• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mornington Crescent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmm, it didn't say that in the last rulebook I read - which version are you using?
The 1864 Lapland Accords (amended 1868, 1901, 1933, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1944, 1945, 1949, 1956, 1962, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2020, 2021) currently state that, as added in the 1938 Amendment, removed by the 1945 but reinstated by the 1949.

In any case, the 1988 amendment says that when Nidd moves, we must travel to the closest Watford DC Line Silverlink Overground station.

Watford Junction

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Loppylugs

I am now forced to ask the question of who has actual knowledge of this game, or indeed who has heard it played. In ISIHAC it was always played around the LU area, hence the game labelled Mornington Crescent. If we are moving around the country it loses any point in playing it. Mods opinion and rulings here please.

Ostrich

Ayr? Ma heid's mince. ;)
Surely, the logical next move must be to Caledonian Road.

Established Member
I am now forced to ask the question of who has actual knowledge of this game, or indeed who has heard it played. In ISIHAC it was always played around the LU area, hence the game labelled Mornington Crescent. If we are moving around the country it loses any point in playing it. Mods opinion and rulings here please.
I have to agree, you do wonder if all the players on here actually know the rules ;)

So to get closer to home Whitechapel

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I did say it baffles me.
As far as I can see we make it up as we go along.

Loppylugs

I did say it baffles me.
As far as I can see we make it up as we go along.
Yes, the "rules" are fictional. Have a look at Mornington Crescent rules on Wikipedia. By all means make up a story or various silly moves, but let's stick to LU/DLR/London Overground area. Please don't get to Mornington Crescent or the game is over....and try not to get in Nidd !!

Remember that baffling over out-of-towners requires an instant move to Bank, where we obtain the funds to continue our journey after spending all the money on chasing them through Scotland, France or Ireland wherever it may be.

Trackman

Established Member
I could go for the obvious Warren Street move, but we are playing the strict Adventūs Nātīvitās rules - so I would miss a turn. So I'll play my Joker Stanmore named after for what Mr.Boardman says what people say after happens after his shows, who is 85 years young today.

DerekC

Established Member
Oh no - that takes us into the realm of uncertainty exemplified by Hoffenmeyer's ferret, which can be moving in both directions at once until spotted by the rabbit. However, fortunately Stanmore is a terminus so the surplus energy just goes into the ticket machine and it's clear that the next move has to be a transdimensional jump to Headstone Lane.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Adventūs Nātīvitās: I invoke Rudolf's exemption and move to Northwick Park.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mornington Crescent is closed due to non-availability of station staff.

So according to the rules that were introduced in the aftermath of the Kings Cross fire, the next station has to be Plaistow.

DerekC

Established Member
Amersham - East of Chinnor. On reflection I suspect that heritage stations are precluded by hieroglyphs carved on the seventh tablet, as recently interpreted by the Great Administrator. So with some regrets I retreat to Rickmansworth for a change of locomotive.

A Challenge

Established Member
With the new tube trains on the Isle of Wight to allow this, after a trip to the glasshouses seems like as good a time as any to visit Ryde Esplanade for a nice trip to the beach.

Purple Train

Established Member
(Looking at the actual gameplay section on Wikipedia, it does seem to me that moves outside London have been allowed - however, I shall refrain accordingly from moving outside if it is deemed contrary to the spirit of the game.)

Ryde Esplanade? At this stage of the game? That seems like a completely mad move! Under section 106 of the Sentamu Advent Variation, I can stick you perilously close to Nidd by playing Upney.

Established Member
Keeping in East London, but keeping warm too, a short detour towards Beckton to stop off at Cyprus

Purple Train

Established Member
Interesting choice, but I fear you may need to look up the 2019 Bennett Law. Such a move from a brook to a river requires an immediate movement to South Kensington for the Science Museum's precipitation display - which automatically brings into force Curie's Move which traps you within the Monument-Bank complex for the next move, or until you've found the main exit.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Yes, the "rules" are fictional. Have a look at Mornington Crescent rules on Wikipedia. By all means make up a story or various silly moves, but let's stick to LU/DLR/London Overground area. Please don't get to Mornington Crescent or the game is over....and try not to get in Nidd !!
Okay.
Why is it confined to London area?

Loppylugs

Okay.
Why is it confined to London area?
Because MC is on the LU system. There have been variations such as Morganstown Crescent used when the programme was in Cardiff and I believe Morningside Crescent when it was broadcast in Edinburgh. If you wish to go further afield then the name of the game should be changed, perhaps to Anywhere Crescent. A blue plaque dedicated to one of the original panellists of the game is to be found at MC station. Enjoy the game, it can be witty, funny and just plain silly, but that's what "I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue" was all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.