• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

shredder1

Established Member
Great news to hear that heritage railway is doing well, I shall have to make a point of visiting some time :) Nice and easy to get to from here, and Oswestry has been on my list of places to pop into on a cycle tour so I will be quite happy to combine the two. I'm unable to go for a while yet, I'll keep it in mind though!

Well worth a visit Tec.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
A Yorkshire Drive. Saturday 10th September 2022.

I was in the car again this weekend and heading for the Middleton Railway event, Leeds, a lovely little railway that I usually support on gala days. It’s also convenient for Midland Road Freightliner depot, so that was my first port of call. I took my usual snaps through the fencing before driving around to the Middleton Railway. I parked up in the yard and checked the times of the first train on my phone, but the event came up as cancelled, I couldn’t believe it, Id had it in my diary for a while and was looking forward to it. I spoke to a member of staff who was on site, and he told me he only found out on Thursday that it had been cancelled, and they had no trains running, not sure what happened, I’m awaiting a reply from them. So, I was stuck.

I checked on my phone to see if I could save the day and it was a toss-up whether to go to the Worth Valley or the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Railway, both were operating normal running days. I decided on a drive up to latter as I hadn’t been there for a few years. I arrived just intime for the first train out at 10.30, and I was lucky to get a seat has they had a few coach trips visiting. I bought a day rover ticket, only one train was running behind Aspinall 0-6-0 ex Lancashire and Yorkshire freight loco 52322 a magnificent locomotive, so well worth the drive up there.

I travelled up to Bolton Abbey on this first train out, nice to see the second platform underway at Bolton Abbey, it will make a big difference to the location. I then returned to Embsay on the next service. I asked permission at Embsay locomotive depot at the cabin, and was taken around by a lovely young lady volunteer, thank you, this enabled me to photograph the locomotives that were not accessible from public areas, so it was a great privilege. The Embsay and Bolton Abbey Railway has an excellent collection of both steam and diesel locomotives, they also have a DSB Danish sleeping coach on site, and have recently built a new carriage shed at Embsay, so the railway is making some excellent progress and I can certainly recommend a visit to this lovely part of the Yorkshire Dales.

After my depot visit, I returned to Embsay station to take some more photographs around the site and purchased a few books to support the railway, followed by a coffee in the café. I next wanted to ride out to the intermediate station on the line, Holywell Halt, it’s a station not accessible from a road and also a request stop, so I arranged with the guard to be dropped off to enable a few photographs of the halt and the train arriving and departing, I was told to put my hand out when I wanted to stop the train for my return journey. After a pleasant half hour looking around the halt, I flagged down the next train and returned again to Embsay and took a few final photographs of various diesel shunting moments before leaving the railway after a very worthwhile visit.

Because I was in the region, I decided to drive up to Swinden Quarry, near Grassington, to see the large shunting locomotive, Doncaster built 6w-6w Diesel Hydraulic “Cracoe”. I was surprised to see her parked up at the entrance of the quarry, but without bogies, as apparently, she had gearbox issues, bearings, so has been sent off site for repair, lovely to see this one-off locomotive again though. The gates to the quarry were open so I drove in and followed a sign that said visitors centre, but it was closed, I presume this is open to the general public normally.

So, the day didn’t turn out too badly despite the Middleton Railway event being cancelled. I returned home via Burney and Bury, so more mileage than I intended to drive, but a good day out all the same.

Embsay and Bolton Abbey Railway

Swinden Quarry

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway, Autumn Diesel Gala. Saturday 17th September 2022

I was back on home ground this Saturday, on the East Lancs Railway to visit the second day of the autumn diesel gala. I’m really so lucky to have a railway like this literally on my doorstep and have the greatest respect for those who volunteer year in year out to keep the railway running. The weather was glorious for September and I had a mixture of track walking and a little riding.

Locomotives and railcars operating

• Class 68, 68030 “Black Douglas” – Appearing courtesy of TransPennine Express and Direct Rail Services
• Class 14, D9531 “Ernest”
• Class 24, D5054 “Phil Southern”
• Class 25, 25279
• Class 26, 26007 – Appearing courtesy of Victor Korzeniewicz
• Class 33, 33109 “Captain Bill Smith”
• Class 37, 37109
• Class 40, D345
• Class 42, 832 “Onslaught”
• Class 45, 45108
• Class 47, 47765
• Class 50, 50015 “Valiant”
• DMU, Class 105
• Pacer, 144009

I visited the stall on Bury Bolton Street, lovely to catch up with a few old friends from my volunteering days on the railway. I also treated myself to a Silver Fox Metrovic Co-Bo Class 28 00-gauge model for the collection. I still have fond memories of the Co-Bo`s operating around the Manchester area, and used to have the Hornby version as a child, the East Lancs Railway has the last example of a class 28, presently being renovated. It will be marvellous to see one operating again.

I must admit the highlight of the event for me was the visiting Transpennine Cat, nice to see one on East Lancs metals. A really big well done to all the staff at the East Lancs Railway for putting on another excellent railway event.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway, Sunday 18th September 2022.

A spare afternoon, I’d been to the gym in the morning and then for a pub lunch. The weather had changed a bit by the Sunday, but it wasn’t really too bad, with a few sunny spots. So, I drove back up to Bury. The Standard 4 tank 2-6-4T 4MT 80097 was working the Diner Train and Class 37109 and class 50015 were operating the diesel service, on the steam service was ex GWR Collett 0-6-2T 5643.

East Lancs stalwart and guard David Leyland was on the diesel service and told me that the Transpennine Cat class 68030 “Black Douglas”, was due out to join his train in the afternoon, after photographing it joining the train, I drove up to Ramsbottom to take a few more pictures as the three loco train passed through the station. So, an afternoon well spent and the opportunity to capture a few more images of the Cat before it left the East Lancs railway.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Cambrian and Tanat Valley Railways. Saturday 3rd September 2022.

I had a choice of events in the region on Saturday, the Llangollen Railway had a diesel event, the Welshpool and Llanfair Railway, had a steam event, but I opted for the Cambrian Railway who have recently increased the length of their railway by more than half and now have a full extension and facilities at Weston Wharf.

I’ve always had a bit of the soft spot for the Cambrian Railway and its history and can still remember Oswestry Works and depot from the stock books in the 1960`s, but I didn’t manage to travel down there, being a school boy on a limited budget. Fortunately, the old Works complex and original footbridge have all been preserved albeit in private use as shops and an hospital, I believe the old locomotive depot has now completely gone and the site is occupied by a wood yard, but the Cambrian (preservation) Railway are doing an amazing job of keeping the railway alive.

This would have been my third visit to the Cambrian Railway over a number of years, the first time I travelled down, was when the Railway had a small industrial steam loco running up and down the yard to the first bridge at Middleton Road in front of two guards’ vans. I revisited the Railway a few years later and it was still a case of guards-van rides, but the railway had then extended to the next bridge down, Gasworks Bridge. In April 2022, thanks to Corvid and non-running, the railway concentrated its efforts on opening to the line to Weston Wharf and what an amazing job they have done. With new stock, coaching stock now, plus two of the class 144 dmu`s, and a coach café facility and Stonehouse Brewery, who do an excellent pint by the way.

The Cambrian Railway have so much potential in the long term and in theory could open up from Gobowen through to Blodwel, they presently operate over a one-and three-quarter mile section, but also have a section at Llynclys South with just under a mile running to a halt further south. The next part of the plan is to join Weston Wharf to Llynclys, but this could be 20 or more years in the future though as this is a long-term project with a major road crossing to overcome.

I drove down to Oswestry, which took me around an hour and a half from Manchester. The first train out was at 11.00 to Weston Wharf and then half hourly throughout the day, I took one return trip, and although not a drinker, I did sample a half in Stonehouse brewery, before catching the next service back to Oswestry, so new track for me. The railway was operating class 144006 and also have 144007, it is also the home of class 73, E6036 also, which sadly wasn’t running on my visit.

After a visit to the excellent Cambrian Museum at Oswestry, I collected the car and drove down to Llynclys South, the other section of the Cambrian Railway, although it wasn’t operating at present, as all the efforts of the society had been channelled towards opening up the Weston Wharf extension.

While I was in the area I visited another nearby railway, the Tanat Valley Light Railway, not open for public running at the moment, but the owners did have quite a good selection of rolling stock and track machinery. Which included, three class 143 dmus, 143601, 616 and 619, plus a class 309 emu, 309616, formerly of Clacton depot and rescued from the Electric Railway Museum, Coventry. A number diesel shunters and various track machines also occupy the site. It does look like a lot of work needs doing on the railway though, before it would be open to the public, with one station platform in place at Nantmawr. The railway is set in a beautiful valley and I do hope they reopen to the public at some point in the future, although I was told only a team of 5 volunteers are presently working on the project, which also includes the addition of a narrow-gauge line at Nantmawr.

I returned to Weston Wharf and took the last return trip of the day back to Oswestry and back, before driving back to Manchester. It had been a very enjoyable visit.

Cambrian Railway websites,

Cambrian Railway Llynclys section,

Tanat Valley Railway website,

I was there the weekend after you Nick. In the area for a weekend of trains with my Dad and we popped in on the way from Llangollen to Llanfair. I was very pleased that we did though because there was more there than I expected really.

Unfortunately we didn’t have time to do much more than a quick ride to Weston Wharf and back but it was a very interesting place to visit and they had an open day going on so the 73 was trundling about as well.

C889FFCE-654B-4C78-BD1F-DB0C4813A930.jpeg

07FF3167-3E5F-40BA-B8AF-0A1921565B88.jpeg

shredder1

Established Member
Nice one mate, hope your keeping well, long time no see, yes the extension has really done the railway justice, I see you got the class 73 also, I missed out on that, it was just parked up on my visit.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nice one mate, hope your keeping well, long time no see, yes the extension has really done the railway justice, I see you got the class 73 also, I missed out on that, it was just parked up on my visit.

Yes all good thanks mate. Unfortunately we didn’t have time to take the 73 as we were only there for an hour but what a fascinating area for abandoned railways? There’s lines all over the shop! :lol:

shredder1

Established Member
Yes all good thanks mate. Unfortunately we didn’t have time to take the 73 as we were only there for an hour but what a fascinating area for abandoned railways? There’s lines all over the shop! :lol:

Yes a very historic railway centre, Oswestry was the home to the Cambrian Railway of course.

shredder1

Established Member
Cheshire Day Rover. Saturday 24th September 2022.

One of my cameras went down a few weeks ago, so I sent it in for repair and got it back on Friday, the autofocus had gone on one of my D810`s. So I took it to Fixation who have a Manchester shop and apparently have ex Nikon engineers. To cut a long story short I got the camera back on Friday evening at a cost of £488, expensive, but it should give me a few more years usage, So I went out for a run around, on a Cheshire Rover to trial it. The pictures came out fine, but the figures in the viewfinder are not showing up now, so Ill have to take it back to the shop tomorrow, the joys of photography.

I woke up Friday morning with a tickly throat and blocked nose, I rarely get colds, but I wasn’t going to let it stop me getting out on Saturday, so I took a Lemsip and had a session in the gym Friday night, followed by a sauna, and didn’t feel too bad on the Saturday. I caught an early tram down to Manchester Piccadilly and purchased a Cheshire Day Rover ticket £17 on a railcard, only I handed my old railcard over the counter and the ticket seller kept it, I explained I save them, but she wouldn’t let me have it back, how sad. Anyway, I gave her my new Railcard and bought the ticket.

My first train out was a class 158 to Liverpool Lime Street courtesy of East Midland Trains. I was then down the tunnels and heading out to Kirkdale to check out the new class 777 status, still a few parked up on a shed and still being trailed midweek apparently, but I’ve still not seen one running. I then boarded a class 507 out to Kirkby to see the new developments taking place, the station is soon to be redoubled for the new Headbolt Lane development, thus making Kirby an intermediate station then, and the new Headbolt lane being the end of the Merseyrail network and a new connection with the Wigan line.

From Kirkby I returned to Liverpool Central and caught a train down to Chester, and copped two of the new TFW Class 197 dmus on trial. I then caught a London bound twin Avanti Voyager set to Crewe. A good select of LMR celebrity electrics around the station and on shed and I caught up with the TFW premium intercity Class 67 returning to Holyhead empty stock.

I returned to Liverpool Lime Street from Crewe on an Avanti Pendolino, changing for a Transpennine Nova 1, Class 802 back to Manchester Victoria and then the Metrolink tram to Crumpsall for the car. A nice chilled out date, but a disappointment over the camera, I’m hoping they can sort it out tomorrow.

shredder1

Established Member
Ribble Steam Railway, Steam Gala. Saturday 1st October 2022.

Another relatively local event for me and a railway I enjoy visiting. Its less than an hour’s drive up the M61, and the staff are always very welcoming. The Ribble Steam Railway is quite unique for a preservation operation in that it’s the only one with a working swing bridge to give boats access into Preston Dock, while the railway also holds a contract with Total UK, Bitumen Tankers. Using preserved Sentinel diesel locomotives on the railway to take tanks from the Bitumen company to an exchange siding, for collection by mainline locomotives to take the tankers to Lindsey Oil Refinery.

It was a reasonably good day for the 1st of October, I was up and on the road for 08.30, arriving at Preston Docks an hour later and succumbing to a McDonalds pancake breakfast, (I know I shouldn’t). I drove to the swing bridge to capture the first shots of a recreated freight train which left Preston Riverside station at 10.15, this was led by the magnificent Lancashire and Yorkshire 0-4-0 Pug tank number 19, while to the rear was Grant Richie built 0-4-0 ex industrial Saddle Tank number 272.

The highlight of the show for me was the truly amazing FR20, Furness Railway, the Sharp Stewart 0-4-0 tender locomotive, a true relic from the pre grouping era, it was so amazing to see this locomotive running. I visited a number of locations along the line and was also given a tour of the workshops. The sun was intermixed with cloud throughout the day, with light rain in the morning. I also had a few rides up and down the branch, and even saw the swing bridge operate, for the first time, I might add. A true gem of a railway and a fantastic gala, a big well done to all at the Ribble Steam Railway.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway. Sunday 2nd October 2022.

Sunday morning and I was up early for a session at the gym, and then my sunday roast in a local pub. I had afternoon spare, and my shutter finger was itchy, so I decided to have a ride up to the East Lancs, didnt realise it was Thomas Weekend, Nice to see the next generation of trainspotters going through the ranks. I at last managed to see Sentinel Works No 7232 "Ann" 0-4-0 VBGT in steam which had been shunting in and out of the platforms.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A rather busy weekend, that line in Preston sounds interesting. One day I will actually get to all these fascinating lines!

shredder1

Established Member
Keighley and Worth Valley Railway. Saturday 8th October 2022.

I must confess, that due to my ever-increasing memory loss, I totally missed the fact that there was a rail strike on this Saturday. Alarm set at 03.30, I drove down to Piccadilly station for the 05.11, (I was hoping to go on a West Midlands Day Rover). Manchester Piccadilly railway station however was locked up, staff later came out and told us about all the cancellations and the rail strike, so that was it, I needed another plan.

I’m not a great believer of striking for conditions and pay, if I’ve every been in a job I don’t like, I’ve simply left and found a job I do like, I don’t feel its right to hold the country at ransom, if you are not happy about the way your job is going, especially if its public funded, rant over.
So, faced with the rail strike, I jumped back into the car, drove home, regrouped, and then drove over the hill to the Keighley and Worth Valley railway.

It was a non-event day, but I have a membership, lineside pass and free passes for travel, so it was a good fall-back plan. One of the West Highland Black 5`s had arrived at the railway, 44871, which incidentally was one of the last to run on BR. The class 101 railcar was also operating, added to this the weather was great for an October day, so everything came together nicely.

My first stop was Haworth sheds, and one of the lads let me have a look around as dawn was breaking. I then drove down to Ingrow West and parked up for the day. My first ride was on the class 101 dmu down to Keighley and then to the top of the line at Oxenhope, I then returned to Haworth for another shed visit, but this time in the sunshine.
My next train was the Black 5 back up the line to Oxenhope, returning on her to Keighley for some trackside action shots of her climbing out of Keighley. I returned to Ingrow West on the next class 101 dmu service, and had a look in at the museum book shop. I later caught the next trip on the class 101 dmu up to Oakworth, where I walked up the track bed to the viaduct to get a few photographs of the returning dmu and then the Black 5, while the sun was still out.

I returned down the track bed to Oakworth and caught the returning Black 5 to Ingrown West to collect the car, before driving back over the moors to the right side of the mountain, its had been a long but satisfying day, despite the initial hick up.

xotGD

Established Member
Well our paths certainly crossed yesterday as I was also at the KWVR.

Always great weather this side of the Pennines!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well our paths certainly crossed yesterday as I was also at the KWVR.

Always great weather this side of the Pennines!

My adventure in West Yorkshire last year begs to differ! :lol: That was quite the soaking on the ride from Steeton and Silsden to Bradford via the hills, never mind the lightning! Yet earlier in the day it had been significantly better!

xotGD

Established Member
My adventure in West Yorkshire last year begs to differ! :lol: That was quite the soaking on the ride from Steeton and Silsden to Bradford via the hills, never mind the lightning! Yet earlier in the day it had been significantly better!
Ah, but you would have been even wetter in Manchester!

shredder1

Established Member
Chasewater Valley Railway. Saturday 15th October 2022.

Even more confusion in my old age. I had been meaning to attend the Chasewater Valley coal train event for over 3 years or more now, but each time I attempted, something went wrong. The first time I’d put the event in my diary a few months prior, I drove down there from Manchester, sat outside the gates for some time and when staff arrived, I found out that the event had been cancelled and that no trains were running that day. I missed the next event due to being in Europe at the time, and for the next event, I missed the advertising and had been to another railway event on the Saturday. The event this weekend was missed again, when I had my dates mixed up and arrived a day too early, but as it happened, I landed lucky and got to see some, behind the scenes work and also had the great privilege of being invited to join the National Wagon Preservation Group who happened to be having their AGM at the time of my visit.

I had the alarm set for 05.30, I was in the car again driving down to the Chasewater Valley in Brownhills in the Midlands. It normally takes me about two hours to get down there with a break for breakfast on the journey, I’m not a great fan of driving these days, but the last time I visited, I took the train to Birmingham and then a bus out to the railway, which also involved some walking, so I’ve learned that driving down to the Chasewater Valley Railway is my best option. This would have been my fifth visit to the railway.

I arrived outside the gates for around 08.00, but was surprised to find it all locked up with no one around, I recheck the website and realised I’d made a mistake and come a day early. My own East Lancs Railway had the Lancashire and Yorkshire steam gala on the Saturday and I did debate on whether to run back up to Manchester and attend that one, but instead I decided to stay and at least get a brew when the café opened.

Two working members arrived at the car park, who were members of the National Wagon Preservation Group, I explained that I had my dates mixed up, but they told me that they were members of the National Wagon Preservation Group and by chance having their AGM on the railway and taking a loco out behind their rake of MGR wagons. The locomotive they were using was Hunslet hybrid DH 9000, which was kindly donated by Sellafield Limited, who have replaced it with a new Class 18 Clayton CBD80 locomotive. Also shunting on the day was Bagnall/RSH 0-4-0 “Myfanwy”. Amazingly I was invited along with the group, I really couldn’t believe my luck, and what a lovely bunch of guys too.

We had a couple of runs along the full length of the line, from Brownhills West, (which is the main base, locomotive sheds and works), to Chasewater Church Street, (the other end of the line), being dropped off at various locations for photoshoots. Although little bits of rain throughout the day, for the most time we had some amazing sunshine, which was great for photography. The first trip was in two guards’ vans, complete with hot stoves burning away, as it did get a little nippy at times.

We collected the rake of MGR wagons from Chasewater Heath station yard and after a few photoshoots, arrived back into Brownhills West for the AGM. I immediately joined the group, which only cost £10 a year and apart from other membership benefits, also includes a very information magazine, money well spent and it also helps support the amazing work these guys are doing by acquiring and restoring, which are often the unsung heroes of the railway, wagons.

The AGM was held inside the museum at Brownhill West and we were allowed a tour of the yard and workshops, to see the very comprehensive collection of locomotives and roiling stock in various stages of renovation. I was humbled by the knowledge these guys had at the AGM and probably learned more about wagons than I had learned in an entire lifetime of rail enthusiasm. Those guys track down wagons all over the country that are lying around in disused sidings, and then negotiate buying and transporting them, after which they are restored, the time, effort and money that goes on behind the scenes is really something else, such enthusiasm.

So, despite my original plan for the coal train event at the Chasewater Valley Railway, I inadvertently landed on my feet and enjoyed an exceptional day out with the National Wagon Preservation Group. The drive back to North Manchester was uneventful, apart from some idiot in a BMW nearly missing me as I was overtaking an HGV, he decided he wanted to share my lane, and pulled in from the third lane without indicating, I’m not sure how he missed me, but I have a great day out all the same and in some privileged company.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway, Autumn Steam Gala. Sunday 16th October 2022.

Had I planned my weekend a bit better, I should have visited the East Lancs on Saturday and the Chasewater Valley Railway on Sunday, but never mind. I got over to catch the back end of the East Lancs Autumn gala around 13.00 on Sunday afternoon. The gala had a very strong Lancashire and Yorkshire theme with an incredible collection of original locomotives. Lots of new blood now entering the higher ranks of the ELR, with many new ideas and initiatives coming to the foreground, like allowing photographers access to Ramsbottom Sidings.

It always amazes me on the East Lancs Railway in that when you think you have been to the best gala ever, the powers that be, organise an even better one to follow it, and this weekend was certainly no exception. My afternoon started with a visit to the museum viewing area to capture one of the Pugs, a difficult image though pointing into the sun. My next move was a drive up to Burrs Bank, but the sunshine had gone by this point and the sky was clouding over. Returning to Bury Bolton Street to see the four loco special depart, four Lancashire and Yorkshire locomotives on one train, superb. A big well done to all the teams on the East Lancs Railway.

Locomotives operating were

L&Y Class 25 – 957 (52044) (visiting from Keighley & Worth Valley Railway)

L&Y Pugs – 19 (guised in British Railways as ex-Goole docks Pug) (operational) and
51218 (static display)

L&Y Saddletank – 752/51456

L&Y Class 27 – 52322

LNWR Coal Tank – 1054

GWR 5600 Class – 5643

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
That looks like a cracking event on the ELR for fans of pre-grouping steam.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester and Merseyrail. Tuesday 18th October 2022.

I had the opportunity to have a ride over to the Merseyrail network midweek, so was hoping to see a Merseyrail class 777 operating, as I hadn’t seen one turn a wheel. Using my GM pass, I took a train into Southport from Manchester Piccadilly on one of the Class 769 BMU`s, (Bimodal Multiple Units), only an extra fiver from Appley Bridge to Southport return. So, a cheap way of accessing the Merseyrail network from Manchester.

I purchased a Merseyrail Day Saver at Southport for £5.90 off peak, which allows you to use the entire network, this is excellent value. Catching a Merseyrail Pep, class 508 to Sandhills with a change for Kirkdale, the northern line depot. I could see 6 sets of the new class 777`s on shed, 003 was shunting around the yard and 049 was edging its way off the depot. Other visible units were 007 and 016.

I wanted to get infront of 049, so took the next service train to Liverpool Central low level and around half an hour after my arrival, 049 turned up on one of the platforms to enable me to take a few photographs, it then disappeared down the tunnels in the same direction it had come.. From information received from one of the drivers, these were on driver training on the Southport line, so I returned to Sandhills and waited for it to return. I couldn’t find it on RRT for some reason. It didn’t however turn up at Sandhills.

I did notice a train movement from Kirkdale CS to Birkenhead North and then returning at 15.15, so I wated for it, but all that turned up was a pair of class 508`s not in service, so I have no idea what happened to the class 777.

I returned to Southport around 16.00 on a service train, and then caught a class 150 DMU, back into Manchester Victoria. Not a bad day though, lovely weather for October and I did manage to see a Merseyrail class 777 turning its wheels.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester. Thursday 20th October 2022.

A morning in grimy Manchester, a classic dull wet day in the metropolis. Visiting Deansgate, Oxford Road and Manchester Piccadilly before the rain became too heavy. The highlights were Freightliner class 70010 and Celebrity GBRf 66789 “British Rail 1948-1997” in BR blue livery, both heading for Trafford Park. A good selection also of the class 319`s and the derivatives, BMU 769`s, plus a recently transferred Northern Sprinter, to EMT, paired with a class 58 Sprinter on a Norwich, Liverpool working.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester and Stockport. Friday 21st October 2022.

Sunshine in Manchester, now there’s a thing. I was up at 06.00 and drove over to a different JD Gym for a change at Salford. An early morning workout and sauna and I then drove back to Crumpsall Metrolink stop to catch a tram into Manchester, as I needed a new coat for work.

I then headed for Deansgate railway station again in sunshine this time, and caught up with GBRf 66789 “British Rail 1948-1997” again, on the Felixstowe North to Trafford Park. My next stop was Manchester Piccadilly and then a Sprinter out to Stockport. Highlights were Freightliner class 70016 on the Knowsley Freight Terminal to Wilton Efw Terminal, also Red DB Schenker liveried class 66152. Not bad for a few hours in Manchester.

shredder1

Established Member
Cheshire Day Rover. Saturday 22nd October 2022.

A bit of a change this weekend, I was off to meet a mate, “Youngie”, who has come over from the Philippines, via Mexico and we` had arranged to meet up at Crewe with a couple of train driver mates.

I decided to buy a Cheshire Day Rover as I thought Id set off early and see if there was any of the new class 197s on Chester. Driving to my nearest Metrolink stop, I caught the first tram out from Crumpsall to Manchester Piccadilly at 06.07 and then boarded a Sprinter 150 down to Chester via Altrincham and Northwich, a lovely largely rural line, but it was still dark for most of the journey and I caught up with some more sleep. I copped two class 197`s though, 003 and 004 at Chester.

My next move was on the Merseyrail network from Chester to Birkenhead Hamilton Square with a change for Wallasey Village as I wanted to go past Birkenhead North sheds to see what was on. The depot doors were closed but one of the TfW D stock class 230. 010 was parked at the side of the depot and it was a cop for me too, so worth the trip up there. The D stock is earmarked for the Borderlands line, also known as the Bidston to Wrexham line.

I returned from Wallasey Village to Birkenhead Hamilton Square, for a change of train back to Chester, and was lucky to catch up with the TfW class 67 set returning from Holyhead to Crewe, empty coaching stock. I took the next train back to Crewe, a pair of class 153`s, and made my way around to Crewe Heritage Centre to meet up with “John” and the lads. We spent a pleasant afternoon in the Heritage Centre and later one of the guys took us in his car to a pub in Alsager, where we chilled out for the rest of the afternoon.

I returned to Manchester from Alsager via Crewe, after a great day out, nice to meet some new friends and the weather wasn’t too bad either, until next time guys.

shredder1

Established Member
West Midland Day Tripper. Saturday 29th October 2022.

An early start, the alarm was set at 03.30 as I was driving down to Manchester Piccadilly for the infamous 05.11 Bournemouth Cross Country Voyager down to Wolverhampton. The train departed on time and I arrived into Wolverhampton for 07.00. I wanted to purchase the West Midland Day Tripper, but the ticket office was closed at Wolverhampton, I did however work out how to obtain a ticket from the ticket machine, and then caught a class 350 in to Birmingham New Street arriving just after 08.00 after a 20-minute delay. I was meeting up with “Youngie” again, who was coming in from Coventry, and then we were meeting up with another mate “Ash” coming in from Nottingham.

Once we`d all met up and had a few coffee`s, we caught a class 350 up to Bescot and spent most of the morning on the station. Although Bescot is a far cry from what it was in the earlier days of the 1970`s and 1980`s, it was quite busy while we were there. Diversions were taking place and we had class 88 and 68`s on the Tesco workings, a Rail Head Treatment train top and tailed with class 66`s, Pendolinos on diversionary work and a few classes 66`s on freight workings, five parked in the yard, along with a class 60 behind the station, we also missed twin class 20`s in green livery, light engines on a preservation movement, as a Pendolino cut our shots off, unfortunate bad timing, all I managed was a distant going away shot.

After lunch we caught a train back into Birmingham New Street and went for something to eat in the restaurant in Sainsbury`s, later making our way into Birmingham Moor Street and in time to catch up with a Chiltern CAT leaving for London Marylebone. We then headed out to Tyseley to see if we could record any of the new West Midland Civity class 196 dmu`s, these units are 2 years overdue now and the first one entered service in mid-October, so it shouldn’t be long before the rest of the fleet are rolled out. Quite a number of these have been sat on Tyseley depot for some time now.
Tyseley proved to be busy also with a few classes 66`s passing through, a pair being on another Rail Head Treatment train. We were also treated to two more Chiltern CAT`s class 68`s.

We later returned to Birmingham New Street and then departed in different directions, saying our final goodbyes, (lots of tears). I was on the COP26 green Pendolino direct to Manchester Piccadilly, and after collecting the car and driving home, I was back in the house for around 20.00. A great day and nice to catch up with a few mates again, catch you later guys.