• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Porterbrook Cl.769 'Flex' trains from 319s, initially for Northern

edwin_m

Veteran Member
38 in that table if I counted correctly. Along with the ones that stay as 319s with ROG, that would account for over half the original 85 units in the class.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just spotted a 769 in Northern livery at Canton. Anybody know what that's about?

Jozhua

Established Member
But the *whole point* is that Northern need a solution for Windermere, as they have insufficient quality DMUs to run the through service using those.

There are lots of contexts where bi-mode EDMUs would be useful. I remain flummoxed as to why Northern were allowed to order straight DMU, and why the franchise agreement did not require bi-mode for maximum flexibility.
Would probably be easier to electrify Windemere at this point lol. (Aware this post is almost five years old, but point still stands ;)...I was reading posts and didn't realise I was on page one lol.)

Also agree that EDMUs should have been ordered. Fortunately at least Manchester-Preston via Bolton was finished eventually...

Roger B

The 2021 P5 book shows 230006 - 230009 as having been accepted by TfL. Does anyone know the acceptance date for each of them, please? (Apols if this info has already appeared on tis thread. Many thanks

fgwrich

Established Member
The 2021 P5 book shows 230006 - 230009 as having been accepted by TfL. Does anyone know the acceptance date for each of them, please? (Apols if this info has already appeared on tis thread. Many thanks

I think you mean TfW for this one - and you might find the answer in this thread rather than a Northern 769 one.

Geeves

Established Member
We were having bets on who will be the first to set off in Electric out of the east end LOL

Greybeard33

Established Member
769 to Stalybridge tomorrow

Oh that will be fun up the bank in the rain...
Have a look at 3Z01 as well. Allerton to Stalybridge for today.
According to RTT they took 3 and 2.75 minutes respectively up Miles Platting bank, versus 2.5 minutes timed for a 15x and 2 minutes actually taken by the 150s on service workings to Stalybridge this morning.

I wonder if they were loaded with ballast to represent a full passenger load?

We were having bets on who will be the first to set off in Electric out of the east end LOL
Well, if the engines won't start after it happens, at least they should be able to roll back down the bank to the wires! Setting off from Bolton on electric, they might be able to coast as far as Westhoughton.

Edit: timings corrected.

Last edited:

Llama

Established Member
They could maybe just coast to Westhoughton if they took the 40mph turnout at Lostock Jn at something like 85mph.

craigybagel

Established Member
They could maybe just coast to Westhoughton if they took the 40mph turnout at Lostock Jn at something like 85mph.
So long as no one flushes the toilet and you lose enough Main Res to keep the brakes off.

craigybagel

Established Member
Doesn't the compressor in a 319/769 run off the batteries if the Motor-Alternator is not powered?
No idea, I don't sign anything electric (or indeed, anything electric with a diesel generator bolted on as in this case). On the diesels I sign if the engine goes the compressor goes with it. That said, it was not a 100% serious post.

Llama

Established Member
Doesn't the compressor in a 319/769 run off the batteries if the Motor-Alternator is not powered?
The main compressor on a 319/769 runs off the 750v busline and is protected by a chunky 60 amp fuse even at that voltage.

The auxiliary compressor runs off the battery but only runs to feed 3-4 bar air pressure into the pantograph air system, enough to get the pan up so the main compressor can do it's thing.

Re the OLE runoff at Lostock Jn, I wasn't accounting for that in my ballistics calculation, as far as I was aware runoffs aren't 'registered' for contact wire height and stagger so I didn't assume it could be relied upon, I might be wrong but I hope never to find out the hard way!

Greybeard33

Established Member
The main compressor on a 319/769 runs off the 750v busline and is protected by a chunky 60 amp fuse even at that voltage.

The auxiliary compressor runs off the battery but only runs to feed 3-4 bar air pressure into the pantograph air system, enough to get the pan up so the main compressor can do it's thing.
Ah, thanks for the correction. :)

Ribbleman

So when do folk expect to see these in service on the Southport, Stalybridge, Alderley Edge routes?
Assuming that any remaining staff issues regarding cab cooling are resolved, Northern have stated that they expect introduction to be in the first quarter of the year. There’s not much of that left so hitting that target looks unlikely but they should certainly be running by the timetable change in May.

Llama

Established Member
Southport has always been one of the worst performing routes, I can't see how putting a unit that can't keep to 14x/15x timings and struggles in low adhesion is going to do anything positive to performance.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Southport has always been one of the worst performing routes, I can't see how putting a unit that can't keep to 14x/15x timings and struggles in low adhesion is going to do anything positive to performance.
If they go on the Stalybridge route, maybe they will be a bit quicker than the 150s between Salford Crescent and Bolton, calling at Kearsley, Farnworth, and Moses Gate?

It is not ideal to have DMUs working the stopper on an electrified line.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
If they go on the Stalybridge route, maybe they will be a bit quicker than the 150s between Salford Crescent and Bolton, calling at Kearsley, Farnworth, and Moses Gate?

It is not ideal to have DMUs working the stopper on an electrified line.

And the one Clifton per day each way! Travelled Farnworth to Salford Crescent (and onwards to Atherton) today and the 4-car 156/150 combo was empty. 769s are a pair of 150s really so they'll be fine for those stations.