• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Emergency Alert Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I wonder what the capacity of the mobile networks is to send a message simulatneously to all mobile phone users. I recall that at New Year's Eve when everyone tries to send messages at midnight, the system could not cope and messages were delayed.

Apparently that's not how it works, rather the cells are set to broadcast it in this case for a period of 20 minutes (which must have started a bit early), and if your phone sees the broadcast in that time it gets it. Phones don't poll for cell broadcasts constantly so that would explain why not everyone got it at exactly the same time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Apparently that's not how it works, rather the cells are set to broadcast it in this case for a period of 20 minutes (which must have started a bit early), and if your phone sees the broadcast in that time it gets it. Phones don't poll for cell broadcasts constantly so that would explain why not everyone got it at exactly the same time.
Adding onto this, I'm reading Three didn't broadcast for the 20 minutes but rather only broadcasted once at 3pm which is why only a minority of users on Three received the alert.

dangie

Established Member
I was watching the Liège–Bastogne–Liège cycle race on Eurosport this afternoon when the race commentators phone sounded with the alarm.

najaB

Veteran Member
I wonder what the capacity of the mobile networks is to send a message simulatneously to all mobile phone users. I recall that at New Year's Eve when everyone tries to send messages at midnight, the system could not cope and messages were delayed.
As @Bletchleyite says, emergency broadcast messages are exactly that - broadcast - meaning that any phone that's in range and connected to the network will receive it. So it makes no difference if there's one or one hundred thousand phones connected to the cell.
I didn't get it, although at 3pm I was somewhere around Whaley Bridge on the bus. My data connections were awful up there!
It doesn't require a data connection. AIUI, it uses the standard SMS infrastructure so just depends on the phone being registered on the cellular network at the time.

Silver Cobra

With mentions earlier in the thread that the alerts only function on 4G and 5G, does that mean that, if you didn’t have a data connection enabled at the time, you wouldn’t have received the alert? My phone was switched off at the time the alert was broadcast so I didn’t receive it anyways, but I normally only have data enabled when I want to use it so likely wouldn’t have had it enabled at the time if my phone had been on.

najaB

Veteran Member
With mentions earlier in the thread that the alerts only function on 4G and 5G, does that mean that, if you didn’t have a data connection enabled at the time, you wouldn’t have received the alert? My phone was switched off at the time the alert was broadcast so I didn’t receive it anyways, but I normally only have data enabled when I want to use it so likely wouldn’t have had it enabled at the time if my phone had been on.
No data connection is required. The reason the phone has to be 4G or 5G is because the previous standards didn't include the emergency broadcast facility.

Richard Scott

Established Member
AIUI the system doesn't choose, or even know, who it goes out to within a cell - it goes out to every SIM connected to the cell towers that are told to broadcast it.
This means they can send it to a localised area without needing to know who is there.
Would imagine that is the case as had a genuine one in Romania a couple of weeks ago.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Myself and partner both on Smarty so neither or received it.

Let down.
Smarty is, I believe, on the Three network, so that may partly explain why you didn't receive it.

I have two phones, both of which are dual-SIM. My main phone has an iD SIM (Three network) and a backup Tesco Mobile SIM (o2). I received the alert on this phone, but I wonder if that's purely down to the fact that I had the second SIM. My old phone has a Three pay-as-you-go SIM; I didn't receive any alert on that, but that runs an older version of Android.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I did not receive it and no indication I "missed" it. Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017). I think its an idea but am not sure I am bothered. Of those I know rought 50% did not get it. What are the chances you can do anything about the alert - if its a nuke heading for Croydon I would rather not know the inevitable.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I did not receive it and no indication I "missed" it. Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017). I think its an idea but am not sure am bothered. What are the chances you can do anything about the alert - if its a nuke heading for Croydon I would rather now know the inevitable.
Likewise LG G6 2018

alxndr

Established Member
I was in B&Q at the time. I got it, but it was completely pointless for me as my immediate reaction was to dismiss the notification to stop the noise, upon which the message vanishes. It wasn't a conscious thing I did, just an automatic reaction! I managed to catch the words "test alert" as my thumb was already committed to clearing it. Didn't hear anyone else's go off over the background music.

My work phone received it but it was at home and had stopped making a noise by the time I thought to go and check it. Not sure how long it carries on for if you ignore it.

dangie

Established Member
I'm struggling to think of any situation where a phone emergency text alert could alert me of the emergency before I was actually aware of it.

The government says the new system will be used in cases of flooding, wildfires or terror attacks. Now I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but should I encounter any of those I'd probably be a few steps ahead of a text message....

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I'm struggling to think of any situation where a phone emergency text alert could alert me of the emergency before I was actually aware of it.

The government says the new system will be used in cases of flooding, wildfires or terror attacks. Now I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but should I encounter any of those I'd probably be a few steps ahead of a text message....
My first thought was. If there is a sword wielding nutter within a few hundred yards of me then maybe I could move further away. BUT then in which direction do I choose to move ?. Is this just going to cause unnecessary panic, curiosity or confusion ?. How big an area does it cover ?. I suppose a gas attack on the tube might encourage me to get up to street level - but what network works down there ?.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
One scenario I can think of is a river that's on the verge bursting its banks - you might well be aware of the fact that it's been raining a lot, but not necessarily know when it actually happens.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
One scenario I can think of is a river that's on the verge bursting its banks - you might well be aware of the fact that it's been raining a lot, but not necessarily know when it actually happens.
For example I know my relatives living close to the river Taff in Cardiff get warnings. The disadvantage is they had to subscribe to them and most don't bother. I was the first to subscribe (though I am hardly there). But the trouble with the flood warnings is too many warnings so they now ignore them and remind me it was my fault I encouraged them to register !. Reminds me of "the boy who cried wolf" story. Lets hope the government do not overdo the use of this.

RJ

Established Member
I use a Nokia of 2003 vintage and did not get the alert. I was driving a rail replacement bus on a dual carriageway when it went off. Fortunately the mass loss of control of vehicles predicted by the experts never materialised, at least where I was.

jfollows

Established Member
I don't believe that anyone responsible for sending these alerts will be able to send them in anything like as time-critical a manner as you imply - you'll be told that there's a "danger" of a river bursting its banks (perhaps) but not an alert at the time it's about to happen. Just think how long it took them to attempt to send out a generic message yesterday, and even didn't manage to do this.
Which is why I've disabled the thing - it's going to be either too little, too late or it'll be a deluge of useless information about weather warnings because it's over-used.
It's an idea, a bad one in my opinion, which will be implemented poorly.
My view is that I've lived for 61 years without it and I don't need it.
But I can disable it, so that's fine with me.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

In 1996 I unwittingly got off a train and walked towards a bomb in Manchester. It turned out I didn't get close enough to cause injury, but the warning had been given before I even boarded the train. A warning might have been nice.

Indeed. If asleep on the ground floor, it could possibly save your life.

jfollows

Established Member
Indeed. If asleep on the ground floor, it could possibly save your life.
I think that's the point. There are cases in which it could be life-saving, and if your view is that any information is better than none at all, then this is good. It also enables the "something must be done" and the "we have done something good" parties to be happy. And I don't have a problem with that approach.

Personally, I think about probabilities and statistics, and my view is that it's vanishingly unlikely that this thing will ever benefit me. I accept that it's not zero probability. I choose to avoid the times that it's going to send me useless and irrelevant information and pay the price for if it's really something that could possibly save my life. But I certainly don't want to appear to criticise anyone who takes a different view, I don't want to proselytise on the subject, if someone else thinks it's a good thing then good for them.

1D54

A friend texted me reminding me of the alarm, by the time I'd sussed out by putting phone in air mode I wouldn't receive the alarm the time had passed so i didn't receive it anyway.

jfollows

Established Member
In 1996 I unwittingly got off a train and walked towards a bomb in Manchester. It turned out I didn't get close enough to cause injury, but the warning had been given before I even boarded the train. A warning might have been nice.
In 1996 I was sitting outside in Wilmslow with my parents, temporarily living with them before buying a place of my own in Manchester, and I was planning on going into Manchester to see my friend who was a train driver. From memory, he either called or texted me not to bother because the train he was driving towards Piccadilly was stopped and clearly not going anywhere for a while, something was "up". I don't know if the alert system today would be designed to tell people 10 miles away of something as significant as the IRA bomb, but even if it was I got timely and important information from other means anyway. But it might have helped you, I admit.

Lost property

Hah !....I didn't receive it either so, it's obvious that, if you have been critical of the Gov't, you have been classed as expendable !

Other conspiracy theories are available.

To be honest, I'm not losing any sleep either because before we know it, once the system is actually working as intended, it won't be too long before any and everybody will be claiming they need access.

I feel I'm quite capable of interpreting the weather, if out, and suddenly encountering lots of police, then head in the opposite direction and if it were for a nuclear warning, I really don't want to be a survivor in a contaminate turned to glass environment or start suffering from radiation sickness.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In 1996 I was sitting outside in Wilmslow with my parents, temporarily living with them before buying a place of my own in Manchester, and I was planning on going into Manchester to see my friend who was a train driver. From memory, he either called or texted me not to bother because the train he was driving towards Piccadilly was stopped and clearly not going anywhere for a while, something was "up". I don't know if the alert system today would be designed to tell people 10 miles away of something as significant as the IRA bomb, but even if it was I got timely and important information from other means anyway. But it might have helped you, I admit.

It's done by cell so I'd not have got the message before boarding (at Burscough Bridge), but one assumes it'd be left broadcasting for the duration of an adverse event so as soon as my phone picked up the message I'd have got it, and thus not have got off the train.

jfollows

Established Member
I also believe that governments of all hues have, by their actions and inactions over the last 20+ years, made it more likely that things for which they are now proposing to send alerts will happen. I mean by their response to what they like to call "terrorism" and their inaction on climate change, to specify but two. Now, firstly I know others won't necessarily agree with me, and - secondly - my coupling of the two things is probably inappropriate also, but I do think that if governments hadn't acted so badly and continue to act so badly there'd be less need for this sort of thing.

najaB

Veteran Member
I got it even though I have an American phone with an American number but was in Liverpool at the time!
As noted above, it isn't sent to specific phone numbers but to all phones registered in the specific cell(s) where the alert is triggered. This will include phones that are roaming on a 'foreign' network at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.