• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail Conductor applicants

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ange

Hello! I have applied for conductor at Aberdeen and have my assessment on Monday. I haven’t received my practice tests(checked all email folders) and have tried both emailing and phoning recruitment to get them sent, but to no avail. Just wondered if anyone would have them that could forward to me at all, I’d be really grateful! Thank You :)

Ameria

Thanks guys, yeah I'll start on practicing the STAR system. Just need to wait now, not sure how long that will be, seems some get a date quickly and others wait quite a while.
My interview was 2 days after the assessment centre! The assessment staff told us to start preparing for the interview straight away.

Hello! I have applied for conductor at Aberdeen and have my assessment on Monday. I haven’t received my practice tests(checked all email folders) and have tried both emailing and phoning recruitment to get them sent, but to no avail. Just wondered if anyone would have them that could forward to me at all, I’d be really grateful! Thank You :)
Hi Ange, congratulations on getting through to assessment. I got the practice booklet and might be able to forward it to you, if you want to PM me your email. I have to say though that none of the tests I practiced using the booklet were the same on the day. I did a lot of practice online using the OPC website free tests and I also bought a book from Amazon on the dots test, which had practice test symbols at the front, of the same type they used in the assessment centre. There are also links to free online Group Bourdon Tests elsewhere in this forum. Good luck!

I got my uniform and kit bag yesterday and I start at the training school on Monday for my rules or commercial training. So excited! :)

Last edited:

Ange

Firstly huge congratulations! That’s fantastic news, I bet you can’t wait!

Thank you so much for this information it’s hugely helpful & I really appreciate it! I can’t seem to DM but my email address is [email protected] :)

Just want to wish you all the best & good luck for your training!

AG78UK

Anyone who is here (Glasgow) for the conductor training tomorrow and are around the hotel need any help / directions just give me a shout!

Ameria

Firstly huge congratulations! That’s fantastic news, I bet you can’t wait!

Thank you so much for this information it’s hugely helpful & I really appreciate it! I can’t seem to DM but my email address is [email protected] :)

Just want to wish you all the best & good luck for your training!
Hi Ange, I'm so sorry - I've only just seen your message and as it is almost 11.30pm and your assessment is tomorrow, then there is no point in sending you the practice booklet. I hope you managed to find the online sources I told you about. At the assessment centre, they give you a practice run before each test, so you should hopefully be fine. I just wanted to come on and wish you the best of luck. Please come back and let us know how you got on. Fingers crossed for you! :)

Ange

Hi Ange, I'm so sorry - I've only just seen your message and as it is almost 11.30pm and your assessment is tomorrow, then there is no point in sending you the practice booklet. I hope you managed to find the online sources I told you about. At the assessment centre, they give you a practice run before each test, so you should hopefully be fine. I just wanted to come on and wish you the best of luck. Please come back and let us know how you got on. Fingers crossed for you! :)
Hi that’s no problem at all! Hope the training is going well! Thanks for your help :) Had my assessment on Monday and passed so just waiting for an interview date now! Hopefully will be soon!

AG78UK

Anyone aware of any Conductor opportunities coming up, especially in the West Highlands?

Cheers.
I believe the conductor role for Fort William has closed recently.

However keep an eye out for new opportunities

Ameria

Hi that’s no problem at all! Hope the training is going well! Thanks for your help :) Had my assessment on Monday and passed so just waiting for an interview date now! Hopefully will be soon!
Hi Ange, congratulations! Good luck with the interview. Let us know how you get on.

Charladenz

Evening all,

I wondered if anyone would/could kindly send me the training materials provided by ScotRail for the conductor assessment day please.

I have recieved the CSS document as an attachment with the Atrium Court info email but the resources that were supposed to follow...haven't. Just keen to make a start ahead of my trip to Glasgow.

Thanks.

Ameria

Evening all,

I wondered if anyone would/could kindly send me the training materials provided by ScotRail for the conductor assessment day please.

I have recieved the CSS document as an attachment with the Atrium Court info email but the resources that were supposed to follow...haven't. Just keen to make a start ahead of my trip to Glasgow.

Thanks.
Good luck. I hope it goes well. Practice as much as possible. I did the assessment booklet and free online tests with OPC (Google it) plus the train drivers' dots training from a book I got off Amazon, as well as the Group Bourdon tests online that are linked elsewhere on this forum. I also bought psychometric tests books from Amazon but didn't find those useful.

At the assessment centre, they also give you a practice run of each test and allow you to ask questions on the practice tests, so that's really useful. Mostly, it's about managing your nerves on the day. You will not finish the pages of the concentration test (pages of symbols that you need to identify and mark off). They do not expect you to finish that - they are looking for accuracy rather than completion.

For the other tests, such as the customer service one - they said you just select the answer you think is best. I queried this, because I said you might want to give the customer a new shirt, plus, tie, plus money off voucher (or whatever) but that might not be good for the business (which has to operate on a profit) but they said, "don't think about the business, just think about the best scenario for the customer." For the other tests, where they asked questions based loosely on rules, it is really difficult to complete them all in the time, but it is do-able. That said, the guy next to me said on the day that he didn't complete any of his tests and he still got through (I saw him at training), so just do what you can and try not to panic.

Best of luck! Let us know how you get on.

Kuksoolgirl

My interview was 2 days after the assessment centre! The assessment staff told us to start preparing for the interview straight away.

Hi Ange, congratulations on getting through to assessment. I got the practice booklet and might be able to forward it to you, if you want to PM me your email. I have to say though that none of the tests I practiced using the booklet were the same on the day. I did a lot of practice online using the OPC website free tests and I also bought a book from Amazon on the dots test, which had practice test symbols at the front, of the same type they used in the assessment centre. There are also links to free online Group Bourdon Tests elsewhere in this forum. Good luck!

I got my uniform and kit bag yesterday and I start at the training school on Monday for my rules or commercial training. So excited! :)
Hi, sorry I was wondering if you could please email them to me. I got word on Thursday past that I have the assessment on Thursday 21st, and although the email said they would send the sample tests on an accompanying email, they haven't as yet. I've emailed HR, but it looks like quite a common oversight.

Fat Pav

Anyone from this forum on the platforms at Central today watching the dispatch of the 0943 to Edinburgh?

Dross

Hi
I received notification on Thursday past that I have been invited to an assessment in Glasgow on the 21’s but I also have not got the conductor training booklet? I have emailed but no reply. Can somebody possibly forward it on to me too please? [email protected]

Fat Pav

Hi
I received notification on Thursday past that I have been invited to an assessment in Glasgow on the 21’s but I also have not got the conductor training booklet? I have emailed but no reply. Can somebody possibly forward it on to me too please? [email protected]
Check this post by me: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/scotrail-conductor-applicants.257197/page-4#post-6611852

Look for the Bourdon tool in the driver assessment threads on here and you can change this to SCAAT for symbols which is the assessment you’ll be doing first. It’s the only assessment worth practicing. The others are reading and answering questions.

zilmed

Two days virtually and then three weeks classroom
Oooh, thanks. Thought it was 3 weeks online and 3 weeks in classroom. My training was 12 weeks in classroom, so it's surprisingly short.

Hi
Sent.might want to check spam

Last edited:

Dross

Got it. Thank you

Hi, sorry I was wondering if you could please email them to me. I got word on Thursday past that I have the assessment on Thursday 21st, and although the email said they would send the sample tests on an accompanying email, they haven't as yet. I've emailed HR, but it looks like quite a common oversight.
Hey

Are you travelling to Glasgow on thursday? If you are heading down by train what one are you getting?

Dave

Last edited:

Kuksoolgirl

Got it. Thank you

Hey

Are you travelling to Glasgow on thursday? If you are heading down by train what one are you getting?

Dave
Yes, from inverness. Haven't looked at times yet tbh probably something around 7. What one are you getting, assuming your inverness too

Kuksoolgirl

Hey I know this is for a conductors job but I don't see no 7.55. Are you trying to sabotage my chances? Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240316_134228_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240316_134228_OneDrive.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 31

Borders1994

Right ok, so will LNER accept the email for travel? Getting into Glasgow at 1120 is a wee big risky. I might just go with the 0536, no rushing
As far as I know the email for complimentary travel is only valid for ScotRail services.

John Bishop

lol no. It’s the LNER that leaves at 7:55. Changes at Perth to head over to Glasgow
Don’t take that one, they might not/probably won’t accept your travel authorisation. Needs to be a Scotrail service. Only the 0755 that’s not Scotrail.