• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail Conductor applicants

agall2079

Hi all
I'm just new here and have a quick question. I have my assessment day for conductor on Tuesday the 27th.

Is the interview held the same day after the assessment tests? And what should I expect.

I'll be getting the train to Glasgow and the email that was sent to be said use this email as authority to travel to Glasgow on your assessment day, I take it I just show the email at the gate?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AG78UK

Hi all
I'm just new here and have a quick question. I have my assessment day for conductor on Tuesday the 27th.

Is the interview held the same day after the assessment tests? And what should I expect.

I'll be getting the train to Glasgow and the email that was sent to be said use this email as authority to travel to Glasgow on your assessment day, I take it I just show the email at the gate?

Thanks
All the best for the 27th :)

Interviews are held separate to the assessment centre, if you pass then they will contact you to confirm when and where the interview will take place.

Yes, when you travel just show the gateline staff and conductor onboard your email as proof of travel.

Ameria

Hello!

I finally got the interview.

Can someone tell me the questions they had been asked?
Congratulations! I had my interview recently at Queen St. There were 2 people on the panel - Conductor Managers and they asked questions and used a scoring sheet (which I didn't see). The questions were on: communication, team work; when things went wrong; new way of working; customer service; and handling bad news. They also want to know how you will get into work when there is no public transport and no parking at work. Good luck!

All the best for the 27th :)

Interviews are held separate to the assessment centre, if you pass then they will contact you to confirm when and where the interview will take place.

Yes, when you travel just show the gateline staff and conductor onboard your email as proof of travel.
Your questions have been answered already so just wanted to wish you luck and encourage you to practice practice practice!! Hope it all goes well. Let us know how you get on.

Any idea of your start date? I’m in post now, all moved very quickly indeed. The training flies by.
I'll be joining you soon! :)

I had my "2nd medical" (chat with the occupational health doctor after my actual medical) on the 14th Feb so missed the training school starting on the 15th Feb. I got my contract through yesterday (22nd Feb) and I'm starting my training on the 29th Feb. My uniform is ordered and I have my start date! I am so happy. I know how lucky I am.

Good luck to everyone else

Last edited:

zilmed

Congratulations! I had my interview recently at Queen St. There were 2 people on the panel - Conductor Managers and they asked questions and used a scoring sheet (which I didn't see). The questions were on: communication, team work; when things went wrong; new way of working; customer service; and handling bad news. They also want to know how you will get into work when there is no public transport and no parking at work. Good luck!

Your questions have been answered already so just wanted to wish you luck and encourage you to practice practice practice!! Hope it all goes well. Let us know how you get on.

I had my "2nd medical" (chat with the occupational health doctor after my actual medical) on the 14th Feb so missed the training school starting on the 15th Feb. I got my contract through yesterday (22nd Feb) and I'm starting my training on the 29th Feb. My uniform is ordered and I have my start date! I am so happy. I know how lucky I am.

Well done and congratulations!! And thank you!!

Ameria

Thank you. @zilmed - they also asked for your experience of working to targets

Can someone tell me when the next pay date is for Scotrail? Thanks

Last edited:

agall2079

Thanks for the best wishes everyone, I've been practicing all weekend and I'll let you know the outcome.

The two tests I'll be taking according to the email is the verbal and concentration test.

It's says in the booklet attached to give myself 6 min for 4 different scenarios and answers on the verbal test and 1 min per page on the concentration test where there is 4 altogether. Is this the times as a guide for the practice or is this the times they actually use during the test?

Thanks

AG78UK

Thanks for the best wishes everyone, I've been practicing all weekend and I'll let you know the outcome.

The two tests I'll be taking according to the email is the verbal and concentration test.

It's says in the booklet attached to give myself 6 min for 4 different scenarios and answers on the verbal test and 1 min per page on the concentration test where there is 4 altogether. Is this the times as a guide for the practice or is this the times they actually use during the test?

Thanks
The different scenarios is an overall timed paper, can’t remember how long but it’s the full time to do the full paper. I think they say 6 minutes as that the time divided per question.

The concentration test is 1 minute, they time you and tell you to move on to the next block.

AG78UK

Thanks for that. I just wasn't sure if the whole verbal test was 6 min long.
No I am sure it’s long about 15-20 minutes but honestly can’t remember the exact timing. Just take your time and whilst it might sound stupid, read the question and understand what is it asking. It can be easy to just assume what the question wants.

LG1598

Hey all! So glad to have found this thread! I’m also starting my training on Thursday 29th and have been sent via email 'ScotRail Preboarding (E-Learning)' it looks like a training module to be completed - does anyone know if this has to be completed right away? Or is this to be completed over the two work from home induction days?

Another thing, does anyone know where we pick up our uniform from? I have sent off the form but it didn’t mention where we get it?

hopefully get to meet some of you guys soon :)

AG78UK

Hey all! So glad to have found this thread! I’m also starting my training on Thursday 29th and have been sent via email 'ScotRail Preboarding (E-Learning)' it looks like a training module to be completed - does anyone know if this has to be completed right away? Or is this to be completed over the two work from home induction days?

Another thing, does anyone know where we pick up our uniform from? I have sent off the form but it didn’t mention where we get it?

hopefully get to meet some of you guys soon :)
I also start on the 29th as well :)

The onboarding stuff we all do together as a group / told what to do when we start.

The uniform I think we collect this from Atrium Court however I honestly don’t know but assuming.

agall2079

Sat my assessment today, not sure how it went but we were told we would find out by Thursday. Also we were all told to start preparing for interviews and try to speak to other conductor's. Overall I thought the scotrail staff were amazing today, they were interested and so helpful when I told them where I'd be going and where id been so fingers crossed I get a chance to join the team.

AG78UK

Sat my assessment today, not sure how it went but we were told we would find out by Thursday. Also we were all told to start preparing for interviews and try to speak to other conductor's. Overall I thought the scotrail staff were amazing today, they were interested and so helpful when I told them where I'd be going and where id been so fingers crossed I get a chance to join the team.
Well Done! I felt the exact same after my assessment, take this time now to do as they say and prep for a potential interview.

Ameria

I'm due to start my online induction this morning, but haven't been sent any joining instructions as yet - has anyone else received them yet? Sitting here with the laptop poised! :)

zilmed

Hey, just thinking of questions and answers, would you be so kind to expand on “new ways of working”? Like what kind of examples would you give? Is it where you had to learn something new or, where something went wrong and you had to get creative?

AG78UK

I'm due to start my online induction this morning, but haven't been sent any joining instructions as yet - has anyone else received them yet? Sitting here with the laptop poised! :)
Did you get in okay?

agall2079

Well passed my tests on assessment day :D. Got an email saying we will be intouch shortly regarding the next steps of the recruitment process.

AG78UK

Well passed my tests on assessment day :D. Got an email saying we will be intouch shortly regarding the next steps of the recruitment process.
Well Done! Definitely time to start prepping for your interview, as mentioned above ensure you use the STAR technique when answering your interview question.

• Situation - the situation you had to deal with
  • Task - the task you were given to do
  • Action - the action you took
  • Result - what happened as a result of your action and what you learned from the experience

agall2079

Thanks guys, yeah I'll start on practicing the STAR system. Just need to wait now, not sure how long that will be, seems some get a date quickly and others wait quite a while.

AG78UK

Scotrail are on a massive recruitment drive just now so it could be days or weeks before they offer an interview slot.

All progress in the right direction and the best of luck!