• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transfer of LNER HST 125s to East Midlands Railway (EMR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Has probably been mentioned at some point, (that I couldn't actually see for myself!) but all of the red sets are going to 2+6 with 1 standard and 1 first class coming out. Apologies if it has been said!
Think that's news here! Is that to save money or make the new trains not look so short when they arrive?
Even less chance of a decent amount of Advance 1st Class seats being offered at cheap prices after that I would say, if less to fill.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Has probably been mentioned at some point, (that I couldn't actually see for myself!) but all of the red sets are going to 2+6 with 1 standard and 1 first class coming out. Apologies if it has been said!
Just been out photographing some.. confirmed - red sets operating as 2+6... they do look short!

nat67

Established Member
Think that's news here! Is that to save money or make the new trains not look so short when they arrive?
Even less chance of a decent amount of Advance 1st Class seats being offered at cheap prices after that I would say, if less to fill.
It is because of maintenance issues with the Mk3's. Only NL51 is load 8 at present. And at least one set has TF, TF, TRFB, TS, TS, TGS configuration which with social distancing is not helpful to say the least.

So does that mean some of the coaches that have literally just had work done on them to bring them up to scratch are now not being used?

Established Member
So does that mean some of the coaches that have literally just had work done on them to bring them up to scratch are now not being used?
Probably move some of the 'spare' coaches around into other sets so no as many coaches need to be looked at on the remaining sets.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if there is a vantage point to see into worksop sidings where the unused EMR hsts are stored

On Moderation
Slightly off topic but does anyone know if there is a vantage point to see into worksop sidings where the unused EMR hsts are stored
You won't find any EMR HST vehicles at Worksop. They're at Gascoigne Wood and Barrow Hill.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Didn't see any red sets in operation today - think I saw 4 out of the 5 sets in use, all 2+8 ex EMT rakes.

DB

Are some of the MTU power cars likely to be dispensed with at the timetable change, as well as the remaining VP185s?

nat67

Established Member
43306 entered service today on 1C13 0600 Sheffield-St Pancras. Which just leaves 43308 now which is having the front end painted up.

class387

Established Member
Is the ex-GC set still in use? Booked diagram seems to be a Meridian today.

class387

Established Member
Not been out since last Wednesday I think.
Oh ok, thanks. Is it likely to be used again or is it just gone now? Understand that the last day is supposed to be Friday so might try to get a ride on it before then if I can.

Established Member
According to a post on facebook tomorrow is planned to be the last day of the VP185 power cars with EMR. 43047 and 43049 pair together by the sounds of things.

WesternLancer

Established Member
According to a post on facebook tomorrow is planned to be the last day of the VP185 power cars with EMR. 43047 and 43049 pair together by the sounds of things.
If so, wonder which services they will run on?

heedfan

Special head board to commemorate "Last Paxman in Service" is currently attached to 43047 sat at NL.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
The December 12th diagrams infer, to me at any rate, that all the workings will be longer sets, and the ex GC short sets will be out of use. Can anyone confirm this? Seems strange that 43480 had its tyres turned earlier this week, but possibly it will continue to be used, but with the red sets.

On Moderation
The December 12th diagrams infer, to me at any rate, that all the workings will be longer sets, and the ex GC short sets will be out of use. Can anyone confirm this? Seems strange that 43480 had its tyres turned earlier this week, but possibly it will continue to be used, but with the red sets.
The HSTs are all 2+6 sets from the new timetable as I understand it.

fgwrich

Established Member

480 Will have to have had it's tires turned regardless of next week - Angel Trains won't be very happy if it's not handed back in reasonable useable condition, as per the handback guidelines.

On Moderation
480 Will have to have had it's tires turned regardless of next week - Angel Trains won't be very happy if it's not handed back in reasonable useable condition, as per the handback guidelines.
Although they accepted back the LNER fleet that has needed substantial remedial work.

Railperf

Established Member
The HSTs are all 2+6 sets from the new timetable as I understand it.
Is this for performance / covid reasons - or simply due to not enough serviceable vehicles to make an 8-caoch set? How many sets will be in daily service?

Benno

Although they accepted back the LNER fleet that has needed substantial remedial work.
True, although to be fair, they didn't expect to have to lease some of them out again for an additional 18 months. Up until towards the end of 2019 it was anticipated by all parties that the Porterbrook blue sets would have PRM modifications. When the DFT decided against that and to use the ex LNER sets instead it was too late, the work needed to be done.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Anyone know if the set is out as planned today - ie as per

@XCTurbostar post:
Reported as 1B23, 1D23, 1B43, 1D48, 1B69 and 1F70, after, they will be stood down.. apparently..

Status
Not open for further replies.