• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Emergency Alert Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhigh

Established Member
Nothing here yet, on mine or my wife's phone. None of my family at the other end of the UK have got it yet either!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
My phone made no noise - I only had the on screen message...

I am guessing, then, that "do not disturb" ( which my phone is always set to ) is NOT over-ridden by these alerts.

gg1

Established Member
My partner's android phone got the siren alert, my work phone was on silent and just got a text (thought I read somewhere you should get the siren even if your phone's on silent) no alert received at all on my personal android mobile.

adc82140

Established Member
We have a house full at the moment. Only one person's phone went off. Did it work as planned? (I have disabled my phone, but 6 other people hadn't)

Ted633

Mine was very quiet. The phone vibrating was louder! Wouldn't of known about it if my phone was in the other room. (My volumes are set in max as well)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Interestingly, it only worked on one of my phones. I have an older smartphone that has a prepay SIM and there was no alert on that one. I'm wondering if it's only newer operating system versions that have the alert functionality (that phone has Android 8).

jfollows

Established Member
Interestingly, it only worked on one of my phones. I have an older smartphone that has a prepay SIM and there was no alert on that one. I'm wondering if it's only newer operating system versions that have the alert functionality (that phone has Android 8).
“Android 11 or later”

RuddA

Three iphone and two ipads in the house and worked on two of the phones and only one ipad.
Checked the settings and not switched off.
Doesn't appear to have been 100% successful.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Got it at 1459, tone was very annoying and loud. From the few seconds a let it sound before cancelling it seemed like they just cribbed the US Emergency Alert System attention tone (which is designed to be unpleasant so as to attract attention):

skyhigh

Established Member
There will be a huge amount of people who won't have received it then, my phone is less than 3 years old (bought in August 2020) and is only version 10.
I'm on Android 13 so no reason I shouldn't have received it.

MotCO

Established Member
My wife got her alert at 15.13 - if there had been an imminent nuclear attack, we'd have been frazzled by then!

What happens if you are in an area of poor reception? Do you not get any alert, or do you only get it when you move into an area with reception?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
All worked as intended early at 14:59 on my end. I'm reading users on the Three network didn't receive an alert.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
I am seeing news reports also that people who expected to didn’t receive the alert.

Three network may be a common cause.

Box

Two identical phones but with different providers here, one went off at 14.58, the other not at all.

VioletEclipse

With many people not getting anything, many people getting only a visual warning with no sound and many people getting it up to 20 minutes early or late, I would guess it didn't go exactly as intended.

birchesgreen

Established Member
With many people not getting anything, many people getting only a visual warning with no sound and many people getting it up to 20 minutes early or late, I would guess it didn't go exactly as intended.
Good idea to have a test to get these issues worked out before a real emergency then i guess.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’ve disabled it on my work and personal phones, don’t appreciate getting woken up on night shifts for it and I’ve been in the USA and seen the nonsense it’s been used for over there

daveo

What an anti-climax that was!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

dangie

Established Member
Doesn't appear to have been 100% successful.
That’s what tests are for. They are rarely 100% successful. Work in progress.
My wife got her alert at 15.13 - if there had been an imminent nuclear attack, we'd have been frazzled by then!
Well that’s a bonus. If it was a nuclear attack I’d rather have no advance warning. At my age there’s very little you can do in 4 minutes. It would take me longer than that to even think about it…

Status
Not open for further replies.