• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Frank: impact on West Coast and Highland Mainlines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mcmad

Suspect they are using the crossover at Beattock rather than the Lockerbie one as the one at Beattock is worked direct by the signaller, the one at Lockerbie is a ground frame so would tie up an additional resource or 2.

Zoidberg

Established Member
Further delay possible on West Coast Main Line repair

_87564457_scotrail.jpg

Then why, on earth, did Network Rail Scotland Tweet around 1730, around the same time as that article was published, that 1st Feb was still the target date?

This contradictory information does not make Network Rail Scotland look good.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Then why, on earth, did Network Rail Scotland Tweet around 1730, around the same time as that article was published, that all was on track for re-opening for passenger service on 1st Feb?
that article was originally posted around 3pm give or take as I saw it when I was still in the office.

Millisle

Phil Verster, NR Managing Director for Scotland was interviewed around 1730 on Radio Scotland this evening and amongst other things said that repair would include building a new pier to share the load with the now weakened original. He was non-commital, though one might say 'aspirational' on 1 Feb. Those who know something about bridge engineering more than me will know better than me what to think.

I'll take a stroll down the street and see what the TPE train does at Lockerbie tomorrow. The north end crossover has been used in similar circumstances before, though the current timings certainly allow for Beattock if more convenient.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Mentioned another Forum the Tyne Valley Blockage could be a long job also. Already in NRE as closed until end of month.

They can't catch a break on the Tyne Valley. Last couple of days it has seemed like they've fixed a landslip or sorted out a flood only for the same thing to affect another section of the line.

Established Member
Ignorant Lamington question from a non engineer:

The piers project well upstream from the existing bridge alignment, and I've noticed this in the past both from trains and the A702. Was the route realigned at some point in relation to the original crossing, or are they cutwaters to prevent exactly the problem we're having now? I can't believe - in fact I've checked and can't find any evidence, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place - that the line was ever four tracked here?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Phil Verster, NR Managing Director for Scotland was interviewed around 1730 on Radio Scotland this evening and amongst other things said that repair would include building a new pier to share the load with the now weakened original. He was non-commital, though one might say 'aspirational' on 1 Feb. Those who know something about bridge engineering more than me will know better than me what to think.

Phil Verster has a pretty big job at the moment, running Scotrail and the Network Rail Alliance in Scotland.
I bet when he took the combined job six months ago he did not expect his network to be damaged in quite the way it has in the past month.

I noticed in passing that the NRE web site still erroneously has Scotrail operating to London.
At least Phil doesn't have to worry about the Caledonian Sleepers.

Established Member
Phil Verster has a pretty big job at the moment, running Scotrail and the Network Rail Alliance in Scotland.
I bet when he took the combined job six months ago he did not expect his network to be damaged in quite the way it has in the past month.

I noticed in passing that the NRE web site still erroneously has Scotrail operating to London.
At least Phil doesn't have to worry about the Caledonian Sleepers.
What must also be quite enlightening for Phil is that he's mending a bridge no Scotrail trains cross, in the same way as he's staffing the north terminus of the WCML - Lockerbie - which no Scotrail trains call at!

Millisle

TPE guard confirmed Beattock for crossing.
The clerk at Lockerbie said they were now hearing March or April for reopening, though unconfirmed.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
Trailling crossover north of Lockerbie down platform which also gives access to the up passenger loop from the down line.

That crossover isn't signalled. Trains are going to Beattock to reverse.

QueensCurve

Established Member
Ignorant Lamington question from a non engineer:

The piers project well upstream from the existing bridge alignment, and I've noticed this in the past both from trains and the A702. Was the route realigned at some point in relation to the original crossing, or are they cutwaters to prevent exactly the problem we're having now? I can't believe - in fact I've checked and can't find any evidence, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place - that the line was ever four tracked here?

I was wondering that too.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
it strikes me that if there's another storm of similar magnitude whilst that temporary damn is in place things will become an awful lot worse?

najaB

Veteran Member
it strikes me that if there's another storm of similar magnitude whilst that temporary damn is in place things will become an awful lot worse?
That's a concern, but the dam is needed to be able to do the work quickly - so it's a question of balance of probabilities.

Alex C.

I was under the impression all acceptance had stopped today for the lamington diversion, but there are still signs at Waverley advising passengers to travel on the Kings Cross services.

As an aside no problems at all using the diversion via York although the lack of information at Liverpool was poor, there was no signage for those travelling to Scotland.

LeylandLen

The clerk at Lockerbie said they were now hearing March or April for reopening, though unconfirmed.

Presumably he is local to the area and no doubt has contacts/friends with the guys working at Lamington who can probably give a more honest if private opinion of the way things are and the likely weather behaviour between now and whenever spring and better drier weather can be expected ?

Zoidberg

Established Member
This is from the BBC Website. The are talking about a long closure!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35260766

In relation to the Hexham/Prudhoe problems, not the Lamington issue.

"Tens of thousands of tonnes of soil and earth are still moving" after a third landslip on a rail line between the north-east of England and Cumbria, engineers say.

Flooding caused 120-tonnes of rubble to block the rail line near Hexham and Corbridge early on Wednesday.

The line reopened on Thursday but closed again after a second landslide caused trees to fall on the track.

Northern Rail said it would be "closed for months" after a further landslip.

Last edited:

amcluesent

There may well need to be a large culvert excavated to provide a relief channel for the river Clyde to stop further undermining of the pier foundations as the outside bank erodes.

664baeac-6ddc-4763-bd23-dfdc28b84feb_zpsefame14s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoidberg

Established Member
It seems never ending. Network Rail Scotland has just Tweeted:

#stranraer #StormFrank damage found @ Laggansarroch viaduct twix Girvan & Stranraer, we've had to close the line - may take 3 weeks to fix
2:58pm - 9 Jan 16

And from the Sotrail website at https://www.scotrail.co.uk/#live-travel

Disruption details

Due to a bridge being damaged between Girvan and Stranraer:

Impact:

Train services between Glasgow Central and Stranraer via Kilmarnock may be terminated at and started back from Girvan. Disruption is expected until the end of the day on 30/01/16.

Additional Information:

An assessment of the damage has been carried out and the current estimate for repairs to be completed and a normal service to be restored is Sunday 31st January 2016. An update will be provided after 12.00 hours on Monday 11th January once a further assessment has been taken place.

Please note that replacement road transport will operate between Stranraer and Ayr in both directions. Replacement buses from Ayr towards Stranraer will call at Girvan, replacement buses from Stranraer towards Ayr will set down only as required at Girvan and Maybole.

Replacement taxi transport will operate from Barrhill towards Stranraer and Ayr. Taxis towards Ayr will set down if required at Girvan and Maybole.

Journey times will be extended due to the use of replacement road transport. Please use the station help points for further information.

Services that are scheduled to operate between Ayr and Girvan and also between Kilmarnock and Girvan only are not affected by this disruption and will operate as timetabled.

We apologise for the delay to your journey today. To make a claim under our Delay Repay Guarantee, visit ScotRail.co.uk/delay-repay

EDIT: And I see that this issue has its own thread at http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=125402

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
When was the last time there were this many serious incidents in such a short span of time?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Autumn 2000, when the network was totally chaotic due to a combination of flooding over wide areas, and over-reaction by ill-informed Railtrack management to gauge corner cracking after the Hatfield accident.

Today's problems are limited to a handful of specific routes, bad for people using those but at least everything else continues pretty much as normal.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Not sure if it has been covered earlier, but the upcoming LNE closures between Newcastle and Darlington are confirmed as going ahead in the NR Lamington press release. http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/ministers-review-west-coast-mainline-recovery-works
At the same time, it has been confirmed that work to upgrade the East Coast Mainline between Newcastle and Darlington over coming weekends in January will go ahead with Network Rail (NR) and the Train Operating Companies (TOCs) working together to help passengers make cross border journeys

VTEC will run an hourly through King's Cross-Edinburgh HST service via the Durham coast, XC/TPE will be bustituted.

ChathillMan

Not sure if it has been covered earlier, but the upcoming LNE closures between Newcastle and Darlington are confirmed as going ahead in the NR Lamington press release. http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/ministers-review-west-coast-mainline-recovery-works

VTEC will run an hourly through King's Cross-Edinburgh HST service via the Durham coast, XC/TPE will be bustituted.
I hoped for an HST but my 225 is being dragged and i'm pleased to say its pretty quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.