• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

Scotrail314209

Established Member
In your case since your on the long haul express it might be possible etc etc to have something but surely people traveling around most express can wait 1-2 hours?

Someone doing a run on the 900 is reasonable to wait, or maybe up to Perth or Dundee, I can agree on that. Nobody really eats on those buses anyway.

But going further north up to let's say Uig, you'd need something to eat as it's about 7 hours and I don't think Citylink do stops either.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Its not like some police officer is waiting and as soon as you take your mask to eat your arrested .

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Is somebody making up their own rules re food and drink on public transport or have the operators issued clear instructions on the subject ?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There is a dedicated section of the forum to discuss masks and other Covid restrictions. No more here, please.

route101

Established Member
Is the East Kilbride to Edinburgh Citylink service 904 still running?
Stopped last year. I used it back from Edinburgh a few times. Was a commuter express rather than a proper bus route. Always felt like an outsider on as the passengers and driver were pally, and when i said thanks to driver was blanked!

On paper a regular East Kilbride to Edinburgh service would be useful, maybe even starting back at Kilmarnock. Never used Citylink coaches, was Macleans or other Lanarkshire firm.

lastbus

Stopped last year. I used it back from Edinburgh a few times. Was a commuter express rather than a proper bus route. Always felt like an outsider on as the passengers and driver were pally, and when i said thanks to driver was blanked!

On paper a regular East Kilbride to Edinburgh service would be useful, maybe even starting back at Kilmarnock. Never used Citylink coaches, was Macleans or other Lanarkshire firm.
Parks operated the 904.

Scotrail314209

Established Member

I know moons ago, Stagecoach trialled an Ayr - Edinburgh bus which was axed after a few years due to low popularity. The bus had a giant decal of a panda on the front visor. I don't think a Kilmarnock - Edinburgh service would get much usage. If it did, it would mainly be pass holders using it to avoid going into Glasgow.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I know moons ago, Stagecoach trialled an Ayr - Edinburgh bus which was axed after a few years due to low popularity. The bus had a giant decal of a panda on the front visor. I don't think a Kilmarnock - Edinburgh service would get much usage. If it did, it would mainly be pass holders using it to avoid going into Glasgow.

That was the Edinburgh Zoo service, there was also one from Aberdeen that normally ran empty with passengers using the M92 instead!

route101

Established Member

Yes , I used that from East Kilbride, only ran once a day but didn't run at the crack of dawn like the 904. Didn't last long. There was a bus from Aberdeen too. Was 2012, felt like yesterday!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Looks like one of the Citylink buses has had a bit of an accident in Hope Street.

One of them has crashed into the scaffolding with local diversions in place, none of the passengers were injured as a result of the crash.

Judging from the very blurry picture on Glasgow Live, it looks like one of the Irizars were involved.

Butts

Veteran Member
Had a Daytrip to the Isle of Skye today from Glasgow using my "CD Pass" - £1 reservation fee all it cost.

Reservation - with 2 other passengers on the way up , what a laugh. Surprised they didn't substitute with a Minibus !!

At least you don't have to change in Fort William just the driver changes to go on to Uig.

A couple of Fag Breaks in addition to FW layover, Tyndrum and KOL on the way up and KOL and Crianlarich on the way down.

Best of all the sun was shining in Portree and you could have a Pint inside at the Bars.

The Jacobite was preparing to leave the adjacent Fort William Railway Station when we arrived....puffing away as I was on the concourse.

route101

Established Member
Had a Daytrip to the Isle of Skye today from Glasgow using my "CD Pass" - £1 reservation fee all it cost.

Reservation - with 2 other passengers on the way up , what a laugh. Surprised they didn't substitute with a Minibus !!

At least you don't have to change in Fort William just the driver changes to go on to Uig.

A couple of Fag Breaks in addition to FW layover, Tyndrum and KOL on the way up and KOL and Crianlarich on the way down.

Best of all the sun was shining in Portree and you could have a Pint inside at the Bars.

The Jacobite was preparing to leave the adjacent Fort William Railway Station when we arrived....puffing away as I was on the concourse.

Never done the 915 North of FW. Was busy when i did, not really cheaper than the train if not dearer. Must of been a long day. I know the day return fare to Skye from Glasgow is over £60.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Never done the 915 North of FW. Was busy when i did, not really cheaper than the train if not dearer. Must of been a long day. I know the day return fare to Skye from Glasgow is over £60.

Given the fact it takes you nearly 8 hours to get there, would there even be a point in paying that much?

Also says something when my return trip to London cost just over that..

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

South of FW it's a lovely journey, some bits are wonderfully bleak, one memory from doing the Sunday morning back to Glasgow (because that was the only way to get a day train back down South, the only winter Sunday train was too late to make any WCML connections) was of us going along one of the bleaker parts of the moorland when all of a sudden a couple of wild campers appeared out of nowhere and flagged us down.

I too have never gone past there, I've been to Skye but that was via train to Kyle and walking over the bridge.

route101

Established Member
Given the fact it takes you nearly 8 hours to get there, would there even be a point in paying that much?

Also says something when my return trip to London cost just over that..

I would buy a explorer pass at £49. Not sure if Citylink does advance fares on the route, never seen them.

£60 is dear for Megabus to London, though the prices have shot up with reduced capacity.

Butts

Veteran Member

Started on the 0524 X37 from Falkirk to Buchanan Street to join the 915 - 0645 to Skye.

Came back on the 1520 915 from Portree to Glasgow.

Then 2240 X24 to Forth Valley Hospital , connecting to the 2325 38 to Falkirk arriving home just before Midnight.

It was a long day but I had a few hours in Skye.

The 915 is a small coach and the best (front) seats are out of use, I was stretched out over the three right at the back by the Toilet. Two of them are out of use to others.

Thanks to my National Entitlement Card the whole journey cost a quid.

overthewater

Established Member
This has also gone past a few people but Citylink 900 has won the best bus service:

route101

Established Member
This has also gone past a few people but Citylink 900 has won the best bus service:

Must say i do like the new coaches on the 900, upstairs is nice and quiet. 900 does not have the silly afternoon peak restriction like the train, its frequent with turn and go service. It operates 24 hours day.

On the other hand, takes too long at peaks out of Edinburgh, took one hour to get to M8 other week, train is quicker (Cheaper off peak with rail card), advance fares only about £1.25 saving over £10 return if booked on Megabus.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Must say i do like the new coaches on the 900, upstairs is nice and quiet. 900 does not have the silly afternoon peak restriction like the train, its frequent with turn and go service. It operates 24 hours day.

On the other hand, takes too long at peaks out of Edinburgh, took one hour to get to M8 other week, train is quicker (Cheaper off peak with rail card), advance fares only about £1.25 saving over £10 return if booked on Megabus.

How much is a walk up return on the 900 if you were to buy on the day?

I do agree with the congestion coming out of Edinburgh, I did Lothian's 100 to the Airport and it took us forever to go from the City Centre, all the way through Corstorphine to the Airport.

route101

Established Member
How much is a walk up return on the 900 if you were to buy on the day?

I do agree with the congestion coming out of Edinburgh, I did Lothian's 100 to the Airport and it took us forever to go from the City Centre, all the way through Corstorphine to the Airport.

£10 walk up any time. Ive never bought advance fares, but when I've seen people use them , the drivers seem lenient to accept them onto earlier tickets. When i go to Edinburgh i don't know exactly what service im getting and coming back on.

I agree, the new coaches are very nice, excellent if you can get the front seat upstairs :D
It must just be peak-time congestion then, I've taken the 100 plenty of times (though only ever at the weekend) and fairly often it would only take about 20-25 minutes from Haymarket to the Airport.