• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

td97

Established Member
Yes, it's so that if the rear one causes minor damage or is itself damaged, e.g. by a piece of plastic on the OHLE, there's the possibility the front one and front section of wire remains undamaged and so can be raised and get the train out of trouble, I believe. The other way round and there's more likely to be damage to the rear one (or section of wires) that would prevent that.

I thought it was aerodynamics, since having the pointier bit facing the wind will reduce air resistance
Although that makes sense too.

The Pendo instruction is just AWC operating preference. If there is a pan fault you still see the odd unit running front pan.
I understand AWC use rear so that if the driver spots damaged OLE ahead (e.g. damaged dropper), the pan can be dropped hopefully in enough time to avoid a further damage or worse a dewirement. There are stories of this successfully occurring.
Of course the factors you have all mentioned are relevant too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reecestrains

I saw an Avanti West Coast IET at York this morning...

Very unusual to see Avanti West Coast on the East Coast Mainline although most likely for testing.

anthony263

Established Member
Changing trains at New Street is not an attractive proposition for anyone. I wonder if this is why there is talk of an Open Access provider from Shropshire which has been mentioned somewhere?
Think this is why the dft supported it. Gets them out of a mess plus if it fails they can turn around and blame it on the customers.

Personally I think.it will prove well so much I could see it requiring a much improved timetable down the line if paths are freed up f by HS2

Established Member

Very unusual to see Avanti West Coast on the East Coast Mainline although most likely for testing.
Every Avanti unit from Aycliffe goes on test on the ECML.
Although this path above is 805010 on delivery move to Oxley depot.

Last edited:

DaveyJones

Looks like a Delivery

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I thought the IET's were not cleared to go via Calder Valley?

They do go via the TransPennine Route through Dewsbury and Huddersfield towards Manchester and Liverpool.
IETs probably aren't cleared since they're GWR's 80Xs :)

However TPE's 802s ("Nova 1" since you seem to like using TOC's nicknames) do, such as here, and plenty of other times yesterday.

However TPE's 802s ("Nova 1" since you seem to like using TOC's nicknames) do, such as here, and plenty of other times yesterday.
No doubt the scenic way to Oxley all counts towards the units mileage accumulation.

When an 807 is despatched it goes via Edinburgh and the ECML then the WCML On electric. They even put in an odd trip to Glasgow for mileage. All of which is cleated to use.

MickeyN

No doubt the scenic way to Oxley all counts towards the units mileage accumulation.

When an 807 is despatched it goes via Edinburgh and the ECML then the WCML On electric. They even put in an odd trip to Glasgow for mileage. All of which is cleated to use.
Just seen 805004 at Preston

reecestrains

Oh wow! How amazing that I honestly never knew! Thanks for sharing!

*sarcasm intended.

Railperf

Established Member
Due to be commissioned from week 01 (April) through to week 10. It will be staged with Kilburn - Rugby done first.

390s have had a vehicle change so can operate at MU once the speed profile is introduced.

The SoC for 805s shows they can run on test at EPS between Rugby and Crewe although both GBRF and AWC have only been running at PS.
So when do both Avanti and LNWR drivers start being trained on the new speed limits? I guess a bit easier for LNWR as not so many changes, having seen the profile now. Looks like Linslade remains at 90mph up and down.

Danfilm007

So when do both Avanti and LNWR drivers start being trained on the new speed limits? I guess a bit easier for LNWR as not so many changes, having seen the profile now. Looks like Linslade remains at 90mph up and down.

Where has the profile been published?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There won't be much change for LNWR though, will there, as there are very few places on the WCML fast lines which currently have a PS limit lower than 110mph, and which will be faster under MU?
Maybe at Atherstone, or Queensville approaching Stafford?
I imagine everything will still do 110mph through Kilsby Tunnel.

Railperf

Established Member
There won't be much change for LNWR though, will there, as there are very few places on the WCML fast lines which currently have a PS limit lower than 110mph, and which will be faster under MU?
Maybe at Atherstone, or Queensville approaching Stafford?
I imagine everything will still do 110mph through Kilsby Tunnel.
Yes as above Kilsby and Atherstone remain the same for 110mph stock PS and MU in both directions. For LNWR specifically it looks like MU speeds will increase on the down main earlier from Queens Park to Wembley closer to EPS speeds and then there's around 6 miles North of Rugby of 110mph vice 100mph and that's it. On the Up main, a higher limit of 95mph vice 90mph is available for a few miles south of Stafford - Queensville area - followed by a few miles of 110mph vice 105 and 100mph just north of Rugby in roughly the same place as the down line increases. But the step down approaching Euston seems to be the same for MU as PS

Last edited:

Established Member
Any more progress with the 807's?
807001 at Aycliffe on static testing unliveried.
807002 has returned back to Aycliffe unliveried.
807003 at Aycliffe static testing in Avanti livery.

No other units seen as yet.

Boodiggy

Linslade is 90 PS on Up with no MU and 125ESP with no differential after the new speeds are introduced.

The Down will be 90 PS 100 MU and 125EPS with no differential.

Not sure when the drivers will be briefed / trained. Not all the boards are up yet!….