• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Middlesbrough railway station masterplan

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBY-Paul

I'm a big believer of that's why all the vegetation and what not has been cleared behind the riverside, to house an Azuma that needs to clear the platform for a short period.
Aye the plans for the extra platform is a full length one at the back of platform 2. So LNER services could be in effect have their own platform. I imagine Tp may use is as well if they then reduced the amount of services to Redcar because they can turn around in Middlesbrough easier.
I could see it working, Service pulls up, passengers get off, train pulls out of platform into siding for however long is needed. Train returns back to platform, Passenger get on board, train pulls out of platform before crossing over to the UP line just before Newport bridge. No extra Crossovers needed, just a siding and access near the riverside.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anvil1984

Established Member
It's all well and good extending platform 2, but can you start from there to head west? ?

Sorry I missed this bit. Yes you can run out of Boro platform 2 to go West, theres a main aspect signal at that end which takes you over a set of points at the west end of the station (position light for movements to West Dock sidings). But I don't think the temporary pre platform 3 arrangement will have a reversal in the station as its got to be diagrammed 25 mins turnaround time IIRC

Ryry

Is there any update on when Middlesbrough station is going to be upgrades. Most of the stations on the tees valley line could do with a facelift and some extensions for longer trains, as some 4 carriage trains struggle to fit into the station

Darandio

Established Member
The Middlesbrough station redevelopment is still down to start this year, I don't think there is anything more concrete than that.

Although there are several stations that can't take a double unit, i'm not aware of any plans to lengthen them. Doubling up units is rare as hens teeth anyway.

Anvil1984

Established Member
The Middlesbrough station redevelopment is still down to start this year, I don't think there is anything more concrete than that.

Although there are several stations that can't take a double unit, i'm not aware of any plans to lengthen them. Doubling up units is rare as hens teeth anyway.

It was telling when they doubled the units up during the last temporary cutbacks but in general agreed

themiller

Doubling up Northern units may be rare but Trans Pennine trains will be five coaches plus a loco in the future. Did I read a proposal to extend TPE trains to Saltburn in the future because of lack of room at Middlesbrough?

Darandio

Established Member
Doubling up Northern units may be rare but Trans Pennine trains will be five coaches plus a loco in the future. Did I read a proposal to extend TPE trains to Saltburn in the future because of lack of room at Middlesbrough?

I think it had been mooted but that problem is partially solved by the current arrangement of terminating at Redcar Central instead.

TBY-Paul

I think it had been mooted but that problem is partially solved by the current arrangement of terminating at Redcar Central instead.
I'm not sure of the length of Redcar & Saltburn's platforms, but I think I saw mention of Yarm's platforms being lengthened last year, in readiness for the new TPE trains. I think Thornaby & Middlesbrough, were already long enough, so as far as TPE services are concerned, the only question marks are Redcar & Saltburn, but I suspect both are long enough to cater for the new trains.

Darandio

Established Member
I'm not sure of the length of Redcar & Saltburn's platforms, but I think I saw mention of Yarm's platforms being lengthened last year, in readiness for the new TPE trains. I think Thornaby & Middlesbrough, were already long enough, so as far as TPE services are concerned, the only question marks are Redcar & Saltburn, but I suspect both are long enough to cater for the new trains.

Saltburn is fine, Redcar Central P2 were they currently terminate isn't though.

darloscott

Yes Yarm has been lengthened to 4 car to allow the current 6 car units to stop.
Middlesbrough station upgrade is planned to start next month I believe.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Redcar Central P2 were they currently terminate isn't though.

It is as there's no crossover for them to reach P1 coming in from Middlesbrough (though I wish it would be possible to add one, it'd be a useful bit of flexibility when Northern end up spinning at Redcar).

TPE regularly send 6-car 185s to Redcar Central but as they have SDO it's not really a massive drama. I believe Saltburn is still a local aspiration but I'm not aware of any particular momentum behind the idea.

bearhugger

I used Middlesbrough railway station on Monday for the first time since October 2020 and noticed that there appeared to have been some attempt to clear the ebd of platform 2 at the Saltburn end, and also the "bushed" area of p2 at Thornaby end had been trimmed right down.

PXL_20210111_092749797.jpg

AllensWest

Today a major £34m overhaul of Middlesbrough’s Historic Railway Station is being spearheaded by Middlesbrough Council, Network Rail and the Tees Valley Combined Authority. The ambitious plans will see Platform 2 extended in anticipation of the direct London service, while the redevelopment of the undercroft will restore the building’s distinctive archways, along with a direct pedestrian connection from Zetland Road to the northern entrance on Bridge Street West. The Tees Valley Mayor, Ben Houchen has today announced that LNER will commence direct services to and from London as soon as the works are completed towards the end of 2021. No details of the frequency of service have been announced. Very interesting and long overdue that the town has a direct link to the capital.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Could do with the reinstatement of a bay platform for the Whitby line (as well as the refurbishment of the ornate down platform canopy rather than replacement).

D6130

Established Member
The Tees Valley Mayor, Ben Houchen has today announced that LNER will commence direct services to and from London as soon as the works are completed towards the end of 2021. No details of the frequency of service have been announced. Very interesting and long overdue that the town has a direct link to the capital.
Just as a matter of interest, when was the "Cleveland Executive" Middlesbrough - Kings Cross and return service withdrawn? I used it quite frequently between London and Eaglescliffe back in the mid- 'eighties when visiting my grandmother and then girlfriend while living/working at Brighton.

Darandio

Established Member
Just as a matter of interest, when was the "Cleveland Executive" Middlesbrough - Kings Cross and return service withdrawn? I used it quite frequently between London and Eaglescliffe back in the mid- 'eighties when visiting my grandmother and then girlfriend while living/working at Brighton.

Might be some answers in these threads:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Today a major £34m overhaul of Middlesbrough’s Historic Railway Station is being spearheaded by Middlesbrough Council, Network Rail and the Tees Valley Combined Authority. The ambitious plans will see Platform 2 extended in anticipation of the direct London service, while the redevelopment of the undercroft will restore the building’s distinctive archways, along with a direct pedestrian connection from Zetland Road to the northern entrance on Bridge Street West. The Tees Valley Mayor, Ben Houchen has today announced that LNER will commence direct services to and from London as soon as the works are completed towards the end of 2021. No details of the frequency of service have been announced. Very interesting and long overdue that the town has a direct link to the capital.

Could do with a link ( ;) ) but that sounds like a reannouncement to me of what's been previously reported on this thread?

No extra platform on the freight lines?

I believe that now the scheme has ended up in rather loosely defined "phases" that that's been knocked back into the long grass. With "Phase One" including extending Platform 2 as a way of getting the London services as soon as possible.

I imagine the getting a new platform on the freight lines is most likely tied up with what happens to the re-signalling and there is no doubt haggling going on about who pays for which bits that they want over and above just replacing everything as is with new kit.

Last edited:

AllensWest

Could do with a link ( ;) ) but that sounds like a reannouncement to me of what's been previously reported on this thread?

I believe that now the scheme has ended up in rather loosely defined "phases" that that's been knocked back into the long grass. With "Phase One" including extending Platform 2 as a way of getting the London services as soon as possible.

I imagine the getting a new platform on the freight lines is most likely tied up with what happens to the re-signalling and there is no doubt haggling going on about who pays for which bits that they want over and above just replacing everything as is with new kit.
Have a look on The Tees Valley Mayor's various forms of social media, don't think any news outlet has announced the work has actually started.

bearhugger

Have a look on The Tees Valley Mayor's various forms of social media, don't think any news outlet has announced the work has actually started.
Ben Houchen was on BBC Tees just before 6pm to announce that work had actually started today. The interview concentrated on the extension of platform 2 to accomodate a 9 car LNER train, work on upgrading the undercroft and the fact that now work has been annonced as starting that LNER have announced they will start the Middlesbrough - London service in the second half of this year.
No mention was made of the new third platform that I heard. Hopefully the following BBC Sounds link will work for the BBC Tees program, the relevant part was the last 10 minutes .
BBC Tees program - link.

AllensWest

Local News article confirming the above announcement.

Construction work has begun on a long-awaited platform extension at Middlesbrough railway station which will herald the return of a direct train link to London from December.

The £34.6m project, which will also include a major station upgrade, has been described as the first significant public investment in a Tees Valley rail station since the opening of the James Cook University Hospital station seven years ago.

It is being funded with £22.5m from the Tees Valley Combined Authority with the Government committing £9.65m and a further £2.45m for design and development work.

Last edited by a moderator:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm more concerned with the extra platform to accommodate a decent Whitby service.

bearhugger

I'm more concerned with the extra platform to accommodate a decent Whitby service.
Maybe once the work to extend platform 2 is complete. There seems to be space for a bay platform at the Saltburn end of platform 2, and if the new platform is going to be built at the back of the station where the freight lines currently are, then i think it's even possible to make the bay a double bay as Darlingtons platforms 2 & 3 or Carlisle's platform 5 & 6. But that's probably getting to far into speculation as I'm not sure how much work would be needed to sort out the track work at that end of the station to get into that bay. I'm alo not sure whether someting could be done at the end of platform 1 where the new Network Rail depot is to put a bay in.
We shall have to see how things start to pan out as there is also a re-signalling project going on up the coast line to as far a Sunderland.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Maybe once the work to extend platform 2 is complete. There seems to be space for a bay platform at the Saltburn end of platform 2, and if the new platform is going to be built at the back of the station where the freight lines currently are, then i think it's even possible to make the bay a double bay as Darlingtons platforms 2 & 3 or Carlisle's platform 5 & 6. But that's probably getting to far into speculation as I'm not sure how much work would be needed to sort out the track work at that end of the station to get into that bay. I'm alo not sure whether someting could be done at the end of platform 1 where the new Network Rail depot is to put a bay in.
We shall have to see how things start to pan out as there is also a re-signalling project going on up the coast line to as far a Sunderland.

Indeed - as long as Whitby isn't forgotten in the brave new world !

Confgent

Update from Saltburn Line Users Group on fb: 'SLUG went to see how the platform extension work was progressing at Middlesbrough station yesterday.
The unused East end of platform 2 is being bought back up to standard and an extension added in readiness for the LNER service to London which will hopefully start in December. Other work being done includes a signalling upgrade and construction of a new platform 3. A raised flower bed at the West end of platform 2 has already been removed to provide more space.'

Their response to a comment asking about platform 3's usage: 'I imagine the extended platform 2 will be used for the new longer LNER service. Platform 3 should be 5 carriages long, so would accommodate the new rolling stock expected on TransPennine services as well as 2/4 carriage Northern services.'

No mention of a bay platform but I imagine that could be added at a later date if needed. Also no sign of the 'stunning glass frontage' that was promised in the masterplan for the north entrance.

Attachments

• Mbro Station 1.jpg
    Mbro Station 1.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 164
  • Mbro Station 2.jpg
    Mbro Station 2.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Mbro Station 3.jpg
    Mbro Station 3.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 163

Ryry

Report out today that the work on platform 2 has now been completed and training and measuring can now commence to accommodate 9 car azumas .

Work to complete a platform upgrade at Middlesbrough Railway Station allowing for a direct link to trains to London has been completed.

Driver training has already started on the planned service which is due to come in to operation in December this year and will use the new Azuma high speed trains.

Platform 2 at the Victorian built station in the centre of Middlesbrough has been extended to accommodate the nine-car long trains and the first test runs on Teesside have already started.

Middlesbrough's Labour MP Andy McDonald has campaigned for better rail connectivity from Teesside for many years.

He described the progress being made as 'fantastic' but said it was frustrating it has not been quicker.

"Middlesbrough Railway Station is at the heart of my constituency and provides an essential link to the rest of the country. Since being elected back in 2012, I have campaigned for improved rail connectivity as I know there are huge economic benefits that will come to Middlesbrough and the wider region from having better rail links," he said.

"A direct service to London is vital as we are the largest conurbation in the UK without a direct service to the capital.

"The start of direct trains from Middlesbrough to London is expected at the end of this year. It is fantastic to see progress being made with Platform 2 at the Station now extended to accommodate the Azuma trains used by LNER for the planned London to Middlesbrough service. Now this phase of work is complete, it will allow the start of driver and staff training ahead of the service going live.

"It is frustrating that progress has not been quicker on securing these rail connectivity improvements – I have been, and will continue to engage with the Department for Transport, Network Rail, the train operators and all other stakeholders to ensure we have a truly fit for purpose rail station here in Middlesbrough."

Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen also welcomed the completion of the upgrade work.

"The progress on our £34m upgrade to Middlesbrough Station is clear to see. Within a matter of days of the new 75m platform extension being complete, LNER had already commenced driver training," he said.

"We’re well on-track for delivering Middlesbrough’s direct London service in December this year and creating better-quality more-frequent rail services for people across Teesside, Darlington and Hartlepool."

Last month, May, LNER confirmed the direct service is on track for December as one of the Azuma trains, built at Hitachi's Newton Aycliffe factory using Japanese bullet train technology, was given an early-morning test-run from Leeds to Middlesbrough.

The £34.6m upgrade to Middlesbrough's station has been described as the first significant public investment in a Tees Valley rail station since the opening of the James Cook University Hospital station seven years ago.

It is being funded with £22.5m from the Tees Valley Combined Authority with the government committing £9.65m and a further £2.45m for design and development work.

There will also be upgrades to the road to the front of the station.

A new Platform Three is due to be built to the north of Platform Two, increasing train capacity at the station, although this may not happen until 2023.

Pinza-C55

I used Middlesbrough railway station on Monday for the first time since October 2020 and noticed that there appeared to have been some attempt to clear the ebd of platform 2 at the Saltburn end, and also the "bushed" area of p2 at Thornaby end had been trimmed right down.

View attachment 88575

Here's the same place on 30.8.81 , on the occasion of a Deltic hauled Merrymaker from Newcastle to Whitby via Sunderland with 55002.

55002 (B)  Middlesbrough 30.8.81.jpg

wallan

Update from Saltburn Line Users Group on fb: 'SLUG went to see how the platform extension work was progressing at Middlesbrough station yesterday.
The unused East end of platform 2 is being bought back up to standard and an extension added in readiness for the LNER service to London which will hopefully start in December. Other work being done includes a signalling upgrade and construction of a new platform 3. A raised flower bed at the West end of platform 2 has already been removed to provide more space.'

Their response to a comment asking about platform 3's usage: 'I imagine the extended platform 2 will be used for the new longer LNER service. Platform 3 should be 5 carriages long, so would accommodate the new rolling stock expected on TransPennine services as well as 2/4 carriage Northern services.'

No mention of a bay platform but I imagine that could be added at a later date if needed. Also no sign of the 'stunning glass frontage' that was promised in the masterplan for the north entrance.
What is The Signaling Upgrade that is been done

Freightmaster

Established Member
What is The Signaling Upgrade that is being done?
The section of line from Thornaby to Whitehouse junction(excluding Tees yard) is being resignalled this Autumn,
with control passing from Tees/Middlesbrough/Whitehouse signalboxes to York ROC in November.

MARK

Status
Not open for further replies.