops! To be fair, looking at the rain radar it does look like a pretty significant amount of rain fell in a short space of time.

Maninblack

Only 6 have been reported to have been seen, we know a 7th is complete as it was mentioned in a Joint Transport Committee meeting a few months ago. There could be (and by now likely are) more complete. It was nearly 6 months ago now that the last reported sighting
Unlike some other new fleets in the UK, and unlike the old fleet, it seems that the new Metro fleet is being built in numerical order.

Oops! To be fair, looking at the rain radar it does look like a pretty significant amount of rain fell in a short space of time.
Yes. floods in Sunderland too! That rain was extremely heavy.

DanNCL

Established Member
It has, there’s been a lot of flash flooding. Heaviest rain I’ve seen here quite possibly since Storm Arwen.

Paul_10

You say unsurprisingly but usually these events are the ones Nexus are decent at, you can't control the weather and unfortunately Tyne Dock tunnel(which is where I'm assuming the flood is) is always prone to flooding because of the embankment and the downward movement if your heading from Tyne Dock station to the tunnel.

Does seem more concerning the "new" South Shields station has had issues from the downpour it would seem.

too bring it a bit more on topic, any updates if any more units have gone into store or are longer term out of use? I havant seen 4063 on my visits for a while and it was on the avoiding line for a bit but is no longer there now.

I do also wonder what the residents must be thinking having graffitied metrocars to look at if they want to spend time in their back gardens for example, for non enthusiasts it's probably a sight they could do without seeing for months.

DanNCL

Established Member
You say unsurprisingly but usually these events are the ones Nexus are decent at, you can't control the weather and unfortunately Tyne Dock tunnel(which is where I'm assuming the flood is) is always prone to flooding because of the embankment and the downward movement if your heading from Tyne Dock station to the tunnel.
I say unsurprisingly as the chances of today going to plan with the state of the fleet was very low. The flooding potentially saved Nexus from the embarrassment of having a train fail (like one did at Felling this morning) and having to suspend services for that instead. The general public are a bit more forgiving when its not something that's perceived as Nexus' fault.

Bayum

Established Member
I was volunteering in a medical capacity and the weather this afternoon was atrocious. I would say close to hurricane like downpours. It was something to see! We had two or three extremely heavy downpours within a four hour period Anne with the weather that we have just had there was absolutely no way that that rain was going to do anything else, but flood.

SeanG

I say unsurprisingly as the chances of today going to plan with the state of the fleet was very low. The flooding potentially saved Nexus from the embarrassment of having a train fail (like one did at Felling this morning) and having to suspend services for that instead. The general public are a bit more forgiving when its not something that's perceived as Nexus' fault.
Was on the train at fellgate this morning. As expected it was full and standing to capacity and it was very hot. Did a few backwards and forwards into and out of fellgate station for about 20 mins. We had 2 people pull the passcom which didn't help things. We jumped off when we arrived at fellgate for the third time and the doors opened, as we weren't running but accompanying a friend (the friend carried on). However the whole thing took about 30 mins and caused large delays

Paul_10

Was on the train at fellgate this morning. As expected it was full and standing to capacity and it was very hot. Did a few backwards and forwards into and out of fellgate station for about 20 mins. We had 2 people pull the passcom which didn't help things. We jumped off when we arrived at fellgate for the third time and the doors opened, as we weren't running but accompanying a friend (the friend carried on). However the whole thing took about 30 mins and caused large delays

Just looked on RTT and there's no trains that were at least 20 mins late on there. I just find your event odd as I'm not sure a train is allowed to go "backwards" with passengers on in anycase.

Whilst I know not every incident is reported on twitter however the only report on there was the issue at Felling and from the looks of that, the train was delayed by around 10 to 15 mins?

Either way looks like it was a difficult day for the staff involved but at least it was external circumstances. Should be a bit embarrassing the bus station got flooded though, does anyone know whether it was water coming through the roof or from ground level?

SeanG

Just looked on RTT and there's no trains that were at least 20 mins late on there. I just find your event odd as I'm not sure a train is allowed to go "backwards" with passengers on in anycase.

Whilst I know not every incident is reported on twitter however the only report on there was the issue at Felling and from the looks of that, the train was delayed by around 10 to 15 mins?

Either way looks like it was a difficult day for the staff involved but at least it was external circumstances. Should be a bit embarrassing the bus station got flooded though, does anyone know whether it was water coming through the roof or from ground level?
We called at felling then pulled away as normal. Then instantly the magnetic brake came on. Waited for a couple of minutes and then the driver announced that we would have to set back into felling. After swapping ends (still in the platform) we set back to behind the previous signal. The driver then proceeded through the train to the front to pull into fellgate station again. However when we set off we stopped straight away as someone pulled the passcom. After it was reset we pulled into fellgate station and then went to pull away forward again. However the same happened. So we had to set back again and when we started to set back the passcom was pulled again. (I don't condone it but can understand why, it was very hot and humid with condensation dripping from the ceiling). That was reset and we set back to behind the signal preceding fellgate again. Then after the driver swapped ends this time via the track we pulled into fellgate and the doors were released again.
As I stated above we decided to get off and head back east as we didn't *need* to go into the city centre. The train then after a few minutes closed doors and headed into the city centre.

Regarding South Shields bus station, it was flooding from off the pavement (as it's slightly at the bottom of the slope) and was coming down the stairs a bit too but not massively.

To nexus' credit it was sorted and this is an unprecedented event at the worst possible time

TWM Fan

Saw 4048 today at Pelaw taken out of service missing a window, somebody has probably got mad due to todays terrible service and smashed it out. I assume it may be stored or repaired, it's worth noting under attention.

Attachments

• broken.jpg
    broken.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 51

londonbridge

Established Member

Well, yesterday afternoon I watched the South Shields home game, went back to Bede to get a train back to the town centre, whilst waiting a St James train came in on the other platform, set off, about five minutes later it came reversing back into the platform and sat there for a couple of minutes before setting off again.

I’m assuming the unit that was withdrawn this morning was the one that was cancelled shortly before I arrived at Whitley Bay? Was crossing over to the South Gosforth platform and people were coming the other way saying “this side, they’ve just cancelled one”, so we took the St James train and walked up to the start from Monument instead of Haymarket, as I normally would. Mentioned it to a friend and she joked that I was about to run a half marathon and was complaining about a few extra steps…..

After the run by the time I’d eaten whilst waiting for the queues to die down I then waited for the rain to stop/lighten, found out metro was off, walked down and got in the ferry queue at 5.00pm, boarded a ferry at 7:30, much of the queuing time was spent in the rain after it started up again.

ModernRailways

Established Member
We called at felling then pulled away as normal. Then instantly the magnetic brake came on. Waited for a couple of minutes and then the driver announced that we would have to set back into felling. After swapping ends (still in the platform) we set back to behind the previous signal. The driver then proceeded through the train to the front to pull into fellgate station again. However when we set off we stopped straight away as someone pulled the passcom. After it was reset we pulled into fellgate station and then went to pull away forward again. However the same happened. So we had to set back again and when we started to set back the passcom was pulled again. (I don't condone it but can understand why, it was very hot and humid with condensation dripping from the ceiling). That was reset and we set back to behind the signal preceding fellgate again. Then after the driver swapped ends this time via the track we pulled into fellgate and the doors were released again.
As I stated above we decided to get off and head back east as we didn't *need* to go into the city centre. The train then after a few minutes closed doors and headed into the city centre.

Regarding South Shields bus station, it was flooding from off the pavement (as it's slightly at the bottom of the slope) and was coming down the stairs a bit too but not massively.

To nexus' credit it was sorted and this is an unprecedented event at the worst possible time
Not sure whats happening here, but you seem to be getting Felling and Fellgate muddled up. This incident happened at Felling, for anyone reading this post any mention of Fellgate is meant to be Felling. Felling will not display on Realtimetrains or track maps as its Nexus infrastructure.

Tramfan

Saw 4048 today at Pelaw taken out of service missing a window, somebody has probably got mad due to todays terrible service and smashed it out. I assume it may be stored or repaired, it's worth noting under attention

It'll have been repaired overnight and is probably out running today I'm sure, doesn't take them long to refit a new window

SeanG

Not sure whats happening here, but you seem to be getting Felling and Fellgate muddled up. This incident happened at Felling, for anyone reading this post any mention of Fellgate is meant to be Felling. Felling will not display on Realtimetrains or track maps as its Nexus infrastructure.
Apologies for the confusion - this was absolutely at Felling - it was a long day yesterday

Paul_10

Fair enough, so basically unless it was a train fault and no one was really pressing the passcom/emergency brake buttons then it's basically the passengers fault for causing all that inconvience. Surely if someone was ill, they would of asked to leave the train as soon as you headed back into Felling in the first place. All sounds farcical though

ModernRailways

Established Member
Fair enough, so basically unless it was a train fault and no one was really pressing the passcom/emergency brake buttons then it's basically the passengers fault for causing all that inconvience. Surely if someone was ill, they would have asked to leave the train as soon as you headed back into Felling in the first place. All sounds farcical though
From what I know, and obviously I wasn’t there, there was a unit fault which required the driver to switch ends so they could carry out dispatch safely, the PEB was operated likely due to the conditions on board. The fault then reoccurred so driver has to step back into platform so they can again dispatch safely. Felling is always quite a difficult station for dispatch because of the mirror positions, and the sun hitting the mirrors too. The new fleet will hopefully stop this from being too big of a significant issue as they’ll all be done using camera, but the camera quality isn’t exactly 4k in all weather conditions

Paul_10

Thanks for clarification on the issue. I do apologise to SeanG for my initial skeptism. The whole situation did seem a bit of a farce though and can't of been fun for those on board of all days.

To bring it back on topic, has any further units been stored/withdrawn for good?

Tramfan

Thanks for clarification on the issue. I do apologise to SeanG for my initial skeptism. The whole situation did seem a bit of a farce though and can't of been fun for those on board of all days.

To bring it back on topic, has any further units been stored/withdrawn for good?
4059 and 4063 have been missing for a while, think all others listed as operational have been around over the last week or so

SeanG

No problems - I had caused initial confusion with misnaming the station!!!

ModernRailways

Established Member

Tyne and Wear Metro warns of 'difficult winter' with old trains​

Metro passengers have been braced for a "difficult winter" amid further problems with the aging fleet.
Five trains were out of service on Thursday after developing faults.
Operator Nexus said because they were more than 40 years old some parts could no longer be bought and were being refurbished inhouse at its depot.
It said there was a plan to "beef up" maintenance regimes so the system could keep running during the colder weather, before new trains arrive in 2024.
Nexus is due to replace its stock with 46 new Swiss-built models, which cost £362m.
The first was due to enter service by the end of 2023 but said further tests and training were needed to ensure they operated properly across the Tyne and Wear service.
The operator apologised on Thursday morning after five Metro trains were withdrawn.
"If you bought a car in 1975 and you were still running it today doing hundreds of miles it will problematic to keep it in good working order," spokesman David Punton told BBC Radio Newcastle's Breakfast with Matt Bailey.
"That's pretty similar to what we have got at the moment.
"We are finding is a greater frequency of faults on the trains and we are working around the clock to rectify them when they occur."
He said as the trains were built in the early to mid-1970s at a factory in Birmingham and many of the parts needed were now "obsolete".
"For example, something like traction motors on the trains we have to refurbish those because we can't buy them anymore," he added.
"That is a never-ending cycle of repairs - there are parts of the trains that we can't get anymore which is why we are getting new ones."
Asked about the colder months, Mr Punton said it could be "a difficult winter" and transport bosses were "expecting a few problems" because the trains were "temperamental" in the cold.
He said a "winterisation plan" was being brought forward to help keep them in service through the "very coldest weeks of winter".
It is hoped the first of the new trains will be in "full customer service" early next year. They are currently being tested on the system overnight.
"We appreciate people are disappointed it won't be this year," he added.
"Ultimately these trains are absolutely fantastic, they are transformative, they are going to transform reliability and comfort.
"We just need to get it absolutely right - we don't want to put it into service until it's ready."
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66875888

Swanny200

Why does that not surprise me?, last Wednesday I was waiting for the middle child at Jarrow, walked down onto the platform to find a half hour service as there was "availability issues" at 5:15pm got hold of said child to find that their train kept cutting out and having to be restarted and that nothing was working properly, no Onboard displays or announcements even from the driver, luckily they are streetwise enough and was on a train with teachers and pupils from their school to know when to get off as I can imagine for anyone not familiar with the area it would be hellish.

I still cannot believe that the metro system was built so different to the rest of the network, that in a situation like this, no fallback options could be used. I know that nobody could have foreseen this and governments/budgets etc.... But still.

The fact that they call it a rapid transit system is laughable at the moment.

ModernRailways

Established Member
no Onboard displays or announcements even from the driver, luckily they are streetwise enough and was on a train with teachers and pupils from their school to know when to get off as I can imagine for anyone not familiar with the area it would be hellish.
This is a really significant issue, especially with the fact a lot of drivers are new so aren't used to making announcements. Some drivers don't realise when there's no automated announcements, some are anxious of making manual announcements and some just don't see the issue, or will only announce the major stations.

I still cannot believe that the metro system was built so different to the rest of the network, that in a situation like this, no fallback options could be used. I know that nobody could have foreseen this and governments/budgets etc.... But still.
The issue, as with most things, is Nexus. They've left it too late and now the system is crumbling. The trains are evidently broken but this was known to become an issue when Nexus decided to send the trains for another refurbishment, even so the new trains are going to be rattling through a system that has seen a slapdash refurbishment with some stations clearly stuck in the 80s with major issues forming, along with failing infrastructure.