• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seeing forum members unexpectedly

Established Member
My plan managed to match with @roversfan2001 's ALR well enough that we were able to meet up on a TPE 802 at York and go to Morpeth 'Spoons together.

Might be pushing the definition a bit as we did plan it, but only about 2 hours before the meet actually happened.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roversfan2001

Established Member
My plan managed to match with @roversfan2001 's ALR well enough that we were able to meet up on a TPE 802 at York and go to Morpeth 'Spoons together.

Might be pushing the definition a bit as we did plan it, but only about 2 hours before the meet actually happened.
And again, perhaps outwith the definition as we both knew we’d be here at the same time, but we just bumped into each other at Man Picc. :lol:

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Saw @island at East Croydon earlier today (was rushing for a train though so not sure if they saw me!)

Tramfan

@NorthOxonian I thought i'd seen you waiting for a Metro at Gosforth earlier this evening, though I wasn't certain - I'm guessing from your post in the mask thread that it was

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
@NorthOxonian I thought i'd seen you waiting for a Metro at Gosforth earlier this evening, though I wasn't certain - I'm guessing from your post in the mask thread that it was
If it was about half past five, then quite possibly! I'd have been wearing a brown jacket and carrying a white tote bag.

Tramfan

Yes it would have been around then! I was only browsing this thread the other day and thinking that I don't know what 99.99999% of the members of this forum look like, having only been on 1 forum meet so far.

D6130

Established Member
My wife and I will be boarding 1Z65, the 'Tornado'-hauled 14 55 SRPS special to Edinburgh via the S&C at York tomorrow, so I think that there's a fair chance that we may bump into one or two Forum members there....or even on board the train. Coach H, seats 29 F & B, if anyone's interested.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My wife and I will be boarding 1Z65, the 'Tornado'-hauled 14 55 SRPS special to Edinburgh via the S&C at York tomorrow, so I think that there's a fair chance that we may bump into one or two Forum members there....or even on board the train. Coach H, seats 29 F & B, if anyone's interested.
At that time I'll be heading outside for nearly four hours of sunshine, but I'll be working for most of that, so not able to see you off. (Incidentally, I have seen forum members at my workplace unexpectedly but that is not common)

Technically if anyone sees you as a result of this posting, it won't be 'unexpected', though if you see them, it would be unexpected for you ;)
Yes it would have been around then! I was only browsing this thread the other day and thinking that I don't know what 99.99999% of the members of this forum look like, having only been on 1 forum meet so far.
That's brilliant that after just attending one forum event you were still able to see a forum member :lol:

Established Member
Finally bumped into @158757 working a Hazel Groove service today. Although I did cause a slight unexpected delay to the train (after it had recovered time), as I waved at him at Levenshume and he didn't realise it was me and came down thinking someone was stuck in the toilet.
Oops (red face).

mikeg

Established Member
Bit of a late post but I saw @ainsworth74 in first class on the 2041 from York to Redcar central. I was heading home from work, he was heading from the retro railtour. We only recognised each other as I got off.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Bit of a late post but I saw @ainsworth74 in first class on the 2041 from York to Redcar central. I was heading home from work, he was heading from the retro railtour. We only recognised each other as I got off.
Yes hello! I think I must have been engrossed in my phone and with the seat back between us and lacking x-ray vision I didn't spot you!

mikeg

Established Member
Haha as I said fair enough, few of us can see through seats! Hope you enjoyed the railtour.

Established Member
I'm wondering if I've just bought a new railcard from a forum member at a GWR ticket office? Mentioned I travel a lot (the last railcard being issued in Manchester and the other bit of the wallet having a Glasgow-Kilmarnock ticket in it) and that I was on a rover at the moment, he said he also ticks off lines ect.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I saw and spoke to @jumble on the Metropolitan line last night, he was already on the train that I was boarding and on his way home from the veterinary practice with Summer the dog.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Where was the advert?
It’s in most of the broadsheets today. They wanted me to address the public using my “faux Yorkshireman” Northern Rail announcement voice so I’m seen doing so at the end. (I was also required to do imitations of Julie Berry, Phil Sayer and Elinor Hamilton which are played as the advert begins, on camera on the Instagram & TikTok version and off camera on the full version - not always easy with a broken voice)

ABB125

Established Member
It’s in most of the broadsheets today. They wanted me to address the public using my “faux Yorkshireman” Northern Rail announcement voice so I’m seen doing so at the end. (I was also required to do imitations of Julie Berry, Phil Sayer and Elinor Hamilton which are played as the advert begins, on camera on the Instagram & TikTok version and off camera on the full version - not always easy with a broken voice)
Do you have a link for the Instagram advert?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I very rarely post on here now, but sat next to @Xenophon PCDGS on a service between Manchester Piccadilly and Wigan North Western today. As we’d not met before introductions were not made until he was leaving the service.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I very rarely post on here now, but sat next to @Xenophon PCDGS on a service between Manchester Piccadilly and Wigan North Western today. As we’d not met before introductions were not made until he was leaving the service.
Hello again, Tom. It was good to see fellow website members and I noticed the Track Plans book you were making reference to. Another of your group @youngiecj has sent me a PM and I wonder if the third member of your party was also a website member?

youngiecj

Hello again, Tom. It was good to see fellow website members and I noticed the Track Plans book you were making reference to. Another of your group @youngiecj has sent me a PM and I wonder if the third member of your party was also a website member?
Sadly he isn’t. But good to meet you

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Although I was aware of several forum members that I know doing the opening day of the Elizabeth line today, I only actually bumped into one on an unarranged basis and that was @Hadders who was going on the up escalator at Farringdon whilst I was going on the down! I did however see @sftfan1909 on a TV report about the opening this evening.