• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Slipper

Thanks pal, I'm chuffed, waited ages for this! First applied in 2019! Cardiff Mainline. Have you heard anything yet?
Chuffed for you mate. Just a quick question when in 2019 did you apply? I applied march 2020, but due to covid my application went through with everyone from July, so have been in the talent pool since beginning of September 2020. Trying to gauge how long I may have to wait. Also when did you get asked about mainline or branch? I haven't been asked that yet. Cheers and good luck

Chuffed for you mate. Just a quick question when in 2019 did you apply? I applied march 2020, but due to covid my application went through with everyone from July, so have been in the talent pool since beginning of September 2020. Trying to gauge how long I may have to wait. Also when did you get asked about mainline or branch? I haven't been asked that yet. Cheers and good luck

They give you the choice on the email saying you're in the talent pool. Should of been a list of depots you want to apply to.

Mrt83

I had a list of depots on my talent pool email, and was asked to confirm which I was applying for. With Cardiff it said to say if there was a preference for mainline or valleys, or no preference. I said no preference on mine. Curious if any one else has had an invite yet?

Catweasel

First applied 2019, applied again July 2020, put in talent pool Nov 2020. When I had the email to say I passed the dmi, there was a bit at the bottom asking where I wanted to apply for. Hope you hear something soon pal

JoeEcco

Hi mate.

I applied towards the end of July and I'm now in the talent pool awaiting a start date. Had my final interview in November. This is for the Shrewsbury depot.
Hi mate, very pleased for you well done!
I wonder why they keep telling me my application is under review if they’ve already interviewed and offered jobs to people that applied after me. Sad news for me!

Steam Power

I wonder why they keep telling me my application is under review if they’ve already interviewed and offered jobs to people that applied after me. Sad news for me!
I think it’s sad news for me too looking at the comments here regarding applying, tests, interviews and securing a position. My application is still under review since last July so I’m being to think I’ll hear nothing from now. My last contact was nearly 4 months ago Stating my position in this process was being reviewed and I’ve also emailed to see if there’s any kind of update soon but no response. Fantastic for all who have succeeded and all the very best to those who haven’t.

Slipper

First applied 2019, applied again July 2020, put in talent pool Nov 2020. When I had the email to say I passed the dmi, there was a bit at the bottom asking where I wanted to apply for. Hope you hear something soon pal
Thanks matey . I had to chase up confirmation for passing the DMI for some reason. I was told verbally on the day I had passed, but I didn't receive an email confirmation when everyone else did. I did eventually received a confirmation about 2 weeks after everyone else, following an email I sent, but it had no reference to preferences. Hope I haven't slipped off the radar somehow . Hopefully hear something soon. Good luck with your course mate, and thanks for the reply.

Catweasel

Thanks matey . I had to chase up confirmation for passing the DMI for some reason. I was told verbally on the day I had passed, but I didn't receive an email confirmation when everyone else did. I did eventually received a confirmation about 2 weeks after everyone else, following an email I sent, but it had no reference to preferences. Hope I haven't slipped off the radar somehow . Hopefully hear something soon. Good luck with your course mate, and thanks for the reply.
Hope you hear something soon bud, drop them an email or something, it might prompt them.

From what I've heard if you haven't had a rejection email then you are still in the running.

Hopefully if life resumes some sort of normality this year they may start processing your application again.

Good luck.

JustJim93

Has anybody else heard that TFW have hired to many and due to covid can't hire any more because they have no money? I heard this from someone who is high up in network rail and just wondering if anyone else has heard anything?

Hotaxlebox17

There’s a saying in the railway that goes “you haven’t got it until you’ve got it”. Hopefully that highlights how even pre-covid the disastrous & hard to come by nature of the recruitment in this industry is. Once you get in you’ll see just how many railway staff have their own recruitment horror stories or how many applications they’ve had to get in - it’s just part of the process.

Personally, I wouldn’t hold on to Acorn’s automated emails because that doesn’t really insinuate anything at all or more importantly that you’re through to the next stage. That email could potentially be generated to thousands of people who applied & maybe even every single person who’s applied for any role/company that Acorn recruits on behalf of as it’s easier to send that than reply to the masses individually during covid.

Even though TFW intended to hire hundreds & they are in need of drivers it’s silly to not assume they’re having to rethink the recruitment numbers on the back of covid & reduced services & as a TOC they’re probably unaware of Acorn sending those emails. Transpenine gave redundancies to drivers who’d started training & cancelled
ones who were about to. Northern have frozen all driver courses & recruitment for the foreseeable with the backlog of trainees unable to complete training.
So if you consider that level of railway cutback at a much further stage whilst waiting on an automated email from a 3rd party recruitment company at such an early stage - you’re only going to drive yourself crazy.

I know it’s frustrating but the best thing to do is just be cynical, forget about it & keep applying for other roles whilst avoiding a habit of holding on to a job application. Who knows you might get a surprise email you might not & forget but either way it’s better for your own peace of mind.

P.s. I really do hope I’m wrong and TFW are just waiting for an all clear

craigybagel

Established Member
Has anybody else heard that TFW have hired to many and due to covid can't hire any more because they have no money? I heard this from someone who is high up in network rail and just wondering if anyone else has heard anything?
Well if you do really want a job on the railway you might as well get used to the railway rumour mill. According to it my own depot has been closing for the last 30 years (during which time the driver headcount has actually more than tripled). Like all railway rumours it might have some truth, but more than likely it's complete rubbish.

Either way it's not worth worrying about as there's nothing you can do anyway! Best to just ignore it and carry on with your fingers crossed.

JoeEcco

Just had an email saying that my application is still under review and that TFW are ‘building up their talent pool’ and so they are getting through them slowly.
I applied late July 2020 for Shrewsbury/Crewe.

Just had an email saying that my application is still under review and that TFW are ‘building up their talent pool’ and so they are getting through them slowly.

I've yet to receive that particular email, but did receive one before Christmas assuring me that I'd invited to assessment, whenever they are scheduled. I only applied to Shrewsbury but recently discovered that a WM/LNW train could get me to Crewe in well under an hour. Does anyone think I could add this to my preferences, should I be lucky enough to advance that far?

craigybagel

Established Member
I've yet to receive that particular email, but did receive one before Christmas assuring me that I'd invited to assessment, whenever they are scheduled. I only applied to Shrewsbury but recently discovered that a WM/LNW train could get me to Crewe in well under an hour. Does anyone think I could add this to my preferences, should I be lucky enough to advance that far?
Can you drive to Crewe in under an hour? Bear in mind that the earliest book on time there for drivers is currently 0230 and that most of the early turns start before the arrival of the first service trains from the West Midlands.

Can you drive to Crewe in under an hour? Bear in mind that the earliest book on time there for drivers is currently 0230 and that most of the early turns start before the arrival of the first service trains from the West Midlands.
If Gresty Road then maybe not. Definitely one of those commutes that varies depending on the time of day and mode of transport. 1hr 3 mins at this time of day, by car.

craigybagel

Established Member
If Gresty Road then maybe not. Definitely one of those commutes that varies depending on the time of day and mode of transport. 1hr 3 mins at this time of day, by car.
I would assume they measure the journey time from the railway station itself. For what it's worth, the staff car park for TfW staff is at least a 5 minute walk from the Booking on Point.

DanV12

I just had the same for my application I applied late August for Carmarthen depot

Bradley_246

Hi,
Hope it’s ok to post in this forum.

i applied for trainee conductor role at Holyhead in January. My friend applied for the same role about a week after me.
my application still says shortlisting, and have been advised by recruitment team that the shortlisting will be completed this coming week.
But my friend has had a SAT test and had an interview date. Is there a known reason why some candidates find out they’re outcome sooner than others? (I.e is it just luck, or down to quality of candidate)
Sorry for long post!
Thanks

Catweasel

Hey all, how's things going for everyone? Is anyone else booked on the course staring May 10th? And does anyone know how many people are on each course?

craigybagel

Established Member
Usually 8 on each course.
Although that was pre Covid. I did hear that the class sizes had shrunk a bit due to social distancing. At least some of the rooms in the training centre certainly couldn't cope with that many people in a class at present.