• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations forming a cross (with 4 passenger routes from the station)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg1

Established Member
Dudley Port will meet the criteria when the Wednesbury to Dudley Metro extension opens.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Er, the tram line crosses under the railway, and then crosses under the A34, and then terminates just before it would have passed under the A5145. I'd argue the two stations are too far apart to count as one, and they won't get any closer if the tram is extended to Stockport.

Furthermore the railway station is even further from the crossing point than the tram stop is.
Quite right... not sure what I was picturing in my head, but it clearly wasn't East Didsbury! I'll blame it on a brain-fart...

Iskra

Established Member
A bit of a stretch this one, as it isn't split-level with platforms forming a cross but you can catch a train to head in four different directions, with the routes diverging not far from the station: that being Shipley (routes to Ilkley/Bradford/Leeds/Skipton).
Similarly, Carnforth; if you include the branch off to Morecambe at Hest Bank.

However, that only has a very limited passenger service, and it’s no longer possible to head North on the WCML on a passenger train from Carnforth station itself although non-stop passenger trains do.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Similarly, Carnforth; if you include the branch off to Morecambe at Hest Bank.

However, that only has a very limited passenger service, and it’s no longer possible to head North on the WCML on a passenger train from Carnforth station itself although non-stop passenger trains do.
You can't head 'north' from Carnforth as there's no stopping service heading towards Oxenholme, you can only head West to Barrow, East to Hellifield and South to Lancaster. Carnforth also isn't a cross, it's a V (given the OP has excluded Tonbridge for not being a proper cross).

Iskra

Established Member
You can't head 'north' from Carnforth as there's no stopping service heading towards Oxenholme, you can only head West to Barrow, East to Hellifield and South to Lancaster. Carnforth also isn't a cross, it's a V (given the OP has excluded Tonbridge for not being a proper cross).
Yes, I acknowledged it was a stretch and that you can’t head North on the WCML but passenger trains do…

snowball

Established Member
You can't head 'north' from Carnforth as there's no stopping service heading towards Oxenholme,
And among the reasons why there is no stopping service, one of the more important is that there's no longer a platform.

BeijingDave

If NPR plans go ahead, Warrington BQ may become an example.

If you count Metrolink, Manchester Picc?

If you count Tyne and Wear Metro, Monument? (Oops, already mentioned.)
Yes, was about to say Warrington BQ was of course one many years ago and could become one again.

higthomas

Cambridge currently meets your criteria (although won't once South opens). It is a bit of a weird "cross" though.

alanc

Can anyone think of other stations where the two routes form a cross shape and passengers can go all four ways from that station? for example Tamworth works but Lichfield TV doesn't (regular services don't go North East from Tv as far as I'm aware)/ Shotton and Worcester Parkway are another two that work.

Stations like Nuneaton for example don't really fit as the tracks don't form a cross.

I'm after examples in England and Wales that are OUTSIDE the M25 if any of you knowledgeable people could help!

(NB also passengers can transfer between the two routes)

Updated list:

Tamworth
Worcs Parkway
Shotton
Smethwick GB
Liverpool South Parkway
Retford

Minffordd*
Newcastle

Would Westbury fit your criteria?

marsker

Surprised that no-one's suggested Eaglescliffe. Sevices towards Northallerton and Darlington from one end, towards Stockton and Middlesbrough from the other.

Cambus731

Again, not a cross-shaped station. Also, it isn't in England or Wales.
Yes, on re reading the thread I realisecI missed the England andxWales bit.
Nevertheless it the lines leading intontjexststion do form a cross.

Railsigns

Established Member
Yes, on re reading the thread I realisecI missed the England andxWales bit.
Nevertheless it the lines leading intontjexststion do form a cross.
I don't think the OP is asking for a list of stations with junctions near them that allow trains to head off in different directions. If Nuneaton's layout doesn't qualify, then Perth's doesn't either.

Lichfield TV and Tamworth were mentioned in post #1. These are stations where two separate routes intersect and there are platforms on both routes, so they form a cross.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Retford; Motherwell (functionally even if not literally); Liverpool Central and Moorfields; Smethwick Galton Bridge. Bletchley will arguably soon qualify.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Retford; Motherwell (functionally even if not literally); Liverpool Central and Moorfields; Smethwick Galton Bridge. Bletchley will arguably soon qualify.
Bletchley is not a cross though - it’s very like the originally ruled out Nuneaton

zwk500

Veteran Member
The key criterion appears to be that both lines are straight (or near to it) through the station area, such that the lines cross at near 90 degrees and form a 'X' layout on satellite/aerial images.

chorleyjeff

Can anyone think of other stations where the two routes form a cross shape and passengers can go all four ways from that station? for example Tamworth works but Lichfield TV doesn't (regular services don't go North East from Tv as far as I'm aware)/ Shotton and Worcester Parkway are another two that work.

Stations like Nuneaton for example don't really fit as the tracks don't form a cross.

I'm after examples in England and Wales that are OUTSIDE the M25 if any of you knowledgeable people could help!

(NB also passengers can transfer between the two routes)

Updated list:

Tamworth
Worcs Parkway
Shotton
Smethwick GB
Liverpool South Parkway
Retford

Minffordd*
Newcastle Central/Monument*
Preston. WCML to N and S, Blackpool and Liverpool to West, Blackburn etc to the East

DelW

Established Member
Preston. WCML to N and S, Blackpool and Liverpool to West, Blackburn etc to the East
No - ruled out by the OP's second paragraph.

Lots of people are proposing layouts that are just stations with diverging junctions at either end, too - none of which meet the criteria in the first post!

ROCsteadycrew

I don't think the OP is asking for a list of stations with junctions near them that allow trains to head off in different directions. If Nuneaton's layout doesn't qualify, then Perth's doesn't either.

Lichfield TV and Tamworth were mentioned in post #1. These are stations where two separate routes intersect and there are platforms on both routes, so they form a cross.
This is correct ( and thanks for helping ). The mods altered my title which has not helped as people may skip the salient points of the first post.

My original thought that there would easily be ten in England and Wales appears to be a bit of an overestimation even if non main lines are included.

vlad

If you count Metrolink, Manchester Picc?

The layout there is shaped more like an equals sign. Although the Metrolink platforms are below the main train shed, the line lies wholly to the north of the through platforms so the two lines don't actually cross.

Parham Wood

Westbury, Exeter St Davids? (The Okehampton junction is a little way out), similarly for Salisbury.

cadder toad

I know Glasgow Central isn't in England or Wales but the front of a northbound train to the high level will cross the low level lines before stopping at the buffers.

plugwash

Established Member
Speaking of metrolink, IIRC there was a proposal to make Baugely a cross shaped interchange station but at least so far it hasn't actually happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.