• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: outdated posters and signage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dougal2345

This was at Ampress Works in 2019 - I think it has since disappeared:

imag0451-20190223-181929818-jpg.59556

jamie_r

I've passed through Moorgate a few times recently and have noticed that just before the escalators down to the Northern City line, next to the passageway that takes you towards all other lines for those that have already passed through the ticket barriers, there is a sign that has been partially covered up with black and yellow hazard tape. The tape is somewhat transparent, and on further inpsection is covering up an arrow towards the Thameslink platforms. Thameslink has, of course, not served Moorgate since 2009!

nlogax

Established Member
Just noticed on Jago Hazzard's recent Barking Riverside upload that there appears to be at least one nameboard of NSE vintage at Barking. Screenshot below. Lovely to see.

Screenshot from Jago Hazzard's Barking Riverside video showing NSE nameboard at Barking

davidknibb

On the Avanti Pendolinos - there's a ;little electric panel by the door saying where the next stop is and other things. but the train is identified with the VT prefix and then a number. Is it too difficult for them to change I wonder.

A bit like the IATA code for St Petersburg Airport being LED still - dating way back to Soviet times.

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
I’m not sure if there are any left, but across the Greater Glasgow network, some of the railway bridges near stations remained with a big gigantic orange Strathclyde Transport sign with the station name.

Example: View attachment 117369
Image shows the Strathclyde Transport sign at Partick station.

Williamswood still has a 'Strathclyde Red' bridge like this. The tiling inside the entrances to the Glasgow Central low level platforms is also a similar shade of... err, red.

I was in Waverley yesterday. The interactive displays for the Caledonian Sleeper still show a red DB-livery 67 pulling purple Mk2 and/or Mk3 Sleeper coaches. I've seen similar displays in Newtonmore, Inverness etc, so presumably a wide spread anachronism.

syorksdeano

Spotted at Keighley yesterday. Even Bradford Council don't use that logo anymore

Attachments

• 20220726_133117.jpg
    20220726_133117.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 129

AY1975

Established Member
Spotted at Keighley yesterday. Even Bradford Council don't use that logo anymore
When I went to the K&WVR diesel gala a few weeks ago I also noticed that Keighley station still has a BR era "Parcels" sign above the entrance to the ticket hall from the footbridge.

I wonder if any stations still have any Red Star Parcels signage.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
On the Avanti Pendolinos - there's a ;little electric panel by the door saying where the next stop is and other things. but the train is identified with the VT prefix and then a number. Is it too difficult for them to change I wonder.

A bit like the IATA code for St Petersburg Airport being LED still - dating way back to Soviet times.
I suspect they are simply taking the TOC code, which is still VT. I can't even recall the last time that a TOC code changed with a franchise change. You still have LNER using GR (from GNER, 4 franchises earlier!), WMT using LM, TfW using AW, London Underground using LT and Elizabeth Line using XR.

Efini92

Established Member
When I went to the K&WVR diesel gala a few weeks ago I also noticed that Keighley station still has a BR era "Parcels" sign above the entrance to the ticket hall from the footbridge.

Euston has a massive red star sign on the roof

Established Member
This was uncovered at Barking recently. It's now been preserved at request of Peter Hendy.

Many NSE era signs in the station, and an old WH Smith logo from many many years ago is visible on one of the disused platform shops.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1653586936676.jpg
    FB_IMG_1653586936676.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG20220517152508.jpg
    IMG20220517152508.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 157

Steddenm

I suspect they are simply taking the TOC code, which is still VT. I can't even recall the last time that a TOC code changed with a franchise change. You still have LNER using GR (from GNER, 4 franchises earlier!), WMT using LM, TfW using AW, London Underground using LT and Elizabeth Line using XR.
VT is the TOC code and the VT with a number (ie VT2949) is the Retail Service ID.

Littlehampton still has Red Star branding.
Screenshot_20220728-024759_Maps.jpg

SargeNpton

Established Member
Saw this in one of the waiting rooms at Watford Junction 3 or 4 years ago. Not sure whether it's still there though.

The Rabbit mobile phone network - doomed to failure. Launched in May 1992 and closed in December 1993, never achieving more than 10,000 subscribers. The phones could only make outgoing calls and you had to be within 100 metres of a base station marked by one of these signs.

Attachments

• Rabbit.jpg
    Rabbit.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 109

Steddenm

Saw this in one of the waiting rooms at Watford Junction 3 or 4 years ago. Not sure whether it's still there though.

The Rabbit mobile phone network - doomed to failure. Launched in May 1992 and closed in December 1993, never achieving more than 10,000 subscribers. The phones could only make outgoing calls and you had to be within 100 metres of a base station marked by one of these signs.
There's one at Blackpool North still

Recessio

Can't remember if it was Rabbit necessarily, but there was one from a basetation like that on the outside of Warren Street tube up until a few years ago. I remember that was the one that Thames TV did a news feature on as it was the local station for their studios.

Re 4/4

Just stopped in Swindon next to the Gold Zone sign ... that can't have been used for a while?

Neo9320

Can't remember if it was Rabbit necessarily, but there was one from a basetation like that on the outside of Warren Street tube up until a few years ago. I remember that was the one that Thames TV did a news feature on as it was the local station for their studios.
Rabbit…Warren Street…I like that :)

Parallel

Established Member
Just stopped in Swindon next to the Gold Zone sign ... that can't have been used for a while?
Chippenham also has such signage.

I’ve often wondered when these platform signs at Temple Meads date from. To my knowledge, none light up anymore but they can be found on most platforms. It’d be great if they could be restored and returned to working order.

Attachments

• 38EB157E-BA48-40F8-99F4-CC4FF12B8FA4.png
    38EB157E-BA48-40F8-99F4-CC4FF12B8FA4.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 119

Railsigns

Established Member
I’ve often wondered when these platform signs at Temple Meads date from. To my knowledge, none light up anymore but they can be found on most platforms. It’d be great if they could be restored and returned to working order.
It's very likely that they were installed around the same time as the illuminated "St. Andrew's cross" indicators at the station, which had the same red casings. These were provided in February 1988, replacing the previous black and yellow square demarcation boards.
https://www.railsigns.uk/sect21page2.html

Attachments

• btmx.jpg
    btmx.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 74

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
FC getting split into TL and GN was probably the last noticeable change?

Purple Train

Established Member
On RTT at least (not sure whether it's officially changed) Greater Anglia use the code LE. How many franchises ago is that? I can't think of anything it would apply to.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
On RTT at least (not sure whether it's officially changed) Greater Anglia use the code LE. How many franchises ago is that? I can't think of anything it would apply to.
Ah yes, that's another one to add to the list. LE (I think it was supposed to stand for London Eastern Railway) dates back to the days of "one" / NXEA, so also many years out of date.

Established Member
Ah yes, that's another one to add to the list. LE (I think it was supposed to stand for London Eastern Railway) dates back to the days of "one" / NXEA, so also many years out of date.
It's London Eastern Railway Company.

The official name for "ONE". Staffs contracts said the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.