• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks both, I'm rarely in place for the 0732 from Hereford so I won't often see it having a /1. More often either still in bed on a day off or getting ready for a day out at that time, if not already on the move elsewhere.

Energy

Established Member
SDO is operational on the NUN-LMS runs on a 172. The ASDO system in the 196s is currently isolated, so only a single 196/0 can run on the line at present.
Double checked - Bermuda Park and Bedworth may only be long enough for 3 cars, Kenilworth is 4 car and Coventry Arena is meant to take 6 car trains.

Amnesiac

Double checked - Bermuda Park and Bedworth may only be long enough for 3 cars, Kenilworth is 4 car and Coventry Arena is meant to take 6 car trains.
6 cars on the up only at Coventry Arena for 172s

Last edited:

newtownmgr

4 car 196’s have made appearances on Herefords but only limited use as they can’t stop at University inbound to Birmingham. That will/should be rectified by the December timetable as 4 cars will be needed.

112 is one of the training units at Worcester at present.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Just watched yesterday videos of the first 730 in service. Apart obviously from the traction, how do the 196s differ from the 730s?

GWVillager

Just watched yesterday videos of the first 730 in service. Apart obviously from the traction, how do the 196s differ from the 730s?
Rather a lot is different between them. The 730s, being Aventras, are noticeably wider, have less tapered bodies, different cabs, etc. etc. On the passenger side of things, they have (smaller) Kiel seats than the 196s’ FISA Leans, wider aisles, only 1 toilet (though the 196/0s only have 1 too), and different coach formations (3 rather than 2/4).

They’re completely different trains from different families and manufacturers, they just look quite similar.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Rather a lot is different between them. The 730s, being Aventras, are noticeably wider, have less tapered bodies, different cabs, etc. etc. On the passenger side of things, they have (smaller) Kiel seats than the 196s’ FISA Leans, wider aisles, only 1 toilet (though the 196/0s only have 1 too), and different coach formations (3 rather than 2/4).

They’re completely different trains from different families and manufacturers, they just look quite similar.
Amazing what cosmetics like paint (and seats ?) can do.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I was wondering.

What are all 12 of the 2-car 196/0s for ?.
I know the pairs of 2-cars on Hereford/Worcester will eventually be 4-car units.
That only leaves two 2-car 196s needed on Leamington/Nuneaton.

How many 2-car (4-car ?) 196s will be needed on Camp Hill (New Street to Kings Norton iirc) ?.

As for 4-car 196/1s.
With four or five on Shrewsburys and four, maybe more ? on Hereford/Worcester where will the rest get used (four out of fourteen) ?

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I was wondering.

I know the pairs of 2-cars on Hereford/Worcester will eventually be 4-car units.

How many 2-car (4-car ?) 196s will be needed on Camp Hill (New Street to Kings Norton iirc) ?.

As for 4-car 196/1s.
With four or five on Shrewsburys and four, maybe more ? on Hereford/Worcester where will the rest get used (four out of fourteen) ?
You must be aware of the plans to use them on East West Rail? :)

AJDesiro

I was wondering.

As for 4-car 196/1s.
6 of the 196/0 fleet are going to be used on EWR services, on sublease to Chiltern. I'd imagine one or two 2 car 196s will be needed for the Camp Hill local services. Leaving two 196/0s spare. There's 7 diagrams for the 196/1s off peak, 3 on Shrewsbury, 4 on Hereford, leaving 7 196/1s spare. I believe the reason for the surplus was because Shrewsbury was meant to be increased to 2tph, but thanks to COVID, it's currently at 1tph.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
You must be aware of the plans to use them on East West Rail? :)
I am aware but I assume that East-West Rail is so far into the future that anything could happen by then !.
What are the dates for EWR btw ?
6 of the 196/0 fleet are going to be used on EWR services, on sublease to Chiltern. I'd imagine one or two 2 car 196s will be needed for the Camp Hill local services. Leaving two 196/0s spare. There's 7 diagrams for the 196/1s off peak, 3 on Shrewsbury, 4 on Hereford, leaving 7 units spare overall. I believe the reason for the surplus was because Shrewsbury was meant to be increased to 2tph, but thanks to COVID, it's currently at 1tph.
Thanks.

So with 6 2-car for EWR and up to 3 extra 4-car spare post Covid that is nine not getting out and about (ignoring spares).

When does Camp Hill get going ?.

I better go get the 2-car 196/0s before they come off Herefords !.

Last edited:

AJDesiro

Thanks.

So with 6 2-car for EWR and up to 3 extra 4-car spare post Covid that is nine not getting out and about (ignoring spares).

Oops, thanks for pointing that out, I've corrected it now.

The Camp Hill service is supposedly going to start up in late 2024, but, as with all rail projects, it's anybody's guess.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I am aware but I assume that East-West Rail is so far into the future that anything could happen by then !.
What are the dates for EWR btw ?

Thanks.

Chiltern have already lodged an access request for EWR rail for driver training and route learning. As I understand it EWR is still on target for service starting December 2024.

As for the Camp Hill Line, looking at the Camp Hill thread on this forum, there has been no update since July 2023 when they were still talking about December this year but I think this is no longer likely.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Chiltern have already lodged an access request for EWR rail for driver training and route learning. As I understand it EWR is still on target for service starting December 2024.

As for the Camp Hill Line, looking at the Camp Hill thread on this forum, there has been no update since July 2023 when they were still talking about December this year but I think this is no longer likely.
Camp hill was delayed due to Buckingham Group folding. Next year some time

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Any news on the retrofitting of panels to the centre(ish) of 4car (196/1s) for Herefords ?.

Any news on how many 2car (196/0s) are being used on Herefords (or thereabouts) ?.
Is it still just the 2 or 3 diagrams Starting 12:50 & 13:50 then four hours later at 16:50 & 17:50 plus the extra at 17:20 ?.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is it still just the 2 or 3 diagrams Starting 12:50 & 13:50 then four hours later at 16:50 & 17:50 plus the extra at 17:20 ?.
Certainly was on Wednesday. The peak extra is the 17:50 return to Worcester, as the working at 13:50 goes back out as the 17:20.

Add on two on the Leamington Spa to Nuneaton service means up to 8 2-cars in use.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Certainly was on Wednesday. The peak extra is the 17:50 return to Worcester, as the working at 13:50 goes back out as the 17:20.

Add on two on the Leamington Spa to Nuneaton service means up to 8 2-cars in use.
Thnks, so far no change either way then. I am planning a day trip next Tuesday or Wednesday to cover those and the Shrewsbury 196/1s (4car).

From 14:51 to 17:50 seems to be the bumper time at Birmingham New Street with eleven units there, "rush hour" so no surprise of course.
A flypast of Tyseley and then some time at Coventry.

Main aim is to get all the 196/0s (2cars) before they become rather surplus for roughly a year so then thin on the ground.

Last edited:

GWVillager

Any news on the retrofitting of panels to the centre(ish) of 4car (196/1s) for Herefords ?.

Any news on how many 2car (196/0s) are being used on Herefords (or thereabouts) ?.
Nothing can change on the diagram front until the panels are fitted (and they haven’t been yet!). They also run 4 hours earlier (08:50 and 09:50).

newtownmgr

Camp hill was delayed due to Buckingham Group folding. Next year some time
Dec 24 at the earliest. Various problems at all 3 station sites. Have been told but honestly can’t remember. If station construction goes anything like the new university station they might open before the end of the decade.

Nothing can change on the diagram front until the panels are fitted (and they haven’t been yet!). They also run 4 hours earlier (08:50 and 09:50).
4 car sets potentially in use from the 3rd Dec on amended diagrams with full introduction on Herefords from 10th Dec with a revised stopping point at the end of the platform at the 5/6 marker.
Whilst it will be a bit further for the passengers to walk until the new entrance opens it won’t be an issue in the long run.

GWVillager

4 car sets potentially in use from the 3rd Dec on amended diagrams with full introduction on Herefords from 10th Dec with a revised stopping point at the end of the platform at the 5/6 marker.
Whilst it will be a bit further for the passengers to walk until the new entrance opens it won’t be an issue in the long run.
Oh that’s excellent! Fantastic to see some initiative prevail on the railways.

Is this a broken cab on 196009? The PIS was playing up, too.

Attachments

• IMG_1571.jpeg
    IMG_1571.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 102
Last edited: