• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the Covid-19 Exit Strategy of 'Zero Covid' countries such as Hong Kong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyersey468

Established Member
It won't be done in a way that admits wrongdoing; they will say something like the virus has changed or the risk has changed. But, whatever their excuses may be, and however they brand a change in policy, it will happen, eventually!
I agree they will never admit they got it badly wrong

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
Nor will our lot; watch the 'Public' Enquiry deliver a self-justifying whitewash, leaving the door ajar for a re-run of selected draconian measures when the W.H.O decides there's another global threat.
Not convinced people would be so compliant if there is a next time. Some would be but lots are questioning what we did and why especially as there are many chickens coming home to roost now.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Nor will our lot; watch the 'Public' Enquiry deliver a self-justifying whitewash, leaving the door ajar for a re-run of selected draconian measures when the W.H.O decides there's another global threat.
That's my concern too

Bikeman78

Established Member
Not convinced people would be so compliant if there is a next time. Some would be but lots are questioning what we did and why especially as there are many chickens coming home to roost now.
Depends how long it is unless the next health scare. People have short memories. Meanwhile, China will still be trying to beat Covid.

Razorblades

Depends how long it is unless the next health scare. People have short memories. Meanwhile, China will still be trying to beat Covid.

And I think that people could tacitly accept the 'subtler' (or should that be more insidious) measures that were trialled/ attempted last time.

Sure, face-nappies and lockdowns could fade into history, but what about vaccine passports. With the vast majority of the populace having had between 1 and 5 injections at the time of writing, there's a level of expectation already set in the minds of the WHO and our Western governments that people will roll up their sleeves regardless of 'The Science.' I can see this as being a key component in the planning of/ for future health crises.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
And I think that people could tacitly accept the 'subtler' (or should that be more insidious) measures that were trialled/ attempted last time.

Sure, face-nappies and lockdowns could fade into history, but what about vaccine passports. With the vast majority of the populace having had between 1 and 5 injections at the time of writing, there's a level of expectation already set in the minds of the WHO and our Western governments that people will roll up their sleeves regardless of 'The Science.' I can see this as being a key component in the planning of/ for future health crises.

I'm happy to roll up my sleeves.

What I won't accept is the pubs closing.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It should never be either/or though. The current situation in China is dystopian, to put it mildly.

Agree to an extent. We were lucky that enough people agreed to the vaccine, otherwise the pandemic would have been more drawn out.

It's right that the vaccine was by consent - but we were also lucky that so many consented.
Fair enough, but please understand that rolling sleeves up should a) not be mandatory to participate fully in society and b) be an individual's private business, and not anyone else's.
See above.

Eyersey468

Established Member

Agree to an extent. We were lucky that enough people agreed to the vaccine, otherwise the pandemic would have been more drawn out.

It's right that the vaccine was by consent - but we were also lucky that so many consented.

See above.
While I agree we were lucky so many got the jab, I do feel a lot of people were coerced into getting it though by countries insisting on it for travel, care workers etc being told if they didn't get it they didn't have a job etc etc

yorksrob

Veteran Member
While I agree we were lucky so many got the jab, I do feel a lot of people were coerced into getting it though by countries insisting on it for travel, care workers etc being told if they didn't get it they didn't have a job etc etc

I'm not sure co-erced is the phrase for all.

Either way, we did well as a result of it.

bramling

Veteran Member
More news from China, which is very damaging for the zerp-Covid fanatics:

It's only a matter of time before they have to backtrack.

I wouldn’t bet too much on that one!

I'm happy to roll up my sleeves.

What I won't accept is the pubs closing.

The problem is … we can make a stand against stuff like masks or restrictions on our movements by not complying. It’s simply too difficult for the state to clamp down on that, especially if enough people aren’t complying. I can certainly see sufficient numbers defying any future attempt to bring in these sorts of measures.

However you simply can’t use a business which is closed, and this is something which is rather easier for the state to control, and it would take much more widespread non-compliance to reach the critical mass. I recall a florist in my town got grassed up for taking orders via a trestle table outside their door - I’m sure people attempting to order flowers for funerals really appreciated having to mess about after someone reported the florist.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I wouldn’t bet too much on that one!

The problem is … we can make a stand against stuff like masks or restrictions on our movements by not complying. It’s simply too difficult for the state to clamp down on that, especially if enough people aren’t complying. I can certainly see sufficient numbers defying any future attempt to bring in these sorts of measures.

However you simply can’t use a business which is closed, and this is something which is rather easier for the state to control, and it would take much more widespread non-compliance to reach the critical mass. I recall a florist in my town got grassed up for taking orders via a trestle table outside their door - I’m sure people attempting to order flowers for funerals really appreciated having to mess about after someone reported the florist.

Exactly, which is why lockdowns need to be discouraged as a policy option.

DustyBin

Established Member

See above.

Anecdotally I know a large number of people who “consented” on the basis that they had holidays booked, or wanted to be able to go clubbing, or were worried about losing their job, or thought life for the unvaccinated would be made ever more difficult. I’m struggling to see how that isn’t coercion to be honest.

Not everybody fits this category of course, but the number of people I know who got vaccinated first and foremost to protect themselves and/or other people from the virus is actually rather small.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Anecdotally I know a large number of people who “consented” on the basis that they had holidays booked, or wanted to be able to go clubbing, or were worried about losing their job, or thought life for the unvaccinated would be made ever more difficult. I’m struggling to see how that isn’t coercion to be honest.

Not everybody fits this category of course, but the number of people I know who got vaccinated first and foremost to protect themselves and/or other people from the virus is actually rather small.
I consider that coercion as well hence my comment, though I agree it wasn't the case for everyone

brad465

Established Member
China have made many mistakes on covid, the latest being thinking broadcasting the World Cup while many of their own citizens were locked down. Who knew FIFA might actually be a good revolutionary force for once?

Richard Scott

Established Member

I only had it so I could travel so was coerced. Would probably have had one but certainly wouldn't have bothered with booster or possibly even the second one.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I only had it so I could travel so was coerced. Would probably have had one but certainly wouldn't have bothered with booster or possibly even the second one.
To be honest the reason I had the two jabs was for travel, but I am not having any more.

Huge protests have broken out in China's Xinjiang province after 10 people were killed in an apartment building fire amid strict COVID lockdown restrictions.

A further nine people were injured in the apartment block blaze in Xinjiang's capital Urumqi on Thursday night, local authorities said.

Xinjiang, home to China's persecuted Uyghur minority, has experienced some of the country's longest lockdown restrictions, with reports of people left starving earlier in the year.

Many of the capital's four million residents have been unable to leave their homes for the past 100 days as Beijing pursues its "dynamic zero COVID" policy.

Following the blaze, which spread from the 15th to the 21st floor, people took to the streets and chanted "end the lockdown".

Videos circulating on Chinese social media showed residents shouting at officials in hazmat suits and singing a lyric from the national anthem: "Rise up, those who refuse to be slaves!"

Local officials held an impromptu news conference on Friday to deny claims rescue efforts at the apartment block were hampered by part of the building being under strict lockdown.

Last edited by a moderator:

kristiang85

Established Member
Huge protests in Shanghai too apparently, chanting for the communist party to leave and for people to throw away their masks.

Seasoned China commentators saying they've never seen anything like it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Huge protests in Shanghai too apparently, chanting for the communist party to leave and for people to throw away their masks.

Good for them. Hope they're protected by safety in numbers.

Cdd89

Established Member
The lockdown protests in China are very similar to the western lockdown protests in 2020, since the epidemiological situation is the same (no vaccination, no direct immunity).

The fact that, despite this, most people are strongly against China’s restrictions suggests a revisionist global view that lockdowns (and the consequent violation of civil liberties) were never ‘worth it’.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Even the BBC now have this on their front page:
Protests in China against government's strict Covid measures have intensified, with some people publicly venting their anger at the Communist Party leaders.
Thousands of protesters have turned out in Shanghai, where the BBC has seen people bundled into police cars.
Students have also demonstrated at universities in Beijing and Nanjing.
The latest unrest follows a protest in the remote north-west city of Urumqi,
People are also increasingly turning against Winnie the Pooh and his Communist regime:
During Saturday night's protest in Shanghai - China's biggest city and a global financial hub in the east of the country - people were heard openly shouting slogans such as "Xi Jinping, step down" and "Communist party, step down".
The Communists have two options: 1) back down or 2) slowly but surely relax the rules in a way that they attempt to 'save face' by saying that the virus and/or our immunity to it has changed and that measures can be relaxed.

They will never admit they are wrong, but if they don't start to reduce restrictions pretty damn quick, any option to save face may disappear.

I am glad China tried to impose zero Covid in a way; China's failure to achieve their aims has vindicated those of us who could see from the early stages that Sars-CoV-2 was going to become endemic

I won't forget the claims that if we had just locked down a bit earlier, harder or longer, the virus would have been eliminated. However, providing they admit they were wrong, I am happy to forgive!

Media outlets such as (and especially!) the BBC took a long time to admit this, but there are few people (outside the Communist party of China and their cronies) who can't accept this inevitability.

The government appears to have drastically underestimated growing discontent towards the zero-Covid approach - a policy inextricably linked to Mr Xi, who recently pledged there would be no swerving from the policy.
What's more, there is no easy way out of the corner the Party appears to have painted itself into.
It has had three years to prepare for an eventual reopening, but instead of building more hospital ICU units and emphasising the need for vaccinations, it has poured enormous resources into mass testing, lockdown and isolation facilities designed to win a war against a virus which is never going away

Last edited:

GS250

Good for them. Hope they're protected by safety in numbers.

Those Chinese protestors are currently getting a pat on the back from the same commentators who slated the (post vaccine) restriction protests in the West.

Dent

The lockdown protests in China are very similar to the western lockdown protests in 2020, since the epidemiological situation is the same (no vaccination, no direct immunity)
How are they still in a situation with no vaccination and no direct immunity? Vaccines are available and have been for nearly two years, and natural herd immunity has been developing for nearer three years.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How are they still in a situation with no vaccination and no direct immunity? Vaccines are available and have been for nearly two years, and natural herd immunity has been developing for nearer three years.
They have access to vaccines but there is very little immunity through natural infection in China, as the Communist regime has pursued and enforced a zero Covid policy of lockdowns and restrictions.

I remember 31 months ago saying I didn't think it likely that the virus could be eliminated:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...osure-to-the-virus.203531/page-3#post-4545567

Let's not forget people wanted zero Covid policies in the UK; those people were proven well and truly wrong. I can totally forgive those who admit they were wrong and apologise for it, but those who called for restrictions must accept responsibility for their mistakes, which were imposed on all of us.

Those who supported zero Covid are being well and truly proven wrong; those of us who spoke out are vindicated.

Last edited:

Dent

They have access to vaccines but there is very little immunity through natural infection in China, as the Communist regime has pursued and enforced a zero Covid policy of lockdowns and restrictions.
So they do have vaccination, so the claim I was replying to that the epidemiological situation is the same as in 2020 (no vaccination, no direct immunity) is not true.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I try not to get too involved with the Covid stuff these days (hello everyone! :lol:), but these people protesting are incredibly brave considering the repercussions that might fall upon them.
I hope that some good comes out of this.

DustyBin

Established Member
So they do have vaccination, so the claim I was replying to that the epidemiological situation is the same as in 2020 (no vaccination, no direct immunity) is not true.

In regard to vaccination, I believe they have two issues. Firstly very poor efficacy, and secondly low take up, particularly in the oldest age group rather bizarrely.

brad465

Established Member
I try not to get too involved with the Covid stuff these days (hello everyone! :lol:), but these people protesting are incredibly brave considering the repercussions that might fall upon them.
I hope that some good comes out of this.
Would it be great if the regimes of Iran, China and Russia all collapse within a year?

The protests are now serious enough for the BBC to have a live feed fronting the landing page about them:

Status
Not open for further replies.