• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ive just had to move two buttons on my new walking pants, so should be OK for my trips to Europe next week :( .

Yikes! Fingers crossed it's just a temporary thing and you'll be fine :) More importantly, because I know I'll forget in the meantime, have a great time in Europe!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway, Summer Diesel Gala. Saturday 2nd July 2022.

Back on home ground and the East Lancs Railway and its summer diesel gala. The railway always puts in a good event and this one was no exception. The East Lancs Railway really pulled out all the stops with lots of diesel locos on the menu for the 3-day event from the Thursday to Saturday.

Visiting locos
Class 20’s D8096 and D8107 (courtesy of LSL)
Class 26, 26007 (courtesy of Victor Korzeniewicz)
Class 37, 37703 (courtesy of Harry Needle Railroad Company)
Class 60, 60046 (courtesy of DC Rail)
Class 68 (courtesy of TransPennine Express)

Home Fleet,
Class 03, D2062
Class 09, 09024
Class 14, D9531 ‘Ernest’
Class 24, D5054 ‘Phil Southern’
Class 25, 25279
Class 28, D5705 on display in Bury Platform 1
Class 33, 33109 ‘Captain Bill Smith RNR’
Class 37, 37109
Class 40, D345
Class 42, D832 ‘Onslaught’
Class 45, 45108
Class 47, 47765
Class 50, 50015 ‘Valiant’
Class 104
Class 105 ‘Cravens’
Class 122 ‘Bubblecar’
Class 144 ‘Pacer’

Regular brake van rides took place throughout the event, there was so much variety each day.

Just when you think the East Lancs Railway can’t get any better, they do.
The day started off wet, but cleared up as the day moved on, I started by driving up to Ramsbottom for the viewing area and station, later moving down to Summerseat and then Burrs Bank and the station, Bury Bolton Street and returning to Ramsbottom. Great to catch up with a few old mates, and a great day, a big well done to all the staff involved for another fantastic and milestone event.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite the list there! I haven't been to the ELR since before the old T68 series trams were retired. I think I went in 2013, maybe 2014, I can't honestly remember. Certainly looks like it was an event I'd have liked to have done, maybe next year!

shredder1

Established Member
Quite the list there! I haven't been to the ELR since before the old T68 series trams were retired. I think I went in 2013, maybe 2014, I can't honestly remember. Certainly looks like it was an event I'd have liked to have done, maybe next year!
Well its my local of course, but they do have quite a selection of diesel locos these days.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester to Nottingham return. Saturday 9th July 2022.

With no events happening that interested me on Saturday, I decided to go after my EMT class 170`s, I needed two and they were working on the Newark Castle to Crewe diagram. I also needed my last Derby 156, (156 907), but it didn’t appear to be around. I was also interested in photographing the EMT class 180`s, but they all appeared to be parked up on Etches Park depot, so scope for another trip.

So, I was heading for Derby and Nottingham, on what was essentially a last-minute trip, sadly I could have planned it better, had I done so, I would have realised that due to engineering works the Hope Valley line was closed, but also the Midland main line between Sheffield and Derby, in hindsight I should have gone via Stoke on Trent into Derby, but never mind, it was a really hot beautiful sunny day and I was free to get out.

It was 05.40 and I was up and driving down to Cheetham Hill Metrolink station, with Rammstein blasting out on the CD player, (just the thing to keep the locals on their toes), for the first tram into Manchester Piccadilly at 06.07, arriving into Manchester in time for the 06.46 Transpennine class 185 to Sheffield, an hour and half ride via Huddersfield and Wakefield, so arriving into Sheffield for around 08.30.

A rail replacement bus, (well nice airconditioned coach to be fair), then took us from Sheffield to Derby, calling at Chesterfield on the way down. At Derby I was to be greeted by my last two EMT class 170`s, 170 530 heading from Newark Castle to Crewe and 20 minutes later 170 531 on a Crewe to Newark Castle working, so I caught to Nottingham.

I spent some time on Nottingham station, just photographing the local workings and also walked out to Eastcroft traction depot, but you can’t really get near this, the bridge over the east side of the station is the best view you can get. Quite a few on shed though, including at least one class 37 and a Colas class 56 in view.

I returned to Derby on a class 170 Cross Country service to Derby and noticed that my last Cross Country Voyager was due into Derby for 15.38 from the west country, so I decided to stay around and wait for her. In the mean time I took a bus into the bus station and had a pub lunch in Derby. Derby appears to be quite a smart city centre these days, with the modern bus station and shopping centre opposite, after a short walk around the city I returned by bus to the railway station in time for the arrival of Cross-Country Voyager 220 030 and was just in time to catch the rail replacement coach back to Sheffield.

On Sheffield station I caught up with one of the Cross Country HSTs departing North, and was on time for my class 185 Transpennine back into Manchester via Huddersfield scheduled for 16.58, but it was over half an hour down on departure, so another delay repay is due. I arrived home for just after 20.00, so a full and productive day and in glorious weather, so I couldn’t complain,

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice work on getting your last EMR 170s, and indeed that Voyager!

I have to agree, Derby is not the most exciting place but it is fairly smart. Nottingham is far nicer in my view, which reminds me that I said back in January I would go back for a full explore. That was quite a while ago, and I still haven't managed it!

shredder1

Established Member
Nice work on getting your last EMR 170s, and indeed that Voyager!

I have to agree, Derby is not the most exciting place but it is fairly smart. Nottingham is far nicer in my view, which reminds me that I said back in January I would go back for a full explore. That was quite a while ago, and I still haven't managed it!

Yes Nottingham has more going for it to be fair, the loss of Nottingham Victoria still hangs heavy in my heart though.

shredder1

Established Member
Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester. Monday 11th July 2022.

When I’m not away, Monday is my chilling day, so this morning I was up early and drove over to one of my gyms at Bury, a good work out on the old Triceps followed by a relaxing sauna.

Since we had another glorious day, I later decided on a drive over the Ashton Under Lyne railway station for a few photographs in its present state as it is due to be electrified this year apparently, so I thought Id best pay my last respects.

shredder1

Established Member
Crewe, DRS open day and Heritage Centre. Saturday 16th July 2022.

A trip out with my mate, “Onemanc”, we had free Northern tickets and also thanks to a very nice DRS driver, free tickets to the DRS open day at Crewe, we were very lucky really because I always forget to book in advance for these events.

A short drive up to Mills Hill railway station where I met up with “Onemanc” for the 07.50 into Manchester Victoria and then the tram across the city, to Manchester Piccadilly for a Northern train, all stopper class 323 into Crewe.

On arrival into Crewe, it was wall to wall cranks, spotters all over the place and it was great to bump into some old friends and meet a few new ones who had been subscribing to “Onemancs” On Track, YouTube channel, apparently, we were famous. After spending some time around the station and poking our lenses through the diesel depot gates, and avoiding the security bod, who apparently thought we were Russian spies, we made our way down to the even, the DRS open day at Gresty Lane.

The weather was glorious and extremely hot, and DRS again put on an amazing event, we are so lucky in the enthusiast world to have a company like DRS operating on our railways an all credit to them and the great work they carry out. All ticket payments go to a charity, a mere £5 to gain access, which in my opinion should be raised to £10, and even at that price, I’m sure those would sell out too.

The locomotives displayed were fantastic, a mixture of old and new and also plenty of stalls to supplement the event, both railway stalls, books and models, and food stalls, a lot of organisation must go on behind the scenes towards these events, and I look forward to the next one, so a really big well done to DRS. I was fortunate to meet up with many more friends on my visit, some of my European friends and travellers and some Facebook friends albeit very briefly in some case, but nice to meet up guys.

In the afternoon we walked from the DRS event to the Heritage Centre, calling in at a chippy en route. Some great displays and locos on the heritage site also, along with plenty of books and various items for sale, model railways and displays and the signal box roof viewing area over the main line to finish off, another great attraction for the town.

A free ride on a Routemaster bus took us back to the railway station and after another hour of so on the platforms, we caught another Northern class 323 back up to Manchester Piccadilly, this time catching one of the free buses across the city to Manchester Victoria and a train back to Mills Hill for the drive home, another fantastic day was had by all.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly. Monday 18th July 2022.

The hottest day of the year apparently, so I checked Realtime Trains and went into Manchester for my last Transpennine Nova 2, class 397, 012, which was due through Manchester Piccadilly at 10.25.

I arrived at the station for 09.00 and positioned myself on platforms 8 and 9, due the severe weather, (I presume that means it was raining in Manchester), a lot of services had been cancelled and Transpennines were only running as far as Preston, surprisingly my Nova 2, 397012, so much for Realtime Trains.

My next move was a drive to Bury for the gym and a sauna, which was actually cooler than it was outside.

shredder1

Established Member
North Manchester, Leeds, York NRM. Saturday 23rd July 2022.

Another day out with “Onemanc”, on a free friends and family Northern Rail ticket. We were generally heading out to York to visit the National Railway Museum, but made a few diversions along the way.

I met “Onemanc” at Mills Hill railway station again, but this time we were heading East, on a Manchester to Leeds service via Bradford Interchange, catching the 07.50 to Rochdale with a change for the Leeds service. I was intime for the Drax working though Mills Hill station again, another class 60 and at Rochdale we caught up with a Transpennine Nova 1 on diversion workings heading towards Manchester.

On arrival into Leeds, I was edging for breakfast, but “Onemanc” doesn’t eat a lot, so I grabbed a few bits from a Greggs on the way past. We had decided to catch a bus out to Midland Road, to see what was on shed, so it was a walk-through Leeds to the bus station and a good selection of buses pass Midland Road depot, so we were there in no time.

After a quick reccy around the depot, we returned to Leeds by bus and back onto Leeds railway station and just in time to catch up with one of the class 91`s still operating, “Durham Cathedral”.

We next boarded a Northern class 170 around the Harrogate line to York, a nice run and some of the stations are still original with plenty of signal boxes still in situ, a lovely line.

At York, A few locos were parked at the west end of the station which included two class 37`s and a class 47. No signs of any Transpennine Cats though, the Scarborough workings have been handed back to the Class 185`s now.

Our final location was the National Railway Museum, always plenty to see, so how many times I visit. We later returned to Leeds back around the Harrogate line and then back to Mills Hill via Bradford again, but without necessitating a change at Rochdale, and I was back in the house for around 20.00, quite a decent day out.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Certainly a decent little day out there. I'm disappointed I missed the chance to do a 68 to Scarborough, never been in the right place to do so. Still, I like 185s so that will do just fine :)

Your friend not eating a lot intrigues me, I wonder why that is.

87electric

68027 and 68030 worked Scarboroughs on the 23rd. They’re still working various bits and bobs.

shredder1

Established Member
Certainly a decent little day out there. I'm disappointed I missed the chance to do a 68 to Scarborough, never been in the right place to do so. Still, I like 185s so that will do just fine :)

Your friend not eating a lot intrigues me, I wonder why that is.

Sorry you missed them Tech, nice run from Liverpool to Scarborough. My mates just slim, hes more agile than me, so maybe I should eat less too, lol

shredder1

Established Member
68027 and 68030 worked Scarboroughs on the 23rd. They’re still working various bits and bobs.

I did forget to mention, we saw one of the Cats in Leeds on our way home, a DRS one though strangely and it was only going west as far as Stalybridge, so presumably it had come from Scarborough?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sorry you missed them Tech, nice run from Liverpool to Scarborough. My mates just slim, hes more agile than me, so maybe I should eat less too, lol

Ah it is what it is, after all unless you're in First Class you can't hear too much of the 68s anyway. I love 68s, they're really good fun to listen to, but compared to the days of droplights on MK3s with 68s it's just not the same. Front window behind a 68 making a huge racket, I'm mostly thinking about the departure from Marylebone here but I've just had the memory of them out of Edinburgh come to mind too :D As great as it is to have them on MK5 sets, it's just not the same, it's a bit like being on an HST. Fantastic to do one in the modern day, but it's not half as much fun as it used to be.

As for your friend, fair play to him in that case. I could stand to learn from him too, hopefully when I get back to my regular/frequent cardio sessions things will settle down again. Still not back to it yet after Covid, mentally I'm ready to go but the body is stopping me :( This has been a really poor month as a result, my least productive in probably 2 years!

xotGD

Established Member
I did forget to mention, we saw one of the Cats in Leeds on our way home, a DRS one though strangely and it was only going west as far as Stalybridge, so presumably it had come from Scarborough?
033 and 034 are part of the TPE pool, although nominally meant to step in when there is a shortage with the dedicated TPE liveried fleet. Since there is no chance of a shortage in the near future I suspect they are just being given their turn along with the rest of the fleet.

shredder1

Established Member
033 and 034 are part of the TPE pool, although nominally meant to step in when there is a shortage with the dedicated TPE liveried fleet. Since there is no chance of a shortage in the near future I suspect they are just being given their turn along with the rest of the fleet.

Thank you very much for that, appreciated.

shredder1

Established Member
Ah it is what it is, after all unless you're in First Class you can't hear too much of the 68s anyway. I love 68s, they're really good fun to listen to, but compared to the days of droplights on MK3s with 68s it's just not the same. Front window behind a 68 making a huge racket, I'm mostly thinking about the departure from Marylebone here but I've just had the memory of them out of Edinburgh come to mind too :D As great as it is to have them on MK5 sets, it's just not the same, it's a bit like being on an HST. Fantastic to do one in the modern day, but it's not half as much fun as it used to be.

As for your friend, fair play to him in that case. I could stand to learn from him too, hopefully when I get back to my regular/frequent cardio sessions things will settle down again. Still not back to it yet after Covid, mentally I'm ready to go but the body is stopping me :( This has been a really poor month as a result, my least productive in probably 2 years!

Yes I totally agree Tech, I too have a soft spot for the 68`s, nice to have loco hauled in the UK of course. Im 6 days a week at the gym at the moment, but yes its a big mental thing, and at times I have difficulty getting in, b8ut always glad once I have done. Im busy tomorrow so wont have time for training, so today Ill be doing a session shortly deltoids only, about an hour, and later this afternoon Ill be going to one of my other gyms for a bicep session about an hour, followed by a sauna, so a busy day.

shredder1

Established Member
Greater Manchester, and Saddleworth Saturday 30th July 2022.

Another day out with “Onemanc”, but this time in the car, we wanted to explore sections of the line between Ashton under Lyne and Stalybridge which are due to be electrified. We then intended to check out a few locations in the Saddleworth and Diggle areas and photograph the diverted Hope Sidings to Leeds Midland Road, convoy.

I picked up “Onemanc” around 10.00 am and we headed down to the local railway station, Mills Hill, as a few diverted Transpennine IET Nova 1`s were passing through Mills Hill railway station, so we were there again, An engineering train also passed through behind GBRf class 66732.

We then drove over to Ashton to photograph the station before the wires go up, and then caught up with two engineering trains between Ashton and Stalybridge, these were GBRf 66736 and 66768 which were involved with replacing the running lines, both views were accessible from overbridges along the line.

We next drove to Greenfield station where we met up with another mate, Stuart. After a few photographs of the Transpennine class 185 workings, we moved on to the crossing before Saddleworth viaduct, later covering various locations in the Diggle area, including the site of Diggle railway station which once sat to the entrance of Standage Tunnel`s western portal.

Two diverted Transpennine CAT`s Nova 3`s went past, 68029 and 68030, the Convoy with Freightliner green liveried 66603, 70014 and 66619, GBRf 66795 and class 60 on Drax, 60047. We later followed the old Micklehurst diversion track bed down to Butterhouse Tunnel and walked through it to the end, which is sadly blocked off, but goes in for about a quarter mile. It’s a shame they couldn’t open this up as a walkway/cycle track, it looks in good condition. An enjoyable day largely exploring though.

shredder1

Established Member
Walking Greater Manchester disused track beds. Saturday 6th August 2022.

A day walking and tracking down various former railway locations, that I hadn’t visited for many years. In addition, “Onemanc”, wanted to walk a section of the old Great Central track bed from Glazebrook up to Hindley Green, a section of line Id walked about 20 years previous, but it has since become so overgrown that parts of it are now unpassable as “Onemanc” found out to his peril.

I was driving the car, so dropped my mate off at the various sections along the track bed, and for myself I just walked the clear easy bits. “Onemanc” walked the first section of the line as it curved away from Glazebrook and the active Manchester and Liverpool railway line, and headed across towards the M62 Motorway, while I drove around to the Culcheth section and walked the linear part of the track bed to the Manchester and Liverpool Railway intersection where the Great Central railway bridge crossing the line had been removed many years ago, I then walked back to my car and waited for “Onemanc” to catch up.

We then drove around to Kenyon Junction on the LNWR alignment and then further along the same road to pick up the Great Central alignment from Culcheth to Lowton St Mary`s section, which was largely unwalkable, the vegetation was overwhelming in places, especially from the East Lancs Road railway under bridge back to Culcheth.

I left ”Onemanc” to traverse the next section to Plank Lane West Leigh, I knew it was a tricky section and he was stopped at the canal by the farmer, so I drove back for him and he walked the section in reverse to the canal. I didn’t much fancy the next section either so drove around to the site of Abram and Bickershaw railway station, and again “Onemanc” was diverted by another farmer and forced to walk out of his way again, so I went back again to pick him up. Nothing left of the railway station at Abram and Bickershaw, although the Queens Hotel, which served as a railway hotel, still stands next to the site, albeit its in private residence now and no longer operates as an hotel. I also had the opportunity of exploring the former site of Bickershaw Colliery, now converted into a large nature reserve, with some new housing in certain areas.

When I walked the Great Central line in this region some 20 years ago, I had a clear walk, with little difficulty following the alignment, although it was overgrown in sections, these days much of it has been taken over by farmland and parts of it are now private with embankments removed and the land returned to farming. “Onemanc” had however more or less walked the sections he was after, which finished at the side of Hindley Green HMP and then continues across Wigan Flashes to what use to be the Great Central terminus of Wigan Central, which is now under the Galleries, shopping complex.

I also wanted to check out a few locations on the former Bolton and Leigh Railway lines from Bolton Great Moor Street to Howe bridge, so I drove around to that location. One side of the bridge parapet at Howe Bridge still stands and steps have been put in place for walkers to climb on to top of the track bed, the old ticket office still stands, now part of residential premises in what was once the mining village, complete with original bathhouse, again now a private residence.

We next drove a round to Atherton Bag Lane station site, my memories are of walking down the embankment through a partly demolition railway station site to a point where the bridge had been removed. The entire site has now been lowered to street level and housing built on the station site, although the embankment beyond the station site is still at its original height and used as a walkway now. I was surprised to see the Railway Hotel was still standing, although not in use, but it looks like it is in some sort of preserved state.

From Atherton we drove up the areas which would have been parallel to the Chequerbent Incline to Daubhill and the site of the Daubhill Incline and station site of Rumworth and Daubhill, although the site has been infilled you can still clearly see both incline alignments and the tunnel tops, although in an overgrown state, they don’t appear to have altered or been developed on over the last two decades.

Generally, an interesting day out exploring old railway alignments and locations, and also getting some exercise in, in the process.

shredder1

Established Member
Lancashire Mining Museum, Astley Green. Sunday 7th August 2022.

I had a few hours to spare on Sunday afternoon, so decided to visit Ashley Green Mining Museum, somewhere Id not been too for years. It had changed a lot since I last visited, they have since laid a small 2-foot track network around the site and run mining locomotives hauling visitors, but these only run-on certain days, so I’ll need to revisit at some point. The museum has a collection of mining locomotives including a few standard gauge and a selection of machinery, plus the large engine house and large stationary engine which again only runs on certain days. The site is owned by Wigan Council and operated by volunteers, well worth a visit and entry is free.

shredder1

Established Member
Barrow Hill Roundhouse Celebrations 150+2. Saturday 27th August 2022.

First trip out back in the UK and Id forgotten about this event, so I gave “Onemanc” a ring and arranged to pick him up early on Saturday morning. I decided to drive over. We arrived just after 09.30, and it was glorious weather, we got in the queue in anticipation of a great event.

We weren’t disappointment, all the exhibits were well laid out, with classes D2996, (07012) and Class 02, D2868, along with Ex GWR 0-6-0-PT class 1500, 1501 giving trips down the head-shunt, but in coaches and brake vans respectively. The highlight for me was 67007 in its new purple livery, I thought it looked very impressive.

Nice to catch up with both old and new friends and a big well done to Barrow Hill roundhouse for putting on a classic event.

shredder1

Established Member
Cambrian and Tanat Valley Railways. Saturday 3rd September 2022.

I had a choice of events in the region on Saturday, the Llangollen Railway had a diesel event, the Welshpool and Llanfair Railway, had a steam event, but I opted for the Cambrian Railway who have recently increased the length of their railway by more than half and now have a full extension and facilities at Weston Wharf.

I’ve always had a bit of the soft spot for the Cambrian Railway and its history and can still remember Oswestry Works and depot from the stock books in the 1960`s, but I didn’t manage to travel down there, being a school boy on a limited budget. Fortunately, the old Works complex and original footbridge have all been preserved albeit in private use as shops and an hospital, I believe the old locomotive depot has now completely gone and the site is occupied by a wood yard, but the Cambrian (preservation) Railway are doing an amazing job of keeping the railway alive.

This would have been my third visit to the Cambrian Railway over a number of years, the first time I travelled down, was when the Railway had a small industrial steam loco running up and down the yard to the first bridge at Middleton Road in front of two guards’ vans. I revisited the Railway a few years later and it was still a case of guards-van rides, but the railway had then extended to the next bridge down, Gasworks Bridge. In April 2022, thanks to Corvid and non-running, the railway concentrated its efforts on opening to the line to Weston Wharf and what an amazing job they have done. With new stock, coaching stock now, plus two of the class 144 dmu`s, and a coach café facility and Stonehouse Brewery, who do an excellent pint by the way.

The Cambrian Railway have so much potential in the long term and in theory could open up from Gobowen through to Blodwel, they presently operate over a one-and three-quarter mile section, but also have a section at Llynclys South with just under a mile running to a halt further south. The next part of the plan is to join Weston Wharf to Llynclys, but this could be 20 or more years in the future though as this is a long-term project with a major road crossing to overcome.

I drove down to Oswestry, which took me around an hour and a half from Manchester. The first train out was at 11.00 to Weston Wharf and then half hourly throughout the day, I took one return trip, and although not a drinker, I did sample a half in Stonehouse brewery, before catching the next service back to Oswestry, so new track for me. The railway was operating class 144006 and also have 144007, it is also the home of class 73, E6036 also, which sadly wasn’t running on my visit.

After a visit to the excellent Cambrian Museum at Oswestry, I collected the car and drove down to Llynclys South, the other section of the Cambrian Railway, although it wasn’t operating at present, as all the efforts of the society had been channelled towards opening up the Weston Wharf extension.

While I was in the area I visited another nearby railway, the Tanat Valley Light Railway, not open for public running at the moment, but the owners did have quite a good selection of rolling stock and track machinery. Which included, three class 143 dmus, 143601, 616 and 619, plus a class 309 emu, 309616, formerly of Clacton depot and rescued from the Electric Railway Museum, Coventry. A number diesel shunters and various track machines also occupy the site. It does look like a lot of work needs doing on the railway though, before it would be open to the public, with one station platform in place at Nantmawr. The railway is set in a beautiful valley and I do hope they reopen to the public at some point in the future, although I was told only a team of 5 volunteers are presently working on the project, which also includes the addition of a narrow-gauge line at Nantmawr.

I returned to Weston Wharf and took the last return trip of the day back to Oswestry and back, before driving back to Manchester. It had been a very enjoyable visit.

Cambrian Railway websites,

Cambrian Railway Llynclys section,

Tanat Valley Railway website,

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
The railway was operating class 143006 and also have 143007,
Sounds like a lovely day out....I've been meaning to visit Oswestry for a few years now - not only for the heritage railway interest, but also because an old friend of mine runs an excellent pub there - but I've never got around it yet with spending so much time in Italy these days. At the risk of seeming pedantic, I would just point out that the two Pacer units at Oswestry are 144s....006 & 007. ;)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Cambrian and Tanat Valley Railways. Saturday 3rd September 2022.

I had a choice of events in the region on Saturday, the Llangollen Railway had a diesel event, the Welshpool and Llanfair Railway, had a steam event, but I opted for the Cambrian Railway who have recently increased the length of their railway by more than half and now have a full extension and facilities at Weston Wharf.

I’ve always had a bit of the soft spot for the Cambrian Railway and its history and can still remember Oswestry Works and depot from the stock books in the 1960`s, but I didn’t manage to travel down there, being a school boy on a limited budget. Fortunately, the old Works complex and original footbridge have all been preserved albeit in private use as shops and an hospital, I believe the old locomotive depot has now completely gone and the site is occupied by a wood yard, but the Cambrian (preservation) Railway are doing an amazing job of keeping the railway alive.

This would have been my third visit to the Cambrian Railway over a number of years, the first time I travelled down, was when the Railway had a small industrial steam loco running up and down the yard to the first bridge at Middleton Road in front of two guards’ vans. I revisited the Railway a few years later and it was still a case of guards-van rides, but the railway had then extended to the next bridge down, Gasworks Bridge. In April 2022, thanks to Corvid and non-running, the railway concentrated its efforts on opening to the line to Weston Wharf and what an amazing job they have done. With new stock, coaching stock now, plus two of the class 143 dmu`s, and a coach café facility and Stonehouse Brewery, who do an excellent pint by the way.

The Cambrian Railway have so much potential in the long term and in theory could open up from Gobowen through to Blodwel, they presently operate over a one-and three-quarter mile section, but also have a section at Llynclys South with just under a mile running to a halt further south. The next part of the plan is to join Weston Wharf to Llynclys, but this could be 20 or more years in the future though as this is a long-term project with a major road crossing to overcome.

I drove down to Oswestry, which took me around an hour and a half from Manchester. The first train out was at 11.00 to Weston Wharf and then half hourly throughout the day, I took one return trip, and although not a drinker, I did sample a half in Stonehouse brewery, before catching the next service back to Oswestry, so new track for me. The railway was operating class 143006 and also have 143007, it is also the home of class 73, E6036 also, which sadly wasn’t running on my visit.

After a visit to the excellent Cambrian Museum at Oswestry, I collected the car and drove down to Llynclys South, the other section of the Cambrian Railway, although it wasn’t operating at present, as all the efforts of the society had been channelled towards opening up the Weston Wharf extension.

While I was in the area I visited another nearby railway, the Tanat Valley Light Railway, not open for public running at the moment, but the owners did have quite a good selection of rolling stock and track machinery. Which included, three class 143 dmus, 143601, 616 and 619, plus a class 309 emu, 309616, formerly of Clacton depot and rescued from the Electric Railway Museum, Coventry. A number diesel shunters and various track machines also occupy the site. It does look like a lot of work needs doing on the railway though, before it would be open to the public, with one station platform in place at Nantmawr. The railway is set in a beautiful valley and I do hope they reopen to the public at some point in the future, although I was told only a team of 5 volunteers are presently working on the project, which also includes the addition of a narrow-gauge line at Nantmawr.

I returned to Weston Wharf and took the last return trip of the day back to Oswestry and back, before driving back to Manchester. It had been a very enjoyable visit.

Cambrian Railway websites,

Cambrian Railway Llynclys section,

Tanat Valley Railway website,

I went past Oswestry yesterday en-route to Brecon, probably at a similar time to you!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Great news to hear that heritage railway is doing well, I shall have to make a point of visiting some time :) Nice and easy to get to from here, and Oswestry has been on my list of places to pop into on a cycle tour so I will be quite happy to combine the two. I'm unable to go for a while yet, I'll keep it in mind though!

shredder1

Established Member
Sounds like a lovely day out....I've been meaning to visit Oswestry for a few years now - not only for the heritage railway interest, but also because an old friend of mine runs an excellent pub there - but I've never got around it yet with spending so much time in Italy these days. At the risk of seeming pedantic, I would just point out that the two Pacer units at Oswestry are 144s....006 & 007. ;)

Yes well worth a visit, thanks for the pacer info Ill change it, cheers.