• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

route101

Established Member
The Parks Gold buses are being used on the now renumbered G services and being added in to the M10/90/92 timetables

Does that include Glasgow to Aberdeen?

I do like the panoramas , much better than a elite or a panther.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Still plenty of Parks Elites kicking around today on the M9/G9 service. The 08:00 Edin - Inverness and 1 of the other services to Aberdeen in the afternoon was a new Gold Panorama. Of course with all this you have the lucky pick from Stagecoach which can comprise of pretty much anything including one late morning service from Aberdeen to Glasgow being a Panther. There were 2 Megabus Panoramas on the M9 service today between Glasgow and Aberdeen. 1 more than usual. They do seem fairly scarce at the moment north of Glasgow giving that the Megabus fleet of Panos is maxed out with the current M11 services to London and the remainder being off for well deserved maintenance. That's the Megabus Panoramas 11 months old and have 150 - 170,000 miles on the clock

Does that include Glasgow to Aberdeen?

I do like the panoramas , much better than a elite or a panther.
Yes, there was one on it this afternoon. The allocations will likely interlink between Aberdeen and Inverness. I heard rumours there was initial teething problems today with the Gold Panos. This would explain why there were so many Parks Elites on the Aberdeen road today

Parks Gold Pano working 11:15 G9 Aberdeen - Glasgow. The story is one went out to Edinburgh yesterday to do a northbound working and failed. A replacement was sent out which also failed en route. Teething problems still there. No lesson learned from the first batch Cumbernauld received for the M11!

Last edited:

cammyeaston

That wouldn't be possible with health and safety regulations. Imagine the uproar if someone walked away without a siplet and spilled it over someone? Some Gold hosts are even funny about giving the drivers a hot drink

I've always liked the idea of self service of refreshments on such services. As much as I wouldn't want job cuts, it's always a loss making exercise.

The simple answer I think would be cold drinks only, which I don't think is unreasonable. There tends to be facilities to purchase hot drinks before boarding at the larger terminals. Perhaps, if they were intent on offering a complimentary hot drink as part of the fare, a deal could be struck with retailers at these terminals to provide customers with refreshments on production of their ticket.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've always liked the idea of self service of refreshments on such services. As much as I wouldn't want job cuts, it's always a loss making exercise.

The simple answer I think would be cold drinks only, which I don't think is unreasonable. There tends to be facilities to purchase hot drinks before boarding at the larger terminals. Perhaps, if they were intent on offering a complimentary hot drink as part of the fare, a deal could be struck with retailers at these terminals to provide customers with refreshments on production of their ticket.

As I've mentioned in a rail context, though, hot drinks are the "magic product" for sales on board. If you want cold drinks during a journey, you'll purchase them beforehand. Hot drinks have a habit of going cold unless you take a flask, which often doesn't taste so nice anyway.

route101

Established Member
As I've mentioned in a rail context, though, hot drinks are the "magic product" for sales on board. If you want cold drinks during a journey, you'll purchase them beforehand. Hot drinks have a habit of going cold unless you take a flask, which often doesn't taste so nice anyway.

Never got excited by the prospect of hot drinks on a coach. Or a piece of tablet.

Similarly cold drinks are unlikely to be cold !

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Booked the overnight M11 from Glasgow - London on Friday night. Does anyone know if theres a chance of a Citylink Panorama appearing? I think they look much nicer to the Megabus ones. I know for a fact this is definitely a panorama.

route101

Established Member
Should be a decker at least, was a van hool the last time I done overnight. I thought the Citylinks were not allowed South of Glasgow due to no crew rest but ive seen a picture of one in Manchester.

Least you wont have anyone next to you on coach but you may have someone diagonally behind you which I hate. Don't think I could take the overnight with someone next to me again !

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Should be a decker at least, was a van hool the last time I done overnight. I thought the Citylinks were not allowed South of Glasgow due to no crew rest but ive seen a picture of one in Manchester.

Least you wont have anyone next to you on coach but you may have someone diagonally behind you which I hate. Don't think I could take the overnight with someone next to me again !

When I booked it. The bus wasn't really selling out in terms of seats. However the 21:45 M20 was beginning to sell out a bit.

The Citylinks have made it down to Glasgow before, there's been cases of the 900 branded Panthers going that far down.

route101

Established Member
When I booked it. The bus wasn't really selling out in terms of seats. However the 21:45 M20 was beginning to sell out a bit.

The Citylinks have made it down to Glasgow before, there's been cases of the 900 branded Panthers going that far down.

Surprised the M20 would sell out from Glasgow, can imagine from Edinburgh it would.

Yes I had a Citylink Panther on a Dupe once, for Glasgow only passengers. Best avoided them.

Not sure on the differences between the Megabus and Citylink panoramas, must be similar inside?

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Booked the overnight M11 from Glasgow - London on Friday night. Does anyone know if theres a chance of a Citylink Panorama appearing? I think they look much nicer to the Megabus ones. I know for a fact this is definitely a panorama.
The likelihood is a Megabus Panorama but with 50408 away to Volvo this morning for warranty repairs it definitely increases the chances of something else being sent out. Over the past few weeks there have been 1 or 2 Astromegas sent out on the route but they are trying to keep the Megabus Panoramas on the correct workings more than ever due to them having seats removed to maintain social distancing. 29 seats in total are in use on them

Surprised the M20 would sell out from Glasgow, can imagine from Edinburgh it would.

Yes I had a Citylink Panther on a Dupe once, for Glasgow only passengers. Best avoided them.

Not sure on the differences between the Megabus and Citylink panoramas, must be similar inside?
From a drivers view the Citylink Panoramas are better. They have arm rests in the cab, far more power and the economy/performance button on the i shift gearbox hasn't been deactivated. From a passengers perspective the Citylink ones have better seat colours making them more welcoming and the tables downstairs have cup holders along with additional lighting on seatbacks. The toilet also has a baby changing board. The blue interior lights can be a tad overwhelming however. Citylink Panoramas have all interior seats in place so no additional legroom like on the Megabus ones

It is desirable to have the crew seat during disruption so the co driver can help with alternative routes but it isn't mandatory. You will find most drivers avoid the crew seat at all costs and take a seat with the passengers for a better rest area. The crew seat has a lot to be desired

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It is desirable to have the crew seat during disruption so the co driver can help with alternative routes but it isn't mandatory. You will find most drivers avoid the crew seat at all costs and take a seat with the passengers for a better rest area. The crew seat has a lot to be desired

Makes sense, ideally on vehicles like those the crew seat is there purely just for emergency situations and not for regular use, if anything i'm surprised they have a crew seat in the first place.

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Makes sense, ideally on vehicles like those the crew seat is there purely just for emergency situations and not for regular use, if anything i'm surprised they have a crew seat in the first place.
The crew seat wasn't designed correctly for the double man work to London. The size of the seat is smaller than a standard seat and you can't adjust the back whatsoever. You are also that low down you struggle to see where you are going. A mic should have been installed as well so the co driver can carry out safety announcements etc without disturbing the driver. Not to mention it gets fairly drafty at the door too. The Astromega's are the ultimate vehicles for the long haul. Such a shame we didn't get any more after the 66 plates

Last edited:

Swanny200

Are the newer Astromegas built like the older Trathens examples that used to do the NX590 and 592, I remember downstairs, you couldn't see out the front as they had a bulkhead and a door there so that the drivers compartment was enclosed (this was about 2000 iirc) made it a bit claustrophobic and if you were a non smoker near that bulkhead then you could still smell the cigarette smoke coming from the front everytime either the co-driver or stewardess came out of the door.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Does anyone remember seeing a timetable poster at Buchanan Bus Station for a Citylink bus to Blackpool?

I believe it left around 7am as a direct competitor with the NX542 which no longer runs I think.

Would this have been a Panther or a chartered bus?

route101

Established Member
Does anyone remember seeing a timetable poster at Buchanan Bus Station for a Citylink bus to Blackpool?

I believe it left around 7am as a direct competitor with the NX542 which no longer runs I think.

Would this have been a Panther or a chartered bus?

I think when ive seen it was a chartered bus. Same with NX542.

NX has really consolidated its services from Scotland in last few years. I remember Wrexham, Cardiff , Hull via Borders and Leeds via A65 running from Glasgow.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Just another question about the Panoramas. Since Megabus have taken seats out, would I be able to reach the seat in front of me to put a tablet or a drink down on what I assume would be a fold down table?

overthewater

Established Member
You should NOT BE eating or drinking while on these service and facemask must be kept on at all times.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
That's not made very clear on Megabus's (or Citylink's) website; it would put me off travelling with them, certainly.

Yes. I just looked on their Coronavirus FAQ's it mentions nothing about eating or drinking. Eating I can understand, but lowering your mask for less than a minute to have a drink shouldn't cause much trouble?

If you can do it on the trains with no issue, why not on the coach?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
You should NOT BE eating or drinking while on these service and facemask must be kept on at all times.
From Scottish Government guidance, "anyone who is eating, drinking or exercising" is exempt from wearing a face covering.

Unless Stagecoach/Scottish Citylink have adopted a blanket ban on the consumption of food and drink, of course, which I doubt highly, especially the latter.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
From Scottish Government guidance, "anyone who is eating, drinking or exercising" is exempt from wearing a face covering.

Unless Stagecoach/Scottish Citylink have adopted a blanket ban on the consumption of food and drink, of course, which I doubt highly, especially the latter.

I think they have, other than water if needed "on a hot day", but it really isn't made very clear and should be, as people need to make an informed choice on whether to use their services or not.

Scotrail314209

Established Member

It makes sense for eating, but drinking I don't see an issue with. Especially since the journey I'm doing is 8 hours, it'd be a bit awful if they banned drinking.

route101

Established Member

You can eat and drink, I did last month.

It makes sense for eating, but drinking I don't see an issue with. Especially since the journey I'm doing is 8 hours, it'd be a bit awful if they banned drinking.

I ate and drank regularly on megabus last month. I also do on Scotrail.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Realistically, who's going to be checking anyway? Yes there is a CCTV screen on the dashboard, but the driver should have their eyes on the road. Unless, of course, there is a maskivist onboard looking for trouble.

I might just point out that there's a whole thread - 160+ pages of it - in the Coronavirus sub-forum regarding the use of face coverings should anyone want to read it ;)

route101

Established Member
Just another question about the Panoramas. Since Megabus have taken seats out, would I be able to reach the seat in front of me to put a tablet or a drink down on what I assume would be a fold down table?

I never noticed any seats taken out.

overthewater

Established Member
Well its clear No one knows the rules, but I will say this shenanigans leads to shenanigans. What's to stop a whole coach taking off there mask and all start eating? Coach are not place to eat. I was on Scotrail train last week and the conductor (YES the person was not hiding in the cab) was out and told people off for eating.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Well its clear No one knows the rules, but I will say this shenanigans leads to shenanigans. What's to stop a whole coach taking off there mask and all start eating? Coach are not place to eat. I was on Scotrail train last week and the conductor (YES the person was not hiding in the cab) was out and told people off for eating.

In that case he is making up his own rules. Scotrail don't state that eating is banned, it does mention that you can remove your mask if eating or drinking, they've also reminded passengers on long distance services to bring their own refreshments as there is no catering provision.

So you think on big coach journeys you shouldn't have the ability to eat? Remember if passengers bring food it'll be cold food like crisps or sandwiches, something that wasn't banned on coaches anyway.

overthewater

Established Member
In that case he is making up his own rules. Scotrail don't state that eating is banned, it does mention that you can remove your mask if eating or drinking, they've also reminded passengers on long distance services to bring their own refreshments as there is no catering provision.

So you think on big coach journeys you shouldn't have the ability to eat? Remember if passengers bring food it'll be cold food like crisps or sandwiches, something that wasn't banned on coaches anyway.

In your case since your on the long haul express it might be possible etc etc to have something but surely people traveling around most express can wait 1-2 hours?