• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW - Trainee Conductors - Various Locations (31/03/22)

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Still waiting for any progress on my application, the wait is starting to prey on my mind :lol:
Hope I will get offered tests though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mugatneysface

I'm currently on my minders week. Really surprised at how much the job can be at times even at quieter intervals. Did anyone else feel like this when they started?

Last edited:

JonG184

I'm currently on my minders week. Really surprised at how much the job can be at times even at quieter intervals. Did anyone else feel like this when they started?
Good to know you started (presumably in January?). How long after the medical did you have a confirmed start date and contract please?

JonG184

It was about 2-3 days. Medical wad on the Wednesday, had my contracts through on the Friday.
Many thanks. I had my medical on Wednesday, after a rather fraught journey to Liverpool involving roadworks, thick fog and a cancelled train which despite leaving an extra hour in my schedule made me late - resulting in rather high blood pressure readings! Subsequently heard I'd been passed OK.

Jacob Didcote

Did a medical for a job at DB last year and just scraped by because of my hearing. Hopefully it doesn’t get much worse!

JonG184

Anyone else starting on the conductors course in late June in Chester? I've spent the weekend signing contracts and handing in my notice. Can't wait to start!

Trainbunny

Anyone else starting on the conductors course in late June in Chester? I've spent the weekend signing contracts and handing in my notice. Can't wait to start!
Congratulations! Which depot are you going to be working at? That's a good amount of notice that they have given you too

JonG184

Congratulations! Which depot are you going to be working at? That's a good amount of notice that they have given you too
Llandudno Junction. I'd actually applied for Pwllheli (as that's where the advertised vacancy was) with Llandudno Junction as second choice. It suits me very well as the Junction is closer to home!

Tevion539

From what I've been told, there's a team building exercise where you have to prioritise tasks and thena communication test, where you have to write an accurate report about an incident. Now I could be wrong, but IIRC, asking people who've been through the process more recently than me have said this.

JonG184

From what I've been told, there's a team building exercise where you have to prioritise tasks and thena communication test, where you have to write an accurate report about an incident. Now I could be wrong, but IIRC, asking people who've been through the process more recently than me have said this.
That was what we did in December....

Jacob Didcote

Ah cheers for the heads up. They did mention on the email it may take a few weeks for a member of recruitment to get back to me.

wooden_work

I’ve had an email invite to an assessment day at the TfW Head Office in Pontypridd on the 30th April and the day will consist of…….

Written Communication Test
Group Activity
Customer Service Role Play
Interview

Jacob Didcote

I’ve had an email invite to an assessment day at the TfW Head Office in Pontypridd on the 30th April and the day will consist of…….

Written Communication Test
Group Activity
Customer Service Role Play
Interview
You’ll have to let us know how you do and what to expect for us going through the process! Good luck!

wooden_work

You’ll have to let us know how you do and what to expect for us going through the process! Good luck!
Thanks. I’ll certainly update here with how it all went and what it entailed. Just need to find a suit apparently as has to be smart office wear.

My only issue is I will probably fail the medical once it comes around (assuming I get that far) as I’m pretty deaf in 1 ear but my other ear is around 20 years better than it should be

Jacob Didcote

Thanks. I’ll certainly update here with how it all went and what it entailed. Just need to find a suit apparently as has to be smart office wear.

My only issue is I will probably fail the medical once it comes around (assuming I get that far) as I’m pretty deaf in 1 ear but my other ear is around 20 years better than it should be
When I went for Driver Assessments in Cardiff you'd be surprised what some people wore! One guy rocked up in Joggers! I'd say just a polo shirt and smart trousers or if you want to go all out wear shirt and tie!

I'm the same. One ear is worse than the other. Said I have hearing of a 40-50 year old...thanks to the audiologist when I was younger perforating both eardrums!

Tevion539

When I went for Driver Assessments in Cardiff you'd be surprised what some people wore! One guy rocked up in Joggers! I'd say just a polo shirt and smart trousers or if you want to go all out wear shirt and tie!

I'm the same. One ear is worse than the other. Said I have hearing of a 40-50 year old...thanks to the audiologist when I was younger perforating both eardrums!
I would recommend at least a shirt and smart trousers. You want to make an impression and not show the opposite. I can't imagine the guy who turned up in joggers got the job.

mickeymac

I would recommend at least a shirt and smart trousers. You want to make an impression and not show the opposite. I can't imagine the guy who turned up in joggers got the job.
Absolutely. Suit and tie worked for me. Good luck!