• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee/Apprentice Drivers - Various Locations - Chiltern (19/07/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WombleGuard

I've found out that my DMI was successful and they will be sending me a course date in a couple of weeks since I have already passed psychometrics!

I was told the December course is filled for Banbury Drivers, but there is due to be another course in early 2023. They just need to nail down the date for that one.

The contact I have been speaking to in the recruitment team is going on holiday for 2 weeks, so bear that in mind for all who are still waiting for an update.
Congratulations!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

flying_gerry

Are we to just assume if we haven’t heard anything that we haven’t been successful in getting through? It’s taking the pee a bit really…

porksandwhich

Are we to just assume if we haven’t heard anything that we haven’t been successful in getting through? It’s taking the pee a bit really…
Recruitment is understaffed at chiltern and their struggling to get through everything. If it helps, I applied in October last year and only got an interview in March.

LCC106

Established Member
Railway recruitment is notoriously slow at the best of times, so not taking the pee. That said, I was about 3 months from application to start date.

chrisb1986

Just had the rejection email for Aylesbury. Very disappointing. I seem to make it through every initial filter with TOC's but have never made it to testing.

Does anyone know what the first stage of testing is for Chiltern? Is there a preliminary online test before the actual OPC office assessments?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Does anyone know what the first stage of testing is for Chiltern? Is there a preliminary online test before the actual OPC office assessments?

If you get through the initial sift then you will be asked to carry out an online VSE test as the next part of the sifting process. Only those who pass the VSE test will be eligible to undertake the full OPC test.

If you get through the initial sift then you will be asked to carry out an online VSE test as the next part of the sifting process. Only those who pass the VSE test will be eligible to undertake the full OPC test.
Thank you. If I've previously done the VSE test (4 months ago) and passed would that still be acceptable? Also, when you say the 'initial sift', is that purely based on the application paperwork itself (CV, etc)? I assume so but just wanted to ask in case I've missed anything. Another questions if you don't mind, I've been through the full OPC assessments and passed including the MMI. However I recently applied to another company and I sat the RAAT test as part of the prelim assessments with OPC. Unfortunately I wasn't well and failed the RAAT test which is very annoying because it wasn't actually that hard. Sadly an off day. But hey ho, we move forward. If Chiltern do not require the RAAT test as part of their assessments can I assume that I'd still be able to apply even if the RAAT test was with another company within the DB group?

Thanks again. Still getting used to the different processes with different companies. Really appreciate the help.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Thank you. If I've previously done the VSE test (4 months ago) and passed would that still be acceptable? Also, when you say the 'initial sift', is that purely based on the application paperwork itself (CV, etc)? I assume so but just wanted to ask in case I've missed anything. Another questions if you don't mind, I've been through the full OPC assessments and passed including the MMI. However I recently applied to another company and I sat the RAAT test as part of the prelim assessments with OPC. Unfortunately I wasn't well and failed the RAAT test which is very annoying because it wasn't actually that hard. Sadly an off day. But hey ho, we move forward. If Chiltern do not require the RAAT test as part of their assessments can I assume that I'd still be able to apply even if the RAAT test was with another company within the DB group?

Thanks again. Still getting used to the different processes with different companies. Really appreciate the help.

The initial sift would be done based on initial application, location etc. You'd be amazed how many people apply who actually live well outside the 45 minutes commute area but still chance their arm.

If you've passed the VSE already that would help although I'm not sure exactly which tests Chiltern require in terms of RAAT etc. Your previous pass might still be valid depending on how long ago you took the test.

The initial sift would be done based on initial application, location etc. You'd be amazed how many people apply who actually live well outside the 45 minutes commute area but still chance their arm.

If you've passed the VSE already that would help although I'm not sure exactly which tests Chiltern require in terms of RAAT etc. Your previous pass might still be valid depending on how long ago you took the test.
Perfect. Thank you for the response 12LDA28C. I have actually applied for a few roles outside of the 1hr distance restriction (not by much, maybe 150-20 mins) however I have mentioned that I wouldn't commute but would relocate. Hopefully they'll take that into account.

Appreciate the help. Thanks again my friend.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Perfect. Thank you for the response 12LDA28C. I have actually applied for a few roles outside of the 1hr distance restriction (not by much, maybe 150-20 mins) however I have mentioned that I wouldn't commute but would relocate. Hopefully they'll take that into account.

Appreciate the help. Thanks again my friend.

As a general rule, living within the catchment area is now required at point of application. Pledges to relocate have been accepted in the past and then the move has fallen through or the candidate's circumstances have changed so I don't believe these are accepted any more.

I got the bad news aswell. I passed the assessments and I thought my questionnaire was good. Oh well il have to wait for GTR or SWR.

I started to work for TFL CSA1 (part time night tub) today so I will probably apply for Train operator for TFL in 6 months time. I was told the pay now is 68k
Bit of an old thread but just wanted to ask what type of questionnaire this was. I’m not asking what the questions were or anything like that, but was this an SJE type questionnaire or something completely different? Trying to prepare but there’s limited info on the email. Thanks.

Classroom training for chiltern takes 16 weeks for driver. My course starts this Monday and goes till first week of December.
Hey mate. Quick question, the initial online questionnaire which looks like it takes about 90 mins, are these SJE type questions? Can’t find anything online about what type of questionnaire this is. I’m not asking for that actual questions or anything like that, just an indication of the type of questionnaire this is to help me prepare. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Mabs

The original questionnaire if I could remember had very basic questions like why you should get the job, What do you think is required to be a good driver.

I didn't pass last time round although I thought my answers were very detailed.

I think it was because i live 1 hour drive Way from my home to Aylesbury.

This time I added I'm willing to relocate to Aylesbury if I'm successful.

I recently reapplied after six months and I did the questionnaire again for Aylesbury and Marylebone. This time however they removed all the questions. It's only details about myself and evidence of working in a safety critical role.

The original questionnaire if I could remember had very basic questions like why you should get the job, What do you think is required to be a good driver.

I didn't pass last time round although I thought my answers were very detailed.

I recently reapplied after six months and I did the questionnaire again for Aylesbury and Marylebone. This time however they removed all the questions. It's only details about myself and evidence of working in a safety critical role.
Wonderful. Thanks for the reply. How long was the questionnaire and was it timed?

12LDA28C

Established Member

I was under the impression that the DB website clearly stated applicants 'must live within 45 minutes travel from your home depot', or have I got that wrong? Promises to relocate are not taken into consideration AFAIK.

SuperS16v

Yeah the advert said be within a 45 min commute
I was under the impression that the DB website clearly stated applicants 'must live within 45 minutes travel from your home depot', or have I got that wrong? Promises to relocate are not taken into consideration AFAIK.

Mabs

The questionnaire is timed for 90 minutes but it only takes about 15 minutes to complete.

I'm not sure about the 45 minutes but I would buy a house closer if I got the job.

Marylebone = 1 hour by train and 30 mins drive

Aylesbury = 2 hours by train and 1 hour drive

Class2ldn

The questionnaire is timed for 90 minutes but it only takes about 15 minutes to complete.

I'm not sure about the 45 minutes but I would buy a house closer if I got the job.

Marylebone = 1 hour by train and 30 mins drive

Aylesbury = 2 hours by train and 1 hour drive
Yeah but thats relocation and generally they don't accept it if over the 45 minutes

Mabs

Hopefully I have a chance with Marylebone. I could drive in.

Class2ldn

Yeah normally use Google maps but they'll check it in rush hour and has to be within 45 mins at that time

Archvile

There is an 'over 1 hour but prepared to relocate' option on the questionnaire, so I would suggest this information lies somewhere between outdated and inconsistent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.