• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Emergency Alert Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OscarH

Leaving the NFC active uses an absolutely miniscule amount of power, whereas maintaining a connection to the phone network is one of the main standby power draws, so I'd be very surprised if it does that when it's dead

william.martin

On Moderation
Leaving the NFC active uses an absolutely miniscule amount of power, whereas maintaining a connection to the phone network is one of the main standby power draws, so I'd be very surprised if it does that when it's dead
They do for express travelcard validation down here for using TfL services once your phone has 'died'.
Well there's only one way to find out...

Jimini

Established Member
That's a very fair point!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Conspiracy theorists are seriously having a field day with this. (I suppose the ongoing situation in Ukraine probably doesn’t help).

Lots of theories about the government using it to track your movements, that it’s only being done because World War 3 looms.

They all seem to miss the fact that it’s a tried and tested system which works relatively well all over the world… it’s nothing new.

eoff

Conspiracy theorists are seriously having a field day with this. (I suppose the ongoing situation in Ukraine probably doesn’t help).

Lots of theories about the government using it to track your movements, that it’s only being done because World War 3 looms.

They all seem to miss the fact that it’s a tried and tested system which works relatively well all over the world… it’s nothing new.
Weird, I always assumed tracking data already was available to the authorities.
A broadcast system is hardly a good way to do tracking.

Meerkat

Established Member
Weird, I always assumed tracking data already was available to the authorities.
A broadcast system is hardly a good way to do tracking.
It doesn't even know who is receiving it - just tells the relevant cell towers to broadcast to every phone connected to it.

birchesgreen

Established Member
St George's Day? Hopefully this alert isn't the cover for a military coup by a shadowy ultra nationalist cabal.

SargeNpton

Established Member
3pm is when many of the customary parades and other festivities will be taking place. Hundreds of phones all going off at the same time in the same place, possibly while the local vicar is speaking.
And for the people already in Wembley Stadium waiting for the start of the FA Cup semi-final.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
And for the people already in Wembley Stadium waiting for the start of the FA Cup semi-final.
16:30 KO for that one. However, it'll be around the start of the second half at both Bournemouth vs West Ham and Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur.

jfollows

Established Member

dosxuk

Established Member
Now that the timings have been published, it will be trivial for the organisers at large gatherings to make an announcement shortly before the test alert is sent, and to pause until it happens.

It would be impossible to find a time to send the test when nothing was happening.

Lost property

Now that the timings have been published, it will be trivial for the organisers at large gatherings to make an announcement shortly before the test alert is sent, and to pause until it happens.

It would be impossible to find a time to send the test when nothing was happening.
02.30 Sunday morning would be perfect then.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd best remember this for the 23rd and not factor in any cycling or whatever for that time. I definitely don't fancy it going off and it leading to an accident!

bleeder4

I've turned off wireless emergency alerts in my settings. I've no doubt the system will be abused, and will end up getting used for scenarios which really aren't life or death at all.. Plus I live in a floodplain by a river so it would forever be alerting me to a flooding risk every time it rains!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I’ll be in the airport for work when the alert goes off. That’ll be something to hear; hundreds of phones going off at once.

Trackman

Established Member

Indeed.
I think it's 10 years in the making, it's not an overnight thing.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Sending them in the middle of the night is a great way to get everyone to turn it off entirely!

If I get one, ever, that doesn't relate to a genuine, severe and immediate threat to my life or property, during the period 2300 to 0700, then it goes off.
My phone is off overnight every night anyway...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I put mine in "do not disturb" mode with specific callers, i.e. family, allowed. I wouldn't want to turn it off entirely.
I wouldn't hear it go off anyway - once I've taken my implant processor and hearing aid off for the night I wouldn't hear a thing...

najaB

Veteran Member
So, it's 15:02. I got an alert, dismissed it and the world didn't end.

Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.