• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poll: What would you do if the public transport services you normally use are still requiring masks after the government mandate is over?

What would you do if the public transport service(s) you normally use is still mandating masks?

• Use the service(s) as I have no problem with wearing a mask

Votes: 150 50.8%
  • Use the service(s) as I have no other choice

Votes: 23 7.8%
  • Use the service(s) without wearing a mask, whether exempt or not

Votes: 76 25.8%
  • Use an alternative operator’s service

Votes: 13 4.4%
  • Use an alternative mode of transport

Votes: 23 7.8%
  • Not make the journey at all

Votes: 10 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’ve decided I’m not going to wear a sunflower band as of tomorrow. I’ll keep it with me but I see no reason to display it as I can’t be exempt from a mandate that doesn’t exist.

(Sorry if OT, I’m not sure if it’s a new thread worthy topic?)
I think that is the best thing. Anyone who is exempt is probably best having an exemption card (there is no requirement but it can make things easier, and avoid the need to say anything, if that makes people anxious) in their wallet, which they can produce if such a situation transpires.

I expect we will see between 25 and 50% (depending on if it's a local or longer distance service and perhaps time of day etc) not wearing masks initially, this will soon increase to over 50% within a matter of perhaps two or three weeks. Once the unmasked are in the majority, it will increase further until in just a month or two those who are masked will be very much in the minority.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GodAtum

On Moderation
I think that is the best thing. Anyone who is exempt is probably best having an exemption card (there is no requirement but it can make things easier, and avoid the need to say anything, if that makes people anxious) in their wallet, which they can produce if such a situation transpires.

I expect we will see between 25 and 50% (depending on if it's a local or longer distance service and perhaps time of day etc) not wearing masks initially, this will soon increase to over 50% within a matter of perhaps two or three weeks. Once the unmasked are in the majority, it will increase further until in just a month or two those who are masked will be very much in the minority.
Any advice for dealing with TFL journeys? Should I boycott them? Is the fine still £200?

GALLANTON

Some mask wearing is completely ridiculous. Would you wear a mask in the UK's most remote station (this lady at Corrour was
)

Nothing ridiculous about it. If someone wants to wear a mask whilst on the Platform then they are perfectly entitled to do so. Also, at the moment, ScotRail's rules clearly say you must wear a face-covering in stations unless exempt, therefore this "ridiculous" person as you so put it is simply following the rules.

bengley

Established Member
Nothing ridiculous about it. If someone wants to wear a mask whilst on the Platform then they are perfectly entitled to do so. Also, at the moment, ScotRail's rules clearly say you must wear a face-covering in stations unless exempt, therefore this "ridiculous" person as you so put it is simply following the rules.
The rules are ridiculous. People are quite entitled to wear masks as you state - but who is she protecting?

GALLANTON

The rules are ridiculous. People are quite entitled to wear masks as you state - but who is she protecting?

Given that in the video the train is pulling into the station, it looks to me like the person has put their mask on in preparation for boarding the train.

bengley

Established Member
Given that in the video the train is pulling into the station, it looks to me like the person has put their mask on in preparation for boarding the train.
Indeed, which is fine, but if she had been wearing it for, say, ten minutes beforehand, then it is rather pointless.

As we don't know whether she was or not, it is pointless speculating, but from my own personal observations, people do seem to sometimes wear masks when they are the only person on an isolated station - like many do driving their own car, on their own.

GALLANTON

Indeed, which is fine, but if she had been wearing it for, say, ten minutes beforehand, then it is rather pointless.

As we don't know whether she was or not, it is pointless speculating, but from my own personal observations, people do seem to sometimes wear masks when they are the only person on an isolated station - like many do driving their own car, on their own.

And what precisely is wrong with someone putting their mask on in a station on their own?! Nothing! That's What! It's a total non-issue! If someone wants to drive around in their car with a mask on then that's up to them, it's their choice and absolutely nothing to do with anyone else.

bengley

Established Member
And what precisely is wrong with someone putting their mask on in a station on their own?! Nothing! That's What! It's a total non-issue! If someone wants to drive around in their car with a mask on then that's up to them, it's their choice and absolutely nothing to do with anyone else.
There's nothing wrong with it but it's ridiculous.

The purpose of the mask is to protect other people. If there are no other people around, what is the point? Does the person believe it's protecting them?

The issue is the fact that people like this have been terrified and coerced into practicing all these pointless 'COVID Theatre' things. Wearing a mask is not normal and never will be and to try and claim that it is, is complete and utter nonsense.

102 fan

Can we not ridicule them for stupidity? Or has covid changed the rules so that we can't point out people are acting irrationally?

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I imagine there will also be some passengers who won't neatly fall into the dichotomy between wearing a mask and not wearing a mask. For example, there will be some who wear a mask while travelling through the train, but not when sat at their seat.

GALLANTON

There's nothing wrong with it but it's ridiculous.

The purpose of the mask is to protect other people. If there are no other people around, what is the point? Does the person believe it's protecting them?

The issue is the fact that people like this have been terrified and coerced into practicing all these pointless 'COVID Theatre' things. Wearing a mask is not normal and never will be and to try and claim that it is, is complete and utter nonsense.

Or have you ever thought that someone may have just forgot to take their mask off? I've lost count of the amount of times I've walked out of a station or off a bus and been distracted by something and forgot to take my mask off. I also quite often just pull it down to my chin, not because I'm terrified or have been "coerced" but because I just can't be bothered taking it off, putting it away, and then 5 minutes later having to dig it out again and put it back on.

You can't just assume that everyone that's wearing a mask in an unusual situation is doing so because they're "terrified" or have been "coerced".

bengley

Established Member
Or have you ever thought that someone may have just forgot to take their mask off? I've lost count of the amount of times I've walked out of a station or off a bus and been distracted by something and forgot to take my mask off. I also quite often just pull it down to my chin, not because I'm terrified or have been "coerced" but because I just can't be bothered taking it off, putting it away, and then 5 minutes later having to dig it out again and put it back on.

You can't just assume that everyone that's wearing a mask in an unusual situation is doing so because they're "terrified" or have been "coerced".
Possibly they have forgotten. Personally I could never forget because of how unpleasant they are - they interfere with my glasses constantly.

102 fan

And those in a car?

duncanp

Established Member
These are Avanti's rules, which I am quite happy to observe: Avanti West Coast | Buy Train Tickets | No Booking Fee

What a load of emotive, virtue signalling claptrap.

I fundamentally disagree with the emotional blackmail contained in the statement

please respect others and, unless exempt, wear a face covering in crowded spaces throughout your journey.

which is designed to guilt trip people into continuing to wear a face nappy.

I am travelling on Avanti from Birmingham to London on Friday (and back on Saturday) and I have no intention of wearing a face nappy, or being bullied and browbeaten by maskivist train staff or passengers.

102 fan

What a load of emotive, virtue signalling claptrap.

I fundamentally disagree with the emotional blackmail contained in the statement

which is designed to guilt trip people into continuing to wear a face nappy.

I am travelling on Avanti from Birmingham to London on Friday (and back on Saturday) and I have no intention of wearing a face nappy, or being bullied and browbeaten by maskivist train staff or passengers.

Well said.

GALLANTON

And those in a car?

They could quite easily have forgotten to take it off, or just can't be bothered, or maybe going somewhere else that requires a mask to be worn and see no point in taking it off. Just because you see someone wearing a mask in a car on their own doesn't automatically mean they're terrified or feel coerced.

People need to stop making assumptions about other people's actions and mind their own business.

lxfe_mxtterz

I couldn't care less. If a journey I'm making on a specific service is the cheapest and/or most convenient option, then I'm not going to let a silly piece of cloth affect me and deliberately go out of my way just to "boycott" said operator whilst also increasing the cost or journey time... for what?

bengley

Established Member
I couldn't care less. If a journey I'm making on a specific service is the cheapest and/or most convenient option, then I'm not going to let a silly piece of cloth affect me and deliberately go out of my way just to "boycott" said operator whilst also increasing the cost or journey time... for what?
There would be no need to boycott them! Simply exercise your right not to wear a mask if you don't want to. If you don't mind wearing one then continue wearing one where it is requested you do ;)

GALLANTON

I'd say people deliberately avoiding making a journey because they don't want to wear a mask is far more ridiculous than someone standing on an empty station platform with a mask on...

102 fan

They could quite easily have forgotten to take it off, or just can't be bothered, or maybe going somewhere else that requires a mask to be worn and see no point in taking it off. Just because you see someone wearing a mask in a car on their own doesn't automatically mean they're terrified or feel coerced.

People need to stop making assumptions about other people's actions and mind their own business.

Or they might just as easily be terrified or coerced. Stop trying to justify it.

GALLANTON

Or they might just as easily be terrified or coerced. Stop trying to justify it.

Justify what, exactly? There IS plenty of reasons other than being "coerced" or "terrified" why someone might have a mask on whilst driving their car on their own.

bengley

Established Member
I'd say people deliberately avoiding making a journey because they don't want to wear a mask is far more ridiculous than someone standing on an empty station platform with a mask on...
I agree with you there! I would never not make a journey for that reason.

102 fan

Justify what, exactly? There IS plenty of reasons other than being "coerced" or "terrified" why someone might have a mask on whilst driving their car on their own.

You're trying to say they all have forgotten. I'm trying to say there's every possibility some are terrified.

GALLANTON

You're trying to say they all have forgotten. I'm trying to say there's every possibility some are terrified.

I never said all have forgotten, try actually reading my posts properly. I'm saying you can't just assume everyone driving around wearing a mask is terrified. Of course, some might be but not all and it's wrong to assume all of them are terrified which is what some people on here seem to be doing.

nlogax

Established Member
Completely agree. I have never understood the desire to not bother with taking trains because of a dislike of mask rules. Applies to both sides of the argument, especially after tomorrow when the focus flips.

alex397

Established Member
If people want to continue wearing masks, then no one should be judging them for doing so. Let people do their own thing. There’s enough conflict as there is.

Silver Cobra

I have my first long-distance journey since last August coming up on Saturday, travelling from Stevenage to Leeds on the 0756 LNER Harrogate service and returning back to Stevenage on the 1515 from Leeds. If the carriage I'm travelling in isn't very busy, I'll probably forego wearing a mask, but otherwise I can probably sustain the 1 hour 47 minute journey each way with a mask on (I did around 1 hour 30 mins each way between Cambridge and Norwich last August with a mask on, so this should be manageable).

Status
Not open for further replies.